Start by marking “The Price of Malice (Joe Gunther #20)” as Want to Read:
The Price of Malice (Joe Gunther #20)

The Price of Malice (Joe Gunther #20)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Joe Gunther’s Vermont Bureau of Investigation team is plenty busy trying to solve the grisly murder of Wayne Castine, a suspected child predator who’s got mob ties in the area. But Gunther has other pressing, more personal business to attend to: the old case of his girlfriend Lyn Silva’s father and brother. Fishermen both, they were once believed to be lost at sea. Until t...more
Published September 28th 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Malice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Malice

Andy Plonka
I like this series, so I keep wondering why I've missed so many of the entries. In this one Gunther's present squeeze is confronted with the possibility that her father and brother did not die in a boating accident many years ago as he had grown up thinking.
Elaine
While Joe Gunther and his team of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation are pursuing leads in the death of a suspected child predator, he and his girlfriend Lyn Silva are in the midst of a separate case in Maine involving her father and brother long believed to be lost at sea.

The story itself was interesting enough. Did I love it? No. However, I liked that there were two mysteries going on simultaneously. There was excitement happening in various New England locations - Brattleboro, Vermont, Glou...more
Kayeb
This is a joe gunther book and it is generally a good read. I enjoy getting to know these key characters, and enjoy seeing a bit more unfolding for his colleagues as well. I am, personally, not yet so fond of his new squeeze.....don't know why relationships I like so often get torn apart by authors!

Wayne Castine was found brutally murdered and the murderer remains at large. Castine, a suspected child predator, was killed in Brattleboro where he was involved with a tangled network of an extended...more
Tony
Mayor, Archer. THE PRICE OF MALICE. (2009). ****. Mayor is one of those regional crime writers that has picked up a solid following over the years and continues to come out with well-written and well-plotted police procedurals year after year. His series hero is Joe Gunther, now a senior officer in the VBI (Vermont Bureau of Investigation). You wouldn’t think a lot of crime happens in Vermont, but there’s enough – if only in the author’s mind – to support Gunther and his crew. What makes these n...more
Ginny
20th in the series of Joe Gunther murder mysteries. This book picks up where "Catch", leaves off. Joe Gunther's girlfriend Lyn has returned home to Gloucester to her mom and younger brother, after learning that her dad and older brother may not have been "lost at sea" as they thought, but perhaps certain dealings had gotten them killed. Back in Brattleboro, the VBI is on a case. A body is discovered, and by all accounts the male victim was a lowlife child molester that would not be missed. But w...more
Margaret
This is #20 in the Joe Gunther series, and since I've read all of them over the years, in order, it's like visiting an old friend. I enjoy these books b/c of the locale (Vermont), the main characters (police officers), the writing (talented), and Mayor's social commentary. The latter struck me this time since it's not typical for a mystery series, meaning his commentary on the communities and neighborhoods, and how the economic and industrial history of a place, focusing on New England here, of...more
James Thane
This is the twentieth entry in Archer Mayor's long-running series featuring Joe Gunther who, through the years, has graduated from being a police officer in Brattleboro, Vermont, to his current position as head of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation.

A Brattleboro low-life named Wayne Castine is brutally murdered. Castine has a reputation as a child molester and no one is mourning his passing. Still, the case gets handed off to the VBI and Joe's team begins an exhaustive investigation that comes...more
LJ
First Sentence: Willy Kunkle gently removed his one functional hand from the bare back of the woman stretched out beside him and reached for the softly buzzing cell phone on the night table.

Wayne Castine, a suspected pedophile, has been found brutally stabbed, in the apartment of a neighbor who didn’t know him. While Willy, Sammie and the VBI team work to solve the murder, Joe is off on a personal investigation. He is helping his girlfriend, Lyn, discover who murdered her father and brother.

I lo...more
Kate
The gritty side of life in Brattleboro is exposed in this Joe Gunther story as the VBI investigates the grisly murder of Wayne Castine. Additionally, Joe is distracted as his girlfriend, Lyn Silva, is kidnapped in Maine while she tries to find out what happened to her father and brother, lobster fishermen from Glouster.
Ed
#20 in the Joe Gunther series. I really enjoyed the lumberyard encounter between team member Willie Kunkle and one of his informants.

Joe Gunther series - When the body of 32-year-old Wayne Castine, "stabbed a bunch of times, and maybe shot and beaten," turns up in an amateur prostitute's apartment in Brattleboro, Vt., Gunther and his team investigate. Evidence suggests Castine, who had a relationship with a colorful trailer park family, was a pedophile or even a psychopath. Meanwhile, new inform...more
Corny
This is one of the better Joe Gunther mysteries featuring the Vermont detective who ventures into Maine and Massachusetts for this adventure. For those who appreciate well drawn characters as opposed to fast action, you will not be disappointed here. Sometimes there is more background than you need or want but on the whole, the members of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation are all interesting and unique characters. Mayor explores some themes not usually seen in mystery novels and of course ther...more
Lynnette Morrison
I think I have read them all. always look forward to the next one.
judy
I love the Joe Gunther series because I am a sucker for Vermont, Maine and small towns. This is the 20th in the series but it missed something for me. Perhaps it was that Joe was so detached from his crew. More likely it was the scuz factor. I really didn't like having to spend so much time with icky characters. Not to worry, fans. The mystery (mysteries) is still solid and moves right along. I liken my reaction to having to eat a brussels sprout in the middle of a favorite dinner. A moment of y...more
Chris
I had to read this book for my mystery book club and I really wasn't that impressed by it. It was too "NCIS" for me where you have these four characters that solve the case together instead of one central person doing it. Then there was 2 mysteries in the book which had no relevance to each other which was frustrating in itself. It would have been nice if Archer Mayor had tied the two mysteries together somehow. I won't be reading the rest of the series I'm afraid.
Scilla
Joe Gunther is investigating the saveage murder of Brattleboro low life, Wayne Castine, when he goes to Maine to help out Lyn, who has found her father and brother were probably murdered. The two investigations are interleaved, and Lyn gets herself into a dangerous situation, trying to follow up on where her father's boat was finally found. Wayne's murder is found to probably have something to do with his being a child preditor.
Marca
Joe Gunther, a continuing character who is a member of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation, searches for the killer of 32-year old male pedophile. Joe also tries to help his girlfriend Lyn Silva find out what happened to her father and brother who vanished from their boat off the New England coast. Not as engaging as other Gunther stories I've read, but still good. Joe is a good, solid character.
Forgot about Joe Gunther for a while, so I got the last 2 books out, not remembering how far I'd read. This one turned out to be a re-read but it brought me back up to speed on the characters. Not one of his best, but the refresh was good for me.
Edie
Police procedural taking place in Vermont and Maine. Good description of scenery and way of life in this part of the country. Bought the book at the Orrs Island library book sale. Definitely worth the $1.00 I paid for it (and more).
Linda
I am a fan of Archer Mayor. I enjoy the local color, being a bit familiar with Brattleboro VT. I have read most all of the Joe Gunther mysteries, and enjoy following his life, as well as the mysteries he solves.
Herzog
I'm a fan of this series, but this was a little strained. The two plot lines stretched the believability of the book. I continue to enjoy the interplay between the characters, especially Joe, Willie and Sam.
Lynne Thomas
What?! Very disappointed with the ending. Actually, I think that the last chapter which should bring the novel to an end, was forgotten! Here's to hoping that the next book brings closure to this one!
Lee-Ann
Reading this book, I want to go visit Vermont and Maine, minus the murderers, of course. Well-written, as usual, and I like Lyn Silva as Joe's girlfriend. Gutsy! She could become a detective.
Bradley
Joe Gunther has too much on his plate in this latest in Mayor's Vermont VBI series. Joe has his hands full and it's a good thing that his crew is as good at what they do as they are.
Burt
Once again Joe Gunther takes care of everyone. He saves his girlfriend and solves the murder with the help of his crew. An entertaining read just like Mayor's other novels.
Barbara
I like the setting (Brattleboro, Vermont) with the addition of a bit of Maine this time, for this series of books but the author seems to be tiring of his people.
Patty
As always, a decent story and great characters. Plus living in New England, most of the places Mayor writes about are placed we have been or travel frequently.
Bob
Another in the Joe Gunther series. Follows 'The Catch', with repercussions from findings in that story carrying over in the personal life of Joe's girlfriend.
Cindy Barnett
Interesting plot, defined characters, ends with the good guys winning and the bad guys losing - my kind of book, except for a bit of foul language.
Paulah
Another great Joe Gunther story. Liked this one much, much more than the story it continues. Willy and Sammy play prominent roles.
Jeff Dickison
Much better than the preceding book, "The Catch", in this series. This one is well paced, exciting, and actually has an ending.
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1)
  • Coeur d'Alene Waters
  • Breach of Duty (J.P. Beaumont, #14)
  • Playing in the Light: A Novel
  • The Missing Year of Juan Salvatierra
  • Or the Bull Kills You
  • Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)
  • The Bridge
  • Last Call for the Living
  • Thieves Like Us
  • The Monster in the Box (Inspector Wexford, #22)
  • Ghosting
  • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
  • The Summer We All Ran Away
  • The Dawn Patrol (Boone Daniels #1)
  • Plum Wine
  • In Her Absence
52067
Over the years, Archer Mayor has been photographer, teacher, historian, scholarly editor, feature writer, travel writer, lab technician, political advance man, medical illustrator, newspaper writer, history researcher, publications consultant, constable, and EMT/firefighter. He is also half Argentine, speaks two languages, and has lived in several countries on two continents.

All of which makes mak...more
More about Archer Mayor...
Open Season (Joe Gunther #1) Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2) The Skeleton's Knee (Joe Gunther #4) Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3) Tag Man (Joe Gunther #22)