Start by marking “Dream Psychology: Psychoanalysis for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Dream Psychology: Psychoanalysis for Beginners

Dream Psychology: Psychoanalysis for Beginners

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  763 ratings  ·  42 reviews
This classic work by the Father of Psychoanalysis, is essential reading for any serious student of psychology. Dr. Freud covers the hidden meanings within our dreams, especially repressed sexual desires, the purpose of our conscious and unconscious minds, and the importance of dreams to our wellbeing.

Table of Contents:
I - Dreams Have a Meaning
II - The Dream Mechanism
III -
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Psychology

Kwesi 章英狮
We sleep 6 to 12 hours a day, and 2 hours of our sleep we dream of something. Some said they are omens, some they are messages and sometimes people thought you were a son or daughter of something satanic. Everyone have different beliefs depending on the place we grow and develop culture. There are four ways to define a dream depending on our culture;

1. History, people have sought meaning in dreams or divination through dreams.
2. Physiologically as a response to neural processes during sleep
3. P
Kellen Wilson
Interesting read but I can't help but to feel the age of this volume. Personifications of certain psychic functions felt like an over simplification, and aspects of his finite conclusions had possibilities other than his conclusions. Of course I could see the flaws in Freud's logic on certain things through the lens of modern discoveries, hence why the book felt dated, but I also felt that there was some grasping at straws when it came to certain dream analysis. Seeing certain objects in the dre ...more
نزار شهاب الدين
Although I read this book on a long stretch, due to the fact that I was reading it on my mobile during transitive times (waiting times at banks, restaurants, traffic signals, etc.), I enjoyed it, because I was interested in the concept it proposed - in regards of the kind of dreams it dealt with of course, because in Islam, dreams are of several categories, and the category of Ru'yah (vision), for instance, is not valid in Freud's belief. I have my reservations of course towards taking sexual mo ...more
Kevin
Freud has often bee accused of being overly obsessed with sex and after reading Dream Psychology I can definitely see why this is the case. While he does raise and discuss several interesting theories about dreams in general, eventually for Freud, they almost all come down to sex. He actually discussed a dream he himself had as a seven year old boy in which his "beloved mother" dies and states that this dream was a "repression to an obscure obviously sexual desire". Well, I do admire Freud and w ...more
Gloriavirtutisumbra
I crashed through the audiobook version of this in a weekend to prepare for an assignment. Here's my take away: ...Holy jumpin jephoosaphat God DAMN!!! Had no idea. I had always heard this was his best work of all his books. (And this is the edited later updated one, not the original turn of the century version.) He does have quite the fixation at one point in the text on sexual imagery in dreams which i personally believe is simply a product of growing up in a nigh Victorian level of emotional ...more
daniel
The words "dream interpretation" were and still are indeed fraught with unpleasant, unscientific associations. They remind one of all sorts of childish, superstitious notions, which make up the thread and woof of dream books, read by none but the ignorant and the primitive.
Freud's theories are anything but theoretical.
[...:]
He was moved by the fact that there always seemed to be a close connection between his patients' dreams and their mental abnormalities, to collect thousands of dreams and to
Minh Quan Nguyen
The first book about psychology that I read. I always like books that open a new field to my knowledge. This book is funny and strange. At that time, to read about dreams and psychoanalysis was an amazing experience. Ok, maybe all of the thing that Freud talked in this book is wrong now. But at the time I read it, it is reasonable, articulated and funny. Freud's way of writing is very interesting. And the nature of dreams is so fascinating. I always wonder whether my dreams has any meaning and t ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
This title is, in essence, a comprehensive analysis of Freud's psychoanalytical studies, research and empirical observations.
Freud begins by explaining the meaning of dreams through presentations of varied real examples. He then proceeds to explain the causes of dreams and their relation to past and on-going events in our lives, he analyses dream elements, and then explores specified topics such as sexual thoughts in dreams and humans desires and wishes...
Matthew
After using some of Freud's techniques on my own dreams it is hard to deny that there is some truth behind some of his theories, even as strange as some of them might be. However, I can never be a full believer of psychoanalysis simply because there will always be a piece of my heart that wants to believe some of the messages in my dreams come from a source beyond me, but I will say that I enjoyed the read. It was fun and definitely informative.
Katy Edwards
While aged, it is applicable and strong in its practice. Freud has unsurprisingly provided an informational read that doesn't take your brain through the wringer just to make a point.
Prashanthini Mande
What I gather from this book is dreams are kind of like what you would see in a Mirror of Erised; the happiest person on earth will have a dreamless sleep.

We've all heard the theory that dreams are manifestations of your desires, though sometimes when you analyze your own dreams you can never really see any of your conscious desires in them.
According to Freud, "The dream is the (disguised) fulfillment of a (suppressed, repressed) wish."
Even the dreams that scare us are fulfilling some kind of
Simmy
I found that I very much enjoyed reading Sigmund Freud's Dream Psychology, through out the novel Freud used his own experiences and dreams in order to explain his ideas on dream psychology. I found this very amusing as it very much provided me with evidence as to what Sigmund Freud was like, just like what my psychology teacher explained.
Ryan
This was my first actual reading of Freud's primary works, but there were hardly any surprises. This text is concerned mostly with examples from his personal Psychotherapy practice, and left me seeking a more detailed and supported explanation of his underlying theory. Certainly not bad for an introduction to Freud, though.
Solo Lounsbury
This book starts off rather interesting in deconstructing the idea that a dream is meant to fulfill a desire but as I read this the points seemed to hammer on and on in the same fashion until I was bored to tears. Good start, could have been a bit more I interesting.
Maulik
Al
Interesting. Not modern, but interesting. Freud seems like the arrogant type who thinks his writing, words and theories are better than anyone else's even if he says otherwise, but not a bad read.
Tom Brown
An interesting read. I've read into dream psychology before, so I did know quite a bit of this. However, it did bring a great amount of structure toward that knowledge.
Doreen
This was surprisingly interesting. I read it because one of my sisters had an unusual dream she was really curious about. She said this analysis was right on! Lol
Angel Erin
Freud was a freak who was obsessed with sex. The end. LOL!! Still was interesting to read, even though I don't agree with most of the book at all. :o)
Larry
Freud always bravely outlines solid and tested theories that fall apart when he starts obsessing over sexual desires and sexuality.
Evan
This is a great book to read if you want to learn how to better understand your dreams. It's especially a good read right before bed.
Holly
It was interesting, and it must be the basis of dream psychoanalysis, but nowadays a lot of what it mentions is common sense.
LonelyRose
سمعته أوديو

للأسف مالقيت الترجمه العربي للكتاب ده...هو في أجزاء من كتاب
تفسير الأحلام
لكن مش هو للأسف...وبالتالي مقدرتش أفهم بعض الأجزاء :((

عموماً ...لم أقتنع تماماً بفكرة إن "جميع الأحلام" سببها رغبه مكبوته
حتى 'بعض' الأمثله اللي طرحها فرويد لتوضيح نظريته.. حسيت كأنه بيلف و يدور بالحلم القارات السبع علشان يثبت صحته نظريته و خلاص :S

أو يمكن انا فهمته غلط
Drea
Interesting... I am only reading this for sheer pleasure and interest. It definitely has dated material etc, but overall, dreams are a fascinating topic, dated or not. It would be nice to compare this now with a more modern approach to dream science/psychology once I am finished reading it.
Warren Benton
OK I didn't enjoy this book at all. I don't understand what a stairwell has to do with a woman's
hoo-ha. I figured I would try to read it to see if Freud's theories were as far out there as I had heard.
Richel
Briefly, dreams are manifestations of the past, not of the future, except when a wish is fulfilled in the dream; then the dream certainly leads us into the future.
Mike Coe
Not much to say. Freud spend a great deal of time researching dreams. It worked for my research.
Brandon Peele
ok, insightful for the time. looking forward to revisiting a more modern approach to the subject.
Elizabeth
I'm reading the project Gutenberg e-book: Release Date: March 28, 2005 [EBook #15489:].
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • The Addicted Brain: Why We Abuse Drugs, Alcohol, and Nicotine
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Tales of Space and Time
  • The Discovery of Being: Writings in Existential Psychology
  • An easy guide to meditation
  • Introducing Psychology
  • In Your Face: The New Science of Human Attraction
Sigmund Freud (Arabic: سيغموند فرويد)
On this date in 1856, Sigmund Freud was born in Moravia. Freud grew up in Vienna, where he lived until fleeing the Nazis in 1938. He earned a medical degree from the University of Vienna in 1881. He and Joseph Breuer co-wrote Studies in Hysteria (1895). Freud developed his theory on psychoanalysis, then wrote The Interpretation of Dreams (1900), The Psychopatho
More about Sigmund Freud...
The Interpretation of Dreams Civilization and Its Discontents The Ego and the Id Totem and Taboo Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

“If we avail ourselves for a moment longer of the right to elaborate from the dream interpretation such far-reaching psychological speculations, we are in duty bound to demonstrate that we are thereby bringing the dream into a relationship which may also comprise other psychic structures.” 0 likes
“dreams with a painful content are to be analyzed as the fulfillments of wishes. Nor will it seem a matter of chance that in the course of interpretation one always happens upon subjects of which one does not like to speak or think. The disagreeable sensation which such dreams arouse is simply identical with the antipathy which endeavors—usually with success—to restrain us from the treatment or discussion of such subjects, and which must be overcome by all of us, if, in spite of its unpleasantness, we find it necessary to take the matter in hand. But this disagreeable sensation, which occurs also in dreams, does not preclude the existence of a wish; every one has wishes which he would not like to tell to others, which he does not want to admit even to himself.” 0 likes