Start by marking “Follow the Stars Home” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  4,522 ratings  ·  133 reviews
Acclaimed novelist Luanne Rice "touches the deepest, most tender corners of the heart" (Tami Hoag, author of A Thin Dark Line). Her stories remind us how precious and fragile life can be—and that we must risk our hearts every day to know happiness. Follow the Stars Home is just such a novel: a story of poignancy and heartbreak, grace and courage.

Being a good mother is neve
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Stars Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Stars Home

Swanbender2001
I returned this to the library unfinished. I found I didn't have the patience to listen to this woman's problems and what was keeping her back from finding love.
Sreevidhya
Nov 09, 2012 Sreevidhya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who love reading...
This book is really amazing....
Julia, her mother and Alan'll make a really good family...
And I love you Luanne for writing this book...
Aimee
My mom read this while on vacation a few months ago and since then has been IMPLORING me to read it. I finally did and wow, do we have different taste in books. This was torture to read - the whole thing was cheesy. The writing was bad, the love scenes were hokey, it was at least 100 pages longer than necessary. The best thing I can say about it is: I'M FINALLY DONE WITH IT!

Can't wait to return it to my mom tomorrow. Ugh. Never again.
Marmar
Angie
Taken from www.barnesandnoble.com:
"Being a good mother is never simple: each day brings new choices and challenges. For Dianne Robbins, being a devoted single mother has resulted in her greatest joy and her darkest hours. Weeks before her daughter was born, she and her husband, Tim McIntosh, received the news every parent fears. Tim had not reckoned on their child being anything less than perfect, and abruptly fled to a solitary existence on the sea, leaving Dianne with a newborn—almost alone.

I
Connie N.
This is not my favorite Luanne Rice book, but it's lovely and made me cry (as usual) because of the characters' strong love for each other. It revolves around an unusual family where one brother married the girl, got her pregnant, but took off when the baby was born defective. Dianne then continues her life caring for a badly deformed daughter, but with the loving support of her mother and her husband's brother. They all develop a strong bond, then expand to include a lost and neglected girl abo ...more
Delma
Weeks before her daughter was born, Dianne and her husband, Tim McIntosh, received the news every parent fears. Tim can't deal with the thought of having a child that is anything less than perfect. He abandons his wife and flees to a life at sea as a lobsterman.

Tim's brother, Alan, the town pediatrician, stands by Dianne and her special needs daughter. Throughout years he is their rock of emotional support. Alan hides his love for Dianne. Dianne closes her heart to love. She devotes all her tim
Susan
I really enjoyed this book because it was a quick and easy read. The story is about a woman named Diane who's husband left her after finding out their child would be handicap. It goes through her life as she deals with being a single mom taking care of her child with the help of her mother. She also gets help from her brother-in-law, Alan who is the girls doctor and is in love with Diane.

He finds a friend for his niece named Amy, who doesn't have a pleasant childhood because she has a drug add
Nenette
Jan 28, 2010 Nenette rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beth Jalea
Recommended to Nenette by: Kit Salalima
An 11-year old girl with Rett syndrome; her mother, abandoned by her father even before she was born; her father’s brother, who stood by and cared for them through all those years; a neglected 12-year old girl, in need of love and yet has so much love to give herself. What I like about Luanne Rice’s stories is their redeeming quality – through all of life’s trials, there’s always hope to overcome; though there are mean people, the good are the ones rewarded with happiness at the end. Life is goo ...more
Loraine
This is a very, very good book. I am so impressed with the author's ability to bring the relationship of a mother and her invalid daughter to light. I had heard of Rett's syndrome, but wasn't aware of the details of it. I loved how much the mother loved her daughter, and even more, how her friend loved her and did not judge her, but loved her not in spite of her disabilities, but just loved and accepted her. There is so much misunderstanding about invalids, mental illness, physical disabilities, ...more
Jan
This is a nice book about nice people.

They also turned it into a decent Hallmark movie.

A woman, with a disabled child, is abandoned by her husband, but is making it alone (with the help of the husband's brother who of course becomes the love interest).

There is a girl, on the wrong side of town, who is more or less abandoned by her mother (family). The two get together and form a wonderful bond centered around the disabled girl. Really sweet book.
Tonica
I have seen this movie, and like all movies it seems the book is much more indepth. Tears of beauty and tears of sadnees melted into my pillow. I couldn't put the book down until I finished.
Machel
One of Luanne Rice's best novels. I still remember the character's vividly and read this book over 12 years ago. m
Kaye
Slightly better than average romance. Women with handicapped child learns to take love again. Book club selection.
Ali
Oh man, so unbelievably corny. And I have a high corny threshold.
Cheryl Lewis
A story about a single Mother, caring for a physically handicapped child, and the inner-demons she battles. Also a love story, author Luanne Rice has the reader longing... A story of struggle and strife, a testament to the power of a Mother's love and how it provides sustenance. Beautifully written, Follow The Stars Home will have you turning the pages in anticipation.
Tina
Jeanne
Dianne Robbins chooses Tim McIntosh as her husband. But when she needs him most, being pregnant with a deformed baby ready for delivery he leaves her. Fortune for her his brother Alan is a doctor and promises to take care of the baby now named Julie. This is a moving story of betrayal, abuse, love, and caring. Kind of sad, yet inspiring.
Tamia
Leanne Rice's characters are always fully drawn and three dimensional and this book was no exception. A beautiful portrait of a mother dealing with the special rewards and trials of having a special needs child and the people who surround her. It was a world I did not want to leave.
Marian
This is a wonderful story of unending love and the hardships and joys of motherhood, learning to trust and loving without getting anything in return. First book I've read by Luanne Rice. I will definitely read more of her stories.
Pamela
I have no doubt this is probably a fantastic book. I used to love Luanne Rice! After years of reading WWII historical fiction though, I need more. Even as an in between 'break' book, it still didn't do it for me.
Carrie
I chose this book because of Good Reads suggestion. I figured it yo be a fluffy read. I found myself caring about the characters, wondering what would happen, predicting . . . I enjoyed it and will look for others by this author.
Hiwanda Gaerte
I loved this book. I laughed and cried and still could not put the book down. This is the first one that I have read by Luanne Rice but it will not be the last. I was a little disappointed in the language in a few places. I always wonder why authors feel that they have to add the bad language to a good book.

Briona
I really didn't like it at first, it started off very confusing to me and I was bored with the characters. As you keep reading tho it starts to make a lot of sense and I started to enjoy the book so much. The story had some great meaning behind it and I fell in love with Alan I was rooting him on the whole time I was so happy for them. Julia was a very fun and inspirational character as we watched her decline throughout the book. Overall this was a good book to read.
Peggy
This wasn't a bad read until the end.....It seemed to end before it was supposed to....There should have been more story.
Diana Bradbury
An easy read about lost love but all ends well. A nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.
Jimmyjane
Luanne Rice is an author who always adds my favorite ingredients such as gorgeous settings, beautiful names, heartfelt friendships and intense love, but sometimes they just don't turn out right in the mix. This is one where she got it just right for me- maybe it was the timing of when I read it, but it struck a chord with me and made me bawl and grin and sigh. You really can't beat a book that does that- and the movie was a pretty- in all senses- good translation of it (Kimberley Williams was pe ...more
Shongi
Heart warming, as always :)
Ljbischoff
I could not put this book down!
Kaitlin J
I really enjoyed this book because it was such an easy read. The story tells about a woman named Diane and her life. It goes through her life as she deals with a husband leaving her and her deformed child. Luckily as time passes her daughter acquires a friend, and Diane gets help from her mother, the little girl, and her ex brother-in-law. As Diane lets herself recieve help from these people in her life she learns that love is an incredible action.
  • Flirting With Pete
  • The Ocean Between Us
  • Leaving Before It's Over
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride (Harlequin Romance, No. 3855)
  • The Favorites
  • Things We Didn't Say
  • The Accidental Family
  • The Smoke Jumper
  • The Weight of Small Things
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...
Beach Girls Firefly Beach The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Cloud Nine Summer's Child

“The biggest mistake any of us can make is thinking that love is a feeling, an emotion. It's not that at all. It's an action.” 59 likes
“Our stories remind us how precious and fragile life can be-- and that we must risk our hearts everyday to know happiness.” 8 likes