Start by marking “Little Town on the Prairie” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Little Town on the Pra...

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little Town on the Prairie (Little House #7)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  52,492 ratings  ·  593 reviews
Spring on the prairie brings socials, dances, and "Literaries". There is also work to be done. Laura spends many hours each day sewing shirts to help send Mary to a college for the blind. But, in the evenings, Laura makes time for a new caller, Almanzo Wilder.
Other Format, 320 pages
Published June 29th 2009 by Paw Prints (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Little Town on the Prairie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Town on the Prairie

Jenn Leong
It's amazing how borderline racist these books are and I never noticed as a child. Some examples:

1. Pa is in a minstrel show, wearing blackface, while townspeople sing "watch those darkies dance!"

2. Ma remarks that her daughters don't work in fields, since "only foreigners would let their daughters do that. As Americans, we are above that."

3. Ma frequently remarks that the "savages" are terrifying and brutal and she wishes they would all die.

And so on.

This is not to say I didn't thoroughly enj
Michelle
I flew through this one, maybe because I was so happy not to be stuck in a blizzard anymore, freezing and starving. Things are really looking up for the Ingalls family--they get a kitten, Mary finally goes off to college, there are parties in town, and by the end of the book, Laura gets her teaching certificate. The most extravagant thing is when Pa allows Laura to buy name cards (they're the latest thing and cost 25 cents!). I actually squealed, "Oh, Pa! Letting Laura buy name cards!", elicitin ...more
Philip
Eleanor and Gwennie are both here, but before we begin, I want to tell MY favorite part... and I have to write it quietly because it's not quite appropriate.

Laura had just started working in town, when she saw these two men get kicked out of a bar. They were sloshed, and singing an old church hymn. They went through the town punching holes in the screens of local businesses, and Laura thought this was funny.

Laura got in trouble when she got home for thinking this was funny, but the last line of
Nova
I loved the sense of re-birth. After reading The Long Winter, it felt great to be warm and light-hearted again.
Jan 01, 2013 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Laina
I squeezed one more book into 2012! The characters are the same as in all the books, of course--Pa is the greatest and a hero among men, Ma is uptight and kind of racist, Laura is rebellious but good at heart. Everything is described in such loving detail. I do feel like I should have reread The Long Winter before this one because the relative plenty in LTotP is in such contrast to those poor people starving around the stove.

Notes of note:

- I liked the conversation when Mary admitted that she w
Maria M. Elmvang
This is one of my favourite LIW books. I'm fascinated by the descriptions of life in town. Two things that struck me in particular were a) how modestly they lived and b) how quickly they had to grow up. Just think of Laura, going off to teach at age 15. I was no where near mature enough for that at that age. And they all seemed so selfless too - always passing on things to each other, because they didn't need them themselves, and thought the other person would like them more.
Jaymie Starr
I am currently reading this again with our little girls and am so impressed by the foundations of our nation. It takes me back to a time that is rarely seen in our day and age. When people really and truly understood what it meant to be free and the sacrifices made so we have freedom today. When Laura & her Pa and sister Carrie go to a 4th of July celebration for their new little town- they actually recite the Declaration of Independance by heart and everyone knows it by heart including Laur ...more
Tracy
With this book, the focus of the series shifts from the Ingalls as a family to Laura as a young woman. She is 13 when the book begins and 15 when it ends. This book picks up right where The Long Winter ended, and even though the Ingalls have moved back to their claim for the summer, Laura is walking back into town every morning to sew shirts at a drygoods store to earn money to help send Mary to college.

A lot happens in this story. After several books of hoping for it, Mary finally does leave f
Sara
I think this is my favorite book in this series yet. After the long, cold winter, Laura and her family are settling back into life at the homestead. Laura worries about Mary being able to attend college and helps the family save by taking a job sewing, there are "literaries" in the winter evenings that have everything from spelling contents to songs, and Laura is struggling to work toward being a teacher while fighting with her rival Nellie Oleson, who's moved to the same town.

The writing in thi
Melody
Javiera Verdugo Toro
I read these books a million times when I was a kid. Re-reading them now, as an adult, I realize how Wilder's style changes as she ages in the books. I didn't pick up on this as a kid, and it is such a nice surprise now. Favorite quote (Almanzo Wilder is walking her home for the first time, and there's an awkward silence): "To her complete surprise, she heard her own voice...".

I took away one star for super rampant racism (blackies, and savages, and inmigrants... Oh my!). Totally understandable
Juliette Molina
this book was amazingly descriptive and really shows you what it was like to live at that time, i believe it was 19 something. It shows how pests can eat crops and how winters can be like a roller coaster, one winter blizzards and below freezing and the next hardley any snow and sunny even when you are prepared for a nother blizzard cold year. I remember at one particular part it got a little TO descriptive and got boring enough that all i wanted to do was be done with the book, but yet, some pa ...more
Shakaela
I remember the day I got this book clearly. I was eight years old on a trip to Wellington with my parents and at a bookstore I was allowed to choose one book. My parents thought I should choose the first book in the series when I chose "Little Town on the Prairie", but I insisted this be the one. My reason for choosing the seventh book in the series was simply because of the kitten on the front.

I have loved this book so much and read it over and over since being eight years old. It is beautifull
Elyssa
i love the laura ingills series too !
Sarah T
My second stop on my Little House reread. It's funny the things I pick up on now that I missed when I was little and reading these. Back then I was more focused on Laura. Now it's really interesting to see this bunch of books (Silver Lake onward) as the story of how the town grew up from nothing. In The Long Winter there were about a hundred people wintering there through the blizzards. In this book, there's a church and stores and crowds.

- Almanzo is stated to be 19 in the previous book when L
Bonnie
Book seven of the "Little House on the Prairie" series. It is finally spring after a long and hard winter, Laura gets her first job in order to earn money for her blind sister Mary to go to a school for the blind. When she is let go in the summer, the rest of Laura's family bands together to earn more money for Mary, and are finally able to get the balance needed to send her away.

The coming fall after, Laura and her sisters attend school, where things turn hectic as a former nemesis of Laura tur
Carin
I always read the last 4 Little House books right in a row. Because mostly I love the narrative of Laura and Almanzo falling in love, which is dragged out across all four books. This book is truly momentous. First, Mary goes away to college. Which I was shocked to notice is for 6 years, not 4 (also, she's only 16 when she leaves if I'm doing my math right.) This was the first time it occurred to Laura that a part of growing up is leaving home, which she suddenly swears she's never going to do. A ...more
Luann
Why, why, why did I never read this when I was younger? Well, I missed out! But I'm VERY happy to have read this now. I was enthralled with the classroom drama that happened while Miss Wilder (Almanzo's sister) was teaching school. I sure sympathized with her! Although she brought a lot of her troubles upon herself with her "we will all be happy and friends all the time" style of classroom management.

This is just a wonderful continuation of the story told in The Long Winter. And even though it i
sabisteb
De Smet, South Dakota, Sommer 1881. Kaum ist der lange Winter überstanden, zieht Familie Ingalls wieder in ihr provisorisches Heim auf der Farmparzelle, denn sie müssen 7 Monate des Jahres auf dieser leben, wenn sie sie vom Staat erhalten wollen. Wie immer ist das Geld knapp, dennoch wollen Ma und Pa Mary auf ein College für Blinde schicken. Da heißt es zusammenhalten, wenn man das Geld für 7 Jahre College zusammenbringen will. Laura nimmt einen Job als Hilfsnäherin in der Stadt an für $1,5/Woch ...more
Meghan Moloney
This might actually be my favorite of all the Little House books. Somehow I missed out on this one as a kid, and skipped straight from The Long Winter to These Happy Golden Years. But Little Town really fills in some of the blanks for me - how Laura went from an innocent little girl to a grown woman teaching school and engaged. This book is by far the most revealing about Laura's "rebellious" (relatively speaking) teen years, and is the only book in the series that mentions things like corsets a ...more
Rosie
I think I dislike Nellie Oleson more than Laura. It was disappointing to see her reappear in De Smet, but she is more of a pitiful character in this book than the last one in which she appeared. Miss Wilder provides a great example of how not to run a classroom, and I can't help but compare the episode of Willie Oleson to characteristics one finds in Autism, especially regression. The descriptions of the women's dresses are wonderful, and it is a great example of how even small town rural Americ ...more
Tammy
Another cute and quick read. Laura is fifteen so the tone is more mature, but I still enjoyed it. I liked reading again about Nellie being back and how she is now a country girl! Also, I liked reading about the beginning of Laura and Almanzo's relationship.
Cassandra
So many people dismiss Laura Ingalls Wilder's books as children's books, and never actually read them. I find this sad, because these books are much more than children's books! They are history, from a pioneer woman's girlish perspective. In these books, we learn how the pioneers built houses, made maple syrup, broke oxen teams, made tallow candles, and so much more. My understanding of pioneer practices and daily life were greatly expanded by reading these books; I would recommend them to adult ...more
Becky
I enjoyed rereading Little Town on the Prairie. Is it completely perfect in every way? Probably not. (The idea of Pa joining in a minstrel show performance still doesn't sit well with me. But other than that, I don't have any real issue with the book). In this book:

The family moves back to their homestead for the summer and fall
Laura gets a job assisting a seamstress
Laura and Carrie and Pa go to a fourth of July celebration; lemonade is involved
Blackbirds come and threaten numerous crops; some o
Elizabeth
I love this book. This is probably my favorite book in the Little House series. There is so much activity in this book, so much entertainment. It contains several of my favorite scenes in the whole series: Laura rocking the school bench, Almanzo driving Laura to school, Almanzo seeing Laura home, the spelling bee, the “Literaries”…I could go on and on. And yet it’s not all fun and games—-Mary goes to college and the void in the family is palpable. Laura must study to be a schoolteacher though sh ...more
My little Laura's growing up.

I'm amused that Laura can see that Cap likes Mary Power but portrays herself as fairly clueless to Almanzo liking her. (Also, the Cap and Mary relationship with Nellie butting in and Laura trying to help is such a great summary of those middle/high school relationships.)

Laura gets to work in town to earn money. We send Mary off to school--which is almost as traumatic as the starvation in the previous books. Laura goes to parties and tries to figure out how to behave.
Divya Rao
So this is the book where Pa dresses up in blackface, which is much more troubling in retrospect. I also think--though I'm not sure anymore--that this is the book where, on their first Fourth of July in town, Laura thinks that "God is America's King" which is sweet and in keeping with a lot of what the Founders thought ("endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights") but is also concerning, because popular sovereignty means that...the people's will is king? Laura's story is inherentl ...more
Maryam_H_145506
It's a great novel even if it was for children . I saw that the author is very famous with her books as well . In my opinion , this book shows that Laura talks about her childhood and what happens when she got a new job in the town , how she depends on herself and whats happen on the end of the story while she want to have a teacher certificate . I think i've learned many things while I was reading the novel as I learned how should I depend on myself and how can i help my family .
Mimi
Earlier in the series, I mentioned that my two favorite of these books were "Plum Creek" and "Long Winter." I actually meant "Plum" and this one. I loved then, and now, the town growing alongside Laura and the interesting amusements. Her descriptions, as always, were wonderful. I joke that all I know of diagramming sentences I learned in this novel, but it's true.
I'd forgotten - or not realized - Laura's awkwardness when Almonzo started to court her :)
Kristin
Loved this one! It's more of a cheerful return to the feel of the other books after the long difficult winter (in the previous book). Some parts of it skim over months very quickly, but I loved seeing the Ingalls family living in town setting. Especially as the girls are "socializing" and getting older. :) Nellie Oleson makes a new appearance in this book, and the scenes with her and the schoolteacher make me cringe and feel almost as angry as Laura. :)
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • Beyond the Heather Hills (Little House: The Martha Years, #4)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • More All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #3)
  • Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)

“There is no comfort anywhere for anyone who dreads to go home.” 115 likes