Start by marking “Apologizing to Dogs” as Want to Read:
Apologizing to Dogs

Apologizing to Dogs

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Times are tough for the antique dealers working on Worth Row. This is not to say, however, that it is by any means quiet on the Row, a place where bathtubs double as lawn furniture and adultery, bribery and larceny are commonplace. From the quirky to the certifiable, it seems that everyone has something to hide -- from their cus- tomers, spouses and even themselves. But wh ...more
Published September 11th 2001 by Touchstone (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Apologizing to Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apologizing to Dogs

Shauna
Quirky, zany and fun. I loved the similes. The characters were multifaceted - though difficult to keep track of at the beginning. Thank goodness there was a map of Worth Row Antiques to refer to. Some language and affairs, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Favorite quotes:
"Books were too small to contain lives, always promised more and realized less. Her own life was an example. What book approached its audacity, its scale, its hidden grandeur, its intricacy, its depth of emotion, its level of
Krisnow18
The style of this is totally different from the previous Joe Coomer that I read. Totally enjoyed it, too. A story of one street, one day. The street is a small one, it used to be well known for it's antique stores but, due to the new mall, it has gone down hill. Secrets that have long been hidden come to the surface, in part due to a sudden and violent storm. Super characters. Some you will like, some you won't. And through it all - the dog. The story is told mostly through the eyes of one of th ...more
Robert Beveridge
Joe Coomer, Apologizing to Dogs (Scribner's, 1999)

Apologizing to Dogs does, finally, take off. If you're fifty pages into it and ready to throw it into the fire, take heed; it does eventually start going somewhere. The problem is, it takes so long to get there.

Apologizing to Dogs is, ultimately, the story of Worth Row, a series of antique shops in Fort Worth, Texas, and its inhabitants (including the stray dog to whom one character apologizes). Worth Row has stood for years, with inhabitants com
Louise
Whoa! Not quite sure how to comment about this novel? I wanted to read it mainly because of the title and figured it would have 'something' to do with dogs! Not to be, well, unless you count the strays hanging around underneath the house next door to Effie.

I think the author was attempting to be "quirky and original" but somehow lost his way. The characters were quite eccentric and the one I got the most kick out of was Effie. A 71-year-old snoopy, antique dealer who has had a store on Worth Row
Phair
This was like watching a very weird & farcical yet strangely compelling soap opera. Lots of characters and as usual I have a really hard time remembering who's who so I referred frequently to the handy little map of the Row to get my bearings. Can't say as I was completely satisfied with the ending. It felt unfinished to me. Overall it was fun and I liked the way the pov kept moving around with short bursts from various characters. I may have to check out this author's other books if they h ...more
Jesse Nolan
This book was quite different than the books that I have read lately. In the beginning of the book the author, Joe Coomer, switches between narration and jounal entries a little too much for my liking. The author of the journal entries, Effie, is a crazy old bird of a lady who thinks everyone is out to get her and her precious antiques. The characters in the book all live on this one street in Texas, and they all sell antique goods from their houses. Coomer does a good job of making this interes ...more
Christa
Just a fun read!
Karschtl
Ich habe schon ein anderes Buch von Joe Comer gelesen, das ich sehr witzig fand. Ich denke auch, dass dieses hier gar nicht so schlecht ist.
Aber nachdem mir bis Seite 50 die einzelnen Charaktere und deren Geschichte immer noch recht egal waren, habe ich beschlossen, nicht weiter meine Zeit zu 'vergeuden', auch wenn ich sicher schon deutlich schlechtere Bücher bis zum Ende durchgehalten habe. Schade, vielleicht greife ich es zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt ja noch einmal an.
Mark
Takes just a bit of effort to get going on this one, as the style of writing and the number of characters takes a bit to sink in, but it is a quirky and hilarious book. One of my favorite reads of all time, and probably one of the strongest contemporary authors. He'd better be writing something new!

I've probably purchased a dozen copies of this book and given them to friends and family over the years. Everyone has enjoyed it immensely.
Nadine
Dec 15, 2013 Nadine marked it as couldn-t-get-through-it
One of my favorite authors gave this 5 stars and I liked another Coomer book "The Loop", but this one was too twee for me. But it does have some great writing - like this simile on the first page:

"His elbows rested on the bar and his two front teeth sat on his lower lip like a washer and dryer, the washer having wobbled away on spin cycle leaving a gap between his teeth large enough to see a pink wad of lint which was his tongue."
Victoria
This is a strange, but entertaining book. It was quite funny and very strangely written with different P.O.V.s all over the place. I don't know that I would read another book by this author though everything was well-written. The characters were certainly ridiculous, but I don't know how well it ended - some storylines weren't wrapped up enough. I don't think I would recommend it either... It was just missing something...
Barb
Nearly abandoned... couldn't understand Coomer's voice. Certainly NOT the Coomer of Beachcoming ... or Pocketful of Names. However, the different story-telling-style made me curious. What WAS the story??? Well, about half-way through, I was laughing out loud! Chuckling at Effie, marveling at the secrets untold and interpretations and surprises I learned! I compromised with the 3-star rating.
Mendy
This book is for anyone who like s slow to start books with absolutely no background information and that starts in the middle of everyone stories! It was very hard to get into but I had read the reviews so I stuck with it. Once it gets going and you figure out each character it is an enjoyable little book. Having lived in Fort Worth for the past 11 years it was fun to read about my old haunts!
Mary Lou
Jan 15, 2010 Mary Lou rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary Lou by: Bedette
There’s only one dog in it, not negatively portrayed, so I don’t get the title, perhaps for lack of something better. 12 houses on a run-down southern street occupied primarily but not entirely by antiques selling same. The neighborhood gossip with her journal entries is amusing, eventually tiresome. There’s enough stuff going on for a whole set of “Desperate Housewives”.
Nancy Wilson
I was absolutely clueless as to what I was walking into but after a couple of minutes of feeling like I was in Sound and Fury, I got a handle on it and it became a fun read. The action takes place in one day on Worth Row but what a day. Long buried secrets are spilled, lives are changed forever and in the end it was a run ride.
Joanne
Another great Joe Coomer novel......I love his quirky and unique characters - this one has some of his best! And they all live in their shops on an Antique Row in Texas - love the way their lives intermingle and relationships get revealed Joe Coomer style!
Nelda
Quotes from the book:
“I’ve just been waiting for this moment for so long, and now this is the last of the waiting.”

“It’s all new to me. The past isn’t at all what I expected. My own mother is a different person now than the day she died.”

Mary-Beth
A street of antique shops and all of the lives lived out there, seen primarily through the obsessive writings of a crazy old lady. The title is clearly just there for attention getting, but it's an interesting story, nevertheless, if a bit unhinged.
Jenny
Fun to read about places that you know like the inside of your underwear drawer.
More fun to know the author and hear his voice reading to you.

One day, one story tumbling over another. it's all good fun.
Bill Lancaster
Not nearly as satisfying as his others that I have read, so disappointment abounds--not enough to put me off finding other works by him. Hope to come across something as lovely as The Loop again.
Jean
Didn't know what to expect, but loved the unexpectedness of the story. Have read two other Coomer books, but thought this far outshone The Loop and Beachcombing for a Shipwrecked God.
Dee
I really liked this book. It was filled with quirky characters and had a decent mystery, too. And the dogs were delightful.
John
I liked the entries of the "narrator", Effie; however, I just couldn't get into some of the other plotlines much at all.
Sylvia
I didn't want to put this down. Quirky, funny, sad, and sweet characters--a unique novel.
Leslie
This is the only Coomer book I jad to work a bit to get onto. Once it gets going, it is pure fun.
Robin Berry
I loved this crazy book with it's vivdid, zany characters. I couldn't put it down.
Kelly English
Could not put it down as much as I sometimes wanted to! Strange - but good read.
John Tweedie
Another great read by Joe Coomrr, full of surprises and quirky characters.
Kate
small neighborhood drama of an unusual and highly entertaining variety.
Cathy
This book made me laugh out loud throughout. Bizarre, but wonderful.
  • Man Of The House
  • City of Ash
  • Church of the Dog
  • Heroic Measures
  • Dolly City
  • The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
  • The Road To Ruin (Dortmunder, #11)
  • Romancing the Dog: The Struggle to Make a Pound Dog Happy in Beverly Hills
  • The House on Coliseum Street
  • Corgi in the Cupcakes (Animal Ark #55)
  • Kate Vaiden
  • Perfect Challenge (Thoroughbred, #52)
  • In Search of Africa
  • Angel Dogs: Divine Messengers of Love
  • Weber's Way to Grill: The Step-by-Step Guide to Expert Grilling
  • Your Dog Is Your Mirror: The Emotional Capacity of Our Dogs and Ourselves
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)
  • The Cloud Sketcher: A Novel
Joe Coomer is a fiction and nonfiction writer who lives outside of Fort Worth, Texas, and on the coast of Maine. He "spends his winters in Springtown, Texas, where he runs a pair of large antique malls. He lives in a fairly new Victorian house that he spent a year and a half building in the late eighties, a project he wrote about in Dream House [1991]. His wife, Isabelle Tokumaru, runs her paintin ...more
More about Joe Coomer...
Pocketful of Names: A Novel Beachcombing for a Shipwrecked God The Loop One Vacant Chair Sailing in a Spoonful of Water