Finding My Way Home

Finding My Way Home

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  12 reviews

Henri Nouwen became one of the most inspiring spiritual guides of the 20th century. Culled from a life of intense seeking, these profound meditations on living, waiting, power, peace, and dying offer important insights that will inspire all who dare to travel a spiritual path.
Paperback
Published October 1st 2001 by Darton Longman and Todd (first published April 25th 2001)

This is a book I will need to ponder for a while. It's a collection of four short essays by Henri Nouwen. Nouwen spent the last decade of his life living in a community of mentally and pysically challenged people in Canada and writes about that experience, among others, in this book. His notion of fruitfulness in the spiritual life is challenging but also seems so utterly right. It is difficult to try to "rate" an account as personal as this one. I was moved by the book and am likely to remember...more
Cindy Hindman
Very good and he most definitely knows how to bring you to Christ. Funny thing it spoke so deeply to me as I am moving down the pathway of Christian life. This man was definitely someone who was close to God.
Deborah
A little light on content, and some of the best lines are quotes from others, like: Waiting patiently in expectation is the foundation of spiritual life. - Simone Weil. However, keep in mind this book was compiled post-mortem, as the compilation of 4 pamphlets. My favorite was the last: The Path of Living and Dying. In particular, I like the treatment of loss: The question is not how to avoid loss or make it not happen, but how to choose it as a passage, as an exodus to a greater freedom.
Michelle Butlig
Wonderful small book that I know I will re-read many times. I love Nouwen's writings, so personal, real and honest. Especially reflected on the last chapter on death and what it means to really live and continue to live in the lives of people after dying.
Fiona
This was a great book. I think this is the first Nouwen's book that i read cover to cover. TWICE. I like his perspective on life and death, and makes me think about living differently.
Larissa
What a surprisingly thoughtful little find. If you take time to read slowly and let it stew, I believe the four little essays provide some really special insights.
Peyton Herrington
Good reflections, and a rather short read. I basically read the book between 5 subway rides. It wasn't too heavy, but still retained a great deal of insight.
Bonnie
Easy read. Four essays reminding us we are God's beloved. The idea of fruitfulness as in doing so others may benefit, how wonderful.
rebecca
I always learn something from Nouwen's writing. He writes humbly and is not afraid to share a lot of himself.
Shakira
wat you can learn from this book is that there are some ppl you really will need in the long run of life
RF
a gift from my husband - seems appropriate for where we are at these days.
Erin

Always something to savor in Nouwen.
Steve
The last chapter was especially helpful.
K
K marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Trevor
Trevor added it
May 30, 2014
Mar
Mar added it
May 21, 2014
Sheila Wilkinson
Sheila Wilkinson marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Apr 27, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of...more
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World The Inner Voice of Love