Start by marking “Follow the Stars Home” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  5,451 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
Acclaimed novelist Luanne Rice "touches the deepest, most tender corners of the heart" (Tami Hoag, author of A Thin Dark Line). Her stories remind us how precious and fragile life can be—and that we must risk our hearts every day to know happiness. Follow the Stars Home is just such a novel: a story of poignancy and heartbreak, grace and courage.

Being a good mother is neve
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Stars Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Stars Home

Swanbender2001
Aug 24, 2009 Swanbender2001 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I returned this to the library unfinished. I found I didn't have the patience to listen to this woman's problems and what was keeping her back from finding love.
Ieva
Jan 21, 2017 Ieva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Idk, it's very hard to rate this one. This is not a bad book, but it's just... argh, I can't put it in to the words. I know that I was supposed to be touched, but I didn't feel that way. And I didn't feel for the characters. Finished it quickly and I'm sure I will forget it soon.
Aimee
Mar 24, 2012 Aimee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My mom read this while on vacation a few months ago and since then has been IMPLORING me to read it. I finally did and wow, do we have different taste in books. This was torture to read - the whole thing was cheesy. The writing was bad, the love scenes were hokey, it was at least 100 pages longer than necessary. The best thing I can say about it is: I'M FINALLY DONE WITH IT!

Can't wait to return it to my mom tomorrow. Ugh. Never again.
Sreevidhya
Nov 09, 2012 Sreevidhya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who love reading...
This book is really amazing....
Julia, her mother and Alan'll make a really good family...
And I love you Luanne for writing this book...
Connie N.
This is not my favorite Luanne Rice book, but it's lovely and made me cry (as usual) because of the characters' strong love for each other. It revolves around an unusual family where one brother married the girl, got her pregnant, but took off when the baby was born defective. Dianne then continues her life caring for a badly deformed daughter, but with the loving support of her mother and her husband's brother. They all develop a strong bond, then expand to include a lost and neglected girl abo ...more
Mar
Jun 22, 2012 Mar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angie
May 14, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taken from www.barnesandnoble.com:
"Being a good mother is never simple: each day brings new choices and challenges. For Dianne Robbins, being a devoted single mother has resulted in her greatest joy and her darkest hours. Weeks before her daughter was born, she and her husband, Tim McIntosh, received the news every parent fears. Tim had not reckoned on their child being anything less than perfect, and abruptly fled to a solitary existence on the sea, leaving Dianne with a newborn—almost alone.

I
Loraine
Feb 10, 2015 Loraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, feel-good
This is a very, very good book. I am so impressed with the author's ability to bring the relationship of a mother and her invalid daughter to light. I had heard of Rett's syndrome, but wasn't aware of the details of it. I loved how much the mother loved her daughter, and even more, how her friend loved her and did not judge her, but loved her not in spite of her disabilities, but just loved and accepted her. There is so much misunderstanding about invalids, mental illness, physical disabilities, ...more
Delma
Jun 05, 2013 Delma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weeks before her daughter was born, Dianne and her husband, Tim McIntosh, received the news every parent fears. Tim can't deal with the thought of having a child that is anything less than perfect. He abandons his wife and flees to a life at sea as a lobsterman.

Tim's brother, Alan, the town pediatrician, stands by Dianne and her special needs daughter. Throughout years he is their rock of emotional support. Alan hides his love for Dianne. Dianne closes her heart to love. She devotes all her tim
Susan
Oct 01, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book because it was a quick and easy read. The story is about a woman named Diane who's husband left her after finding out their child would be handicap. It goes through her life as she deals with being a single mom taking care of her child with the help of her mother. She also gets help from her brother-in-law, Alan who is the girls doctor and is in love with Diane.

He finds a friend for his niece named Amy, who doesn't have a pleasant childhood because she has a drug add
Nenette
Jan 12, 2010 Nenette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beth Jalea
Recommended to Nenette by: Kit Salalima
An 11-year old girl with Rett syndrome; her mother, abandoned by her father even before she was born; her father’s brother, who stood by and cared for them through all those years; a neglected 12-year old girl, in need of love and yet has so much love to give herself. What I like about Luanne Rice’s stories is their redeeming quality – through all of life’s trials, there’s always hope to overcome; though there are mean people, the good are the ones rewarded with happiness at the end. Life is goo ...more
Jan
Nov 22, 2008 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice book about nice people.

They also turned it into a decent Hallmark movie.

A woman, with a disabled child, is abandoned by her husband, but is making it alone (with the help of the husband's brother who of course becomes the love interest).

There is a girl, on the wrong side of town, who is more or less abandoned by her mother (family). The two get together and form a wonderful bond centered around the disabled girl. Really sweet book.
Heather-lin Brannon
Oct 24, 2016 Heather-lin Brannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I gave this book a good 35 pages... but I distinctly did not like it from page 2. It was tediously formulaic, clumsily so. No subtlety, no grace, no poetry, no uniqueness... clearly I have been spoiled by superior works :)
Kaye
Oct 23, 2008 Kaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly better than average romance. Women with handicapped child learns to take love again. Book club selection.
Machel
Jun 02, 2010 Machel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of Luanne Rice's best novels. I still remember the character's vividly and read this book over 12 years ago. m
Tonica
Sep 29, 2011 Tonica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have seen this movie, and like all movies it seems the book is much more indepth. Tears of beauty and tears of sadnees melted into my pillow. I couldn't put the book down until I finished.
Ali
Oct 18, 2010 Ali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, so unbelievably corny. And I have a high corny threshold.
Ainsley
Jan 03, 2017 Ainsley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable and overly long.
Susie
Feb 22, 2017 Susie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really amazing....
Julia, her mother and Alan'll make a really good family...
And I love you Luanne for writing this book...
Julie Barrett
May 29, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follow the stars home by Luanne Rice
Have enjoyed all the authors other works and know this one will be great also.
Starts out with just after the accident and Diane is in the hospital and so is her daughter with a broken arm.
Then the story goes back to when Diane had brought her daughter to the doctor. The MacIntosh brothers-One is a lobsterman, the other a pediatrician, Allen.
Julia is disabled and her uncle is Allen. She knows her colors. Tim is Julia's father but he walked out on Diane and her
Tina
Sep 25, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmyjane
Jan 10, 2008 Jimmyjane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cotton-candy, cupcake
Luanne Rice is an author who always adds my favorite ingredients such as gorgeous settings, beautiful names, heartfelt friendships and intense love, but sometimes they just don't turn out right in the mix. This is one where she got it just right for me- maybe it was the timing of when I read it, but it struck a chord with me and made me bawl and grin and sigh. You really can't beat a book that does that- and the movie was a pretty- in all senses- good translation of it (Kimberley Williams was pe ...more
Andrea
Feb 08, 2015 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-it-a-shot
I read this book way before the Hallmark Movie staring Campbell Scott, Kimberly Williams and Eric Close was released, but while I absolutely LOVED the movie, the book didn't interest me at all. It starts with a flashback, which is always confusing and it never really caught my interest. I can't say whether or not the movie tells the same beautiful story as the book, but I hope it does. I only wish the book had been interesting enough for me to find out. If you've read the whole book, I highly re ...more
Briona
Feb 13, 2014 Briona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like it at first, it started off very confusing to me and I was bored with the characters. As you keep reading tho it starts to make a lot of sense and I started to enjoy the book so much. The story had some great meaning behind it and I fell in love with Alan I was rooting him on the whole time I was so happy for them. Julia was a very fun and inspirational character as we watched her decline throughout the book. Overall this was a good book to read.
Penny
Sep 07, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story has left me speechless. I have worked with special needs children for many years of my life, one of them having Rett's Syndrome. So Julia in the book hit a strong chord in my heart, as did her devoted Mother, Diane. This book is true to life in so many ways and yet it brings us to the point of reminding us to be grateful everyday for the joys we can find (because they are there) no matter what turmoil our life might be in.
Jenna
Sep 19, 2008 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This courageous story is about a single mother bringing up her disabled child, despite what everyone thinks of them, and of about a child who finds love with them that she has never experienced before. The story has moments of sadness, and also has an amazing message throughout, about caring for people, and accepting people for who they are. All in all, it's very moving, and had me in tears several times.
Kaitlin J
I really enjoyed this book because it was such an easy read. The story tells about a woman named Diane and her life. It goes through her life as she deals with a husband leaving her and her deformed child. Luckily as time passes her daughter acquires a friend, and Diane gets help from her mother, the little girl, and her ex brother-in-law. As Diane lets herself recieve help from these people in her life she learns that love is an incredible action.
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit syrupy in spots, but generally an enjoyable read -- after being deserted by her husband when they learn the baby she is carrying is defective, a single mother devotes herself to her badly deformed/disabled daughter, with the help of her physician brother-in-law who, of course, is in love with her, and who introduces her to another young girl in need of mothering. Happy ending for all, no surprise.
Ella
Jun 12, 2011 Ella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
I'm about 100 pages into my first Luanne Rice novel. At this point, it's difficult for me to root for any of the characters; Dianne is just angry and bitter at all men, Tim is a first class jerk who abandoned his wife and daughter, and Alan is the long suffering, wimpy, passive brother. The only likable character in the book is Lucinda. She comes across as warm, considerate, and compassionate.
Karen
May 05, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one by Luanne Rice. She has a nice writing style for me. I enjoy the stories and the relationships within. She also will, at times, elaborate what a character is thinking, and I like that. Probably the best thing I like is that every story and book is different. So far I don't feel like I'm reading the same author with the same story, as can sometimes happen with an author.
Follow the stars home - Relationship between in-laws..... 1 2 Jul 10, 2015 08:01PM
  • Flirting With Pete
  • The Ocean Between Us
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • The Favorites
  • Delta Girls
  • A Perfect Day
  • Between Friends
  • The Old Mermaid's Tale: A Novel of the Great Lakes
  • The Things We Do for Love
  • The House on Hope Street
  • Do You Take This Rebel? (The Calamity Janes, #1)
  • Dagmars Daughter
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...

“The biggest mistake any of us can make is thinking that love is a feeling, an emotion. It's not that at all. It's an action.” 63 likes
“Our stories remind us how precious and fragile life can be-- and that we must risk our hearts everyday to know happiness.” 9 likes