Start by marking “A Great American Cook: Recipes from the Home Kitchen of One of Our Most Influential Chefs” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  4 reviews
"Widely recognized as one of the fathers of New American cuisine, Jonathan Waxman became a mentor to hundreds of chefs on both coasts. Here he shows you how to flex your culinary muscles while having fun in the kitchen.
A Great American Cook presents Waxmanï¿s finest dishes the way he makes them at home. They include the Red Pepper Pancakes with Corn and Caviar that he crea
Published (first published September 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Great American Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Great American Cook

Sara Szmodis
Confession: I have a crush on Jonathan Waxman.

And how could you not after reading through his book? He presents unfussy, great food through approachable recipes. So many times, with a title like A Great American Cook, other cookbooks get mired in recipes full of details and techniques that, while beautiful, are something you know is so far along the continuum of difficulty for a home cook that you know you'll only think about making them.

Not so with Waxman's recipes. They focus on solid ingredie
I looked through this book dozens of times and couldn't settle on what I wanted to make. It all looked good, but I'm not a big roast or meat eater and that is a lot of what is in here. I finally made a root vegetable dish, and added a little sausage. It was amazingly delicious. It made me want to make more--so I'll have to try another recipe when I go back through!
Lisa
Solid and well-put together. The writing is gorgeous thanks to Tom Steele. I borrowed this from the library to browse, but hope to purchase it for myself soon. Waxman's comments on ingredients and kitchens tools are invaluable.
Lauren orso
other than an intolerable forward by bobby flay (UGH), really nice cookbook with simple, new american recipes and lovely tie-in stories about the food and waxman's own life.
Kim Franklin
Kim Franklin is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2015
Cynthia Fry
Cynthia Fry marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Elin
Elin marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Jul 31, 2014
Summer Rae Garcia
Summer Rae Garcia marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Tom Dickson
Tom Dickson marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Alex Gelman
Alex Gelman marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Kyle Brackman
Kyle Brackman marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Tamela
Tamela marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Italian, My Way: More Than 150 Simple and Inspired Recipes That Breathe New Life into Italian Classics A Great American Cook The Elephant in the Room: Stories about Cancer Patients and Their Doctors MacLeod's Introduction to Medicine: A Doctor S Memoir The Elephant in the Room