Start by marking “Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls” as Want to Read:
Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls

Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  32 reviews
It’s the late 1980s—hair is big, Lycra is rampant, and supermodels rule the earth. Every girl in America dreams of becoming the next Cindy, Claudia, or Naomi, and seventeen-year-old Emily Woods is no different. She looks different, though—striking enough to start a career. Despite the protestations of her hippie parents, she plunges into the glamorous but grueling world of ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Broadway Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Model Student, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Model Student

Emily
Aug 09, 2007 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8th grade girls
The main character is named Emily, is from Wisconsin, and moves to New York City to go to college and pursue a modeling career. I was hoping for some real steamy, decadent, cat-fighting, coke-snorting, maid-slapping action, but this is a pretty tame tale of the seedy world of modeling. Sure there is some drug use, an affair with a married photographer and the requisite dieting drama but in this world of cracked-out celebs and over-the-top bad girls it's just not enough. The reading is fast, but ...more
Anna
I thought I would have enjoyed this, but it instead recalled what could be so bland about the 80s--supermodels and the girls who wanna be them. The novel wasn't totally cliched though and was probably based on the author's own working days as a model and college student. And the reader will recoil from some of the sleaziness of the industry, the mindless want and consumption of expensive designer clothes, and naked ambition. Wish I had read "The Devil Wears Prada" instead.
Brittany
I hated this book. The book dragged on and on (it was entirely too long) was about nothing really and wasn't well written. I only finished it because I hate stopping books, once I've started.
Hilary
It was an interesting look at the model industry. It read like a memoir, though it wasn't (or, ostensibly wasn't). I feel like I learned a lot about both the upsides and downsides of modeling.
Tara
This is a dumb book.
CS
Midwestocean
For a book that should be a light read, ‘Model Student’ does a good job being informative and serious. Even if you aren’t into modeling/fashion tales you still might enjoy this book. Unlike the Cinderella theme the title implies, ‘Model’ is far from a fairytale. Obviously semi-autobiographical by first time novelist Robin Hazelwood, ‘Model’ is more about the dark side of the profession than about all the glamour starry-eyed teens would hope for.

Emily Woods is one of those starry-eyed teens fro
Jenny
Feb 13, 2008 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the fashion and modeling industries
This book was a throwaway from my little sister, who couldn't finish it. I actually loved it - I couldn't put it down! There are several reasons for that.

First of all, it's written by a former model and it gives a great insider's look at the fashion and modeling industries. I LOVED reading about that; I mean, she even included beauty tricks that the models and designers use (it's in the narrative, not a separate section)! The beautiful is complemented by the ugly (cocaine and double-timing mode
Denise
There's not much to say about this book -- in between four letter words and lines of coke, there's a story here about a nice midwestern girl who becomes a model in the late 80s, the time of the supermodel. She goes down all the wrong, but predictable, paths, and completely sells out, but in the end she quits the business and gets a real life, finishing her degree at Columbia. The sad thing is, the book is written by a woman who was a model in the 80s and 90s, and who graduated from Yale. Somethi ...more
Allison Herman
I was reading a much more serious book and decided I needed something a little lighter for the summer. This book did the trick!

It's the story of Emily, a young girl just starting out in the modeling business. She is also new to the college scene as a freshman at Columbia. Emily has to figure out how to juggle both things that she loves - education and her burgeoning career. Will one trump the other? Will she get swept up in a scene she's not sure of? Will she find a boyfriend in the process?

Just
Christina Mucha
I loved this book! I found it a dollar store. $1 well spent! What I loved about this book was how much I could relate to it. It focuses on a girl in college like me. The similarites pretty much end there but it was a great story. I feel that there are few great stories that have realistic college students as main characters. Even though she is dealing with a modeling career, she is also dealing with finals and frat parties. This book really examines the pressure that a lot of college students fe ...more
Tracy
Really addictive; Once you get past the first 50 pages or so, it becomes very hard to put this book down.
Stephanie A.
I always have a hard time finding fiction above YA that engages or appeals to me. This one did that, absolutely. I feel like I sh/could have issues with some of its slightly more adult themes, but they were minor and eclipsed by the fast-paced fun. It ended up being a little darker than expected, but dark in ways that are fun to read, like screaming catalog photographers and drugs and the pressure to do racy shoots (told in a way that actually shows you why someone would succumb to the pressure ...more
Elise Gennrich
Overall, this book was not well written and I ended up having to put it down halfway. Between the overuse of swearing and drug use, I couldn't continue to let myself read such depressing literature. This would be a good book for the beach or somewhere that you don't need much concentration for, as the plot wasn't well formed and was just not interesting. As a writer, I learned that it's better to appeal to a wider audience and cut down the negative swearing and drug references than it is to appe ...more
Rabbit {it's Nano time!}
Alright, I got a confession to make, top model shows are my guilty pleasure, and since megaupload is no longer, and I am currently not watching ANTM re-runs I am living vicariously through books. I do not understand this, and as a feminist, the shows annoy me but it is so entertaining. Move aside Jersey Shore give me my model drama. Ahem.

This is a pretty good book filled with drugs, sex scandals, and delicious model drama. Time well wasted. :D

I need to find more model books stat! Feel free to re
stephanie
for some reason, i have a first edition signed copy of this book. i imagine it's because i got seduced at b&n.

anyway, it's the story of a girl who tries to balance modeling and being a student at columbia (which is of course what suckered me in) and it's pretty formulaic. i mean, if you've seen an episode of america's next top model, you pretty much have read this book. however, the ending deserves merit, and is why it gets three stars instead of less.

plus it's a first novel. maybe she'll
Kelly McCloskey-Romero
This book held my interest, with it's easy narrative tone and the voyeuristic insights into the world of modeling. The main character. Emily, who's trying to straddle the worlds of top modeling with the ivy league, is likable, and she manages to dabble in eating disorders, drugs, exploitation, and shallowness without being fully taken over by any of them. When I closed the book, though, I felt like I'd eaten an air sandwich on fluffy bread. Was there any there there?
Meaghan
interesting behind the scenes of one girl's rise and fall in the competitive world of fashion modeling
Felisa Rosa
A thinly veiled memoir of a girl who modelled in the 80's while attending an Ivy League school, this book suffers from the flaw of many thinly veiled memoirs: there are a number of half fleshed out characters who seem to only be included as 'nods' to the real person in the author's life.
That said, it's actually decently well written for a book of its kind, and the author/main character seems too snarkily intelligent for her end goal. I read it at a feverish pace.
Jessica
I loved this insider's look at the modeling industry in the 90s (the author was a model, so I'm guessing most of the book was pretty autobiographical). The main character was very likable- a pretty, friendly, smart, hard-working girl from the mid-west who is going to school at Columbia while maintaining a very impressive modeling career. There were lots of ups and downs during a few years of this girl's life, and through it all I was hooked. A fun, light read.
Susan Bazzett-griffith
I enjoyed this story-- loved the 80s references to Duran Duran and big hair and the crazy adventures of Emily Woods. The narrator was likable and interesting, if sometimes obnoxiously self-absorbed (probably no moreso than the typical 18-21 year old), and Robin Hazelwood was able to realistically portray her experiences and struggles. The story was a bit formulaic and predictable, but other than that, it was a very fun novel.
Paula
I bought this for the beach and read it on beach and it was extremely entertaining for the beach. About par for this type of book. It is a pretty accurate depiction of the industry from the viewpoint of one of its less "super" models. This book takes the glamor off an industry that--even when showing its skeletons--is way too glamorized. It's a refreshing look and still fun enough for the beach.
Katie Cooper
Meh. I do like reading about the glamorous life, but this story seemed kind of all over the place. It took a while to get through, mostly because it just wasn't a page turner. It was fun to read, but not awesome.
Missy
Fun to read at the gym, but not much substance. The plot also jumped without warning so I often had to look back and remind myself who the various characters were.
Shannon Reed
A fun read, but the ending is ambiguous in a cop-outty way and I didn't think the author quite carried off the (admittedly very tricky) narrator's perspective.
Ashley
while slow at parts, it was a pretty good read. Been meaning to read it for years now, happy I spotted it at Hastings on the used shelf for 4.99!
Ambrosia
Realistic and Fun.I really liked it, the character was very expressive.
Cassie
A small peek inside the life of a model.. Very good book. =]
Tania Salter
Terrible, set in the 80's and full of cliches
Julia Melgreen
definitely an easy summer read. Predictable.
  • A Model Summer
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • Bunco Babes Tell All
  • Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women
  • Smart Girls Like Me
  • Succubus Takes Manhattan (Succubus, #2)
  • Revenge of the Kudzu Debutantes (Kudzu Debutantes, #1)
  • "A" is for Apple (Sophie Green Mystery #3)
  • Poetry as Survival
  • She, Myself & I
  • Some Like It Haute
  • Bodies out of Bounds: Fatness and Transgression
  • Once upon a Dyke (New Exploits, #1)
  • Queen of Broken Hearts