Start by marking “Hidden Honor” as Want to Read:
Hidden Honor

Hidden Honor

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Independent and headstrong, Elizabeth of Bredon wants only to become a nun, but her journey to the convent of St. Anne's threatens her choice. It's not the escort of holy friars who tempt her, but the man they are taking to do penance for his many sins. Elizabeth has heard whispers about Prince William's treatment of women--the king's only son is a man well schooled in dec ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Mira Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Honor

Kathleen
Mar 01, 2013 Kathleen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves Anne Stuart
Shelves: romance-historic
I read this about three years ago. Perhaps 3.5 stars. I liked the redemptive theme of this book. The only historical romance I have read by Anne Stuart.

I liked this book well enough, even though it is far from historically sound, and chock full of improbabilities and loose ends (a few, anyway). I guess Stuart isn't too concerned about the incredible power of the medieval church, the sanctity of a monk's vows, and bloody murder. Nah. Why fret over trivialities?

Just let all that go, and enjoy the
Ruth
Fabulous story, fabulous characters. It's a story of guilt, penance and what happens when a cast of characters become caught between two men with very different ideas of what guilt is and what penance is required to atone for it. Like all the Anne Stuarts I've read, the story itself is so rich that the characters just slot in so easily. The book doesn't labor over each individual's physical or emotional attributes. It doesn't need to, and I love that. I also love the medieval setting, which is f ...more
Zeek
I won't synopsize because I'm feeling lazy- just look at the blurb- but immediately, I liked the characters and the setting (medieval- probably my favorite historical setting)of Hidden Honor by Anne Stuart and it quickly became a fast read.

There's a bit of a twist at the very beginning of this tale, but it's not really much of a mystery, as the author chooses to reveal the twist early on.

Anyway, the heroine- Elizabeth- is feisty and, although the author does start off telling rather than showi
Ana T.
I think my last Stuart medieval had actually been the wonderful Lord of Danger, a very long time ago (before blog so I’ll have to reread and review one of these days), and so I was eager to start this one. I liked it, it’s Anne Stuart in the bad boy hero, in the secondary romance, but the end had a lightness that disappointed me a bit, I want those serious, dark feelings she made me look for.
Elizabeth de Bredon is a skinny, redhead young girl who is too smart for her own good. Since her father c
Fani
A classic Anne Stuart romance, though the hero was less dangerous and threatening than her usual type. I really liked it and the feisty heroine (when she wasn't making comments about how good she was in judging men), but the hero was a little too self-procrastinating for my tastes.

A lot of action, adventure, a great secondary romance and some nice characters = entertaintment guaranteed:)
Jane Stewart
This was not a feel good story, partly because I was annoyed at contrived conflicts. It was not well done.

Prince William is a sadist. He beats and kills women. The king sent him to a monastery to be absolved of his crimes to start over. The king has knights escort William to the monastery. For security reasons, the knights and Prince William dress like monks for the trip. Peter is a knight but acts as decoy by pretending to be William. Two women join them - Elizabeth and Joanna. The women eventu
Suzainur K.A.R.
This is the first book I finished in 2012! Let's see how good I am at cataloguing all the stuff I read for this year. *grin*

I have always enjoyed reading Anne Stuart's books; she is a master at crafting stories involving two damaged people and how they survived their adventures to live happily ever after. Hidden Honour explored the choices available to aristocrat women in Middle Ages England as its background. Perhaps their existence was better than serf-dom but they were still repressed with li
Filipa
Gostei deste livro, surpreendeu-me. Não tinha grandes expectativas quanto a ele, mas a história é original dentro do tema e as personagens têm um carácter divertido e é fácil revermo-nos nelas.
É uma história de pecados, perdão, de segundas oportunidades e de amor muito bonita.
Normalmente, nem gosto muito dos livros deste género, mas este foi uma boa surpresa porque é uma história leve com todos os ingredientes para se aproveitar uma boa tarde de leitura.
Elizabeth e Peter fazem um casal excepci
Kathy Anne
Reread
I gave this book 2 stars mostly becuse I can`t stand this heroine,
This book is about Prince William on the trip to the convent for killing a woman while having sex and all the other perverted things he did sexuually.Peter who had tried to kill him once while on a crusade with him pretends to be him so an assasin won`t get him.
Elizabeth who is too tall and skinny(seems Stuart uses these h often)for anyone to love is also going on this trip to become a nun.Keeping her out of the skanky Princ
Blu
This is one of THE BEST historical romances I have read in quite some time. I loved it! The instep cover of the book, featuring the dashingly handsome "Dark Prince" and Elizabeth seductively posed against the trunk of a tree amidst a forest backdrop is only the prelude to one HOT tale.

Elizabeth has been raised in a household of men headed by her father who thinks that women are "useless and stupid". Eager to escape her dreary existence in her father's household and resigned to the fact that no
Elis Madison
Lanky, red-haired, freckled, too-outspoken, unmarriageable Elizabeth of Bredon is headed for the convent. Her ever-loving dad picks the party of Prince William—the bastard son of King John, who under order of the king to go to the Shrine/Convent of St. Anne to atone for the sexual murder of the daughter of another lord.

She knows about William's alleged crimes but she is suicidal drawn to him. And, while she's at it, she thinks sweet-faced Brother Matthew is kinda hawt as well, in a celibate, wa
Rutee
Este é um dos poucos romances históricos que tive o prazer de ler. Sendo esta a minha estreia com a autora.
A história é original com um excelente cenário e as personagens têm um carácter divertido, sendo esta uma história de pecados e perdão.
Devo desde já dizer que não suportei a heroína da história, verificando-se isto na minha nota final ao livro.

De qualquer forma, a heroína-Elizabeth é mal-humorada e, embora a autora não começar a dizer ao invés de nos mostrar o quão inteligente e rebelde que
Julia
Christine
Anne Stuart is one of my favorite authors, so I was expecting to enjoy this book, and I certainly liked it. It has a great plot, a really nasty bad guy, and well-developed supporting characters.

Peter and Elizabeth are wonderful as the H/h, and you are rooting for them the whole way through the book. However, I have a couple of minor quibbles with the story.

The setting is early England, but Elizabeth is a very 21st-century girl, whose very not-early-England attitudes sometimes seem a little out o
Rachel
Nov 29, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: a friend
Shelves: romance
I greatly enjoyed reading this book. It has a variety of characters who all have their own stories. The characters are well thought out and enticing.

The main character is a clever and sassy woman who has been told continuously that she is ugly and dumb by her father and brothers. She has set out to join the convent at a church with a convoy that is also escorting the bastard prince of England to do penance for his sins. The prince has a smile to kill and witty charm to go along with it. These t
Cynthia Berst
Great twists and wonderful characters. I can appreciate an author who ties all the characters story lines by the ending. I don't like to be left wondering what happened to this couple or that! Anne Stuart does an excellent job with both romance and adventure!
Kathy
Dumb, predictable, boring
Nikki
What the heck was that? Ugh, no. Bad all around bad. It should have been adventurous but it wasn't, at all. Dull and dry through out the entire book. Bad hero, dumber heroine. Bad all around.
Isa
I love the girl! So brave and honest, if not a bit confused. The hero was a bit more of a problem, since he was feeling way tho sorry of himself, but he managed just fine. Loved the way he would tease her, so charming! hahaha
Michelle
A good, solid read. I got a little tired of the mistaken identity plot - I felt that Peter could have told Elizabeth who he was a lot sooner than he did. Also, I felt the ending was a bit rushed. Overall I enjoyed it.
Chiio
Elizabeth de monja no tiene nada! y amé totalmente a William/peter me encantó la historia, bueno , la parte romántica, lindo! y joana y adrian, cositas *-*
Maddux
This was an enjoyable read... though it got tiresome hearing how undesirable the heroine was. Over and over.

Otherwise... pretty good.

Frances Fuller
It probably did not deserve a 4, but it has been SO long since I read anything but a 2, once again, need a 10 point system.
Adwina Ralston Cumberbatch
yah begitulah..
heronya kurang wicked mnurut gw
ga berpengalaman diatas ranjang sih
Marianne
Ending too rushed for my taste (I mean the aftermath) but still very good.
Giedre
Rather enjoyable. Then again, not particularly inspired.
  • Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)
  • The Best Man
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Without Words
  • Confessions of a Royal Bridegroom (The Renegade Royals, #2)
  • A Lesson in Temptation (Stanton Family, #4)
  • Too Much (All or Nothing, #1)
  • House of Glass
  • Fade to Black (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #3)
  • Something to Talk About (Plum Orchard, #2)
  • 3
  • Make-Believe Wedding (Montana Born Brides, #9)
  • Breaking The Rules (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #587)
  • A Very Sinful Valentine
  • The Pirate Hunter (Regency Pirates, #2)
  • Lions And Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • Secret Admirer
  • Vencentio (Resistant Omegas, #6)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart...
Black Ice (Ice, #1) Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1) Cold As Ice (Ice, #2) Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2) Ice Blue (Ice, #3)