Start by marking “Snow Melts in Spring” as Want to Read:
Snow Melts in Spring

Snow Melts in Spring (Seasons of the Tallgrass #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Mattie Evans, a young veterinarian in rural Kansas, saves a horse injured in a terrible accident. But she also finds herself tending the wounded relationship between a prodigal son and his ailing father. Love, conflict, forgiveness, and renewal drive the first book of the Seasons of the Tallgrass series.
Published August 30th 2009 by Zondervan (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Snow Melts in Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Melts in Spring

Lori
Dec 03, 2009 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian fiction fans, contemporary fiction fans
When I first saw this book in the CBD catalog, I thought it was going to be a romance. It does have some romance, but it's also a very emotional story about forgiveness ~ whether it's forgiving others, yourself, or trusting that God has truly forgiven you when you accepted him into your heart.

Mattie Evans has always loved the Flint Hills of Kansas, and she can't understand why anyone would ever want to leave. Even though her family has decided to move away, Mattie has chosen to stay and is now t
ReviewsByMolly
Jun 11, 2010 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: Deborah Vogts
Deborah Vogts is a wonderful author and Snow Melts in Spring was her debut novel. I am truly thankful that Deborah allowed me to review this book before I read her second Seasons of the Tallgrass book, Seeds of Summer.

In Snow Melts in Spring, Mattie is vet hired to take care of Dusty, her long time friend's son's horse who was hit by a drunk driver. She is struggling with not allowing her self to become attached to this horse, but then the owner, shows up and she's struggling even more with emot
Cindy
Seasons of the Tallgrass
Snow Melts in Spring Book One
Deborah Vogts
2009
Zondervan
Christian Fiction

Reviewed by Cindy Loven

Dr. Mattie Evans is in love, with the Flint Hills of Kansas, she loves the land, she loves the people and she loves the animals. Veterinarian Mattie Evans is building a practice, slowly but surely in the area she loves, when troubles beset her, animals she is treating dies, a horrible accident leaves the horse of a famous home town hero injured so badly she suggests putting it d
Keli Gwyn
Mattie Evans, a dedicated veterinarian, loves animals, her independence and her beloved Flint Hills of Kansas. Gil McCray, rodeo hero turned football star, headed to California after the death of his brother and has no desire to return to a place filled with painful memories.

When Gil’s favorite horse is injured, he grudgingly makes a visit to his father’s ranch. Sparks fly between Gil and his dad, who’ve been sparring for years, but another kind of spark flares when he meets the spunky vet carin
Clockstein Lockstein
Snow Melts in Spring by Deborah Vogts is the first book in the Seasons of Tallgrass series. Mattie Evans has happily devoted her life to the Flint Hills of Kansas, working as a veterinarian and trying to find a way to buy her own ranch so she can ride its beloved hills. Gil McCray left those hills at the first chance he got and because successful as pro football player, but after his retirement from the game, he returns home to help his ailing father repair the family ranch and to check on his i ...more
Amydeanne
Deborah Vogts debut novel Snow Melts in Spring , the first in the Seasons of the Tallgrass series, is full of romance, and untamed emotions that only God can teach us to conquer.

I love Deborah’s characters. She made them believable and easy to get along with. I was right away drawn to the heroine of the story Mattie and her love for the land and her heart for service. I liked her drive and personality, but I loved that she had issues as well and that she needed to work them out.

Gil – the leading
Valerie Comer
Young veterinarian Mattie Evans calls the Flint Hills of Kansas home, even though her parents lost their ranch here in an unscrupulous business deal years before. The locals aren’t sure she can manage a vet practice, and Mattie struggles to prove her competence. When an aging horse escapes his pasture and is hit by a drunk driver, Mattie’s instincts tell her not even to fight. No use. The horse is a goner. But the old man who owns the horse is one of the few that have stood by her so, for his sa ...more
Britni
When I was given the chance to review Snow Melts in Spring, I jumped at the chance. The book description- Mattie Evans is a female vet living on a ranch in Kansas - reminded me of my mom, so I figured I would enjoy the book. And I did. Mattie Evans is a vet with a stroke of bad luck. First, her parents get bought out of their land and have to move to the city, then a number of her animals die, her clinic burns down, and to make matters worse, she meets a former professional football player name ...more
Michelle
Snow Melts in Spring is a good romance packed with tender moments between the main characters and yummy kisses that'd make any romance lover sigh. While a bit repetitious in some areas -like the reasons for the characters not being a good match, I still enjoyed the story and read it fairly quickly. I liked the heroine's vet job and some of the conflict she had resulting from a sense of failure even though she'd done the best she could. I also loved the guilt issue from a past action that plagued ...more
Jane
Mattie Evans, a Vet, is called to a drunk driving accident to tend to a horse. I know - that first part caught my attention and I wondered what that had to do with story. I like how Deborah brought circumstances and rough events to life like actually happen to people in their lives. Faith, forgiveness, and healing of wounds both physical and emotional are brought to life.
I liked how the relationship between Matti and Gil had it's rough areas to work through as all relationships do. A Dad and a s
Crystal Laine
Mattie Evans, a veterinarian who grew up in the famous Flint Hills of Kansas, is having a tough time gaining the confidence of the local ranchers. Her biggest supporter is an old rancher named John McCray, who also loves the Flint Hills and ranching. When an injured horse brings Mattie into contact with John's son, Gil, who has been out of touch with his dad while playing pro football, conflict strikes.

This is a gorgeous book and Vogt's love of horses and the famous last tall native prairie gra
William Leverne
Outstanding debut novel... I am really looking forward to Seeds of Summer next spring. All of the elements of a Romance Novel are covered with the skill of an experienced writer. The Kansas Flint Hills characters are very real; expertly portrayed. I did oral histories with a number of folks just like John McCray a few years ago.... This portrayal is "right on." The emotions are correct, the physical attributes are described accurately. Using the character Jake to talk to Gil to get at the final ...more
Carman
This is a heartwarming tale about letting go of guilt, and following your true dreams. I loved how Deborah matched Dusty’s stages of healing with that of his owner’s, and how she used Mattie to get Gil to face up to his past. This book really shows that the dreams we sometimes want, aren’t really the ones that will make us happy, and that we should give everything to God. Because when we give it to Him, He can give us something so much better in return. I was on the edge of my seat there at the ...more
Crazyreadingma
This is a new author for me and I thoroughly enjoyed reading her book. I was disappointed to find that
she only has 2 books in this series so far. The story was constantly moving at all times and had some
surprises throughout. It was NOT predictable and kept you interested. This author uses some different
techniques that were new to me. I am already reading the 2nd book in this Series. It is a good Christian
fiction that I would recommend.
Melinda
enjoyable yet predictable. A lonely veterinarian who loves the countryside meets a pro football player who can't wait to get away from the country side and back to the big city, at odds from the beginning. It's a story of sticking to your dreams but knowing when to compromise. Well written and I did enjoy this novel, I just wish more Christian fiction had unexpected twists and turns.
Tausha
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It wasn't a "stay up all night to finish" type book but it was still enjoyable. It had a strong message of faith and forgiveness without being to preachy. Honestly....I think I liked it the most because I fell in love with Dusty ( yes, the horse). ;)
Nell
I thought this was just another "romance novel" but it turned out
to be spiritual. After I saw it was published by Zonderman I wasn't so surprised. It was enjoyable reading especially if you know anything about the Flint Hills of Kansas.
Jessica
Oh my, this was not my kind of book, but that's what book club is all about; stretching yourself to try new kinds of books. I think this may be my third Christian romance book and it still isn't my thing.
Kathy
A great debut novel. Enjoyed reading about Mattie Evans a young veternarian in Kansas and her adventures on the ranch she loves especially when a retired NFL football player comes back to town.
Christian Fiction. Love it. Tells a story about how families learn to give each other space and permission to live their lives. Show the dangers of not communicating with your loved ones.;
Pam
This book was okay for Christian romance. If I must read Christian romance, then I prefer there to be something else going on -- some suspense, mystery, or interesting historical events.
Cindy
A wonderful Christian Fiction story about a couple who find themselves while they're finding each other. Sometimes the best things in life are the things you already have!
Elaine
This was an easy to read christian romance that dealt with a lot of issues that everyday people run across. I really enjoyed this book
Jan
The constant changing of thoughts got a little heavy and at times made the guy look a bit whimpy otherwise a pretty decent story.
Kaylynn Johnsen
This book is just okay. The writing is rather juvenile and the characters drove me crazy. The ending wrapped to too quickly, too neatly.
Lois
This book made me bake. Enjoyed the story. Lesson learned: driving drunk may hurt or kill self and others, don't chance it!
♫Angielee♫
This book was free for my kindle.

It was actually an okay romance novel. Not to smutty. I liked the cowboys
Mar 18, 2011 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom
Recommended to Laura by: Olsburg Library
Shelves: kansas
This book was a quick read that sucked you in early. It's about healing in more ways than one. : )
Dana Kennedy
Excellent story and character development.
Am looking forward to upcoming books in this series!
Chellaj
I got this book free on my kindle and was pleasantly surprised! Ahhh, a refreshing romance novel.
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • Midnight Caller (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense #190)
  • Dark Pursuit
  • A Match Made in Texas (Chatam House #2)
  • Tender Graces
  • The Homeplace
  • My Deadly Valentine
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Sushi for One?
  • The Real Enemy
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1)
  • Beneath a Southern Sky (Natalie Camfield, #1)
  • Daisy Chain (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #1)
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • A Promise to Remember
Deborah Vogts is an author for Zondervan and writes contemporary inspirational fiction. Seeds of Summer, her second book in the Seasons of the Tallgrass series is set to release May 2010. The first book, Snow Melts in Spring is available in stores now.

In writing the Seasons of the Tallgrass series, she hopes to share her passion for one of the last tallgrass prairie regions in the world, showing
More about Deborah Vogts...
Seeds of Summer