Start by marking “Finding My Way Home” as Want to Read:
Finding My Way Home

Finding My Way Home

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Henri Nouwen became one of the most inspiring spiritual guides of the 20th century. Culled from a life of intense seeking, these profound meditations on living, waiting, power, peace, and dying offer important insights that will inspire all who dare to travel a spiritual path.
Published October 1st 2001 by Darton Longman and Todd (first published April 25th 2001)

I've had this book for probably five years. I tried to read it at least twice, probably more. I just couldn't stay with it. And I've read Henri Nouwen and loved his books. Well we were leaving for a trip and I was looking for a couple books to take along. I didn't choose this book but apparently it was my time to read this one. When we reached our destination Finding My Way Home was in my bag. Honestly, I did not mean to bring it along. So, okay, I decided give it another chance. This time it sp ...more
This is a book I will need to ponder for a while. It's a collection of four short essays by Henri Nouwen. Nouwen spent the last decade of his life living in a community of mentally and pysically challenged people in Canada and writes about that experience, among others, in this book. His notion of fruitfulness in the spiritual life is challenging but also seems so utterly right. It is difficult to try to "rate" an account as personal as this one. I was moved by the book and am likely to remember ...more
Hope Squires
Lovely! Especially the final section: "The Path of Living and Dying"
Cindy Hindman
Very good and he most definitely knows how to bring you to Christ. Funny thing it spoke so deeply to me as I am moving down the pathway of Christian life. This man was definitely someone who was close to God.
A little light on content, and some of the best lines are quotes from others, like: Waiting patiently in expectation is the foundation of spiritual life. - Simone Weil. However, keep in mind this book was compiled post-mortem, as the compilation of 4 pamphlets. My favorite was the last: The Path of Living and Dying. In particular, I like the treatment of loss: The question is not how to avoid loss or make it not happen, but how to choose it as a passage, as an exodus to a greater freedom.
Lots of insight here; would really give it a 3.75--especially liked the last section.
Michelle Butlig
Wonderful small book that I know I will re-read many times. I love Nouwen's writings, so personal, real and honest. Especially reflected on the last chapter on death and what it means to really live and continue to live in the lives of people after dying.
This was a great book. I think this is the first Nouwen's book that i read cover to cover. TWICE. I like his perspective on life and death, and makes me think about living differently.
What a surprisingly thoughtful little find. If you take time to read slowly and let it stew, I believe the four little essays provide some really special insights.
Peyton Herrington
Good reflections, and a rather short read. I basically read the book between 5 subway rides. It wasn't too heavy, but still retained a great deal of insight.
Easy read. Four essays reminding us we are God's beloved. The idea of fruitfulness as in doing so others may benefit, how wonderful.
I always learn something from Nouwen's writing. He writes humbly and is not afraid to share a lot of himself.
wat you can learn from this book is that there are some ppl you really will need in the long run of life
a gift from my husband - seems appropriate for where we are at these days.

Always something to savor in Nouwen.
The last chapter was especially helpful.
Olisa marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Amy Smith
Amy Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Ellen marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Cabrini Jablon
Cabrini Jablon marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Paul Smith
Paul Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Wwilkins marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
  • Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity
  • At the Heart of the White Rose: Letters and Diaries of Hans and Sophie Scholl
  • Preparing for Christmas: Daily Reflections for Advent
  • How to Read the Bible as Literature: . . . and Get More Out of It
  • The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C. S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles
  • The Lutheran Handbook: A Field Guide to Church Stuff, Everyday Stuff, and the Bible
  • Living on the Ragged Edge: Finding Joy in a World Gone Mad
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World The Inner Voice of Love