Start by marking “Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous: My Search for Jewish Cooking in France” as Want to Read:
Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous: My Search for Jewish Cooking in France

Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous: My Search for Jewish Cooking in France

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews
What is Jewish cooking in France?

That is the question that has haunted Joan Nathan over the years and driven her to unearth the secrets of this hidden cuisine. Now she gives us the fruits of her quest in this extraordinary book, a treasure trove of delectable kosher recipes and the often moving stories behind them, interlaced with the tumultuous two-thousand-year history o
Published October 26th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous

Front Row Center's Passion in the Kitchen by Cynthia B. AinswortheMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoGluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. Clover
Cook Books
57th out of 217 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

This is one of the only Joan Nathan books that has disappointed me. I hate to be so superficial but I think a large part of the reason is that the presentation was sub-par. The layout was very pedetstrian and the photos were downright unappetizing; and the recipes themselves (and the stories that accompanied them) weren't sufficiently enticing to draw me in.
Jul 10, 2011 Ellen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ellen by: Jewish food lovers, cookbook lovers, Joan Nathan fans
This is another fabulous, well-researched cookbook by Joan Nathan, who is I think my favorite cookbook writer of all time. It's full of really great recipes that aren't too difficult to cook. Nathan has taken us on a tour of the Jewish cooking of France and collected both recipes and photographs of the people currently cooking this food today. She's also included some background on the history of the Jews in France from the medieval times to the present day. I'd buy this book in a heartbeat!
I have never listed a cook book on Good Reads before. But this book contains as much history as it does receipes so it deserves a place. Nathan's subject in Jewish cooking in France, and she has done a wonderful job with primary source research. She provides us with resources, photographs, anecdotal stories about France and Jewish history. And the book is beautifully designed. I may buy it!
For once, a cookbook that doesn't rehash traditional recipes (do you really need another challa or chicken soup recipe), but a book that goes into the details of another culture's kosher cuisine. I've already started cooking from this book, and, ahem, made sure to receive it as a birthday present. Great job, Joan!
Shannon Bailey
This cookbook is very informative for its recipes, but also for its history of France and its Jewish people. I learned a lot about Jewish customs and faith while getting some really good recipes. I would highly recommend it to people who like to cook and learn something at the same time.
I didn't actually get through the whole thing. Some of the recipes sounded quite good. But I loved the history! I was actually surprised, because I wasn't expecting quite so much of it, but I think the history and personal stories really add to the appeal of such a cookbook.
This is much more than a cookbook, though the recipes are fabulous. It is a history of Jews in Europe, France in particular, told through food. I loved it and after borrowing it from the library i went out and bought my own copy to enjoy, frequently, at my leisure.
Catherine Woodman
Nathan is a well known cookbook author of jewish recipes and history--this book is a nice addition to her collection, looking at the cuisine of French Jews--who took a little from home and a little locall to make their own food.
I found some sections in the history interesting, but I was really wanting recipes. There weren't any that really compelled me to cook or bake right away. I may need to give this another chance at a later time. (2.5 stars)
Gayle Werner
Feb 10, 2012 Gayle Werner marked it as to-read
I actually believe that a cookbook can be a good read.
Carciofi alla giudea recipe on pg294
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Fuiplnd marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Charmkardon marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Janis marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Carol Abrams
Carol Abrams is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2015
Text Addict
Text Addict marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Shaheer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Kate Elliott
Kate Elliott marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Krystle Chandler
Krystle Chandler marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014