Start by marking “Shake Down” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Shake Down

Joel Goldman

Shake Down (Jack Davis Mystery #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,018 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
If you like the knockout suspense of Michael Connelly and the gritty "who done its" by Linda Fairstein, you'll love Joel Goldman's Shakedown!

"Goldman tells a story at a breakneck pace..."
Kansas City Star

"A killer identified via a fleeting facial expression and behavioral clues turns a middle-aged FBI agent dealing with a disruptive disability into an unexpected hero in
Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shake Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shake Down

Sean Peters
Sep 27, 2016 Sean Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read from this author, not my last !

A middle-aged FBI agent dealing with a disruptive disability turns into an unexpected hero in JoelGoldman's latest terrific thriller.

After the brutal murder of Marcellus Pearson, a notorious Kansas City drug dealer, the collateral damage includes his cronies; his young son, Jalise, Jalise's mother (and Pearson's girlfriend); and an older woman who witnesses the killer fleeing the crime scene. The shooter is Pearson's mild-mannered neighbor, Latrell Ke
Kemper
When I reviewed Gillian Flynn’s Dark Places a few months back, I did more than my fair share of bitching about how my hometown Kansas City (and the Midwest in general) rarely has any fiction set here. So I felt kind of stupid when I was browsing a mystery book store a few weeks back and saw a table for local authors and several books by Joel Goldman that were set in KC.

As I was looking them over, one of the clerks told me that Goldman was a local attorney who had written several legal thrillers
Jacque
Mar 26, 2017 Jacque rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've heard Joel Goldman touted as the next John Grisham, and although I don't agree with that, I really enjoyed this book. It had enough mystery, action and suspense to keep me reading well past my bedtime on a couple of nights. The Kansas City area setting with the many references to locations with which I'm quite familiar added a lot of enjoyment for me, since there aren't a lot of books set here. I had already read and enjoyed the second book in the Jack Davis series, so this one filled in so ...more
Marti
Jan 21, 2016 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kansas City and the FBI---is where this book takes us. There are drugs and murder with one agent having the shakes. There are some positives--the orphaned dog adopted by the agent for one. Otherwise it is rather bleak.
Robert Montminy
Aug 09, 2009 Robert Montminy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I enjoyed learning about Jack Davis and look forward to reading the latest due out in 2010. Goldman is a shoe-in!
Von Glitschka
May 21, 2012 Von Glitschka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joel handles this genre well. Fun read. Enjoyed it for what it is, but I still prefer his law thriller novels best.
Patrick Wilson
This was pretty good. I thought it was kinda slow getting started, but it finished well.
Joan
Oct 30, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like these characters and the accomplished writing style of the author.
Dan Ryan
Aug 04, 2008 Dan Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A while back, I received a free review copy of Shake Down, and I put off reading it until I had airplane time. Joel Goldman is a local lawyer, and this book is his 5th thriller. It's set in the greater Kansas City area, with most of the action taking place in the Argentine area.

The first mystery presented is the title. Is it "Shakedown" or "Shake Down"? The author's website and various reviews present it as a single word, while my copy has the compound word broken in half on the cover and spine.
Teryl
Oct 06, 2016 Teryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I enjoyed this, but preferred his other series.
Frank M Fernholz
Loved it

The characters are well developed and realistic. I live in Kansas City and the book does a great job of weaving the area into it. I will read the second book
Hobart
Jul 15, 2013 Hobart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
Goldman's pulled off what so many try, and so few succeed: a new (and worthwhile) angle on a procedural that raises it above the masses.

He doesn't do it with story -- I think that's an almost impossible task -- he pulls it off with character. It's the easiest, and the most effective -- characters will stick with you a lot longer than stories. FBI Agent Jack Davis is one of those characters that's taken up residence in the back of my brain.

Jack's not doing well -- his wife is divorcing him, his
T. Certain
Feb 15, 2017 T. Certain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!

Great storytelling and good editing are the secret to 5 stars, and this book has both. Hell is what Agent Davis is going thru, and he keeps on walking! The story will keep you reading when you should be doing something else.
Charles Ray
Aug 06, 2016 Charles Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FBI Special Agent Jack Davis is investigating a drug dealer, using some rather unorthodox methods. At the same time, he’s contending with his own body’s rebellion—he frequently is subjected to violent shaking and tremors—a condition he’s trying to hide from his colleagues and his boss. When the drug dealer, his gang, and his family are slaughtered, Jack is caught off guard, and his condition comes to light, just as he suspects someone on his own team of leaking information to the bad guys. Jack ...more
Jody
Jan 08, 2009 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially had a hard time getting into the book because I was expecting it to be another book with Lou Mason as the protagonist. Instead, I found myself reading about Special Agent Jack Davis. This book does take place in Kansas City, just as the Mason books do. Joel writes about a town he knows well. Davis is placed on uspension
because of a severe attack of the shakes at a crime scene. He has to see a doctor (or doctors) to see if the shakes he keeps having are due to something physical, or
Peggy
Aug 24, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Joel Goldman, and it captured my imagination from the first chapter all the way to the last. It is a story about a man who is so tired of the drug dealing in his neighborhood that he takes matters into his own hands-though this is not his first killing. It is the story of Jack Davis, FB agent who is assigned to Kansas City, where out of the blue he develops spasms which puts him on medical leave from the FBI, but this does not stop him from trying to figure ...more
Arthur
Oct 22, 2014 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shakedown (Jack Davis Thriller)

What do you think of when you hear a doctor tell you, "you have 'tics'!" All you know is that you're experiencing the worst cramps, tremors, and shakes your body has ever went through and you can't control what is happening to your body or your career as a FBI Agent working to find answers to why drug dealers are dying. Your life as you know it seems to be over. How does Jack Davis deal with it. Turn the page and hang on! Thanks for another great read.
Darlene
Nov 28, 2016 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Crime Novel

I wasn't sure how I was going to rate this book. At first it seemed slow moving. But, it did pick up the pace mid-story. I think the human frailty exhibited by Jack added to the realness of the character. The characters were well developed. I won't give away anything but I felt the ending was very good - very real. I'm not sure if I'll read more of this series or not, but that is a personal choice in taste and does not reflect on the book itself. I think anyone who enjoys crime n
Shannon
Mar 13, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT! Although first in the Jack Davis series, this is the second I've enjoyed. Continuity-wise, I didn't miss out by reading this after the fact, but I feel like I've got a better handle on Jack and the play-by-play of Monkey Girl's mysterious disappearance. Great characters, a lawman with his own code and an interesting affliction that doesn't affect his sense of humor. I want to read more of his stories!
Susan
Dec 08, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This was my first experience with Joel Goldman's thrillers. I very much enjoyed the book. Kansas City is a refreshing change of location from the frequently used LA or New York City. The characters were well developed, the plot moved quickly and the requisite number of obstacles appeared at all the correct times. The ending satisfied without being sappy. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this talented writer.
Elizabeth Wilson Higgins
Reviting read

Enjoyed this book so much I'm going to start next book now. So only time to say l like a hero who isn't perfect and l believe Jack Davis and l are going to get on well.
HKelleyB
Favorite Quote(s): 1.Guns are unforgiving weapons. They carry out the errors committed by the person firing them without apology or regret.
2. He snapped her neck like it was nothing. She was already dead to him. He just made it real.

This was a great read. Fast-paced, action-filled, and surprisingly funny. I look forward to reading more from Joel Goldman.
Bill
Nov 27, 2016 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly Good

With Kindle Unlimited, I've learned to endure bad to moderately good books by little known authors. 'Shakedown' was a pleasant shock - well written, complex plot, good character development and suspenseful through the end. I'll be watching for more of his author's work.
Don
Oct 18, 2011 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Police procedural with a medical side-slant that is a little non-developmental but nevertheless a little more interesting than the police procedure itself. Fun if frustrating cat-and-mouse antics between FBI and local cops. Author plainly loves his town, and except perhaps in others of his books you'll never see Kansas City, Kansas so homily front and center.
Tulay
Jun 25, 2015 Tulay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book second time.

Read this author's books long ago, it was all three of them in a bundle. If I like the book and author's style, I turn around and buy it to have it in my library. This time to help him to write more books, bought this single version, even I knew the ending read and enjoyed it more. Read all his books you'll love it too.
Ruth Mcintosh
Jul 24, 2013 Ruth Mcintosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off slow and rather hard to read for the first chapter. Once you got past the first chapter it became quite an easy book to read. The story had a plot timeline with interesting twists and turns. It's about an FBI agent who gets so close to a case, that he cannot let it go for more than just personal reasons.
Dave
Apr 23, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Mr Goldman and am glad I decided to read it. The story is gripping and flows from one thrilling moment to the incredibly suspenseful climax. I was solving the case right there with Jack, it was awesome! You'll have to experience it yourself to know what I mean. Definitely worth it! Enjoy!
Susan Moore
Jul 16, 2015 Susan Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery with tons of action and intrigue.

I liked the book because of the characters, plot, and writing style. I would have given it five stars, but for the editorial errors. A ? replaced all fl writings in the entire manuscript.
David Tarasevich
Well Written

Yeoman's effort. Good plot. Excellent characterization. Well developed novel. Unpredictable developments that although unexpected and surprisingly effective added strength to the effort. Look forward to the next installment.
Kevin
Oct 30, 2016 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack

An FBI agent, Jack Davis, is in the middle of a case when he comes down with the shakes. He gets a medical leave from the force and continues to investigate the case. Very well written with a nice surprise in the end! Enjoy!
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Three To Get Deadly
  • Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4)
  • The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)
  • Grave Situation (Allan Stanton #1)
  • Irrefutable
  • Wrecker
  • Coyote's Daughter
  • Dust Devils
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • Subculture
  • Knighthorse
  • The Paperboys Club
  • Takeover (Theresa MacLean, #1)
  • Sloane Monroe Series Boxed Set (Books 1-3)
  • The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1)
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn #1)
Joel Goldman is the Edgar and Shamus nominated author of the Lou Mason legal thriller series. His current series features former FBI Special Agent Jack Davis whose investigative work is complicated by a movement disorder that makes him shake when he should shoot. Joel lives with his wife and two dogs in Leawood, KS, a suburb of Kansas City, MO.

Series:
* Lou Mason Mystery
* Jack Davis Mystery
* Alex
More about Joel Goldman...

Jack Davis Mystery (3 books)
  • The Dead Man (Jack Davis Mystery, #2)
  • No Way Out (Jack Davis Mystery, #3)

“the open front door. KCK cops had formed a perimeter, keeping the” 0 likes