Start by marking “End of the Beginning” as Want to Read:
End of the Beginning

End of the Beginning (Days of Infamy #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this alternate history of World War II, the Japanese follow up their Pearl Harbor attack with the successful occupation of Hawaii. Now America is marshaling its military forces-from East Coast to West-to reclaim the islands from the enemy.
ebook
Published November 1st 2005 by New American Library (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about End of the Beginning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of the Beginning

Chris
One of the most powerful questions available to any writer is "What if?" What if there were a monster living under a small New England town? What if you could time travel back to the Middle Ages? What if you could build a new universe in the lab? Most of the time, these "What if" questions become fantasy or science fiction, but in the hands of someone like Harry Turtledove, they become history. In this case, the question was, "What if the Japanese had occupied Hawaii after attacking Pearl Harbor...more
Marc
End of the Beginning is a good sequel to Days of Infamy. It also reads a lot better.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that America finally does to do something right. I'm also bias being an America. However, where it really shines is that all the plot lines I didn't like in the previous book, actually pick up here instead of constantly training.

For whatever reason, the Japanese here feel more sympathetic, at least the ones that we follow. They don't all seem the same and even if some ar...more
Ron Decaigny
I enjoy good altenate history and this one is not bad. My problem with this book is length and repetition. Either the editor was asleep or Mr. Turtledove was being paid by the word. How many times do we need to be reminded of Adm. Yamamoto's most famous quote, apparently it's more than six. OK it was prescient and is pretty much the plot string of the two books, but you had to know that going in. Oh did I mention the fact that Japan wasn't a signatory of the Geneva Convention, theres another one...more
David
Really liked this as I do pretty much any Turtledove alternate history. I was sad at one character's death and wish he had at least made reference in the book that others knew of what happened. I know one character escaped the event and could tell others but I wish that aspect had a little more closure. In fact, the end of the book seemed a bit rushed to me but still, enjoyed it a great deal and would recommend it to anyone who likes this type of story. One other note, I started reading my paper...more
Mark
Turtledove has always favored the Herman Wouk school of historical fiction - create a lot of characters in a lot of different situations and then jump from one plot line to another with an occasional overlap. If you like that sort of thing, it's the way the majority of his multi-book series work. I'm the fence about it.

The problem with END OF THE BEGINNING was the length... while the story definitely needed more than one book, I'm not sure it needed two. It really began to feel drawn out toward...more
Barry
This book gets the same comments as the Days of Infamy that came before it. *** PLOT SPOILER ALERT*** I am only disappointed in the remaining questions surrounding the United States much later start in pushing Japan back. Doesn't it stand to reason that we would have had far more atomic bombs by the time we could attack the Island of Japan? What effect would it have had that FDR wasn't President during the last years rather than months of the war?
I would like to see a third book to answer these...more
Will
This is the author's alternate history followup to "Days of Infamy," concerning the Japanese invasion and occupation of Hawaii. Using the multiple points of view perspective that his his hallmark, Turtledove shows the reality of a Japanese occupation (probably based on the occupation of the Phillipines and Singapore). Very well done book. If this genre appeals to you, or if you have never tried it but want to, this two book arc is worth a look.
Paul
Possibly the best alternate history writer today. Turtledove knows the real history well enough to blend his own fiction in and make it very believable. My only regret is that he didn't use enough real historical figures for my taste. With that said, this is still one of the best alternate history series written, and the only others that can compare are probably also writen by Mr. Turtledove.
John
It's time for America to take back Hawaii. For those stuck on the on the island, it may be too late. The Japanese have had plenty of time to prepare and, for them, there is no surrender. Can the US win or will the Japanese force us to give up the fight.

A good straight forward alternative history with good characters and well thought out. And appropriate for Pearl Harbor Day.
Dave
Vintage Turtledove. I like this series since it is only two books, not having to wait for 4/5 books in a series to be published. Another slant on WWII. Very good character development, as Turtledove does in most of his books. Very good logic as the that alternative history. If you like his other Alt History books, this should be added to your list.
Linus
Nice end to the series but it did seem rushed at the end as to how America would continue (although not sure if it will go to another book or not -- based on this ending, it appears no). No reference to using the bomb or other items. It certainly gives some interesting thought as to how the US would have handled it but it many ways not much of a surprise.
Steve Blanchette
An amazing finish to a great short series! Turtledove's characters come to life in amazing form! Continues from where Days of Infamy left off without a hitch. The horrible treatment of not only the POW's but all island inhabitants is truly believable and well put together. Heart wrenching at moments and overall a must read grand finale!
Zach Mott
May 15, 2008 Zach Mott rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who read Days of Infamy
The conclusion you were waiting for after reading the first book. But, first you've got to swallow (pun somewhat intended) the harshities of war that made the Japanese infamous. It delves into those realities with a straightforwardness that makes you feel that these events could have actually happened -- quintissential Turtledove.
Reuben Herfindahl
I've read most of Turtledove's output. WIthout a doubt his best work is usually focused around WWII. This one may be less easy to identify with since the main characters are Japanesse, but I see that as a good thing. You get a very different view from that perspective. It's also his shortest WWII saga clocking in at only 2 books.
Bill Ward
This was part 2 in a series, and so you can pretty much get what I think of it by reading my review of Days of Infamy. I'm just glad this didn't happen in real life, on so many levels...
AmblingBooks
Harry Turtledove, the alternate history master and author of Days of Infamy, brings his Pearl Harbor epic to a dramatic conclusion.

Listen to End of the Beginning on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
James
Dec 14, 2007 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history and modern warfare
The sequel to Days of Infamy and conclusion to this alternate history based on the question of what would have happened had the Japanese military invaded and occupied Hawaii rather than bombing Pearl Harbor and retreating back to the western Pacific. Plausible and satisfying.
David
I really enjoyed this book and wished there was a follow on with more details about the characters who lived and their lives 5 or 10 years after the events in this book.
Brentman99
Dec 06, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: once
Recommended to Brentman99 by: Those who love alternative history.
Turtledove's twist on history keeps getting better! I love the characters and his battle scenes are very well done. I enjoyed this series.
Andy
Would have been a lot shorter of a book if the author didn't repeat things he had already said 3 or 4 times. Other than that, great story!
Lee Thackston
Book 2 just as good as the first.
Albert
Albert is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2014
Gordo7054
Gordo7054 is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Joel Hilbun
Joel Hilbun marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Krysta Halye
Krysta Halye marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
  • 1942
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • The Two Georges
  • 1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory, #2)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • Resurrection Day
  • The War After Armageddon
  • Fateful Lightning (Lost Regiment #4)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce...more
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)