Start by marking “Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  504,208 Ratings  ·  12,204 Reviews
When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published April 1st 1982 by Bantam Classics (first published 1908)

Win a Copy of This Book

Anne of Green Gables
    Release date: Sep 01, 2016
    Follow the adventures of spirited readhead Anne Shirley as she settles into her new home, makes friends, and stirs up trouble.

Farm-owning siblings Mar

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 2797 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 05 - Dec 19, 2016

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Green Gables, please sign up.

Dawn At that time, yes. This book was written in Canada in 1908. In the mid and late 1800's, redheaded Irish immigrants flooded into the eastern U.S. and…moreAt that time, yes. This book was written in Canada in 1908. In the mid and late 1800's, redheaded Irish immigrants flooded into the eastern U.S. and Canada, due to widespread social injustice and starvation in Ireland. They were heavily discriminated against for generations afterwards. Her red hair marks as a likely Irish American and, therefore, she was probably shiftless and a criminal.(less)

Shannon
    Jan 11, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Strong Girls or those are raising them
    Recommended to Shannon by: Mikkee, Tiana
    I don't often give books five stars and as I neared the end of this book, I gave some thought to how many stars this book deserved. I've read the Anne of Green Gables series once before - over twenty years ago. In spite of the amount of time that has elapsed, I clearly recall reading the last book in the series very slowly and thinking to myself, "I will be so sad to not be able to read about Anne anymore." When I picked up this book a few days ago to re-read it, I found within a few chapters ...more
    Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
    Anne, my lovely, I feel restored.

"Marilla!" Anne sat down on Marilla's gingham lap, took Marilla's lined face between her hands, and looked gravely and tenderly into Marilla's eyes. "I'm not a bit changed—not really. I'm only just pruned down and branched out. The real me—back here—is just the same. It won't make a bit of difference where I go or how much I change outwardly; at heart I shall always be your little Anne, who will love you and Matthew and dear Green Gables more and better every d
    Maureen
    Oct 30, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "Dear old world," she murmured, "you are very lovely and I am glad to be alive in you."

This quote really accurately depicts how Anne lives her life and what makes you love her as a character. She's stubborn and makes mistakes, but she also has a huge imagination and sees the world as beautiful and full of possibilities.
    I loved this SO much and I'm sad I never read it before! I love all the characters and the plot, and it's really fun to see Anne grow up through this book. The writing is also rea
    Zoë
    Apr 30, 2015 Zoë rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I had to read this for class and really enjoyed it! Anne was my favorite character, obviously, followed very closely behind by the sweet Matthew. I grew up watching the live action movies and was obsessed with it, so I'm happy I got around to reading it!
    Yaz *The Reading Girl*
    Finally: Full review written December 17th, 2013 and edited the 19th:)

***5 beautiful "Kindred Spirits" stars!!***

description

Sighs...Anne of Green Gables and her crazy doings will forever stay in my heart <3. Can there be such a crazy, beautiful, kindred spirit soul as Anne? No, I do not think so (there are two exceptions: Miranda Cheever and Penelope :D). This precious book is the first out of the many books in the Anne of Green Gables series.

I think many of you know what Anne of Green Gables is about
    Samantha Penrose
    Apr 27, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: young-adult
    Ive decided that instead of reviewing this book, I will copy my favorite passages....passages that capture what I love about the book.....
    Page 180 describes Anne perfectly, "The downfall of some dear hope or plan plunged Anne into "deeps of affliction." The fulfilment thereof exalted her to dizzy realms of delight."
    I love the way Anne thinks...I love the way she jumps from thing to thing in a frenzy of thoughts.....

Page 44 the chapter begins..."Do you know," said Anne confidently, "I've made up
    Raeleen Lemay
    I read half of this when I was a kid, but for some reason I never finished it! I'll definitely pick it up again someday....
    Samantha
    Mar 21, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Yup! Just as good as the last two times! <3
    helen the bookowl
    Mar 10, 2016 helen the bookowl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was my first time reading "Anne of Green Gables" and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a children's book, and so I was expecting a story with a lovely protagonist and some lovely and educating morals, and that's what I got. Anne is simply lovable from the very beginning where she's being fetched by Matthew on the train station to come live in Green Gables. She's highly enthousiastic about everything from the trees to the birds and the brook, and sometimes she was a bit too enthousiastic for ...more
    Jo
    "I don't believe I'd really want to be a sensible person, because they are so unromantic."

A series of letters.

Dear Jo (aged 11),
    Get off The Sims and pick up a copy of Anne of Green Gables and read it now. It will change your life.
    Best wishes,
    Jo (aged 22)

Dear Ms Montgomery,
    I would like to take your beautiful prose and drape it over the washing line in my back garden to create a mystical den that only I and my friends may enter.
    Who would I have to talk to for this to happen?
    Jubilation Lee
    So about eight hours before Husband and I were supposed to leave for our honeymoon, I noticed that the only two books I had on hand were hardcover copies of I Hunt Killers and Anna Dressed in Blood, and that there was no way either of those books would hold me over for two weeks. They might not even get me through the flight.

Panic ensued.

So I flew as fast as my fingers would take me to Project Gutenberg and grabbed myself some books that I hadn’t read in a while. Like Black Beauty. And Sherlock
    Ahmad  Ebaid
    Jul 11, 2016 Ahmad Ebaid rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: أدب
    قرأت نسخة مختصرة، لأن العمر أقصر من أن أحيط بكل الروايات الكلاسيكية السابقة التي فاتتني, وأنا أريد فعلاً أن ألم بهم. لذا فالتقييم سيكون أقل مما قد تجده في النسخ الكاملة من القصص.

آن في التلة الخضراء، للكاتبة الكندية لوسي مود مونتجمري

"بطلة حكاياتنا الفتاة التي تخجل شعرها الأحمر, آن"
    description

فتاة نحيلة بسلوك بري
    فقدت والداها وهي صغيرة, ثم تنقلت بين العديد من البيوت
    لتستقر في سنتها العاشرة وسط زوجان استقبلاها بالخطأ

الزوجان كان يريدان فتى ليساعدهما
    ولكن عندما ارسلت الفتاة
    لم يستطيعا إرجاعها, ولعلها تغنيهم عن ال
    Cait • A Page with a View
    Never have I ever related more to a fictional character than Anne. This is just the most adorable, heartwarming book ever and I honestly don't think I ever read it before this week! I have the movies practically memorized and they follow the books perfectly, so there was nothing terribly new in this story. The only obvious difference was that Gilbert isn't in the book as much.

But seeing Anne ramble on and on for pages more than made up for that. I just have to stick some of my favorite quotes i
    Anne

She danced up to the little looking-glass and peered into it. Her pointed freckled face and solemn gray eyes peered back at her.
    “You’re only Anne of Green Gables,” she said earnestly, “and I see you, just as you are looking now, whenever I try to imagine I’m the Lady Cordelia. But it’s a million times nicer to be Anne of Green Gables than Anne of nowhere in particular, isn’t it?”

I'm so overjoyed to have finally read this. I've set my mind on reading more classics from now on, and I'll defini
    Ingela
    Dec 23, 2015 Ingela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Every young girl I know
    Loved by me, 5 BIG Stars

photo chinup_zps09268183.gif
    Amazing Anne Shirley you should be a role model for many girls. Brave, strong willed and with such great dreams and big imagination.

Gilbert Blythe was perhaps my first Book Boyfriend. Oh sweet, I was in love. Lovely, lovely Anne and Gilbert, what a good and nice young lovestory. Everything in this book series are wonderful. Then there's the great TV series.*) I loved it all ... and still do.

I LIKE - enormously when I was young...

photo tumblr_lmws940vaG1qcn7d7_zps748c94b0.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*) The fun and wonderf
    Maggie
    Mar 22, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle
    DRAMATIS PERSONAE ...................................... Anne Shirley

It's not often that a book lives up to its public-shaming-if-you-haven't-read hype. This book lives up to its 104 YEAR HYPE. I almost divorced my childhood for not reading this then. So many of the words that describe Anne are ones that too many girls are running away from today -- imaginative, impertinent, outspoken, smart, driven. If you have a problem with them, you can take it up with the slate being cracked over your head.
    Lora
    Mar 19, 2013 Lora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: fans of children's classics
    Recommended to Lora by: Jo
    Anne of Green Gables is the story of a young orphaned girl named, you guessed it, Anne. Born in Nova Scotia only to lose both of her parents from the fever at the age of three months, Anne has grown up in many households, never being able to stay in one place for long. As you can imagine, this has left young Anne feeling needy and unwanted.
    And when siblings Marilla and Matthew decide to adopt a boy to help work on their farm, they never expect to get a girl instead. Naturally, their first instin
    Franklin Peach
    May 13, 2008 Franklin Peach rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: own, classic
    To be brutally honest, I was disappointed. I found Anne quite often to be annoying and found my self skimming through many of her rambling soliloquies. Many (especially those of the female gender I suppose) may find her apt to talk ad nauseum to be one of her most enduring qualities, I however did not.

I discovered that it was difficult for me to continue reading once the characters had been established, that is I had no motivation to continue reading as there appeared to be no underlying plot to
    Melki
    Aug 10, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "Well now, she's a real interesting little thing," persisted Matthew.

Truer words were never spoken when the whirlwind known as Anne Shirley comes to live with siblings Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert at Green Gables.

In one terrific example of cosmic trickery, the Cuthberts, who were hoping to adopt a boy to help out around the farm, are sent instead a garrulous and imaginative, red-headed girl. Matthew takes to her immediately. Marilla needs some convincing.

"Matthew Cuthbert, you don't mean to say
    Jonathan Stroud
    My daughter loved this book over the summer, one of the classics I’ve never read and it’s now firmly on my To Read list. JS
    Dannii Elle
    May 02, 2016 Dannii Elle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I fully expected to love this book as it is such a treasured childhood favourite for so many people, but what I did not foresee was how beautiful and poignant the writing would be and how much I would fall in love with Anne. She reminds me so much of myself at her age with her wild imagination, talkative and outgoing nature and a knack for getting herself, inadvertently, in all sorts of scrapes. The plot was simplistic and ordered so that each chapter could read as its own self-contained short ...more
    Becky
    May 26, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: classics, owned, reviewed, 2009
    Let me just say up front: I loved this book.

I tried reading this when I was young, and I couldn't get into it. I was fairly prejudiced against it as well, because apparently I fancied myself to be some great judge of literature at 8 years old, and any time this book was mentioned I'd start right up with the "Oh, I couldn't get into that book... it's boring..." spiel and just write it off completely.

Luckily, a combination of factors converged at the right moment in time to allow for me to put a
    Schuyler
    Apr 22, 2015 Schuyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    On Saturday, I found out Jonathan Crombie (Gilbert Blythe) had passed away of a brain hemorrhage. While I never wanted to marry him, I loved everything he stood for in the Anne books--truth, love, faithfulness--one of those Jimmy Bean type heroes that never do anything stunning, but prove by their uprightness in family and community that providing for their hearth fire is the most worthy calling they could think of. I loved his grin, and his 'soorry' and his teasing.

So today, in memory of his s
    Ronyell
    Anne

Now, I will admit that I was actually introduced to “Anne of Green Gables” through the animated TV series that used to come on PBS and I remembered liking this TV series when I was little. Now, I finally had the chance to actually read L.M. Montgomery’s all-time classic book “Anne of Green Gables” and I was surely not disappointed with the results!

Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert wanted
    Wanda
    ***Wanda’s Summer Carnival of Children’s Literature***

Finally, I met Anne of Green Gables. Honestly, it’s taken me so long that I’m surprised my Canadian citizenship hasn’t been revoked. (I never watched the TV show, either). I don’t know the source of my prejudice against the tale, but it was unwarranted. I quite enjoyed Anne with an E. It is definitely a tale of an earlier time in Canadian history.

Actually, in many ways it reminded me of stories that my parents told of the one-room school hous
    Alex
    Jan 02, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: to-re-read, reviews
    An Enchanting and Spellbinding Story of Childhood

There is something enchanting in the innocence of children and their extraordinary imaginations. We follow Anne, a hot-tempered, fiery, passionate, and highly imaginative girl, on her adventures on a small island in Canada.

It doesn't matter how old you are, this book will touch you. The magic of this book is in the imperfections, trials, and tribulations of our protagonist Anne. The reader follows her on her adventures and mishaps, with much lau
    Sonia Gomes
    Nov 16, 2010 Sonia Gomes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: those who like the simple things in life
    Recommended to Sonia by: Gutenberg e-books
    I loved Anne, really loved her. I have read reviews which say that Anne (spelled with an e !)is silly, vain, hot-tempered. Oh yes, she is all that and much more. Anne is a human being brimming with dreams and most of all ready to enjoy life, not in a jaded fashion, but how it should be enjoyed, she loves every tiny fern, every little flower, even puffed sleeves! Her capacity to enjoy life is amazing. That is what Mathew must have seen when he was taking a skinny, redhead girl 'home' A tempest ...more
    Manybooks
    Simply rating L.M. Montgomery's's Anne of Green Gables is (for me at least) ridiculously easy (five well deserved stars, and a permanent residence on my favourites shelf). That being said, and unfortunately, posting an actual review is proving both daunting and exceedingly difficult, for how do I review a favourite both childhood and adulthood comfort read in a way that is even remotely adequate, that not only shows my deep and lasting appreciation of and for Anne of Green Gables (and L.M. Montg ...more
    April (Aprilius Maximus)
    All of my reviews are spoiler free (unless stated otherwise) so you can go ahead and read my review!

Plot: .5
    Anne of Green Gables follows a young orphan named Anne Shirley who finds herself being taken to what she thought was going to be a home for her, but it turns out that the characters who sent for her actually wanted a boy. She spends her time trying to win them over so they will adopt her and in the process, she makes lifelong friends and finds a family.
    This is such a beautiful story. It d
    Melanie
    Mar 08, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Every living soul
    Reread on 08/03/15: I'll never get sick of Anne. Changing my rating to 5 stars because I love this book so dearly. Anne and Gilbert are my OTP <3 <3 <3
    • Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5)
    • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
    • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
    • Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)
    • A Handful of Time
    • Understood Betsy
    • The Secret World of Og
    • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
    • All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #1)
    • Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)
    Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
    More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (10 books)
    • Before Green Gables
    • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
    • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
    • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
    • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
    • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
    • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
    • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
    • The Blythes Are Quoted (Anne of Green Gables, #9)

“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” 2809 likes
    “Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” 2535 likes