Start by marking “Dance Anatomy” as Want to Read:
Dance Anatomy

Dance Anatomy

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Powerful, expressive, and compelling! Now you can see what it takes to be a stronger, more elegant dancer. Featuring over 200 full-color illustrations, "Dance Anatomy" visually depicts the unique relationship between muscle development and aesthetic movement as never before.

"Dance Anatomy" features 82 of the most effective dance, movement, and performance exercises, each d
Published March 12th 2010 by Human Kinetics Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dance Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance Anatomy

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeilddancergirl by Carol M. TanzmanRussian Winter by Daphne KalotayDancing on My Grave by Gelsey KirklandThe Man I Love by Suanne Laqueur
Best Books About Dance
113th out of 132 books — 132 voters
The Actor and the Target by Declan DonnellanTrue and False by David MametBreathing, Movement, Exploration by Barbara Sellers-YoungA Challenge For The Actor by Uta HagenThe Invisible Actor by Yoshi Oida
Books I Need For Mountview
16th out of 22 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Charlotte Wolf
This book is very helpful. I've done lots of the stretches and exercises it has told me to do and I can already feel myself getting stronger and more flexible. This book not only tells you what exercises and stretches to do but it also explains in complete detail how to do the exercise or stretch and it explains how that exercise or stretch will help a dancer improve her technique and what choreography that specific exercise or stretch will help with. I think this benefits me and all other dance ...more
Josh
Apr 05, 2014 Josh rated it liked it
I appreciated the emphasis on posture & breathing. Sections of the body are addressed first in prose (describing anatomy and its application), followed by exercises paired with application to dance. The applications seem largely focused on ballet and modern styles.
mozart
May 09, 2016 mozart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

Im a 13 year old black male dancer. Im a competitive dancer and travel with my dance school to perform in cities and even out of the country. This book did teach me well.
Feb 22, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: dance
An excellent resource for dancers and dance instructors. The layout and organization of the book makes it easy to find exercises and information to help improve your (or your students') areas of weakness. I wish it included as many helpful flexibility exercises as it does strengthening ones, but I still found it helpful.
Kristina
Feb 07, 2015 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
yamiyoghurt
May 30, 2011 yamiyoghurt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dance, mind-body
This is one of the most concise and easy to follow dance anatomy book. I've read a couple of others and what I really liked about this is the way it illustrates which muscles are involved in each dance move and recommend ways to improve the technique. The flow of the book is structured and organized, layout is visually appealing.
Lauren
Jan 21, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dancers, Dance teachers, Dance parents
Shelves: ballet, books-i-own
Really great resource if you're stuck for workout ideas between classes. The illustrations and instructions are thorough, every part of the body is addressed, there's stuff for strengthening and flexibility. All in all really great.
AJ
A beautiful book but way too advanced for me.
J
Sep 19, 2013 J rated it really liked it
Great detail. Good pictures.
Anneline Snijmann
Anneline Snijmann rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Kaitlin Lueke
Kaitlin Lueke marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Catlyn
Catlyn rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Dara Schlesinger
Dara Schlesinger marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Ninabelle Shephard
Ninabelle Shephard rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Acp
Acp added it
Jun 01, 2016
Patricia Tran
Patricia Tran rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Devorah
Devorah marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Karlee
Karlee rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Nouf AlRashoudi
Nouf AlRashoudi marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Cari Kaufman
Cari Kaufman rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Ashley-marie Figuereo
Ashley-marie Figuereo marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
  • Conditioning for Dance: Training for Peak Performance in All Dance Forms
  • Classical Ballet Technique
  • Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet
  • The Art of Making Dances
  • The Intimate Act of Choreography
  • The Ballet Companion: A Dancer's Guide to the Technique, Traditions, and Joys of Ballet
  • Basic Principles of Classical Ballet
  • Isadora: A Sensational Life
  • Treat Your Own Neck
  • Holding On to the Air
  • An Anthology
  • The Mislabeled Child: How Understanding Your Child's Unique Learning Style Can Open the Door to Success