Start by marking “The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1-3)

The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 (Magic Kingdom of Landover #1-3 )

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  2,315 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Capture the fantasy, thrills, and far-flung adventure of the first three novels in Terry Brooks’s enchanting Magic Kingdom of Landover series–now for the first time in one gripping volume.

Chicago lawyer Ben Holiday can’t fathom what lies ahead when he purchases Landover–a magical kingdom of chivalry and sorcery–from Meeks, the mysterious seller who placed the ad. Weary and
Published (first published March 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Kingdom of Landover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Kingdom of Landover

An Odd1
Jan 05, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"The Magic Kingdom of Landover" (V1: #1-3) by Terry Brooks all build up to bangup fight finales. I don't find humor in the gnomes eating dogs, cats, or trying to. Middle-aged male wish fulfillment night, bathing in a warm spring and meeting a lovely green fae who says "I am yours" (both in birthday suits) gives me a bad taste in #1, so I prefer #3 where he's more committed to all his friends.

"Magic Kingdom for Sale" #1 For $1M, Ben Holliday, 39, recently widowed lawyer, buys the crown of Landov
Brent Brubaker
The Magic Kingdom of Landover Volume 1 is an omnibus containing the first three novels in the Magic Kingdom of Landover series. The individual books that make up volume 1 are: Magic Kingdom For Sale-Sold, The Black Unicorn and Wizard at Large.

The book starts out really strong...a middle-aged lawer who lost his wife three years ago is searching for something in his life. He is tired of the day to day stress of a world without meaning and adventure. That is when he decides to buy a magical kingdom
Mike
Total pulp fantasy. Nice and simple formula. Something bad happens. Things go from bad to worse. Something bad happens. (Again?) Things keep getting worse, (Really? They can’t be that dumb, and there’s only 20 pages left.) Dues ex Machina. All problems solved. Falling action. Happy Ending. -The End. First story was ok. Second, not event that good. Third was the best of the three. The third almost makes me want to keep reading the Landover stories. Almost. This is not necessarily a bad writing. I ...more
Chris
Nov 21, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 contains the first 3 books of a currently 5 book series. I am going to give a general description of the main characters, then summarize my experience with each of the three books in this volume.

Ben Holiday: Usually the main protagonist, Ben is a trial lawyer from Chicago who, having lost his wife and unborn child to a car accident, and having seen an ad in a Christmas wish catalog, decided to purchase a magic kingdom called Landover for the sum of one mil
Mikki
Jun 09, 2017 Mikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This was a great book. I found myself getting a little lost sometimes due to the over descriptive nature of parts, but that was probably just my own focus issue. I can not wait to read more from Terry Brooks.
Greg Herman
Jun 25, 2017 Greg Herman rated it it was amazing
This series is one of my all time favorites. If you're looking for a great fantasy read than you should give this a try.
Erik
An altogether mediocre book, which I purchased only because it came packaged 3-books-in-1

The premise is great - a jaded lawyer, unable to overcome his sorrow over his late wife's untimely death, comes across an ad selling a magical kingdom for ONE MILLION DOLLARS (fufufufu). Skeptical, he nevertheless decides he has nothing else to lose. He purchases it and finds that, indeed, there is a magical kingdom called Landover, full of unicorns and lions and tigers and bears oh my! Unfortunately for Ben
Dusty Craine
How do you review an omnibus of three books without giving away any spoilers? I don’t know so I’m not going to try. These are the first three books in the Landover series of fantasy novels by Terry Brooks. It is a story that is continually crossing over between our real-world Chicago and a magical Kingdom named Landover.

Book one opens with Ben Holiday, a successful lawyer and partner in a law firm who still grieves the loss of his wife, Annie. He opens a holiday catalog that is exclusive to peop
B.J. Kurtz
Anh
Jun 20, 2012 Anh rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The first omnibus (#1-3) was done a day or two ago. The first book was okay. The second was slightly better, but I'm no fan of the unicorn concept so I was enjoying it but feeling uneasy at the same time. The third book was the best of the three.

Some comments on the characters:

- My favorite ones are Strabo (he's so grumpy!) and Dirk. I liked a great deal of Questor and Abernathy also.

- Ben was not up to my expectations. First of all, I don't like his name. Second, I don't like him, for no explan
Luci
Feb 12, 2017 Luci rated it it was ok
This is pretty straight up fantasy. It's definitely family friendly fare with a lot of magical creatures and setting do. They are pulpy and fun. The secondary characters are far more interesting although the Paladin twist is fun.
Andrew
Nov 18, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This omnibus covers the first three books in the Magic Kingdom of Landover series. Overall, each one was a very enjoyable fantasy book with an engaging story. Certainly not the height of literary achievement, especially when it comes to character dialog, but still a fun read.

Terry Brooks managed to slip some environmentalism into the first and third books, but it wasn't annoyingly pedantic like some books.

There was only one small logical fallacy with the plot line of the third book that annoyed
P D
May 27, 2014 P D rated it liked it
Landover is a traditional fantasy kingdom in need, despite all its magic, of a king to save it. Ben Holiday, however, is anything but traditional king material: he's a trial lawyer from Chicago with a pragmatic approach only sometimes affected by thoughts of his dead wife.

The book is really more a series of related novellas. They do follow in sequence, but each one begins with a rehash of the events in the previous, so it'd even be possible to read them as standalones. That said, each one ties u
Eric Westrope
Nov 11, 2013 Eric Westrope rated it it was amazing
It has been many years since I originally read A Magic Kingdom For Sale...Sold! I have to say my memory of it was a bit fuzzy. Honestly, in my own personal opinion, I greatly enjoyed reading this volume which contains the first three books in the Landover series. They are just plain fun to read.
I have seen that others have rated the books 1 or 2 stars. But that is their opinion. The Landover books are for fun fantasy reading. Take a modern day lawyer and shove the lawyer in to a land where magi
Zayne
Jan 09, 2013 Zayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to average the three separate ratings of the books in this volume to get this average: 3.67

The first and last books were great. I was fully strapped in. I loved the whole idea of a person from our world buying a fantasy kingdom. there were great characters, lots of laughs and adventure, making it a great, light read. But the second book wasn't as great. It lacked what the first and last books had: this energy and "funness" to it. It bored me a little, although I still liked it. The pro
Guanchen Wang
Sep 25, 2016 Guanchen Wang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love LOVE this book. I never got into Terry Brooks' Shannara series but I have read the Landover series and Word & Void series. In comparison, I find Landover a much more enjoyable read. Ben is an extremely likable character. The first two books in the series also have a twist I did not see coming. I feel a large part of my enjoyment comes from the twist in the plot that just wowed me, but even without the twist, I feel I would still find the books quite enjoyable. This book was recommende ...more
Melody Craig
This book was good, it kind of felt like a dream, sort of surreal but it was entertaining. I didn't get too drawn in to the characters though so I didn't feel like I experienced this story, but it was readable. A lot of fantasy novels are hard to get through because the authors make their characters have really long and hard to pronounce names and the fantasy places and creatures are so foreign it's hard to keep track of what's going on. Unlike most fantasy novels this book is simple to read and ...more
Arch
Sep 13, 2016 Arch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of my favourite sagas so far, as I have discovered that I like a lot fantasy novels with a kind of favolistic setting.
Terry Brooks truly did a majestc job here: the only thing I did not like is how the love between the protagonist and the nymph is portrayed, but it's only one thing in a whole series of novels.
I liked The Magic Kingdom of Landover far more than Shannara, and I totally recommend it.
I even stole a couple of ideas to insert in my D&D campaign!
Christal Keel
Nov 07, 2014 Christal Keel rated it it was amazing
A wonderful blend of magic and the mundane.

I have loved Terry Brooks since The Sword of Shannara, and it took a lot to divest myself from the notion that fantasy and reality just shouldn't share a venue. Magic Kingdom for Sale proved that "modern fantasy" is not (and should not be) an oxymoron.
Ted Cross
Dec 25, 2015 Ted Cross rated it really liked it
I have always liked the first few Shannara novels by Brooks, but I wasn't sure I would like this series, since it seemed less serious. It is less serious, but I still enjoyed it quite a lot. Once you get over the absurd premise and the initially unlikable main character, it gets clever and fun. Note that this is an omnibus edition with all three of the novels.
Manda
Jan 10, 2017 Manda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
BIGGEST COMPLAINT: The romance was cardboard, wish the ONLY actual girl had more development. A relationship cant just be we are destined but we never talk or actually do anything except for the girl constantly trying to kill herself for the main character.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the characters and story.
Mahesh
Feb 09, 2013 Mahesh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's inconsistent and not great literature but very fun. The first and third book are much better than the second one, although I hope this volume is the end of problems for Ben Holiday that rely on villains that were introduced in the first few chapters of the first book. Light and enjoyable and very quickly read.
Cristyertel
I thought this story could be really interesting (it was someone telling me about the story line that got me interested in reading this book). However, I REALLY felt that the author's writing style was very lacking and to me this really ruined the book. In fact, I only ended up reading the first book of the three in this edition.
A. L. DeLeon
Nov 15, 2015 A. L. DeLeon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This omnibus of the first 3 books of the Magic of Landover series was definitely a fun read for me. I've read most of Terry's works except for this series and have to say that I don't regret the read. It's not the Shannara Series, but it IS a good series all on its own. One that does a good job of entertaining the reader and raising thought provoking questions within its story.
Linda
Aug 02, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised people don't like the Landover books. I've started re-reading them and enjoy them as much as I did when they came out. If you've never read a fantasy novel and want to start somewhere, the Shannara books are the way to go though. I wish I had the time to start the whole series over again. Too many books, not enough time.
Eric
Nov 04, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
Love this trilogy!!

I really enjoyed this book. If you are a fan of Brandon Sanderson. Salvatore or Terry Brooks, you will like this story. It's upbeat, decently paced and while not terribly original, is a very fun read. Highly recommend
Linda Barnett
Oct 19, 2015 Linda Barnett rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first three books in this series, although it was a bit of a slow starter for me, and I'm looking forward to reading the second three to see what kind of trouble they will get themselves into next.
Katty
Aug 03, 2010 Katty rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I only read the first two books in this collection, they were good. Even fun, some would say, but I just did not care to read the last book, "Wizard at Large". I will probably regret this decision and at some point read it...but not now, not with my to-read pile growing larger by the minute.
Renee
Jan 25, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very fun adventure. In my opinion, the more I read, the better it got. I think I liked "The Black Unicorn" story the best. Brooks did a great job describing the world of Landover. Sometimes I thought the descriptions were a little wordy, but vivid nonetheless. Very imaginative.
Lorrie
Apr 04, 2011 Lorrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever want to check out of this world and into another and start over? This is an adventuresome fantasy tale of someone who did and Mr. Brooks writes it so well you feel like you have. One of those you don't want to put down and can't wait to get to the next one in the series.
Best Quality Swords for Sale 1 1 Aug 10, 2014 04:16AM
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)
  • Ralestone Luck
  • A Dawn of Dragons (Dragons of Spring Dawning, #2; Dragonlance Chronicles, #6)
  • Once Upon a Time (Fairies of Rush, #1 & #2)
  • The Cygnet and the Firebird (Cygnet, #2)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Neverwinter Tales
  • Destiny's Forge (Man-Kzin Wars, #11.5)
  • Mistshore (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #2)
  • A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories
  • The Shield of Weeping Ghosts (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #3)
  • Il re del mondo
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover
  • The Dragon Quartet Omnibus, Volume 2
  • Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)
  • Swords of the Legion (The Videssos Cycle, #4)
  • Thrice Bound (Greek Myths, #5)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

Magic Kingdom of Landover (6 books)
  • Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #2)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • A Princess of Landover (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #6)

“Most of all, he needed a challenge—because that was what gave life meaning.” 3 likes
“Courtesy has nothing to do with the matter, High Lord Ben Holiday. Playing games is a way of life with cats. We tease, we taunt, and we do exactly as we please, not as others would have us do. Playing games is an integral part of our personae. Those who wish to have any sort of relationship with us must expect as much. They must understand that participation in our games is necessary if they wish communication on any level.” 0 likes