Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula: The Adventure of the Solitary Grave” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula: The Adventure of the Solitary Grave

Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula: The Adventure of the Solitary Grave (The Supernatural Case Files of Sherlock Holmes #1)

Published (first published September 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula

M.R. Graham
A fun story. Klaver does an excellent job of capturing the language of the Adventures, the love between Holmes and Watson, and the air of crime-ridden Victorian London.
My only complaint is that Klaver's vampires are of a decidedly modern variety, having very little to do with Stoker's creation. I could tell that tremendous pains were taken to remain - as far as possible, given the subject matter - true to the Holmesian Canon, and I wish similar care had been taken with the Count and his fellows
Heath Lowrance
Jun 11, 2012 Heath Lowrance rated it it was amazing
What's most remarkable about this story is the degree of authenticity Klaver gives it-- it reads just like a story by Doyle (or Watson, if you prefer!). The attention to Victorian detail is also noteworthy, and it's clear that the author knows his Holmes mythology. You may think you've seen all that can be done with teh sub-genre of "Holmes meets Dracula" tales, but The Case of the Solitary Grave is exciting and refreshingly unpredictable. As a bonus, we get a very touching look at the deep bond ...more
Amy Sturgis
Feb 26, 2012 Amy Sturgis rated it really liked it
This is an unexpectedly rich and satisfying Sherlock Holmes-meets-Count Dracula tale. Dracula enlists Sherlock Holmes's assistance - on the promise he will leave the country if Holmes will help, but he can't be held responsible for the many innocent lives in London if Holmes refuses - to find his kidnapped bride, Mina Harker. Holmes and Dracula join forces against the now-immortal Moriarty (whose unique brand of genius is changing the face of vampirism), but the character who truly shines here ...more
Pearl Barley
Apr 26, 2014 Pearl Barley rated it it was amazing
As a dyed-in-the-wool Sherlock Holmes fan, I was very pleased with this story. It had a definite Conan Doyle feel about it, and tapped easily into the legendary Sherlock Holmes methods of deduction in this original story about Holmes' encounter with Dracula. It had a touch of the supernatural with dark undertones, but was so very well thought-out. These 'unusual' elements took the story to another level with the excellent flow of the story as a whole.

For a make-believe tale, it made you believe
Ken
Aug 05, 2016 Ken rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
This is a 5 STAR story with an execution barely worth half of that. Among Holmes/Dracula stories, Klaver produces some of the more unique ideas but presents them so summarily as to do them no justice. What is presented here as a novella would probably have been better as a full-length novel if not a series of novels. Maybe Klaver will revisit his ideas with something more grand in mind.

3 STARS
Carl
Jan 05, 2012 Carl rated it liked it
Hummmm . . . Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula; it sounds a lot like a 50's drive-in movie. However, it is a long short story that (at least the first half) could have been written by Doyle himself. The second half, however, is jumpier and harder to follow, though still good. I had a little trouble thinking of Holmes and Dracula in a supernatural story. Still, it's immersive, fast-paced, and has a satisfying and clever ending. I was pleasantly surprised.
Don
Aug 22, 2012 Don rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed! Writing captured the feel of the original stories perfectly. Looking forward to reading the next installment.
Dale
Feb 03, 2016 Dale rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula: The Adventure of the Solitary Grave by Christian Klaver [Kindle Edition]

Sherlock Holmes is dead. His body lies in a solitary grave on the Sussex Downs. But Dr. Watson survives, and is now given permission to release tales of Sherlock Holmes that deal with the supernatural…

Holmes has been making inquiries into several unsolved cases. The Matilda Briggs and the Demeter, are two ships whose crew has totally vanished without a trace. There are discrepancies in the
Michael
Aug 25, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula: The Adventure of the Solitary Grave. Holmes and the Count are two of my favorite characters and I have been disappointed by their treatment in the hands of other authors in the past. This was not the case this time. Christian Klaver absolutely nails Watson's voice. Were it not for the supernatural elements in this story, I would bet that many readers would believe that this was a recently discovered story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself. ...more
Rory Costello
Jun 26, 2014 Rory Costello rated it really liked it
Capital! Christian Klaver presents an imaginative reworking of iconic figures. It's fresh, fun, very atmospheric, and well written. Klaver is clearly immersed in Holmesian lore, and he takes a certain liberty with the Dracula story to good effect.

I wasn't aware until I'd finished this story that other authors (such as Loren D. Estleman, known for his Amos Walker series) had put Holmes and Dracula in the same frame. Nonetheless, though I haven't read these other works, I believe Klaver's story re
J.A.C.H.
May 11, 2014 J.A.C.H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like both of these characters, so I downloaded the ebook. The author got Sherlock Holmes down pretty well, but I didn't like his Dracula. He was a bit modern (think Twilight), honest, sipping animal blood. He was married to Mina, his love. I couldn't see Mina as his wife, even if he had her in a trance, she's just too smart and headstrong. I think Adler would have made a more interesting wife for Dracula.
But overall, I can't complain, I fled through reading the book, it's fun.
Sarah Lewis
May 24, 2016 Sarah Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holmes and Watson have eliminated all of the possibilities. What remains is the improbable truth - vampires! Klaver casts two of the most enduring characters of the Victorian era into a tale where each is a little out of his element. In The Adventures of the Solitary Grave, both Holmes and Dracula must put aside what they know in order to get what they want.
Jen Haeger
Jul 25, 2014 Jen Haeger rated it it was amazing
Delightful tale that seamlessly melded the two genres while keeping the themes of each (namely horror and Holmes). Read it through in one late-night sitting, and I am only not binging on to the next story so as to savor each individually. If you adore Holmes, read this. If you crave more creatures of the night, read this. If you just like a well-crafted short story, read this.
Lisa A.
Interesting story about Count Dracula asking for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson's help finding his wife, Mina. It had the feel of an original story but when Watson is kidnapped and changed in a horrible way I thought it went too far. Overall it was a good read.
Les Wilson
Jan 02, 2015 Les Wilson rated it liked it
A good read but I cannot come to terms with Dr Watson becoming a vampire. What's the follow on Count Watson? Will he be found living in the Tower of London or Windsor castle???
Lisa Hoang
Lisa Hoang rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Chris
Feb 08, 2015 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay-book
I always liked Sherlock Holmes but this book all I can say is that it was different.
Christian Klaver
Sep 18, 2012 Christian Klaver rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Eric R.
Eric R. rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Friday
Friday rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2014
Rita L. Woods
Rita L. Woods rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Terry Henderson
Terry Henderson rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
John Kohl
John Kohl rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Alan Tucker
Alan Tucker rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
tm
tm rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Timothy Haas
Timothy Haas rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

The Supernatural Case Files of Sherlock Holmes (3 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of the Innsmouth Whaler (The Supernatural Casefiles of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Lustrous Pearl