Start by marking “Brightest Star In The Sky, The” as Want to Read:
Brightest Star In The Sky, The

Brightest Star In The Sky, The

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  14,105 ratings  ·  1,070 reviews
Fate is on its way to the tenants of 66 Star Street, bringing with it love and tragedy, friendship and heartbreak, and the power to change lives ... One of them is falling in love; another is torn between two lovers. For some, secrets they want to stay buried will come to light and for others the unveiling of those secrets will have tragic consequences.
Published December 21st 2010 by Penguin UK (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Brightest Star In The Sky, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brightest Star In The Sky, The

Chloe
The residents of 66 Star Street in Dublin are all being watched… but by what? Maeve and Matt seem happy enough to anybody looking in, but behind the facade is a truth that neither of them wants to be made public. Katie and Conall have a love/hate relationship, but how will the arrival of TV gardener Fionn affect their relationship?

Lydia lives with Polish men Andrei and Jan, but can’t stand either of them… not to mention the problems Lydia is having with her own mother as well. And Jemima lives w
Nikki
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

Before I start, I should say that I adore Marian Keyes. I’ve read all of her books; I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, and I’ve loved almost every word. I could probably go as far to say that I worship the ground she walks on.

So it pains me to say that I struggled with this book.

The story focuses around a small block of flats in Dublin, and a mysterious character that is watching over all of its residents. This supernatural visitor, who acts as a narrator, is able to see in
Kirstine
Why did I read this book? I was waiting in the library and it looked interesting.

Am I regretting it? No, I'm not. Not really.

The thing is, if this book had held on to the atmosphere and narration from the beginning, it would have gotten 4 stars. I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. Instead it suddenly turns from "oh, warm, cozy book about love and loss and finding yourself in a world of turmoil" to "PAIN AND ANGER (view spoiler)
Sophie
Jul 02, 2012 Sophie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't recommend this book
Shelves: 2000-onwards
I found the characters well rounded and despite their diverse personalities they were for the most part likeable - with one very large exception.

Although the story jumps about a fair amount, it is still quite easy to follow once you adapt to the style.

From a negative point of view, I did not enjoy the story, and found the book quite a distressing read.

****Contains Spoilers****

(view spoiler)
Emma Meade
As with all of her books, The Brightest Star in the Sky hooked me early on. Mind you I wasn’t very sure what exactly was going on at the start, or who the unusual narrator was but Marian’s typical wit and flair for comedy kept me turning the pages. I even missed Desperate Housewives because I had my head stuck in the book and I should probably thank Ms. Keyes for this also.
There are so many fun and varied characters to get to grips with and as is usual with Keyes, her women have strong personali
Rachel
I've read several of Marian Keyes's novels in recent years. It seems that I continue to pick up better and better novels. I originally thought she was a fluff chick-lit author after reading Angels and Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, but was pleasantly surprised by Anybody Out There? Given the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this novel, I jumped at the chance.

A great asset to this book are the levels of mystery that begin right on the first page. The chapters are labeled as days and ser
Anne
I've been a massive Marian Keyes fan since way back in 1995 when I read 'Watermelon', and I've read every one of her book since then, some have been better than others, especially those that feature the Walsh family, but I've enjoyed all of them.

Marian Keyes' books always contain hilarious one-liners, wittily drawn characters that are warm and that the reader cares about whilst usually dealing with quite serious and often serious issues.

To me, this almost feels like s lagging off one of my best
Faith
The magic of Marian? I didn't particularly like this book but still enjoyed reading it.

To start from the good things: Marian is good at characters. I always love her sympathetic characters. That's why I more or less enjoy reading her books regardless of my other objections. Even if I don't like the story, I want to know what happens to the characters. Other good points are that Marian is always light reading and always humorous and funny.

But. Otherwise Marian's books have deteriorated in standar
Arielle Walker
It pains me to give this one star (and I'd prefer to give it 1.5 but that can't be helped) as I love Marian Keyes, but this book took me by surprise, and not in a good way. I figured out the big secret with Maeve early on, but I'm not sure whether that was due to it being obvious, or more a recognition of subtle signs, so maybe not everyone would work it out so quickly. I understand that having any warning as to what had happened would essentially take away any suspense in the story, but if I ha ...more
Rainbow
So, obviously, I've been on a Marian Keyes binge. This completes my library. It's her most recent book and, I think, her best.

Every time I review one of Keyes's books, goodreads suggests some vapid chick lit author, and I have to say, she doesn't belong with them. She is SO GOOD. Her voice is nearly perfect and she can juggle a dozen different characters, making them all sound distinct and distinctly funny.

I just LOVE her.
Kelly Hager
This took me a little while to get into but once I did, it was magic.

It centers around four apartments in Dublin and the lives of their inhabitants. Here's what Amazon says:

"Marian Keyes's inimitable blend of rollicking humor, effervescent prose, and stories that deal with real-life issues have captivated readers around the globe. She is one of the bestselling authors of women's fiction in the English-speaking world. Her new novel will delight fans of Candace Bushnell's darkly comic sensibility
Ash
Just finished reading the book fifteen minutes ago, and am slightly scarred by the ending. Very graphic and dramatic and the just-desserts for David seemed unbelievable. However, the writing was good and it was an enjoyable read, if you're in the mood for something heavy. Let me clarify that this is not in any way a beach read, particularly the final 50 or so pages. Many characters - Rosie in particular - I really wanted to slap. She's like an annoying neighbour that pops over unannounced and st ...more
Britany
This was a quirky fun read involving a third person narrator who comes to "check in" on the residents of 66 Star Street. All of the characters are funny and each is faced with their own sets of probelms.

For me, this carried on a bit too long for my taste, and the majority of the story could've been accomplished and written in half the number of pages that it was. I did enjoy glancing in on people's lives and how they interacted and were attracted to one another.
Adriana
Marian Keyes is one of my favorite writers. However, like other reader reviews I've read, I have to say that this book did not do it for me.

Marian Keyes is not just your typical chick lit author. She really elevates the genre by pulling in more serious issues. I loved the way she moved from goofy to intense in This Charming Man, but it just didn't grip me the same way in the Brightest Star in the Sky. Maybe it was a little too much too late? Or maybe I just didn't care. I'm not sure what preven
Ms Tlaskal
I know, I know, it's trashy, but I challenge you to read one of her books and not be able to stop, like the mars bars that Connell, one of the main men is always chomping down. The plot is predictable and by the end... a join the dots conclusion but what she does well, is getting you hooked on her characters and her turns of phrase lift it out of the ordinary gold embossed cover fare. She describes Connell as wearing the kind of quality dark suits 'you sign peace treaties in'. There is a mystery ...more
I got an advanced reader's copy as a "free gift" at the Bookcellar (hint, when you buy something off their recommended wall, what you get is a random mystery book wrapped in paper). I read it in a sitting.

I don't want to give too much away about the conceit that frames the story (which I found to be, frankly, vomitous) but the characters and day to day story involve your mix of middle class white people living in an apartment building in Dublin (very Tales of the City), they have jobs and romant
Amanda
Sheena Lambert
What is it about Marian Keyes? Her books are so readable, without being trashy. I'm always miserable when I finish her new one, knowing it could be a year (or two) before then next one is out. She is associated with chick-lit, but she writes QUALITY chick-lit, unlike a lot of the other authors that try and market themselves as Marian Keyes-esque. There's just something about Marian.

I could review all her novels, because I've read them all. But in the end, every reveiw would be the same. A qualit
Kat
I definitely needed to read a novel like this! It's been some time since I read something happy-go-lucky and it provided just that kind of entertainment.

I laughed and smiled all through reading this book, Marian Keyes has such an easy-going language and writes her characters so wonderfully cynical and sarcastic that I can't help but feeling intimately connected to them. We have so much in common! I'm still smiling.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
A bit odd - especially who the narrator(s) turn out to be - but a very funny, sad, engaging novel. Unlike any other Keyes novel, but still chock full of her wit, charm, and immense storytelling ability.
Antoinette
First I have to tell you what my kids did this weekend--well, OK, I would if I knew. I have no idea because I had my nose in this book the entire time except when they had the nerve to fight loudly enough that I couldn't concentrate and had to separate them and, you know, do some parenting or whatever. Is this a great book? No. Did I love it? Yes. Marian Keyes knows how to write an entertaining story and how to craft believable characters. Many of her novels, especially her later ones, touch on ...more
Becky R.
Throughout the story, you follow the lives of the different characters . As is familiar today, we watch one character's story, then move on to another, examining how they all intersect. In this story, they do all rub shoulders eventually, but not all for one overriding story. Each story is important. There is the old lady with her dog, the young TV gardening star, the young married couple who seem "old," the 40ish single professional woman (dating her boss, no less), and the 20ish female taxi dr ...more
Melissa
Marian Keyes is usually my go-to for a quick, engrossing, cheeky read. Her characters are always battling something heavy--addiction, divorce, death of a spouse, but it's always handled in a way that makes you laugh with them and ultimately want to read on and root for them.

But there was something different about this book.

Maybe it was the characters. I really hated Matt, who was weak, squishy and basically had no will. I understood Maeve's plight (especially since she has the world's worst th
Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea)
When people ask me who my favourite authors are and I start gushing over Marian Keyes' amazingness, they tend to think: right, she's a chick-lit girl. She's living in her fairytale world, likes pink, wears high heels 24/7, is addicted to chocolate and most importantly, doesn't like classic literature.Those people who tend to label us for reading chick-lit should be prepared because are in for a surprise. The Brightest Star in the Sky is so much more than just a nice story.

On a bright summer day,
Juliana Graham
Whilst this wasn't my favourite Marian Keyes book, I enjoyed it and found it definitely worth persevering with, unlike many reviewers who seemed to give up too quickly in my view!

Anyone who compared it to the frankly dreadful 'If You Could See Me Now' by Cecelia Ahern must have been reading a different book. The supernatural 'spirit' who narrated the book was really just a device to allow for an 'omniscient narrator' - he/she/it did not interfere with the story in any way and I think it was qui
Judith Lewis
Another find on the bookshelves of our holiday cottage and just the thing for a quick, light read. A pleasing array of characters, some of the apparent stereotypes taking one by surprise as the book goes on. While none of them are developed in great depth, most of them are engaging to some extent and you want to know what happens to them - especially, as time goes on, to the apparently ordinary couple in the basement flat. The one who works least well is Fionn, a gardener who breaks into the com ...more
Andrea (Cozy Up With A Good Read)
I thought this book was really cute. Marian Keyes has a way of writing her characters so that you can't help but fall in love with them. I've read some of her other books and her stories are always interesting and I always find myself not being able to put the book down.

This book had a bit of a slow start to it because there are just so many characters, and you know that they are going to connect in some way but it takes awhile to get to that point. Marian Keyes takes her time getting to the ba
Caitlin
Shonna Froebel
Well Marian Keyes and has done it again and even better than before. Instead of her usual focus on one woman and her life, this book looks at the inhabitants of four apartments in a low-rise building in Dublin. We see how their lives intertwine, what issues each character is going through and how they deal with those issues.
As usual we do not have complete knowledge of any given character, but enought to get a feel for what is happening, what has happened and what may be on the horizon for them.
  • The Making of Us
  • The Difference a Day Makes
  • Becoming Scarlett
  • Homecoming
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • The Perfect Man
Marian Keyes, born September 10, 1963, is a popular Irish writer, considered to be one of the original progenitors of "chick lit". Keyes' first novel, Watermelon, was published in Ireland in 1995. Since then she has published seven further novels and two collections of non-fiction, and has sold 15 million copies of her books in 30 languages.

More about Marian Keyes...
Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1) Sushi for Beginners Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2) Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4) Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

“Minsk! How pissed-off that sounded! It was great. You could scare the bejayzus out of someone if you said it right.” 8 likes
“You have a magnificent moustache. You must be very proud of it.” 5 likes