Start by marking “Dance Anatomy” as Want to Read:
Dance Anatomy

Dance Anatomy

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Powerful, expressive, and compelling! Now you can see what it takes to be a stronger, more elegant dancer. Featuring over 200 full-color illustrations, "Dance Anatomy" visually depicts the unique relationship between muscle development and aesthetic movement as never before.

"Dance Anatomy" features 82 of the most effective dance, movement, and performance exercises, each d
Published March 12th 2010 by Human Kinetics Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dance Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance Anatomy

Charlotte Wolf
This book is very helpful. I've done lots of the stretches and exercises it has told me to do and I can already feel myself getting stronger and more flexible. This book not only tells you what exercises and stretches to do but it also explains in complete detail how to do the exercise or stretch and it explains how that exercise or stretch will help a dancer improve her technique and what choreography that specific exercise or stretch will help with. I think this benefits me and all other dance ...more
Josh
I appreciated the emphasis on posture & breathing. Sections of the body are addressed first in prose (describing anatomy and its application), followed by exercises paired with application to dance. The applications seem largely focused on ballet and modern styles.
Sarah Badger
An excellent resource for dancers and dance instructors. The layout and organization of the book makes it easy to find exercises and information to help improve your (or your students') areas of weakness. I wish it included as many helpful flexibility exercises as it does strengthening ones, but I still found it helpful.
yamiyoghurt
This is one of the most concise and easy to follow dance anatomy book. I've read a couple of others and what I really liked about this is the way it illustrates which muscles are involved in each dance move and recommend ways to improve the technique. The flow of the book is structured and organized, layout is visually appealing.
Lauren
Jan 21, 2013 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dancers, Dance teachers, Dance parents
Shelves: ballet, books-i-own
Really great resource if you're stuck for workout ideas between classes. The illustrations and instructions are thorough, every part of the body is addressed, there's stuff for strengthening and flexibility. All in all really great.
AJ
A beautiful book but way too advanced for me.
J
Great detail. Good pictures.
joanne dieckmann
joanne dieckmann is currently reading it
May 20, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Ericka Charlton
Ericka Charlton is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2015
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Alice
Alice is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Holly Mooren
Holly Mooren marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Amanda Burd
Amanda Burd marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Erika Sorocco
Erika Sorocco marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Tina Shelly
Tina Shelly marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Dariann
Dariann marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Kelsey Baboul
Kelsey Baboul marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Danley
Danley marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Anna Shmeleva
Anna Shmeleva is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015