Start by marking “To Account for Murder” as Want to Read:
To Account for Murder

To Account for Murder

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  11 reviews

Loss haunts Charlie Cahill. He has lost his belief in the great game of the law, a game that is fixed from the beginning. He lost his father, who drowned during Prohibition smuggling whiskey across the Detroit River. He lost his left arm below the elbow to German machine-gun fire on D-Day. And he may lose the one thing that still matters to him, the woman who rescued him f

Published November 1st 2010 by Permanent Press (NY)

To ask other readers questions about To Account for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Account for Murder

Sheila
William C. Whitbeck’s novel, To Account for Murder, recounts far more than just a simple murder. Frankie’s father, the legendary Charles Cahill, is dying and insists on telling one last tale before the end, a Rubik’s cube of a tale where every angle is a different color and every detail needs to shift before it finds its place. The elder Cahill left his arm on the battlefield in World War II. Afterwards he tried to pick up his life and left a dead senator in a field in Michigan.

Old friends and e
Tina
Lisa
I received this book throough LibraryThing’s Early Reviewer program. William Whitbeck’s novel To Account for Murder, is a wonderful, page-turning read. The novel, based on the true 1945 gang murder of Senator Warren G. Hooper, reads as a very appealing piece of fiction. Corruption, sex, murder, and politics all combine to make a mesmerizing piece of literature. I literally could not put this book down, and had to stay up half the night in order to finish, all the way to the terrific twist, and v ...more
Rebecca Cohen
Jed L
Don't read. Badly written, uninspiring plot, boring characters--perhaps shallow one dimensional characters is a better description. This was a goodreads giveaway that didn't do anything for me.

I received this book via a Goodread's giveaway.
Gayle Jackobs
I just received this book and read it all in one night! It was a page turner. I am in Michigan and could relate to the cities and sites mentioned. I highly recommend this book!
Mary
I won To Account for Murder from First Reads and am eager to read it now that it has arrived. This book looks good.
Brett E.
Fine plot, richly developed protagonist; the last chapters flew by til its gripping climax. A very good work!
Jessica Applin
I <3 this book, he is a great writer, and his opinions are page turners as well!
Mary
extra star for local history
Lori
May 29, 2010 Lori marked it as to-read
galley from BBC
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Stephanie Buck
Stephanie Buck marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Stormnangel
Stormnangel marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
William Whitbeck
William Whitbeck marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2013
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Ayyoub
Ayyoub marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2012
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Michele Piccini
Michele Piccini marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2012
Renata
Renata marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2012
Allison Campbell
Allison Campbell marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2012
Maree Cox-Baker
Maree Cox-Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Xiri
Xiri marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 31, 2012