Start by marking “Devil's Peak (Benny Griessel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Peak (Benny Griessel, #1)

Devil's Peak (Benny Griessel #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,178 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
From rising South African thriller writer Deon Meyer, a gripping suspense novel about revenge, forgiveness, and the race to catch a trained killer. A young woman makes a terrible confession to a priest. An honorable man takes his own revenge for an unspeakable tragedy. An aging inspector tries to get himself sober while taking on the most difficult case of his career. From ...more
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Peak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Peak

Phrynne
Jun 26, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second book by this author and the first in the Benny Griessel series. It was easy to give it five stars especially as I galloped through its 409 pages of tiny print with ease. Well apart from squinting a bit because the print was really tiny. I think it must have been a cheap paperback edition.
This did not at all detract from the great story which starts out as three separate people telling their own tales and gradually links up and becomes one all encompassing event.
I really enjoyed Benny
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.75* of five

The Publisher Says: From rising South African thriller writer Deon Meyer, a gripping suspense novel about revenge, forgiveness, and the race to catch a trained killer.

Adam
This is an extremely exciting read from cover to cover. It has kept me awake and alert much later than usual. Sex, drugs, rock'n'roll: it's got all of this and much, much more. The story is populated by superb characters such as: Inspector Griessel, a police officer with an alcohol problem; Christine, a 'sex worker' who is more than a match for Carlos the drug entrepreneur, her best client; and Thobela, a Xhosa with an interesting history and an extraordinary mission.

Set mainly in the Cape Provi
orsodimondo
DEVIL’S PEAK
Ecco l’inizio della serie dedicata al detective Benny Griessel della polizia di Città del Capo, Sezione Crimini Violenti.
Seguiranno i romanzi ’13 ore’, ‘7 giorni’, e il recente ‘Cobra’, in Italia pubblicati tutti dalle Edizioni E/O.

Benny è alcolizzato: nell’alcol cerca sollievo alla morte e alla violenza con la quale deve fare i conti 24/7.
Sollievo che ovviamente non trova se non per brevi illusori attimi, seguiti da down sempre più lunghi che lavorano sul suo senso di colpa e in d
Robyn
Sep 07, 2009 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a fantastic literary example of a "french braid," a game from my comedy improv days. You begin with three completely separate scenes that have nothing to do with each other. Each time a scene is played out in turn, however, the stories begin to align and vague connections are made. By the end, all three scenes are woven into a complete whole (usually via rather humor ways). The idea is that the audience has no idea how the improv performers will weave three seemingly disparate scen ...more
Paromjit
Aug 08, 2015 Paromjit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is crime fiction of the highest order, it deals with huge complex issues both at an individual and societal levels. It is set in a South Africa and does a tremendous job in capturing its diverse modern day identity. The author is a talented writer and I, for one, intend to read his other books. He is gifted in building and maintaining suspense, so much so that once you start reading, you do not want to stop for anything.

The structure of the story revolves around the following three strands
Elizabeth A
Aug 22, 2015 Elizabeth A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2015
Book blurb: A young woman makes a terrible confession to a priest. An honorable man takes his own revenge for an unspeakable tragedy. An aging inspector tries to get himself sober while taking on the most difficult case of his career. From this beginning, Deon Meyer weaves a story of astonishing complexity and suspense, as Inspector Benny Griessel faces off against a dangerous vigilante who has everything on his side, including public sympathy.

This is the first of five books in the Benny Griess
Rob Kitchin
May 06, 2012 Rob Kitchin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The real strengths of Devil's Peak are the characterisation, plotting and sense of place. Meyer provides an intricate story based on three in-depth character studies embedded in the turmoil of South African society, its criminal underbelly, and overstretched and corrupt police force. Over the course of the novel their back stories are revealed and teased apart as their lives start to intersect. The story moves at a steady pace, at times a little too slow for my tastes, slowed by detailed descrip ...more
Marnie  Krüger
This book touched on many subjects that is a huge issue in South Africa. Meyer masterfully merge all the good and bad of what our beautiful country have to offer.

The reason I only rate it 2stars is plain because I know - reading thirteenth hour, before Devil's Peak - that Meyer has so much more potential. In Devil's Peak (Infanta) he has the tendency to drag, to give unnecessary explanations or over indulge in describing scenery.

Still if I would've read this one before reading Thirteenth Hour,
Milan Raška
Mar 20, 2015 Milan Raška rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skvele vypraveni a prolinani trech pribehu, ktere se pomalu spojuji dohromady.
Za me trochu pokulhava druha cast, venujici se prevazne detektivovi a jeho alkoholovym problemum, ale treti zase vrati vse do poradku a vede k napinavemu, byt lehce predvidatelnemu konci.
Annabee
Dec 09, 2012 Annabee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tot halverwege dacht ik dit boek te waarderen met vier sterren, maar het werd zó goed dat het er vijf zijn geworden.
Maddy
Mar 08, 2010 Maddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
SETTING: Cape Town, South Africa
SERIES: Somewhat related to previous books
RATING: 4.75

Thobela "Tiny" Mpayipheli hasn't lived an exemplary life. The closest he's come to pure happiness is in his relationship with a young woman, Miriam, and her son, Pakamile. After Miriam's death, the father and his adopted son lead an almost idyllic existence. Pakamile is a wonderful boy, and Thobela blossoms in the role of fatherhood. When Pakamile is killed, Thobela is beyond devastated; his whole reason for li
Sunnie
Jan 03, 2009 Sunnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Benny Giessler is on his last chance. His drinking has forced his wife to toss him out of the house. She has given him an ultimatum. Six months to sober up or he won't see his kids again. He has to choose between the booze and his family. His, boss is supportive and books Benny into a de-tox centre. Benny now has to try and return to work, find a new place to live and come to terms with life without alcohol.

Joubert demonstrates his faith in Benny by assigning him to a murder case. Someone is mur
Andrew Smith
Jul 26, 2011 Andrew Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deon Mayer is a new writer to me. A South African whose books are translated from Afrikaans, he writes with passion about his country today and does not shirk from discussing some of the social problems openly and with refreshing bluntness. This thriller involves three complex, interesting but flawed characters and addresses some very uncomfortable issues such as the predilection towards child rape, born from the pervasive myth that it can provide a cure for AIDS. It’s an uncomfortable and uncom ...more
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
I have been aware of this author for quite some time, after stumbling across his books when looking for crime fiction based in other countries. I had never read anything based in South Africa and so this immediately peaked my interest. I downloaded the sample via kindle and was gripped, so much so, I decided to buy the paperback, as I gathered this would be a series I would eventually want to collect!

The novel opens in Cape Town, it is broken into four parts all named after characters central to
Coenraad
Jun 14, 2017 Coenraad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deon Meyer se beste speurverhaal - weens die kompleksiteit van die drie hoofkarakters (Bennie Griessel, Thobela Mpayipheli en Christine; die realistiese taalgebruik (kruhede en al ...) en omgewingsbeelding; die refleksie van die Suid-Afrikaanse werklikheid. Vandat 'n mens begin wonder oor wat dan nou in die boks is tot die bedrieglik soetlike slottoneel (perd, wit paalheining, mooi meisie ...) sit jy vasgenael, soos met 'n tipiese Meyer-verhaal - maar hier gaan dit soveel dieper en komplekser as ...more
Beth
I give up - 1*

I entered this giveaway with no hope that I'd ever receive this book. I'd previously never read any South African crime fiction before and was desperate to read even if I had not won it. But then I received an email from Goodreads, I had won.

As this is my first giveaway win, I was deeply excited for this novel that I had the pleasure to read.
What a disappointment! I couldn't physically get to the end... I just couldn't. The characters was dreadful people - Benny Griessel is suppose
Jean
Jul 25, 2011 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another superb thriller by Deon Meyer.

Three characters form the main thrust of this intricate astute thriller
Chistine is a prostitute telling her story to a priest. Benny Griessel is an alcoholic policeman whose wife kicks him out because of his drinking. He has to track down a vigilante killer who seem to be concentrating on child murderers.
Then there's Thobela the vigilante, who saddened and angry that so few child abusers are prosecuted in a court of law decides to take the law into his own h
Spuddie
Dec 31, 2011 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent first in series set in modern-day South Africa. Features Benny Griessel, a long-time police detective who is also reaching the end of his alcoholic string as his wife boots him out of the house and his boss issues an ultimatum to get sober or else. While trying to cope with drying out, Benny must also deal with a brutal serial killer who actually has a lot of supporters, as he is killing people who harm children and get away with it using a ritual assagai. (A long-handled spear/knife.) ...more
Amy
May 02, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and intriguing read. The book doesn't fit neatly into either a crime-genre or literary box, it's a little of both which makes it an excellent read. An added bonus is that it takes place in South Africa and you learn a lot about the culture, history, and society throughout. The story is told through the perspective of three different people: an alcoholic cop who is trying to get sober after being kicked out by his wife, a sex worker trying to do something better for the sake of ...more
Sue
Written by South African author, Deon Meyer, this is a thriller with a moral twist. This was another book in my quest to read 'new' South African authors and it didn't disappoint at all. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like Deon Meyer's writing style and the careful development of his characters. This book is set in the Cape against a background of rampant crime in South Africa. Thobela Mpayipheli is an assegai-wielding killer - choosing only to kill child abusers after his young son is killed in a s ...more
Leslynn
Mar 17, 2016 Leslynn rated it it was amazing
I love this author's writing style and appreciate the accuracy of his locations - especially my home town! As the characters travel through Cape Town, I am able to visualize the surroundings and feel a part of the story.

Benny Griesel is a real person - a boer from behind the 'Boerewors Curtain' (which is what Capetonians call the Northern Suburbs), who struggles to live life without his double Klippies and Coke. He makes mistakes, but is passionate about his family and job - this is someone I c
Ladiibbug
Quit reading at page 30 - no stars given

Benny Griessel is a police inspector, a hard core alcoholic who has ruined his marriage. He assaults his wife in the presence of his child/children, which finally moves his wife to kick him out.

A rave review of book 3 in this series prompted me to begin with #1. I have no interest in reading about those with addictions, let alone wife and child abusers as the main characters.
Valerie
Another great police mystery from South African author Deon Meyer, featuring detective Benny Griesel. I had already met Griesel in 13 Hours (more recently published), which I liked better than this book. Still, it fills in some details about Griesel's struggle with alcohol, family issues, and is, as always, super interesting in terms of describing race and ethnic rivalries in the new South Africa.
Sam
Dec 18, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another crime novel set in South Africa by the amazing Deon Meyer. The cop is a drunk battling the bottle and his reputation, the girl is a prostitute, the criminal is a drug dealer. Set against life in Cape Town it is rich in detail and the pace and atmosphere is, as always, gripping. A sympathetic examination of a serial killer with a point.I await the next installment.
Sherrie
Sep 21, 2012 Sherrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding book, and very happily for me the first in a series. Centering around three main characters, Meyer gradually teases out the thin lines separating morality and justice, and does it in not-so-expected ways. I can't wait to get to the library and check out more of his books.
Jackie Hayter
Nov 19, 2011 Jackie Hayter rated it really liked it
Love Deon Meyer's books, and this one is no exception. This is where Bennie Griessel"s story starts, so i should have read it first. But i still loved it!
Michelle
Sep 10, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime lovers
Recommended to Michelle by: Carin Burger
My favourite of all the Deon Meyer books. Brilliant plot by a mastermind that unravels as you read.
Nic Mörkötarha
Mar 22, 2015 Nic Mörkötarha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time in a while that I've read a book that took its time in developing a story and carefully crafted characters. Felt like a quick read despite being over 400 pages long.
Jaco Prinsloo
Sep 25, 2013 Jaco Prinsloo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bennie Griessel......what a legend!
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #1)
  • Wake Up Dead (Cape Town #2)
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • Daddy's Girl (Clare Hart, #3)
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • Sezione Suicidi
  • Every Bitter Thing (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #4)
  • Payback
  • Der Trümmermörder
  • The Silence of the Rain
  • Moerbeibos
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • Zulu
Deon Meyer was born in the South African town of Paarl in the winelands of the Western Cape in 1958, and grew up in Klerksdorp, in the gold mining region of Northwest Province.

After military duty and studying at the Potchefstroom University, he joined Die Volksblad, a daily newspaper in Bloemfontein as a reporter. Since then, he has worked as press liaison, advertising copywriter, creative directo
More about Deon Meyer...

Benny Griessel (5 books)
  • Thirteen Hours (Benny Griessel, #2)
  • 7 dae (Bennie Griessel, #3)
  • Cobra (Benny Griessel, #4)
  • Icarus (Benny Griessel, #5)