Start by marking “Feels Like Family (Sweet Magnolias)” as Want to Read:
Feels Like Family (Sweet Magnolias)

Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,509 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Helen Decatur spent a lifetime setting goals—getting through college and law school, opening her own practice, becoming financially secure and establishing herself as one of the most highly respected matrimonial attorneys in the state of South Carolina. Achieving those goals was a breeze compared to the one she's faced with now.

The most driven—and cynical—of the Sweet Magn

Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published December 22nd 2009 by MIRA (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Feels Like Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feels Like Family

Lynda
Dec 27, 2009 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helen, a high powered divorce attorney clashes with Eric, former EMT turned pastry chef while resolving problems of the restaurant employees. Helen suddenly realizes she wants a child of her own and Eric can not get over the death of his first wife. I enjoyed this installment in the Sweet Magnolias series. Predictable but with unexpected twists.
Jeanie Jackson
Jun 13, 2012 Jeanie Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Note: I seldom give 5 stars on Goodreads because I am comparing these books to the best I ever read. At other sites, rate just to how much I recommend a book. This is a 5 star recommendation.
Judy
Sep 10, 2008 Judy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too boring and predictable. Didn't even read the whole thing, started skimming it.
Kathryn
Enjoyed this story of Helen and other characters. A series that I really like.
Audel
Aug 26, 2016 Audel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pour ce troisième et dernier tome, l'auteur reprend, de manière plus approfondie, des sujets abordés dans le précédent à savoir : le divorce, le veuvage mais aussi les relations parents/enfants.

Une fois encore la romance n'est pas au premier plan mais va donner au lecteur un peu de légèreté au milieu de tous ces sujets graves.

En effet, Lynn, l'héroïne se débat avec les méandres du divorce alors que Mitch, lui, tente de se remettre de la mort de son épouse et mère de ses enfants.

Parallèlement, on
Minerva Hall
Jan 17, 2016 Minerva Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creo que Sherryl Woods se supera con cada libro de la serie. Me ha encantado, quizá el final fue un poco desconcertante, porque corta de golpe y te quedas con cara de circunstancias, queriendo más. Y una declaración superbonita, que no sucede en ningún momento, pero la verdad es que los personajes están llenos de calidez y calidad humana, son muy reales, con sus miedos, inseguridades y sueños.
Helen me encanta, ni en un millón de años podría sentirme indentificada con ella, porque es una mujer m
3rd in the Sweet Magnolias series

POV: 3rd person: Helen, Erik, Karen
Sensuality: Warm

Helen Decatur is nearing 43 and starting to think she missed out on the important things in life. She sees her friends married and happy with children. Maddie is pregnant again and Helen is feeling her biological clock ticking.
Erik Whitney is Helen's friend Dana Sue's right-hand man. He's an awesome chef, but quiet and down-to-earth. He wears jeans and t-shirts and finds Helen's designer clothes and sho
Heidi
Aug 13, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story by Sherryl Woods. Three friends who call themselves the Sweet Magnolias go about their business but are all entwined in each others lives. They are there for each other no matter what. When Helen realizes she is all alone and approaching her mid 40's without experiencing marriage or babies she starts to realize that maybe she needs to make a change. Then there is Erik who is not looking for either marriage or kids, having lost his wife and unborn baby 7 years earlier. The sp ...more
Becky
Jun 03, 2013 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Sweet Magnolia series. Helen Decatur has worked hard to get where she is in her life. The only thing missing is a baby. Her two best friends have families of their own and she has always played surrogate Aunt. She doesn't need a husband to be a mother, besides her life is too busy to begin with. Dana Sue is trying to set Helen up with her sous chef Erik. And when the two finally connect they try to keep it hidden from Maddie and Dana Sue. Helen has always told the oth ...more
Paula Ratcliffe
Aug 16, 2012 Paula Ratcliffe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Sweet Magnolia Helen wants a baby in the worst way possible, she's made lists and more lists on top of that now if only she could find a way to go about it. Erik the pastry chef at Sullivan's has had his share of heartbreak and will do anything not to go back, he keeps Helen as casual as can be.

Karen an assistant chef to Dana Sue is having all sorts of issues between being a single mom, and trying to juggle work. She ends up seeking out advice from Helen about how to keep her job. Helen, Dana S
Lara
Mar 20, 2015 Lara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Weakes of the series so far. For a book published in the 21st century, it has some ridiculously outdated ideas. Unless things are different in other countries (I'm in Canada), parents don't need to be married in order for a baby to have the father's surname; it's whatever is put on the birth certificate.

Also, at a critical time the male protagonist abandons the female protag. If that happened to MY friend I wouldn't just berate him as Maddie and Dana Sue do. I'd tell him straight to his face tha
Mirella Grace
Ya, 3.5 bintang deh. Lebih bagus ketimbang 2 seri sebelumnya. Rada seneng nih, baca serialnya Sherryl Woods. Pemeran utama berumur lebih dari 40 tahunan. Entahlah apa yang terjadi dengan diriku... Semakin berumur, suka rada bete baca buku dewasa (novel roman, suspens, dll) yang menceritakan karakter novel berumur di bawah umurku sendiri. Makanya seneng baca serial ini...

Well, back to isi si novel... Seneng deh, sama karakternya Helen yang mandiri abis. Keren!! Si Erik juga oke.. Yah, ketimbang R
Katy M
Aug 25, 2014 Katy M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The magic of friendship and trust.

The magic of friendship and trust.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
Ms. Woods writes absorbing, lively, non-trite romance with fully fleshed characters and plots. The Sweet Magnolias series is fabulous in that the central characters are around 40 (at least the first 3), unusual for romance novels. Amazing, a romance author who realizes you don't lose that spark when you reach your 30's. Thank you!
Read, enjoy, prepare to be entertained. I can't wait to delve int
Darcy
I wanted to like this one more than I did. For some reason the idea of Helen and Eric didn’t work for me, they just seem too different. I also hated what Helen did to Eric and his reaction when she was found out. You just knew that things were going to be all kinds of crazy when the info came out. I did like how Maddie yelled at her when she realized what Helen did.

I found myself more interested in Helen as a lawyer with her case and the unbalance husband. I liked how Cal, Ronnie, and Eric did w
Ayu Wirdha

Awalnya suka dgn Helen, pengacara perceraian yg sukses walaupun jd sinis dgn pernikahan, smart, tough tetapi setelah dia menjalankan rencana punya anak dgn memanfaatkan Erik jadi turun bbrp poin. Mungkin saking desperado-nya dgn umur yg makin nambah (43thn) kemungkinan punya anak makin kecil, sedangkan Helen tdk ingin memakai bank sperma. Sepertinya Magnolias seri punya ciri khas heroine-nya diselingkuhi, single mother & ketemu hero yg blm pernah nikah kecuali mungkin Helen & Annie. Side
Gail
This is Helen's story, in the Sweet Magnolias' series. Helen is a lawyer who's starting to feel she's missing out now her two best friends have remarried. Hero is Erik, a chef in her friend Dana Sue's restaurant. Helen does a lot of divorce work and currently has a client's crazy husband to deal with. There's also a secondary romance involving a sous chef (Karen) in the restaurant and a personal trainer (Elliott) at the spa Helen co-owns with her besties. Erik has some past issues that kept crop ...more
H2
Warning: contains spoilers! Not a bad book in the series...but I do have a gripe with the heroine, Helen. She just isn't a nice person: she sets out to deceive a nice man, get pregnant, plans to dump him, enjoys taking men to the cleaners in her divorce practice. The other story line concerns Karen and Elliot ( the sous chef and the trainer at the gym), but I felt their romance was not developed enough: who takes on a woman with 2 kids having a mental breakdown, against his families wishes, out ...more
Paula
Jun 08, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-womens
Helen / Erik and Karen. Helen is the 3rd friend in the sweet magnolia trio. She is a very hard working lawyer whose clock is ticking loudly. She is weighing the pros and cons of having a baby when she takes on the task of "fostering" a friends 2 children. With the assistance of Erik, she gets the hang of things and solidifies her plan to have her own baby. She just has to figure out how to do that.

This story was great. I'm not sure if it was too believable that a lawyer would do something so stu
S
Aug 05, 2012 S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet read and makes us all look within ourselves. Helen Decatur is like most strong willed women. She is self-reliant and strong, while deep inside she can be insecure and searching for what everyone wants – love. She wants the love of a family and the book addresses these thoughts that most of us have. The book takes us through several twists and turns and Helen finds out what is really important in life and how she dares to reach out and grab it. The Sweet Magnolia series is an ent ...more
Harlequin Books
"Woods winds up her Sweet Magnolias trilogy with a terrific effort. Helen and Erik are very well matched, and their banter is often hilarious. But there's also a serious underpinning to the story that's quite appealing -- and readers will enjoy Erik, a hunk who cooks. Yummy!" (RT Book Reviews, 4 stars).

Miniseries: A Sweet Magnolias Novel
Kelly Trowbridge
I was so glad there was finally a little bit of action this book! I thought they dragged out the whole Brad Holliday thing but it gave the book a little bit of edge. The whole Helen Erik thing was just blah. It seemed like they didn't have any other characters in the book to hook Helen up with so they chose Erik. Also, the whole Karen Elliot could have been a whole book but instead was just a jumbled up, rushed romance.
Jan 06, 2010 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2010
Allison Watson
Book was about a woman attorney in her forties and her budding relationship w/ a guy who works for her friend in her friend’s restaurant. Kind of reminded me of a small town drama book. It was pretty good to listen to but I don’t think there was anything that really pulled me into the book although the author did a good job developing a lot of side stories that were pretty easy to follow. Very formula… wraps all together in the end.
Angelic Zaizai

Cerita tentang Helen - si pengacara predator yang mandiri, akhirnya merasa ingin punya anak (dan suami)
terutama anak sih, apalagi setelah menawarkan diri mengasuh dua anak Karen, pegawai Dana Sue di Restoran Sullivan
dan setelah memutuskan ogah adopsi, Helen mencari siapa yang jadi 'donor'hehehe - Eriklah, sasarannya
tapi ya seperti biasanya jadinya malah jatuh cinta beneran hehehe
ga ada cerita Annie - Ty, padahal pengen baca ituuuu :((
Angie crosby

I loved the first half of the book , two stubborn people finding common ground. The second part I didn't like at all. How could Helen be so selfish? I understand that need to have a child, to be a mom,that deep need that you will do anything to make happen. But wow. She tramples over not just his heart and feelings, but her best friends as well.
Ann Boytim
Sep 12, 2015 Ann Boytim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sweet Magnolia Novel continuing the story of three very good friends Helen, the aggressive attorney, Dana Sue the restaurant owner and Maddie part owner of their Spa and gym. The time the story focuses on Helen who feels her biological clock is ticking and she really wants to have a baby. Of course she has to find the right man for the job and he happens to be a chef in Dana Sue's restaurant.
Jess
Apr 15, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, sherryl-woods
Adorable!! Perfect ending to this series. Helen made some mistakes along the way but she just wanted to be happy so I forgave her. Erik was pretty cute throughout this book. I really wanted him to have a happy ending especially after his background was explained. I think this book was much better than the last and about equal to the first.
Lisa
May 27, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
I read this book as a sequel to the previous book. In the previous book, Helen came across much tougher and I enjoyed that about her. I thought Woods made her go all soft and mushy and what's interesting about that? I actually enjoyed the underlying story lines better. Not enough conflict and the happy ending came too easily.
Donna Jo Atwood
Third book in trilogy. Romance with lawyer Helen and sous chef Eric in South Carolina. Helen's two female friends figure in first two books of series. Feels Like Family was okay, but not enough to go reading the first two.
15.9 Out with the Old & In with the New books
Molly
Jul 05, 2012 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favorite of the Sweet Magnolia books so far, mostly because I was so angry with many of Helen's decisions. However, I still love these characters and the town they live in, and I will continue to read the series!
  • The Summer Hideaway (Lakeshore Chronicles, #7)
  • Orchard Valley Brides: Norah\Lone Star Lovin'
  • Almost Home (Chesapeake Diaries #3)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
  • Sweet Spot (Bakery Sisters, #2)
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa
More about Sherryl Woods...

The Sweet Magnolias (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • A Slice of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2)
  • Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4)
  • Home in Carolina (The Sweet Magnolias #5)
  • Sweet Tea at Sunrise (The Sweet Magnolias #6)
  • Honeysuckle Summer (The Sweet Magnolias #7)
  • Midnight Promises (The Sweet Magnolias, #8)
  • Catching Fireflies (The Sweet Magnolias, #9)
  • Where Azaleas Bloom (The Sweet Magnolias, #10)
  • Swan Point (The Sweet Magnolias #11)