Start by marking “Nowhere to Run: Not Without Risk / A Man to Die For” as Want to Read:
Nowhere to Run: Not Without Risk / A Man to Die For

Nowhere to Run: Not Without Risk / A Man to Die For

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  444 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Two timeless stories from the master of romantic suspense

Not Without Risk

It began as a day's pleasure cruise on the crystal-clear waters of the Gulf of Mexico. But then Emily Marshall stumbled into a deadly maze of drug smuggling and murder—and discovered that the only person who could help her was the man who had once torn her heart to shreds.

A sudden and passionate in
Published February 1st 2010 by HQN Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere to Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere to Run

Buggy
Nowhere To Run is a double reissue of two of Brockmann’s earlier titles. Both were originally published in 1995 but stand up pretty well today. There’s nothing super remarkable about either of these stories but it is Brockmann so you know the writings above average and while they’re fairly simple in the plot department they’re also credible, romantic and ultimately satisfying. She always manages to add these little details to her characters that make them more relatable and damn if she doesn’t c ...more
Jacqueline
This book was okay. It is a reprint of 2 of Brockmann's earlier titles which were published in 1995.

The first was Not Without Risk. The hero Jim Keegan and the heroine Emily Marshall had been lovers 7 years before. When she found out that her current boyfriend Alex was a drug runner she agrees to have a police officer go undercover as her brother to catch him. That police officer turns out to be Jim. This is a type of plot that I don't particulary care for in that I like to read about characters
Alger
If this is the kind of book that you like, then this is a good one.

A double hitter of connected stories, both taking place in the same fictional city modeled on Tampa. Another link is that the love interest in the two stories are magazine quality police officers with troubled pasts that in the first story are partners and in the second are working together to expose corruption in the department. Aside from that there is not much difference in the books, the women are smart, pretty, and single an
Mitzi
I really like this author and her writing style. Although this is an older book and both stories are pretty short, it's still very good.
Cindi
I always find it interesting to read an author's work from before I "discovered" them, which is the case in Nowhere to Run. Not Without Risk and A Man to Die For were both written in 1995, before her successful Troubleshooters series began. I can see how she got there from here, however.

These detectives, these hot guys (she's got a natural talent for creating the most yummy male characters!)are predecessors to her later heros and in fact I could see either of them popping in to Troubleshooters/B
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jun 26, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of romantic suspense
Suzanne Brockmann's amazing talent shines through again. These two stories from 1995 highlight her skill in crafting romantic suspense.

Not Without Risk tells the story of Jim Keegan and Emily Marshall. Emily is a schoolteacher whose beau is mixed up in some nasty business. When she goes to the police, Keegan is sent undercover as her brother to get to the heart of the matter. What's the matter with that? Seven years before, his baggage had him breaking her heart. I really liked the way she ended
Judy
Two short stories, the first one:
Not Without Risk: A love story that started while Emily Marshall was in college and met the Hanson Jim Keegan a detective that is helping to catch a rapist in campus, Emily will be in love of the officer who’ll have an instant attraction for the freshman in college. But because of the terrible ghost from the past, Jim will break her heart, after having a sexual encounter with the freshman whom had win his heart…Seven years later the past will walk in his life ag
Kenton Monjon
Another blockbuster from Brockmann

Fast paced action and hot sex are a lethal combination in all of Suzanne Brockmann's novels. Her plot has plenty of twists and turns and she never disappoints the reader. Her characters are true to life and her stories are believable.
Tina
I have truly become a Suzanne Brockmann fan. There's yet to have been a book that doesn't hook and keep me on the edge. You come to love each and every one of her characters. I can literally feel my heart racing with her stories and this one was no different.
Maria
Two short stories in this book each one focused on the police partners Jim Keegan and Felipe Salazar. Each are forced through their job to protect their ladies and battle the bad guys.

Why I picked this book up: Suzanne Brockmann all the way!

Why I finished this book: This is a reprint of an early Brockmann story. It's not as smooth, the characters aren't as developed but it is still fun to read.

Who I would recommend this book to: Anyone who loves her Troubleshooters series. But know that there
A double feature of early Brockmann (both stories circa 1995) rebound as one release. As with much of her early work, you can see hints of later Troubleshooters novels here. (Jim Keegan of Not Without Risk is called Diego by his partner...hm, where have I heard that before?) The weight distribution of both shorts is a bit off - the male characters come laden with backstory, while the women are thin as cardboard - which leaves the reader wishing Brockmann had been a bit more even-handed fleshing ...more
Siobhan Muir
There were two stories in this book Not Without Risk and A Man to Die For. I liked the first book okay, but the head hopping without breaks made it harder to read. The second story I really liked. There was the usual Suzanne Brockmann intrigue, tension, and excitement that I love, Felipe has that magical combination of toughness, determination, and compassion that makes her stories magical. Definitely a fun summer read.
Mindy
I found these two books to be on par with Brockmann’s Troubleshooters series – which are by far the best books that Brockmann has written (if my sampling of her work is any indicator). Both stories were fast-paced, sweet and included just enough danger to keep me on the edge of my seat.
Rebecca
This was an enjoyable read but not nearly as fantastic as her Troubleshooter or Tall, Dark books. Still...Brockmann really knows how to write a story. I did like that the characters knew each other from before.
Carol
Two books in one, with a few overlapping characters. Both were satisfying romantic intrigue stories on their own with danger and romance and the required happy endings. I enjoyed both books.
Book Him Danno
Good suspense and romance. More sex in the second story. The men are cops and tough as nails, but soft to the touch. Happy endings, both.
willaful
The first started out well but went somewhat downhill, the second started out okay and ended up pretty darn good.
Carol Brunquell
Outstanding pair of novels by Suzanne Brockmann from, I think, 1995 or so. Action, adventure, etc. Page turner!
Alysen
Meh, enjoyable but nothing to write home about! I enjoy the Navy Seals books more!
Mom
I really liked Nowhere to Run, but, didn't like A Man to Die For as much.
Dlanton
Dlanton marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Janice Anderson
Janice Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Ann Frazier
Ann Frazier is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
  • Her Guardian
  • Shattered (High Risk, #3)
  • Code of Honor (Special Operations, #1)
  • Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4)
  • The Last Cowboy  (Jackson Hole, #4)
  • Watch Over Me (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #9; Goddard Project, #4)
  • Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)
  • Witness: Defending His Own\Guarding Jeannie
  • Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6)
  • Hidden Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #3)
  • Shadows at Midnight
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • Last Man Standing (Black Ops, #7)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Obsessed
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married with Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romanc
More about Suzanne Brockmann...
The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4) Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6) Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)