Start by marking “Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)” as Want to Read:
Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)

Pale Demon (The Hollows #9)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  33,134 ratings  ·  1,578 reviews
Condemned and shunned for black magic, Rachel Morgan has three days to get to the annual witches’ conference and clear her name, or be trapped in the demonic ever-after . . . forever after.

But a witch, an elf, a living vampire, and a pixy in one car going across the country? Talk about a recipe for certain disaster, even without being the targets for assassination.

For afte
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 439 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by Harper Voyager (first published January 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pale Demon, please sign up.

Petr Ježek Hell Yes!! Trust me, you would be very confused otherwise.

Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So I'm pretty sure that I've said thisseveraltimes already, but just in case you missed it---Pale Demonis my FAVORITE book in this series.

Things have been building, and Rachel's life has been getting more complicated, butby the end ofthe last book, it looks like she's finally going to catch a break.

Oliver, the new head of the coven of moral and ethical standards, has verbally agreed to remove Rachel's shunning at the upcoming Witch Convention, as long as she shows up to s
As only Jenks would say: "Sweet mother of Tink." That book is the epitome of superawesomesaucy. The last book had left me somewhat disappointed but this one totally revived all the trill and excitement most of the other books had managed to instill in me.

This was unlike any other book. The entire vibe it gave off. The rich plot. Ugh, absolutely amazing. In case you didn't know, in this one they go on a road trip, Jenks, Ivy, Rachel and and and and Trent. Man, I love Trent, he's incredible and a
Come on Rachel/Trent Lovin'! *fingersXtoesXcrossed*

So now that I have read the book I will say I am super excited about any future books to come. This was one of the best books in the series by far. The beginning car trip was a bit of a snore but quickly progressed in to an action packed, emotionally charged story rife with reveals that were (hopefully) meant to stir up the future of this series!
So many things happened that could change the direction of almost all the characters...its m
is mee... kissa
wow. oh wow.
i finished it. And it Blew. My. Mind!
Harrison's been saying that this is her favourite one so far and I so get why.

Pale Demon pretty much starts out with a road trip. At this point, there's not much going on, but it quickly turns into action-packed fun. The trip goes on for about half of the book. Who knew a long drive could be so fun? definitely not me. They get attacked and find a day walking demon. A day walking demon. You don't think it's enough? Fine! There's heaaaaaaaps more.
Jan 27, 2014 VampireNovelFan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hollows and Rachel Morgan Fans
Well, I’ve Got a New Favorite! Harrison’s better than ever!

About two years ago, Ms. Harrison teased her blog followers about an upcoming book involving Rachel, Trent, and Jenks on a road trip out west. Fast forward to now, as Book 9 has finally been released. If you follow Ms. Harrison, you know that she touts this particular book as her favorite of the series. As a fan since 2005, I can say it's without a doubt my new favorite as well. It took six books, but Book 3 has finally been overtaken.
Belinda Boring
I let out an almighty squeal of excitement when I got my hands on this book. I have been hopelessly addicted to this series from page one of Dead Witch Walking. There’s always the worry in the back of readers minds that the more books there are in a series, the harder the author has to work for it to still pack a powerful punch. Pale Demon is book nine in the series and BY FAR is THE MOST incredible of them all. Please excuse the GUSHFEST you are about to witness. I’d suggest maybe sitting back ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I'm going to preface this review by saying that if I hadn't read interviews and blog posts about this and future books then I would've awarded more stars. Perhaps I'll calm down later and see the light but for now, I'm a bull pawing the sand with my head lowered snorting in anger and frustration despite the fact that I quite enjoyed this book. It's where we go from now that troubles me.

The first half was slow with only a couple of blood-pumping action scenes. The road trip itself, although givin
Mrs. Badass
Quick review:
Grade: B

Rachel finally grows up. Her and Trent finally have a "moment". I actually like Al. The demon world is pretty darn cool, so was Dali's restaurant and making a new selection for the Juke Box. Newt made me laugh, Ivy finally realizes her and Rachel are a No Go. Jenks gets put out to STUD, BIS is the most awesome little gargoyle EVER {I want a gargoyle!} The coven sucks, I don't really care about Pierce, and where he might be right now at the end of Pale Demon. Speaking of the
Holy cow. What a book. Up, down, left, right, inside out. I feel pulled in a million different directions, beat up, put back together, and ripped apart again.

Poor Rachel. She goes through more and more hell!!!
In defense of Rachel Morgan/The Hollows:

Why write a decent review for Pale Demon? By book nine of Kim Harrison’s The Hollows series critics have left if far behind, while fans will appreciate the solid story which delivers a lot of action, and even a little character development from Rachel. What can I say? Despite her flaws, Rachel is my favorite UF heroine. I also love the supporting characters ~ vampire Ivy, pixie Jenks, demon Al and so many others. Kim Harrison has created an amazing and com
Best installment yet!

"Pale Demon"
is the ninth installment in the Hollows series by the amazing, Kim Harrison.
If your a fan of The Hollows series already, then this was a must read for you. If your like me, then you were begging for this installment since you finished "BMS" and ofcourse after reading this I can happily say, it's my favorite of the series. Yes, there were more emotionally written intstallments in this series, but this was just too good to be true. Only bad thing is, the next one
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Ah there it is, I can not stop myself from reading the whole series and I finally ordered all the remaining volumes which will allow me to read them the ones after the others. By cons it is true that I am very anxious to see the end coming as it means that I’ll have to leave Rachel behind soon. Yes I know I still have a few volumes, but it will arrive anyway.

The conclusion of my reading? I loved this volume! It was just awesome and I had a great time with the
Fiction Fool
Rating: ( )
(WARNING: Spoilers present for anyone who has not read the previous books in this series!!!)
Ivy looked at Trent through the rearview mirror. "You stink."
I looked over the seat, wincing at the sight of his blood-soaked shirt-sleeve and the wad of red tissue he had pressed against his ear again. "Sorry," he said sourly. "Didn't mean to offend."
"You're not offensive," she said shortly. "You're turning me on. Get out. Clean up."

I waited, rather impatiently, I might add, for the rele
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
When I started these books, I liked them, but I didn't love them. Then, I think it was A Fistful of Charms and For a Few Demons More that I really started to enjoy the series and felt fully committed. Then, for a couple books, I felt they were okay, but just okay. Not a fan of the banshee book, White Witch, Black Curse, but then I read Black Magic Sanction and I LOVED it, LOVED it! But THEN, I just finished Pale Demon and Kim Harrison has now been solidified as genius in my book.

This may be one

This is a complicated book to review. Not because it wasn't well-done - I think it was an extremely well-written book, and will rank way up there as my favorite in the series.

No, this is complicated because my feelings regarding the character arcs are complicated.

Let's start with Rachel.

I was thrilled - THRILLLED - to see her develop a spine in this book. Let me clarify what I mean. Rachel is a good guy. She has helped bad people on more than one occasion, simply because she feels firmly th
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Whew! I'm so excited about this book, there are no words to express it! It is my new favorite in the series!!!!! I did struggle just a bit with the last book, and this one took all the loose ends and made sense of everything!

It was action packed, so much happened, so much changed, and then changed again, and again! We got to see a new side to some of our favorite characters, were able to really understand others.

It also has plenty of romance, considering Rachel's love life is such a complicated
Deea (Andreea)
*Re-read July 2015*

Just as spectacular as the first time - and second time, or however many times - I read it! Or maybe even more so, now that I could just sit back and read at a slower pace, enjoying the ride and reading through the lines, looking for the hidden clues and subtle messages. And being closer to the end of the series now, I could see certain things in a different light and what a game changer this book was for the entire story. Like I said in my initial review, I loved how all my f

A strong instalment to the series: Rachel "only" has a reasonable amount of tstl moments in it. Understandable, due to what she goes through in this..."episode" _ a lot, as usual .

This is the most chaotic series that I've ever read: There's a witch, that may turn out to be an actual demon..but she doesn't want to be a demon.
She wants what she's had her entire life...if only people would leave her alone!

But now in her life there's a living vampire, a family of noisy pixies _ with the occasiona
Pale Demon is book 9 in The Hollows series by Kim Harrison and all I can say is, if you have come this far, why stop now. Harrison has said that the series will roughly end with books 12-13, so though this book wrapped up some major storylines, I think a wonderful setup has happened and this is going to upset many readers. Not that I want to discourage anyone form reading this, but Rachel hooking up with a particular character has probably been at the top of many devoted reader lists. But not at ...more

While reading this book I was (all the time!) like this...

You can see the following review also here:

BEST BOOK IN THE SERIES! I know it’s hard to believe but this series, after so many books it’s getting better and better! Fast-paced and with great suspense from the first page until the last, this book has it all! Road trip (from Hell, I may add!), too many demons, bad and good witches, unexpected events and surprises that will leave you speech
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I might as well just say it. I loved this book. Loved. Loved. Loved this book. I read somewhere that this has been Kim Harrison's favorite book in the Hollows series so far and I can see why. I left feeling exhilarated --like absolutely anything could happen next. That is no small feat for the 9th book in a series; it would be so easy to let things to get stale.

Where do I begin? Well, begrudgingly, I can say I wasn't in love with the beginning of the book. As advertised, Rachel is taking a road
Oh what a fabulous read. Dear Writers of Young Adult Trilogies/Series, please take notes. THIS is how you write an installment in a series/trilogy. So I took an unplanned year off reading The Hollows series. I don’t know why I didn’t. I think I just got distracted reading too many other books to give attention to what remains after 10 books my favourite urban series ever. Kim Harrison’s YA series? Does not hold a handle to her adult series. I’ve been waiting for this novel ever since I found out ...more
Pale demon is the 9th book in the Hollows series and its still as enjoyable as earlier books.
I usually find after a few books in a series that the main character becomes unbearable, and while Rachel isn't the easiest character to like, for some reason I still find her likeable even when she's being an idiot. I like the fact that nothing comes easily to her, she has to fight for everything and yes, most of her troubles only get solved through sheer dumb luck but I kind of like Rachel just blindly
Shock and Awe!

I have said this before – I am not a diehard fan of The Hollows series. That is no longer true – I am soooooo in love with the world of Rachael Morgan! This book blew my mind. This installment reminded me of a beach after a hurricane – there is chaos on the shore but the ocean sits calmly while saying loud and clear -- “Do Not Underestimate Me”. I grew up on the ocean and can tell you, the day after a big storm you are humbled.

All the characters were scattered along the shore by t
Rachel's road trip to hell (or the ever-after) is thrilling, funny, touching and irritating. The story begins a bit slowly, and gains momentum, until you just can't put it down.

Trent's tight-lipped secretiveness was the most irritating aspect, and it made me want to reach in the book and shake him! However, it was also fascinating to learn more about him, and see him up close and personal throughout the story. That was one of the reasons I loved this book, those close-up glimpses in their chara
Duchess Nicole

Now, I've never really disliked any of this series, or I'd never have continued reading. But I've never been truly gaga over it like some either. Until this book. What a multifaceted, much anticipated story that takes place in Pale Demon!!

Rachel is on her way across the country to attend her brother's wedding. But her fellow road trippers not only include Jenks and Ivy (always trouble with those three) but also.....T
Pale Demon
I’ve missed Rachel, Ivy, Jenks, and the rest of the Hollows gang. I don’t know why I kept putting off reading this book. The Hollows was one of the first urban fantasy series that I read and enjoyed. In fact, it is one of the series that made me a huge urban fantasy fan.

In Pale Demon, Rachel and the gang are on a road trip from Cincinnati to San Francisco for Rachel’s meeting with the coven and her brother Robbie’s wedding.

Road trip. Can you imagine a road trip with a witch, a vampire
SPOILER ALERT: Before I dive into my review, please be advised that this review is going to be almost all spoilers. If you have not read the book, it might be a good idea to stop here.

Alright, then. So, this book. I think it's fair to note that I got Kim Harrison's entire Hollows series in soft-copy on my Nook, so I basically read the entire series (up to the latest book) back to back to back.

I wish I hadn't. Because doing so, really brought how terrible this book was into sharp focus. Most re
By far the strongest book of the series so far. I have enjoyed this series so far, but this book really brought something extra to the series. I hope the last few continue the trend.

What species from the Hollows series would you want to be and why? 17 79 Dec 16, 2014 03:22PM
Favourite character and why? 22 109 Dec 16, 2014 03:21PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Rachel, you never had a choice 41 221 Feb 26, 2014 11:29AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Even Al shows his softer side 30 166 Feb 18, 2014 02:26PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: The joys of going off plot or, "Trent's a daddy!" 80 213 Feb 18, 2014 09:20AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Drive through the empty places 38 176 Feb 16, 2014 08:00AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Ivy says good-bye 15 135 Feb 16, 2014 07:48AM
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Burn the Night (Dark Days, #6)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)

“Growing up is hard, love. Otherwise everyone would do it.” 260 likes
“Face it, you stupid little cookie maker,” Jenks said, almost sounding fond, “in the last couple of days you’ve seen what it’s like to be in a family, with all the touchy tempers and irritation that goes on. Now you get to see the other side, where we do stupid stuff for each other just because we like you. Rache is the little sister. Ivy’s the big sister. I’m the uncle from out of state, and you’re the rich nephew no one likes but we put up with you anyway because we feel sorry for you. Just let me help, huh? It won’t kill you.” 168 likes