Gateways

Gateways

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  21 reviews

An anthology of new, original stories by bestselling science fiction authors, inspired by science fiction great Frederik Pohl

It isn’t easy to get a group of bestselling SF authors to write new stories for an anthology, but that’s what Elizabeth Anne Hull has done in this powerhouse book. With original, captivating tales by Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, Ben Bova, David Brin,
Published July 6th 2010 by Tor Books (first published June 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gateways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gateways

Kelly Flanagan
This was truly one of the BEST short Sci Fi I've ever read! even though I do read some of these authors, these are the stories Fredrick Pohl inspired in these great authors. Read this book it's worth it!
Keanan Brand
My favorite entry in the book? The Neil Gaiman poem, "The [Backspace] Merchants".

The various essays discussing the authors' acquaintance with Mr. Pohl were also interesting reading, often more interesting than the stories they came between. Maybe I enjoyed them because I love history and learning how people connect through time, coincidence, profession, or love of the same things -- in this case, science fiction in particular and great stories in general.

There's an impressive list of contributor...more
Raj
I heard about this anthology, which was conceived as a present from his wife for his 90th birthday, on Fred Pohl's (rather excellent) blog, The Way The Future Blogs. I was taken with the number of quality authors involved in the project and was delighted to receive it as a present. I haven't been disappointed with the book at all either. The stories are all new, written specially for this anthology and they are interspersed with a number of appreciations of Pohl from yet more big names in the ge...more
Mike
I brought Gateways because I liked Frederik Pohl's work and was interested in the list of authors who had contributed, some I had read others I hadn't. There are some big names in this anthology, but like most anthologies I have read it is uneven, but may be not as uneven as others I have read.

The following are my thoughts on the fiction contained in the book:

Shoresteading by David Brin (4 stars). I enjoyed this story. It is set in a world where seas levels have risen and what used to be prime...more
Philip Athans
This is the book I bought for National Buy a Book Day, which is today, Sept. 7! I will begin reading it today.

10/19/2010:

Brilliant! Though I admit the shared-worlder in me expected an anthology of stories set in Pohl's "Gateway Universe" what I got instead was an exceptional collection of original SF stories from some of the best in the business, and great insider stuff about the venerable Mr. Pohl.

I had the good fortune of meeting Frederick Pohl at a scho...more
J.
May 25, 2014 J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
3.5 stars. Oliver Wyman narrates this collection of sci-fi short stories. As usual he does an excellent job. I was expecting a book full of short stories from the Gateway universe, but the title 'Gateways' is simply a throwback title as these stories have been dedicated to Frederik Pohl.

I have enjoyed almost all the short stories with the exception of a couple. Until listening to this collection I didn't realize that so many sci-fi writers were pro-communist libtards, but I've made the point bef...more
Gina M Jordan
A very poor collection with only a couple stories of any interest, this book dedicated to Pohl might as well have stayed a private gift to these many author's role model & been better served.
Matthew
Some hits, some misses. Particularly liked Cory Doctorow's "Chicken Little" at the end, which is available in full on tor.com.
claire
Meh. No less mediocre than the majority of SF anthologies. I have never been particularly worshipful of Frederik Pohl - in fact, I don't believe I've ever read one of his novels, just come across his shorter fiction over the years. Due to this, I'm sure I failed to grasp the stylistic tributes being paid to him in this collection. I certainly found the random homages and remembrances that were interspersed between stories to be totally unnecessary. Perhaps that's just me.
Kam-Yung Soh
An anthology of stories and articles by many authors who have been influenced by Frederik Pohl, who is now an Hugo award winning Fan writer in his nineties.

Not all the stories are fantastic but enough of them are to make this a readable book. Also of interest are the reminisces of the authors and other people who were unable to contribute stories. What you may do after reading this book is to look through Pohl's list of books and stories and start reading them to discover the varied works of thi...more
Kate
This is a very enjoyable homage to a very talented SF writer, by many other talented SF writers. Each story was so different, yet all were very human (if you'll excuse my earth-centricity). Some of my favourites are Chicken Little by Cory Doctorow for its insight, On Safari by Mike Resnick for its humour, and I am very much looking forward to the finished novel Tales from the Spaceship Geoffrey by James Gunn from which 4 chapters were pulled for this anthology.
Chris LaHatte
This is not just any old copy but a signed edition, signed by both Fred Pohl and Elizabeth Hull, which I have won, to my great surprise and pleasure. It is also signed by some of the other writers.

The stories are a mixed bag, most written well but not all of the same standard of plot, character and originality. What makes the book most interesting is the biographical segments about Fred Pohl. I will edit this later to add more about some of the stories.
Dana
Nov 15, 2010 Dana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
The first and last stories were very good, as well as one in the middle. The rest were okay, but many felt either slapped together quickly or were just little snippets from larger works, which minimized their impact. Not bad for an anthology, and definitely a lovely tribute to Frederick Pohl, as was intended. Now I need to go read some Pohl and find out why these authors love him so!
David Marshall
This anthology has some excellent stories and there are some nice biographical details about Frederik Pohl. It's really a 3.5 stars but, being denied the half facility, I've scaled it down because some of the stories are really weak.

Sven
A very entertaining collection of stories from a spectrum of outstanding SF authors. This offers insights into the world of science fiction writing as well, decorated with stories of the amazing career and fiction of Fred Pohl, author, editor, mentor, and friend.

Shdwpoet2
Topher
A collection of short stories in honor of Frederick Pohl's 90th birthday. I really enjoy quite a few of the authors that contributed - however, it was also depressing to realize how old many of these other authors are based on their afterwards!
Stephen
Great stories. particularly enjoyed Tales from Spaceship Geoffrey and The Errand Boy. Even with those the appreciations and notes about Fred Pohl would have made the book a worthy read.
Mike

Excellent! A wonderful collection of originals from various writers, recollections, and letters of appreciation from Frederic Pohl's friends and compatriots!
Imogene
A great collection and a wonderful tribute to Frederik Pohl
Dennis
Some interesting short stories.
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Hal
Hal marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
The Disenfranchisement of Ex-Felons Without Justice for All: The Constitutional Rights of Aliens Requirements Engineering Taking Liberties: National Barriers to the Free Flow of Ideas Piety, Politics, and Pluralism: Religion, the Courts, and the 2000 Election