Start by marking “Gulch: An Assemblage of Poetry and Prose” as Want to Read:
Gulch: An Assemblage of Poetry and Prose

Gulch: An Assemblage of Poetry and Prose

Inspired by the philosophical theories of Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari, this anthology is a rhizomatic exploration of the current Canadian literary community. Drawing on the postmodern themes of detachment and disjuncture, the book seeks to create an optimistic snapshot of the pluralities and complexities that constitute the post-postmodernism, or “post-pomo,” ...more
Paperback, First, 200 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Tightrope Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Gulch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gulch

Tapanga Koe
Feb 05, 2012 Tapanga Koe rated it really liked it
Shelves: unfinished
Being the conventional sort, I flipped to the first poem and began reading. Being the impatient sort, after that, I skipped ahead to the reason I bought the book -- Ursula Pflug. I read her story, No Woman is an Island, like it was written just for me, then I sat with the well of emotion it had brought on. This collection is going to be a good read, one to pick up, read here and there, and savour.
Also I love, love, love the book's layout!
Ursula Pflug
Apr 09, 2012 Ursula Pflug rated it really liked it
This anthology includes my short story "No Woman Is An Island." Put together by Toronto collective Steel Bananas, and edited by Karen Correia da Silva, Curran Folkers and Sarah Beaudin, it is inspired by the work of rhizomatic theorists Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari, who are quoted thusly:

"The book imitates the world, as art imitates nature: by procedures specific to it that accomplish what nature cannot or can no longer do."

On the back cover they also say:

"It is not a question of this or th
Rob
Oct 11, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it
(8/10) Holy crap I am the FIRST REVIEWER of this book... I feel so influential...

First and foremost Gulch is a great physical artifact, a book whose text runs up and down, sideways, gets tilted and chopped up and is shadowed by giant quotes or page numbers. These changes in format both comment on the text and make the reader deal with the book as a physical object, not as something subordinate to the larger meaning contained within. The actual contents are an "assemblage of poetry and prose" bas
J-Elfasy (Montreal)
Dec 20, 2010 J-Elfasy (Montreal) rated it liked it
Many of the stories and poems found in Gulch are worth reading. But the book’s format, unusual and aggressive, almost hostile, is a definite turn-off in what could otherwise have very well been a pleasant reading experience. As you turn the book upside down and wonder if the editors did this just to tease you, you may be missing out on some interesting fiction. And that’s too bad.

Readers are invited to check out the authors’ mini-self-descriptions found at the end of the book. While some are sim
Nathaniel Moore
Nathaniel Moore rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
S
S rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Tightrope Books
Tightrope Books rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
Heather Babcock
Heather Babcock rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2011
kevin eckhoff
kevin eckhoff marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Karen Correia da Silva is a multidisciplinary artist, researcher, and independent publisher working in media production and academia. She currently straddles the Atlantic, working on projects in Canada and the United Kingdom.
More about Karen Correia da Silva...