Start by marking “Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)” as Want to Read:
Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)

Conspiracy in Death (In Death #8)

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  23,857 Ratings  ·  715 Reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling series featuring police lieutenant Eve Dallas.
New York City's most vulnerable citizens fall victim to a ruthless serial killer.
Published April 1st 1999 by Berkley Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Conspiracy in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conspiracy in Death

Jan 01, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 8th in the In Death series.

It is early winter right after the New Year 2059 and Eve is called to the murder scene of a sidewalk sleeper. Wondering why "homicide lite" simply doesn't handle the case, Eve quickly learns the reason why. The old homeless man who was murdered had his heart neatly, surgically removed.

At the crime scene Eve bumps heads with a troublemaker cop who has been jealous of Eve since the academy days when Eve, even then, was a star on the fast track.

In the course
Wow. Just wow. This is one of my favorite books in the series to date. It was, quite simply, fabulous.

Whether you've read one book in the series or eight, you know one simple fact. Eve is a cop. It's everything to her. Her role as a police officer is tangled up with her identity as a person. Her self worth, her purpose in life, is all tied into her job. In this book that is taken away and it breaks her. She is not the tough as nails cop that we have seen before. She gains a fragility and vulner
Este Conspiracy In Death surpreendeu-me do início ao fim. Foi um livro cheio de inspiração.

As personagens que já tão bem conhecemos - Eve, Roarke, Peabody, McNab e o Feeney - estiveram excepcionalmente bem.
Para não falar que o Feeney teve uma parte muito importante neste livro, na minha opinião.
E este caso, um dos mais intrigantes que li até agora - envolvia desta vez, muitos elementos importantes. Foi giro ver um caso que prejudicava ou metia muita gente ao barulho, por assim dizer, e não apena
Sep 05, 2016 Jonetta rated it it was amazing
I love the In Death series but this story is special. You see Eve Dallas as never before. It's gut wrenching, emotional and embodies everything that sets this series apart.

This is my #1 favorite of all the books.
May 08, 2013 Elvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
What can I say? For the longest time I listed Conspiracy as my favorite book. Louise Dimatto becomes entrenched in the series, all the angst I can handle with Eve losing her badge, and Mira weeping at the fashion show. Re-reading it for the fifth or sixth time it does seem to drag in parts. Still a great read and a terrific final scene.
Entre Chás e Cafés ❀Renata CR❀
4,8 estrelas

Faltou qualquer coisa para adorar, mas não sei o que e também não importa, pois é uma das minhas séries favoritas!
Dec 08, 2015 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another re-read for me, and another sweet memory. Trueheart is introduced here, the sweetheart he is, and Eve gets suspended from her job. I loved, just loved how Roarke manipulates her to get her out of her gloom and doom. A great read as usual!
Traci Haley
These books are truly popcorn for the mind... there's really no nutritional value in them, but they are super easy to read and I know I'm always guaranteed certain scenarios -- there will always be a good love scene between Eve and Rourke; there will always be some sort of twisty murder mystery that isn't *too* taxing on the brain to solve; there will always be witty comebacks between Eve and Peabody and Somerset and McNab and Feany (and the rest of the gang!). Each one always seems to be better ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted at Under the Covers

What is there to say that hasn’t been said countless times by JD Robb? She’s brilliant and Conspiracy in Death, the eight book in the In Death series is great!

Eve Dallas is simply the best at what she does. And others have started to take notice. When a fellow cop, Bowers the bitch starts hassling Eve on her turf, Eve has no choice but to defend herself. With a few heated words and early threats, things seem to be close to its boiling point rather than simmering down.
Amy A
Sep 26, 2011 Amy A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death-series
Conspiracy in Death was the first In Death book that just didn't grab and hold my attention like the others in the series. I mean there were moments where I was interested in the mystery and what was going on, but then moments would come where it lost me. I would almost have more enjoyed the whole book to focus on Eve regaining her badge instead of that incident stemming from the case Eve was working on. I think there could have been a good story where Eve just butted heads with Bowers, Bowers w ...more
Feb 01, 2013 Kjen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
There were so many great things about this book, I can not even begin to mention them all. I've re-read it many times and each time find new nuances that strike me from familiar scenes. This time around I was struck by Feeney's feelings when Eve was stripped of her badge and some things he said after they had gone "rogue" and were continuing to investigate together. As always my favorite part of the book is when Roarke has to verbally kick at Eve to bring her out of her grief. Then later, after ...more
Sep 05, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book in the In Death series is a five star read for me but this one is something special. So much raw emotion - Eve and I blubbered through a large part of it! Roarke comes through as the world's number one guy being everything Eve needs exactly when she needs it. And then there are all of Eve's friends and colleagues standing up for her when she is down.
This book brings together everything that is enjoyable in this series, a great story, effective police work, strong characters, a deligh
Jul 23, 2015 Sabine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es beginnt mit einem toten Obdachlosen zu dessen Leiche Eve Dallas im Morgengrauen zusammen mit Officer Peabody gerufen wird. Als sie der Polizistin vor Ort eine Rüge wegen nachlässiger Tatortabsicherung vorwirft, wird die Sache unschön. Officer Bowers reicht Beschwerde gegen sie ein, was Eve anfangs noch kalt lässt. Dem Opfer wurde sauber das Herz entfernt, eine Tat die auf einen Spezialisten hinweist und bald hat Eve das Drake Center und deren renommierte Ärzte auf dem Schirm. Eve setzt Feeney ...more
This one kicked me right in the teeth. I am so invested in these characters, and this was the book that almost broke Eve, and the way that is written? Holy. Just holy mother of gut punchers. Every character comes to bat in this one for Eve and that alone had me squeezing the life out of the book. And then you have Roarke and you have his relationship with Eve and the combination of what he's thinking up against what he knows he has to do for her? This has to be one of the most interesting and de ...more
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Jan 12, 2013 Charlotte (Buried in Books) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Apr 14, 2013 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
I'm loving these police procedurals and am racing through this series. What will I read when I'm done? I've even put off reading the latest Elemental Assassin (one of my faves) because I am absorbed in Eve and Roarke.

It was great to see the other side of Eve. Poor Eve. I was a bit angry at Roarke for not being very sympathetic for long but I guess he know what she needed.

The mind of the author is truly terrifying sometimes...and maybe I am for reading this two. The homicide cases seem to get mor
Goldilocks Reviews
Mar 26, 2016 Goldilocks Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-d-robb
This was quite the doozy. I did not envy Eve Dallas in this installment whatsoever, other than being married to the richest dreamboat this side of the galaxy. I only docked one star because all the cops are referred only by their surnames and it was starting to become confusing. I did like the addition of Dr. Louise who I believe is going to be a regular character. She's the perfect mix of sassy and smart all packed into a fairy's body. Conspiracy in Death is a great addition to the series, even ...more
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Well I have to say there was a lot going on in this book. There were times that you just held your breathe because you couldn't believe what was going to happen but then as you read on an the intensity grows and you have to continue because you want to know who and why. As always Roarke, the great husband that he is, always there to protect and comfort Eve through everything and then there is her friends who don't give up and make sure that the truth comes out.
Nov 25, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the other books in this series there is lots going on in the life of Eve Dallas and Roarke certainly was with her all the way.

Again another great book in the series
Jul 28, 2015 Xiki71 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was lets pound on Eve book. This one cop got a major hate on Eve from the first time they meet, and was gunning for her since. And not only that she has street walkers who are being cut open and there insides are going missing. So even though Eve tries to keep her mind on her case its hard when she's getting reported on. Loved how frustrating, and heartbreaking this one is and I was so happy that Roake was there through it all.
Sorry fans of the In Death series. After more than a handful, the stories become somewhat repetitive and predictable. J.D. Robb's Conspiracy in Death is still an entertaining read. But I can't imagine myself reading 40-plus books with these same characters and revolving around its basic formula. 3 stars.
Number eight in J D Robb's In Death series and they keep getting better and better!

In this episode Eve uncovers a killer bumping of street people and collecting body parts. Just as she is hot on the trail of a major conspiracy she is implicated in a crime and taken off the case. Not that that has ever stopped Eve or her trusty sidekick, hunky billionaire husband Roarke.

As usual lots of action, hot sex and some humour in the interactions between Eve and Roarke's butler Somerset as well as the de
At the murder scene of a street-sleeper, an urban outdoorsman, a 'throwaway', a rare scene with uniforms has Eve not so much exchanging pleasantries but the intrepid detective is on the receiving end of idol worship and respect from one officer and inexplicable hostility and resentment from the other. Officer Troy Trueheart catches the eye of Peabody and we're off.

Yet again Lieutenant Eve Dallas is standing for the weak, the unprotected and the dead in this provocative outing. A serial killer c
May 18, 2016 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conspiracy in Death by J.D.Robb is the 8th book in the In Death series. Lieutenant Eve Dallas investigates several deaths caused by skillful removal of organs leading her to high ranking surgeons and politicians. Another fantastic book in the series. It especially demonstrates the support and love that Eve receives from her friends and colleagues and especially Rourke when she becomes suspect in another cops death.
Katherine 黄爱芬
Eve mendapatkan kasus kematian seorang gelandangan yg memiliki jantung rusak, dan anehnya justru jantung tsb hilang. Dan tak lama kemudian, seorang wanita lanjut usia juga meninggal dgn hilangnya organ hati dirinya yg juga sudah soak.

Misterinya kali ini dibungkus agak rumit. Eve sudah menyadari bhw ini pasti perbuatan dokter bedah yg sangat ahli dan rapi. Bersamaan dgn kasus ini, Eve bentrok dgn rekan detektifnya, Officer Bowers, wanita yg licik dan iri setengah mampus dgn Eve. Puncak pertikaia
Jul 12, 2016 Jilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Aww, finally some answers as to why the delicious MY book-boyfriend, Roarke, loves Eve so much.

"Can I watch while you hit him? You know how it excites me to see you pound on someone."

He knew there was nothing, nothing more arousing than the surrender of a strong woman, that melted-bone yielding of a tough body.

"When we get home," he began as they walked down to street level, "you can... reprimand me."

"Keep your mind off sex."

"Why? It's so happy there."

Oh, yeah. He likes strong women.
Conspiracy in Death
4 Stars

When a street sleeper is found with his heart surgically removed, Lieutenant Eve Dallas realizes that this is only the latest in a series of murders targeting the most vulnerable members of society. As she closes in on the twisted mind at work, she suddenly finds both her career and the secure life she has constructed for herself under serious threat …

While the In Death books are standard police procedurals (albeit with a futuristic twist) that employ familiar mystery
Oct 21, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only complaint about these books is that we don't get enough Eve and Roarke time. I know, I know she is bogged down in the investigations. Saying that, when they do get together, things are pretty steamy.

The bodies are piling up. In her research Eve uncovers similar crimes in several cities that were dropped under mysterious circumstances, Dallas knows she's facing a killer cruel enough to prey on the weakest in society and powerful enough to conspire an extensive coverup. To complicate mat
J.D. Robb : Conspiracy In Death Buddy Read - Sept. 2016 125 33 Sep 19, 2016 12:37PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Conspiracy In Death (Dec. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 148 102 Aug 14, 2015 07:47PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #34 - Conspiracy in Death 1 3 May 02, 2014 08:46AM
Readers of Kindle...: Conspiracy in Death #8 3 13 Feb 04, 2012 07:14AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“Eve: "Keep your mind off sex"
Roake: "Why? It's so happy there.”
“Fine, you do that, and you tell them that at the very first opportunity, I'm coming down there and killing all of them. Mass murder. And after they're all dead, I'm going to kick the bodies around, dance on top of them, and sing a happy song. No jury will convict me.” 88 likes