Start by marking “Finding My Way Home” as Want to Read:
Finding My Way Home

Finding My Way Home

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

Henri Nouwen became one of the most inspiring spiritual guides of the 20th century. Culled from a life of intense seeking, these profound meditations on living, waiting, power, peace, and dying offer important insights that will inspire all who dare to travel a spiritual path.
Paperback
Published October 1st 2001 by Darton Longman and Todd (first published April 25th 2001)

Nan
Jul 23, 2015 Nan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for probably five years. I tried to read it at least twice, probably more. I just couldn't stay with it. And I've read Henri Nouwen and loved his books. Well we were leaving for a trip and I was looking for a couple books to take along. I didn't choose this book but apparently it was my time to read this one. When we reached our destination Finding My Way Home was in my bag. Honestly, I did not mean to bring it along. So, okay, I decided give it another chance. This time it sp ...more
Ken
Jan 19, 2016 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
thought provoking essays on power, waiting and embracing death. these are written from a spiritual perspective on how we are to live our lives by a former priest and academic who ended up working with the disabled and the marginalized
Mar 21, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I will need to ponder for a while. It's a collection of four short essays by Henri Nouwen. Nouwen spent the last decade of his life living in a community of mentally and pysically challenged people in Canada and writes about that experience, among others, in this book. His notion of fruitfulness in the spiritual life is challenging but also seems so utterly right. It is difficult to try to "rate" an account as personal as this one. I was moved by the book and am likely to remember ...more
Hope Squires
Apr 21, 2015 Hope Squires rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely! Especially the final section: "The Path of Living and Dying"
Cindy Hindman
Very good and he most definitely knows how to bring you to Christ. Funny thing it spoke so deeply to me as I am moving down the pathway of Christian life. This man was definitely someone who was close to God.
Deborah
Nov 28, 2012 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little light on content, and some of the best lines are quotes from others, like: Waiting patiently in expectation is the foundation of spiritual life. - Simone Weil. However, keep in mind this book was compiled post-mortem, as the compilation of 4 pamphlets. My favorite was the last: The Path of Living and Dying. In particular, I like the treatment of loss: The question is not how to avoid loss or make it not happen, but how to choose it as a passage, as an exodus to a greater freedom.
Barbara
Lots of insight here; would really give it a 3.75--especially liked the last section.
Michelle Butlig
Jun 12, 2013 Michelle Butlig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful small book that I know I will re-read many times. I love Nouwen's writings, so personal, real and honest. Especially reflected on the last chapter on death and what it means to really live and continue to live in the lives of people after dying.
Fiona
Feb 28, 2009 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. I think this is the first Nouwen's book that i read cover to cover. TWICE. I like his perspective on life and death, and makes me think about living differently.
Larissa
Feb 16, 2012 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a surprisingly thoughtful little find. If you take time to read slowly and let it stew, I believe the four little essays provide some really special insights.
Peyton Herrington
Good reflections, and a rather short read. I basically read the book between 5 subway rides. It wasn't too heavy, but still retained a great deal of insight.
Bonnie
Feb 03, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Easy read. Four essays reminding us we are God's beloved. The idea of fruitfulness as in doing so others may benefit, how wonderful.
r.b
Aug 30, 2008 r.b rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I always learn something from Nouwen's writing. He writes humbly and is not afraid to share a lot of himself.
Shakira
wat you can learn from this book is that there are some ppl you really will need in the long run of life
RF
Jul 01, 2008 RF rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a gift from my husband - seems appropriate for where we are at these days.
Erin
Aug 07, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Always something to savor in Nouwen.
Steve
Nov 04, 2008 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last chapter was especially helpful.
Heidih
Heidih marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Tika
Tika is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Jean L.
Jean L. rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Bobbe
Bobbe marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Vicky Jones
Vicky Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Chris Keil
Chris Keil rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Sean Deubelbiss
Sean Deubelbiss marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Dave Greene
Dave Greene rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Elizabeth Hamilton
Elizabeth Hamilton rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Melisa Blankenship
Melisa Blankenship marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
John Forman
John Forman marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
  • The Promise of Paradox: A Celebration of Contradictions in the Christian Life
  • Christianity and Evolution
  • Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
  • Hubble's Universe: Greatest Discoveries and Latest Images
  • The Anxious Christian: Can God Use Your Anxiety for Good?
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
  • Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina
  • Preparing for Christmas: Daily Reflections for Advent
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...