Start by marking “The Long and the Short of It: A Tale About Hair” as Want to Read:
The Long and the Short of It: A Tale About Hair

The Long and the Short of It: A Tale About Hair

4.71 of 5 stars 4.71  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  16 reviews
With colorful illustrations and a comforting message, this picture book follows the parallel stories of two young girls who are having problems with their hair. One wants to grow her hair longer, while the other, who has lost her hair during cancer treatment, would just like to have it back. Their friendship leads them to a new understanding of hair loss and the act of giv ...more
Published January 25th 2011 by American Cancer Society (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Long and the Short of It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long and the Short of It

Lyndsey Hurm
AMAZING!! This book is so touching and so amazing! It teaches children to have confidence in themselves and to be happy with who they are. Each person is different and unique and with today's society, everyone is so focused on superficial things and artificial beauty that this book is necessary to read to the students in my future class! After reading the story I might talk about cancer and as a class we could think of some ways that we can help children going through cancer.... maybe write them ...more
Rebecca Martin
I love love love this book. It is just a plus that one of my favortie teachers actually wrote this book! I know that she is going to read this review so I do not want her to think I am sucking up, but seriously it is a great book! I am big on teaching children to be themselves and to always feel comfortable and confident in their own skin. This is a great book to read to my studets and discuss that. We could learn about cancer and how we can help other children who are going through this. This i ...more
Amanda Stacy
This book is an amazing tool to help students see how there actions can affect a hold with cancers life. I would suggest that everyone read this book. It can be used for any grade. I used it for 2nd and they loved it! For writing we created cards to go to the hospital where one of our students is bring treated for Leukemia. I can't tell you how much this book can change students perceptions on the subject of cancer. It's a great eye opener book!
April Scheivelhud
I loved this endearing story based on two real little brave girls. I love the fact that this book covers an often overlooked topic of conversation with children- cancer. This is a great book for kids to see how they can find the best in life if they just look really hard. Also, this is an awesome true story of compassion from a little girl that wants to donate her hair for Locks-for-Love. Beautiful illustrations!
Dr. Laura Meyers
What a beautiful story! I can see using this book in so many ways: an inspirational read aloud, a prompt for connecting to critical literacy, an example of the see-saw approach to writing, etc., etc. I especially appreciated the author's notes, updates on the real-life characters, & teaching connections suggested by the authors at the end of the book. This is a wonderful contribution to our bookshelves! :)
Angela
I loved how this book is set up. It provides amazing illustrations of a little girl undergoing cancer and how she is feeling.

This book deals with the serious tone of cancer. Acceptance can be taught from this book looking at how distraught the little girl feels because she is bald due to the cancer treatment. Connections/disconnections can be incorporated into lesson to have students see both sides.
Sharia A.
I couldn't believe this book was a true story! Both of the ladies in this book are my heros and are remarkable. These girls are depicted in the story in a realistic way. The story is a great introduction to students who feel like they are bring judged or looked at differently in society.
Lydia
Of course I believe it's an excellent book. :)

You'll have to read it to understand the bookshelf choices.

I do hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed co-writing it.
Arissa
A tale about two girls who have experiences with their hair. In their own ways, they have the decision to either want it long or has to have it short. One lost her hair due to chemotherapy treatments, but their bond is much stronger because the other donates her hair to her friend. The meaning of friendship. This story can be used to teach students about generosity and the power of friendship at a young age. Students can express a time when they have gave to someone else or they gave to them.
Salima Hart
This is a phenomenal story about two girls, one with cancer and one without. The girl that has cancer discusses her feelings about losing her hair through treatment and how it effects her self-esteem and the way that others view her. The girl without cancer talks about how important her hair is to her. Eventually the girl with long hair donates her hair to the foundation that makes wigs for cancer patients, and the girl with cancer receives it and talks about how happy it has made her. This is t ...more
Carly Gates
I love that this book is about two real little girls, one diagnosed with cancer. There was 2 year old little boy with cancer that my community came together to raise funds for some months ago. I didn't know the family personally, but I became attached to his story. He sadly passed away but I can't help but thinking he would have loved hearing of a story about a child similar to him.
Carla Raymer
This is a moving book about a young girl who finds out she has cancer. One of the things that she experienced was having to cut all of her hair off. As soon as she found out that she was no longer sick, she continued to cut her hair off so that she could donate her hair to other girls and boys who are sick. A touching and moving story about giving.
Brittany Long
This is an amazing story that tells of the selfless acts of two young girls can teach people of any age about the importance of giving. This story really touched me because I have had many family members who have fought cancer, although most lost the battle.
Julie
Jul 04, 2013 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: moral
I think this story is very touching. It teaches how different aspects can give and affect to think about the situation. I believe I would suggest that everyone read this book and this will be the one of must-read in the classroom as well.
Alysia
To me this book teaches children the importance of being aware of others and being appreciative for what it is you do have. This book is a great read to support any child's understanding of an illness.
Timothy Cockburn
this book can be used for a student who knows or had someone who experienced cancer and losing their hair. shows perserverance
Nyana G
Nyana G marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Sancha
Sancha marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Evance Orero
Evance Orero marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Danielle Monroe
Danielle Monroe marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Linda
Linda added it
Oct 15, 2013
Robyn Mcconochie
Robyn Mcconochie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Mia Scarlet Star
Mia Scarlet Star marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
The Listening Me The Giving Me Long and the Short of It: A Tale about Hair The Long and the Short of It: A Tale About Hair