The Unimaginable Mathematics of Borges' Library of Babel

The Unimaginable Mathematics of Borges' Library of Babel

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  16 reviews

"The Library of Babel" is arguably Jorge Luis Borges' best known story—memorialized along with Borges on an Argentine postage stamp. Now, in The Unimaginable Mathematics of Borges' Library of Babel, William Goldbloom Bloch takes readers on a fascinating tour of the mathematical ideas hidden within one of the classic works of modern literature.

Written in the vein of Douglas

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about The Unimaginable Mathematics of Borges' Library of Babel

Paul
Feb 17, 2013 Paul marked it as assorted-rants-about-stuff  ·  review of another edition
Book shelf enlargement is an issue that many men consider at some point during their lives. It is not uncommon for men to feel embarrassed or anxious about the size of their book shelves, from a young age all the way through life. The ladies do not like to see books stacked in corners of rooms, unsightly and hap-hazard. Fortunately, for the many men between the ages of 18-80 who are looking to add inches to their book shelves, there are a number of shelf enlargement products and treatments out...more
Kane Faucher
The author does a very good job of explaining some of the mathematics that are implied from Borges' short story, and thus uses this as a generative point. The section on the manifold may be a bit confusing for many (although the author does give his frequent "advisories"). Perhaps a little too much time is spent in the beginning making qualifying comments / apologies when they may not be necessary. In my view, there were a few other avenues the author could have explored, but that is hardly cons...more
Parker
A clear and straightforward explanation (for laypeople) of the complex and high-level math implicated in Borges' classic short story, "The Library of Babel." Though the story is just a few pages long--a fabulous translation, much better than the one I had previously read, is included in the beginning of this text--it raises questions from all different fields of mathematics, relating to the vastly huge number of books, the possible shape of the Library, and the textual combinations that might ap...more
Jonathan
This book is *awesome*! Why? The author takes a short story, "The Library of Babel," by Jorge Luis Borges and analyzes it along many different mathematical dimensions. The results are stimulating and accessible to non-mathematicians. The story is about a library, which is composed of:

An indefinite number of ... hexagonal galleries. In the center of each gallery is a ventilation shaft, bounded by a low railing. ... Twenty bookshelves ... line four of the hexagon's six sides... One of the hexagon'
Christopher
Of all the short stories in Argentinian writer Jorge Luis Borges' masterpiece collection FICCIONES, "The Library of Babel" is one of the most peculiar. This weary narration by an aged caretaker of a library of seemingly infinite expanse involves several exotic mathematical principles, yet ones fairly easily graspable by the layman. The mathematician Bloch has written a fine book about all the thought-provoking concepts in Borges' story.

The complete text of "The Library of Babel" is included here...more
Therese Arkenberg
Written by a talented creative writer, Borges fan, and mathematician--and any one of those on its own could be a full recommendation--this book delves into the mind-blowing implications of a short story that is already staggering in its implications of scale.
If you have the slightest interest in mathematics, Borges, or glimpsing infinity, I'd suggest you track this one down through a library system at once. I don't think there's another book like it in the world. It's such an unusual that I can...more
Gill
“Bloch is not only a mathematician, he's also a critic who has reviewed a lot of the literature on the Library of Babel and the life of Borges. So there is a lot in the book besides working out some of the mathematical implications of Borges' inspirations.

If you got as far as calculus in your math studies then you can probably follow most of the math without too much trouble. If you are a fan of Borges, there is a lot here about his math background and interests that you probably didn't know an...more
Austin Savill
This book is well written and shows many aspects of infinity as well as explaining much of what infinity means and how we can view or believe some things to be infinite. It explains the passage very well and analyzes many of the arguments of how Borgues conveys this library. I enjoyed it thoroughly but don't think many others would unless they enjoy math or explanations of philosophical concepts.
Jafar
The Library of Babel is the best example of how Borges brilliantly weaved mathematical ideas into his fiction. This book explores some of the mathematical implications of this ingenious short story. Bloch has a great eye for spotting hidden idea in the story and then expanding upon them. The best was using the Library as a universal Turing machine.
Joegjoeg
Great book about the maths behind trying to make a library of every book that could ever be written. My favorite part of the book is in the preface when the authors asks "who is the intended audience for this work" and answers his question "Of the more than 6 billion people who are not Umberto Eco, I imagine that those who'd find this work appealing are..."
Eoin
Aug 31, 2008 Eoin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Borgesean Mathematicians
Ok, so I'm an easy mark for this book. I was concerned that this would be insufficiently mathy or literary or both, but it is a careful balance of readablity and high concept math. What the title promises, the book delivers.
Chris Brownell
also a very fun read. I actually only read the first part on the Mathematics of the library and not the literary analysis of the story so far.
Stephen
Fantastic, non-trivial analysis of Borges' story, comes complete with topology, combinatorics out the wazoo, with just a hint of non-linear dynamics.
Jon Gauthier
Jun 26, 2012 Jon Gauthier rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Casual math geeks
Shelves: math
Very accessible; written in a lively and exciting tone that I wish were more common in this genre!
Lane Wilkinson
I just pulled this off the shelf. Reading just the first page makes me feel like Umberto Eco.
Thomas Fackler
A concise exposition of the mathematics we can employ to orient ourselves in The Library.
Apfelgarth
Apfelgarth marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Adam Wunker
Adam Wunker is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Darcey
Darcey is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Oldecat
Oldecat marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Leonard
Leonard marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jberends
Jberends marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Thomas
Thomas added it
Aug 18, 2014
Seyi Ogunyemi
Seyi Ogunyemi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014