The Boy With The Torn Hat

The Boy With The Torn Hat

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Debut novel is a finalist in the 2010 USA Book Awards for Literary Fiction Henry Miller meets Bob Dylan in this coming of age romp played out in the twisted alleyways and smoky beer halls of Heidelberg. Sully is a cunning wordsmith and master of bringing music to art and art to language. Excessive, expressive, lusty, and once in a blue metaphor profound. Here is what I mea...more
Paperback, Pre-publication, 301 pages
Published January 28th 2010 by A Word with You Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy With The Torn Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy With The Torn Hat

Kate Wickham
Sep 17, 2014 Kate Wickham rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Aliyah Marr
This is a first book by this author and will quickly hit the must read list. Open the book randomly and on every page you will find exceptional and lyrical prose. I was enthralled from the first dialogue.

Just now it opened on page 40, and I found,

"...I continue my walk down the empty edge of the alleyway. I hear the scurry of gargoyles on the roof tops. I see the soft glow of the lampposts spilling a little easy gold and silver onto cobblestones. And then I blink,and for one astonishing moment,...more
Derek
It's a poignant tale of love and regret, with huge helpings of comedy and tragedy. The characters are well formed and the narrative crackles on the page. The author clearly loves language and uses wordplay and inventive description to good effect. So much for the objective view. I thought it was a great read - one that will keep you hooked to the final page, with characters that live in your head for a long time afterwards.
Mac
In the interests of full disclosure, I got to know Thornton Sully long before I read his book. But that means he also knows me and he will tell you I don't pull punches.

I should also point out I am a procrastinator and have been meaning to write a review for well over a year.

Having said that, The Boy With the Torn Hat is a great read. The book is written as a first person coming-of-age autobiography. The author did spend, or claims to have spent, a portion of his youth in Europe. Why do I say he...more
Amanda
Before reading the first page, I was intending to read this book quickly, as is my way. However, within the first few pages, I knew I had to slow down and savor this literature for this book was poetry in novel form.

There were so many sentences that sang out to me that I reread passages more than once (often more than twice) on several occasions. I was truly sad when it ended.

This man, in one short book, has become one of my favorite authors.

F.J. Dagg
Colorful coming of age story in a lovingly sketched Heidelburg. Great nostalgia vehicle if you're of the "Woodstock Generation," fine character study for readers of any age. Sully has a fine eye for imagery and an outstanding ear for dialogue. Lyrical passages abound. Recommended.
Amy Ravin
Amy Ravin marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Caitlin M.
Caitlin M. marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2011
C.j.
C.j. marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2011
Julie Weinstein
Julie Weinstein is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2010
One of my rare reviews 1 2 May 05, 2010 07:23PM
Almost Avalon The Coffee Shop Chronicles Vol. 1, Oh the Places I have Bean! Kid Expression 2012 Anthology