Start by marking “The Way Between the Worlds” as Want to Read:
The Way Between the Worlds

The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror #4)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,569 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In the conclusion to this series, Karan, the young Sensitive who holds the Mirror of Aachen, which has the power to heal or permanently destroy the rift between Worlds, is held captive. Her lover, Llian, is in chains, falsely accused of betraying her. With the dark moon rising, the Charon Rulke is unstoppable as he prepares to open the Way between the Worlds.
Published February 28th 2009 by Orbit (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Way Between the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way Between the Worlds

Mark
Aug 17, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
This is a difficult one for me. I definitely enjoyed the plot, the characters and to a certain extend, the conclusion. I think what keeps me from rating this set higher than 3 stars was the writing style. This is a very personal thing (I find Tolkien a hard read for the same reason, so he's in good company), but I just didn't fall in love with the way he told the story.

His descriptions were sometimes quite extraordinary and I found myself so astonished at his choice of phrase that I found it det
Misha
May 20, 2012 Misha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Said simply: I really enjoyed the book. The ending wasn't a 'everyone lives happily ever after', which was a very big surprise. It was very sad and made me think about how all the events tied in - not giving too much away, the book is covered in decisions upon decisions of the numerous characters, and the way everything ties into each other at the end is incredible.
It made me question what was right, what was wrong, who was evil, who was good. There is no 'bad side' and 'good side', where the go
Cassy
S. Lynham
I quite enjoyed this series which was different from the usual "Lord of the Rings" fantasy novel and would highly recommend it to lovers of fantasy literature...there is a bit of sci-fi to this tale of various human species stuck on one world, some of whom wish to return to their own. The machinations of the 2 groups who want to return to their home worlds are sometimes hilarious despite the fact that I doubt they were meant to be. But Irving does write a bit "tongue in cheek" so perhaps they we ...more
Barbara
Jun 12, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally - I'm exhausted! What a read. On the other had, I did not want it to end. I haven't read any books that have kept me as engrossed as The View from the Mirror quartet for a long time. I recommend this series of books whole-heartedly. I don't know anything about writing book reviews, all I know is what I like. I never would have thought that I would have bought books in this category - but I'm glad I did. I will certainly be reading more of Ian Irvine's books
Doris
Jun 10, 2009 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A very good ending to a good series. Mostly a happy ending though, which I wasn't expecting seeing as I accidentally read the second series set in the same world (the Geomancer series) first.

So why only four stars? Because I missed... that intangible something, a bit of subtlety, a bit of empathy, a bit of eloquence. You could say that it's my bias as a female reader against a male author but I don't think so, there are plenty of male authors who absolutely master the "impersonal personal touch"
Miss Laney Us
Feb 16, 2014 Miss Laney Us rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an exciting end to the Way of the Worlds!! I wait in anticipation for the next instalment. Excellent read with rich characters, some you even want to hate and yet you can't. Strong heroines too. I have already recommended to others
Chrys Matthews
Nov 01, 2015 Chrys Matthews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Extremely well worth reading with plenty of unusual twists and turns. The ending is definitely well worth reading and not what I thought it would be.
Iben
This book concludes the tale of Karan, Llian, the Mirror and all who have been swept up by the events. And what a series it has been, friends and enemies, love and betrayal, survival and death. The imagination of Ian Irvine is really a thing to celebrate.

The plotling has throughout the whole series been original and ever changing, this has not changed. The reader can be sure of nothing until those two amazing words "The End" stops it all. Until then everything is in flux and the unsuspecting rea
Christine
The series is finally over- and I am rather unsure as how to rate the overall experience.

Throughout most of the series, I felt like there was way too much going on, and it felt the same through this book. Most of these books probably could have been shortened by 200 pages, and reduced some of the lengthy plot and backstory in order to make it feel less like swimming through mud.

The ending of this book was rather shocking- usually I enjoy a different, rather sad ending, but in a way it also felt
Victoria Young
Jan 09, 2012 Victoria Young rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A entertaining, satisfying resolution to the epic View from the Mirror series. I particularly liked that this novel had a lot of focus on creating shades of grey in the morality of the protagonists and antagonists. Some of the character development was a bit on the predictable side, but there is definitely more interest in this plot than your average good vs. evil fantasy.
Kayla Quay
Mar 03, 2009 Kayla Quay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Ian Irvine manages to plan his twists from the beginning of the series, sort of the way J.K Rowling does, but Irvine is a much more convincing and talented author.

I also love how it's not happily ever after for everyone, that the story manages to have a streak or realism in the fantasy based novel.

Peace out!
Ellise
This books redeemed the rest of the series. I loved every bit of it and the ending was magnificent. I will read Irvine's other books in the Tale of the Three Worlds cycle. He definitely knows how to make you fall in love with the characters and nailed the perfect ending to a perfect series.
Maria
This series is a worthwhile addition to any fantasy collection. Loved the absence of gender bias, and thought that the development of the worlds was intriguing. However, by the fourth book, I found the narrative had palled. Maybe I should not have read the books one after the other...
Connie53
Oct 27, 2015 Connie53 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Dit laatste deel van de serie is te veel van hetzelfde om nog spannend en vernieuwend te zijn. Een 6 is niet meer dan ik kan geven. Wel een beetje jammer, maar ik wilde wel weten hoe het nu af zou lopen met Karan en Llian. Weer een serie van de TBR-lijst af.
Kristi
Jul 16, 2008 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The series finished with a bang! My favorite apart about the end is that there is no fairy-tale ending. Life goes on, but not everyone lives and not every is happy. It's very real.
Chris Pacheco
Sep 24, 2013 Chris Pacheco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i dont want this to be over but it is. oh man. if i could giveit more than 5 i would. anyone who talks this story down is a chump, and knows not of what they speak.
David Melbie
Dec 05, 2010 David Melbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Jeannie Yarbrough
Yes! This was a fantastic work! I really enjoyed the whole mythology Irvine created -- really awesome stuff. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Kathi
Aug 24, 2013 Kathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Overall, a satisfying conclusion to "The View from the Mirror" quartet. Not too pat, not everyone lives happily ever after, but not all chaos and loose ends.
Vanlangendonck Tim
Happy this book was finished. The story really went a bit lost on me. Lots of the same topics plus a rhythym that doesn't appeal to me.
Mike
Apr 06, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good end to the series. All questions were answered. Characters continued to evolve. Everyone got what they deserved.
Michelle
I enjoyed this one the most of the 4. He ties everything up nicely, and I was having trouble putting it down towards the end.
Giselle Biviano
May 20, 2012 Giselle Biviano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!!!
it connected really well with the rest of the books
well written
happy ending (whcih I really like)
Nikki Kelly
Aug 29, 2007 Nikki Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally melds and disforms the line between good and evil. It makes me upset that his other series were not published in the US.
Jocelyn
Sep 13, 2012 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a fantastic journey through the series, and this book ends the characters tale in an emmense way.
Matt
Jul 04, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, i enjoyed this book. Had great scope and depth. I found my self emersed...
N. Davis
Jun 24, 2013 N. Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect ending to such a fantastic series! I would re-read these books.
Henri
May 22, 2012 Henri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ties the story up nicely... wish i'd read it before the 2nd series
Mica
Jan 11, 2014 Mica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly under appreciated gem among the fantasy world.

9.0/10
Alycia
Dec 26, 2008 Alycia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great ending a great story. It was just awesome!
  • Destiny (Trinity, #3)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons, #2)
  • Lessek's Key: The Eldarn Sequence Book 2
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
  • The Dark Moon: The Guardian Cycle (The Guardian Cycle, #1)
  • When We Have Wings
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • Green Monkey Dreams: Stories
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
  • Havenstar
I'm an Australian author of 32 novels, mainly fantasy. They include the bestselling Three Worlds epic fantasy sequence, which has sold over a million print copies and has been published in 11 countries. It comprises The View from the Mirror quartet, The Well of Echoes quartet and The Song of the Tears trilogy. I’m currently writing The Gates of Good and Evil, the long-awaited sequel to The View fr ...more
More about Ian Irvine...

The View from the Mirror (4 books)
  • A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)