Car Wash (Car Wash, #1)

Car Wash (Car Wash #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Kevin Flaherty's life really sucks. He's already been laid off from his job, compelled to sell his motorcycle, and now faces eviction from his apartment. Things can hardly get worse. Now, forced to work a low-paying job at a car wash and barely surviving, Kevin is too embarrassed to even tell his friends.

Hotshot lawyer, Michael Bennett, comes into the car wash to have his

Published August 19th 2009 by Amber Quill Press, LLC (first published June 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Car Wash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Car Wash

Daisiemae
There isn’t much I can say about Car Wash by Shawn Lane that hasn’t already been said. Shayne was very eloquent with his review, and Ava (who evidentially doesn’t write fast enough) and Sandy all wrote awesome reviews! So I decided not to repeat what has already been said, and instead tell you what I thought about this story.

Here’s what I have been dying to say for over a week…I LOVED THIS BOOK! First of all, Kevin is one of the most enchanting heroes I have read about in a long time. There is s...more
Shayne
Jun 10, 2009 Shayne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Love Shawn's other books
Recommended to Shayne by: She is an automatic buy for us
I am no good at writing reviews. I think I have stated before that I really don’t have any desire to write them. I enjoy reading them too much, plus that is what I keep Jack around for! LOL!

Once in a while I’ll read something that I thoroughly enjoy, and I want to share my pleasure with my friends. Car Wash was one of those books. I am not going to get into the storyline. Our dear friend who needs to write faster, Ava March and our sweet friend Sandy, did such an excellent job, there is no reaso...more
Ava
Kevin is having a hard time keeping up his usual perky disposition - laid off, riding the bus because he was forced to sell his motorcycle, behind on his rent, and now working at a car wash. Too embarassed, he hides his troubles from his friends. To make matters worse, his slimy boss starts hitting on him. It's sure hard to smile when everyhing seems to be going downhill in his life, but then Michael Bennett shows up at the car wash to have his Maserati cleaned.

Handsome, wealthy and now a succe...more
Maggie
This book is a desert island keeper for me. I simply fell in love with Kevin. He is one of my all time favorite heroes. I immediately reread Car Wash after I finished it, I didn't want to let Kevin go! Since I read it a couple of weeks ago, it has continued to be one of my books I fall back to when I want to read a fantastic love story with a more than memorable hero.
Mahlet
Jun 20, 2009 Mahlet rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who already love well-written m/m erotic romance, and those who want to try it!
OOOoooh, this was so good! The aesthetics of reading off my pc has delayed my plunge into m/m e-books. But after reading Car Wash reviews from friends, and friends of friends *grin*, I couldn’t wait any longer and I’m glad I took the leap with this very HOT HOT HOT and sweet love story!

I was drawn in by page 2! Recently laid off from his office job, Kevin is just arriving to his job at the car wash. He's behind in rent, his creepy manager keeps leering at him, and he's counting on the days tips...more
Sandy
I loved this book. I loved Kevin in Pulling Away and was so glad to see him get his own book.

As a teenager, Kevin, had a big time crush on his best friend's hot gay brother, Michael, but when Kevin tried to get Michael to notice him, Michael rightly rejected Kevin as too young.

Years later they meet again when Kevin is broke and barely surviving working at a car wash. They end up getting together and building a relationship.

If you are expecting a big, complicated plot you won't find it here. It's...more
DarienMoya
^^MY MAIN MAN KEV!^^

So I was really excited to read this one, after meeting Kevin in Pulling Away. I thought this dude has got to have his own story and thankfully Shawn Lane gave it to him.

So Kevin is pretty much out there, he is here and he is queer and he effin rocks. We know him as the fun loving, joking and super confident guy, but Mr Kev is hiding some serious issues. Like he lost his job, he might end up homeless and he has no idea how he is gonna feed himself. To make matters worst, he...more
Natsroshan
I really like Shawn's writing and her characters are really sweet and sexy. And characters are the ones that make me fly, even more than the story itself.

Unfortunately, in this one, i did not felt it. I couldn't connect with them at all.
Sidda Lee
Jul 01, 2009 Sidda Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all m/m romance lovers
Recommended to Sidda Lee by: Shayne
i loved kevin. i wish there were more heroes like him. this may be one of my all time favorite books. a definate desert island keeper for me!
Heller
A cute, angsty piece.

Kevin has lost his job, his vehicle, he's on the verge of eviction and he's hiding his problems from his friends.

Michael is a well off divorce attorney who happens to be the first crush that Kevin ever had. He's the older brother of Kevin's former best friend and he rejected a younger Kevin back in the day.

They reconnect at the car wash where Kevin is working. Lots of sweet, sexy moments here and series of freebies set after that continue their story. Fun and fluff.

Kevin'...more
Lily
3.5 out of 5 stars

Kevin is going through some really hard times. He's lost his good job, had to sell his motorcycle and now works at a car wash without good prospects for the future. One day he's shocked to see Michael, his first teenage crush, waiting in line. They quickly get together and just as they are working towards a happy future Michael starts to take charge of Kevin's life. This doesn't sit well with him since he hates the fact that he's poor and that Michael has money and thinks he ca...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
More like 2.5 stars. This was an adequate little m/m short, but it kind of left me wanting. And not in that "Ooh, I wish it could go on forever" way. In that "I wish this had been more satisfying" way - like when you really want a good burger but you end up at McDonald's?

This was a cute m/m romance between Kevin, who has recently been laid off and is working at a carwash, struggling to pay for food and recently evicted from his apartment, and Michael, a super rich divorce lawyer who rejected Kev...more
Brenda (b)
This book was wonderful. Kevin was adorable and I wanted him to find love and happiness so much. I liked Michael and was glad he was able to make things work out for them.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5
Sweet read about down on his luck Kevin ( definitely Cinderfella) and rich, successful attorney Michael.
The insta love/lust is explained that 9 years ago 15 year old Kevin had an unrequited crush on the then 21 year old Michael.
It's nothing new, but it was a nice, cute read.
The one thing that bugged me was Michael calling Kevin a brat, I know it was in fun and in a loving way, but it just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.
Deeze
A straight forward story about Kevin meeting up with his childhood crush. The attraction is instant, theres a slight hiccup along the way, but everything works out in the end. A feel good story for when you need something light and fluffy.
Erotic Horizon
Kevin Flaherty is at a phase of his life that he would never wish on his worst enemy. Forced to work in a Car Wash in order for the bills to be paid and as of this afternoon – put in a position where the boss his starting to look at him funny, he is also not ready to face the nemesis of his past - Michael Bennett.

Michael is the proverbial crush next door that more or less turned Kevin down in his track when he made a play for him years ago. Let just say Kevin didn’t take it too well and now year...more
Zaa
Life is so suck for Kevin. Sepertinya tak ada hal bagus yg menghampiri hidupnya. Dari pendapatan yg begitu minim (bekerja di tempat pencucian Mobil), ditambah bos nya setiap saat bisa menelannya mentah2 karena begitu ingin menidurinya. Saat itulah Michael Bennet, pria impian yg pernah menolaknya 9 tahun lalu tiba2 hadir kembali & mengubah segala keadaan. Satu sisi Kevin bahagia karena cintanya bersambut namun satu sisi dia merasa terkekang karena Michael begitu bersikap dominan diluar ranjan...more
Camille
Extremely compressed, lightening fast 'relationship', shoddy sex, inordinate Cinderella rescue, happily ever after.

That said, I really like Cinderfella stories and this one was sweet.
Elisa Ramblings
Very nice Cinderfella story, Kevin is a 24 years old pretty boy who is having a downtime; laid off from his job, almost starving and with a rent to pay he has no money for, he accepted a car wash job, but also there, troubles are arriving. And then a knight in shining armour comes to rescue, only that instead of an armour he has a very expensive suit and instead of a stallion he is driving a Maserati. And he is not even a stranger, Michael was the Kevin’s best friend’s older brother, the one Kev...more
Shannon
This was a super cute story and I just loved Kevin. Liked Michael well enough but not like the adorable Kevin. Definitely a Cinderella story. Michael pulls up in his Maseratti and sweeps Kevin off his feet. Doesn't hurt that Kevin had a crush on him when he was 15. A couple of ups and downs but of course it all worked out.
Alina
Very nice Cinderella-type story. I felt for Kevin and his misfortunes and I loved prince Charming Michael. Kevin's frustration with Michael's overprotectiveness was understandable, though I myself would just shut up and be grateful xD Glad it all worked out to very sweet and satisfying HEA :)
Chris
Pretty good m/m romance about Kevin, who’s working at a car wash after getting laid off from his office job. I must admit that I got a bit frustrated at Kevin not standing up for himself.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I liked the story but didn't feel the characters connection. The one MC was cute and sweet the other was just absurdly bossy and controlling.
Sophie
Jun 19, 2009 Sophie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sophie by: Daisiemae
I fell in love with Kevin. This is my favorite book by this author so far!
Fernanda Parente
Wow I'm in love with Kevin... he's so cute... great story
Bee
What I’m reading right now is kind of dark and heavy, so I wanted a little break from that and I figured I’d read something light and fun in between. This was light, yes. Fun? Not particularly.

Kevin Flaherty has been laid off his old job, and now he’s struggling on minimum wage at a carwash, with a boss that is creepy and a paycheck that doesn’t even cover rent…let alone food. He’s had to make a lot of sacrifices, and still he can’t keep things together. One day as he comes home he spots an evi...more
Candice
Sorry, this just didn't work for me. Sure, it was cute and light, but it lacked something.

Kevin is down on his luck. Lost his job, eviction notice on his apartment, no cell phone, had to sell his motorcycle, and is now currently working at a creepy car wash for minimum wage.

In comes his old teenage crush, Michael Bennett, in his "bordeaux" Maserati to the car wash Kevin works at. I really liked smartass Kevin "still breaking up relationships, huh".

What I didn't like and I think one of the main...more
Charly
Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- The characters are nice (as in ‘pleasant to read about,’ not ‘kind, considerate, generous, etc.’--see cons below). Particularly admirable to me is that Michael has a real flaw in his character/past that he isn’t proud of but which he admits to unhesitatingly.
- I like how realistic the reunion of Kevin and Danny (Michael’s younger brother and Kevin’s former best friend) is. I was worried that the two guys...more
Sadonna
I liked this story. It was nothing earth-shattering, but I liked Kevin and Michael. Kevin is a bit of a lost soul and he's pretty down on his luck when his teenage crush comes charging in - not on a white horse, but in a red Maserati! Michael recognizes him right away and invites him to dinner. He rejected Kevin when he was 15 and Michael was 21 and Kevin has never really gotten over that. He is of course still attracted to Michael and he's a little bit stunned that Michael would want him since...more
Lucy
Strong 3 stars.
Liked the story but the characters, I didn't feel them as much I would have liked to have. I don't know why, it just didn't happen for me.
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Second Sight
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Letting In the Light
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Hunger (Chicken Ranch, #1)
  • Eros Rising
  • Roughstock: And a Smile- Season One (Roughstock, #3)
  • Pets, Book 1: Sparking
  • Forbidden Freshman (Campus Cravings, #5)
  • Convincing Arthur (Convincing, #1)
  • Heaven Sent 2 (Heaven Sent, #3 & #4)
Shawn Lane writes gay erotic romances. She is published with Amber Quill, Silver Publishing, Ellora's Cave and Dreamspinner Press. She lives in Southern California and the majority of her books are set in California.
More about Shawn Lane...
At Long Last (Scott and Preston, #1) Perfect Man Trust Most Likely To Succeed Pulling Away (Pulling Away, #1)