Start by marking “The Long and the Short of It: A Tale About Hair” as Want to Read:
The Long and the Short of It: A Tale About Hair

The Long and the Short of It: A Tale About Hair

Winner: 2012 Apex Award of Publishing Excellence, One-of-akind Health and Medical Publication; 2011 Association Trends All Media Contest, Gold; 2011 National Health Information Award, Bronze, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention; 2011 Mom's Choice Award, Gold, Children's Books;
Finalist: 2012 National Indie Excellence Award, Children's Picture Books; 2011 USA Best Book
Published January 25th 2011 by American Cancer Society (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Long and the Short of It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long and the Short of It

Lyndsey Hurm
AMAZING!! This book is so touching and so amazing! It teaches children to have confidence in themselves and to be happy with who they are. Each person is different and unique and with today's society, everyone is so focused on superficial things and artificial beauty that this book is necessary to read to the students in my future class! After reading the story I might talk about cancer and as a class we could think of some ways that we can help children going through cancer.... maybe write them ...more
Rebecca Martin
I love love love this book. It is just a plus that one of my favortie teachers actually wrote this book! I know that she is going to read this review so I do not want her to think I am sucking up, but seriously it is a great book! I am big on teaching children to be themselves and to always feel comfortable and confident in their own skin. This is a great book to read to my studets and discuss that. We could learn about cancer and how we can help other children who are going through this. This i ...more
Angela
I loved how this book is set up. It provides amazing illustrations of a little girl undergoing cancer and how she is feeling.

This book deals with the serious tone of cancer. Acceptance can be taught from this book looking at how distraught the little girl feels because she is bald due to the cancer treatment. Connections/disconnections can be incorporated into lesson to have students see both sides.
April Scheivelhud
I loved this endearing story based on two real little brave girls. I love the fact that this book covers an often overlooked topic of conversation with children- cancer. This is a great book for kids to see how they can find the best in life if they just look really hard. Also, this is an awesome true story of compassion from a little girl that wants to donate her hair for Locks-for-Love. Beautiful illustrations!
Dr. Laura Meyers
What a beautiful story! I can see using this book in so many ways: an inspirational read aloud, a prompt for connecting to critical literacy, an example of the see-saw approach to writing, etc., etc. I especially appreciated the author's notes, updates on the real-life characters, & teaching connections suggested by the authors at the end of the book. This is a wonderful contribution to our bookshelves! :)
Amanda Stacy
Apr 23, 2012 Amanda Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601
This book is an amazing tool to help students see how there actions can affect a hold with cancers life. I would suggest that everyone read this book. It can be used for any grade. I used it for 2nd and they loved it! For writing we created cards to go to the hospital where one of our students is bring treated for Leukemia. I can't tell you how much this book can change students perceptions on the subject of cancer. It's a great eye opener book!
Sharia A.
Jan 23, 2013 Sharia A. rated it really liked it
I couldn't believe this book was a true story! Both of the ladies in this book are my heros and are remarkable. These girls are depicted in the story in a realistic way. The story is a great introduction to students who feel like they are bring judged or looked at differently in society.
Lydia
Of course I believe it's an excellent book. :)

You'll have to read it to understand the bookshelf choices.

I do hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed co-writing it.
Salima Hart
This is a phenomenal story about two girls, one with cancer and one without. The girl that has cancer discusses her feelings about losing her hair through treatment and how it effects her self-esteem and the way that others view her. The girl without cancer talks about how important her hair is to her. Eventually the girl with long hair donates her hair to the foundation that makes wigs for cancer patients, and the girl with cancer receives it and talks about how happy it has made her. This is t ...more
Arissa
Apr 08, 2014 Arissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: experiences
A tale about two girls who have experiences with their hair. In their own ways, they have the decision to either want it long or has to have it short. One lost her hair due to chemotherapy treatments, but their bond is much stronger because the other donates her hair to her friend. The meaning of friendship. This story can be used to teach students about generosity and the power of friendship at a young age. Students can express a time when they have gave to someone else or they gave to them.
Carla Raymer
Jul 07, 2013 Carla Raymer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: touching, sickness
This is a moving book about a young girl who finds out she has cancer. One of the things that she experienced was having to cut all of her hair off. As soon as she found out that she was no longer sick, she continued to cut her hair off so that she could donate her hair to other girls and boys who are sick. A touching and moving story about giving.
Carly Gates
Jul 13, 2013 Carly Gates rated it it was amazing
I love that this book is about two real little girls, one diagnosed with cancer. There was 2 year old little boy with cancer that my community came together to raise funds for some months ago. I didn't know the family personally, but I became attached to his story. He sadly passed away but I can't help but thinking he would have loved hearing of a story about a child similar to him.
Alysia
Jul 06, 2013 Alysia rated it it was amazing
To me this book teaches children the importance of being aware of others and being appreciative for what it is you do have. This book is a great read to support any child's understanding of an illness.
Brittany Long
Jul 12, 2013 Brittany Long rated it really liked it
This is an amazing story that tells of the selfless acts of two young girls can teach people of any age about the importance of giving. This story really touched me because I have had many family members who have fought cancer, although most lost the battle.
Julie
Jul 04, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: moral
I think this story is very touching. It teaches how different aspects can give and affect to think about the situation. I believe I would suggest that everyone read this book and this will be the one of must-read in the classroom as well.
Timothy Cockburn
this book can be used for a student who knows or had someone who experienced cancer and losing their hair. shows perserverance
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2011
April Scheivelhud
April Scheivelhud rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Kai Palmer
Kai Palmer rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Megan Silianoff
Megan Silianoff rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Courtney Sharpton
Courtney Sharpton rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2011
Alexa Maring
Alexa Maring rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2011
Pinky
Pinky rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Marlene Mejia
Marlene Mejia rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2014
Emily Molina
Emily Molina rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Alicia Biffle
Alicia Biffle rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2013
Ngoc  Dang
Ngoc Dang rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Kristib535
Kristib535 marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2011
Keji
Keji marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2011
Nicole Flores
Nicole Flores marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2011
Brittnay
Brittnay marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2011
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2012
Angela
Angela added it
Apr 04, 2012
Mia Obiwo
Mia Obiwo marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2012
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Laura Vincenzi
Laura Vincenzi marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Jessica Vankoughnett
Jessica Vankoughnett marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Mia Scarlet Star
Mia Scarlet Star marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Robyn Mcconochie
Robyn Mcconochie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013