Start by marking “Overexposed: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Overexposed: A Novel

Overexposed: A Novel

2.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Edgy Manhattan shutterbug Rachel Solomon can't wait to escape her difficult Midwestern Jewish family of doctors—and her crazy, condescending WASP friend and photography mentor, Elizabeth Mann. Not so easy when Elizabeth marries Rachel's surgeon-brother, moves to the Midwest, and becomes the daughter Rachel's mother always wanted—one who pops out four babies in a row, who a ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Overexposed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overexposed

I ate this book up. It was well written and had a good pace. I'm not usually into books like this, but for whatever reason I decided to give it a try and it was worth it. It didn't have an incredibly cliche ending which was great.

I don't understand what Ricky sees in Elizabeth. I would have stopped being friends with her long ago. I also don't understand her revelation at the end that she doesn't spend enough time with her family. It seems that she's spending the time she can and when she does
Amy
Oct 17, 2010 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving it 4 stars for humor and well-drawn characters. But I'm giving it 2 stars for plot arc. Seriously, if I wanted to spend this much time hearing someone talk about a toxic relationship when there's never a big climax or a resolution to the story, well, I've got plenty of friends I can call up for that. Is it weird to condemn a book for being TOO much like real life? (Complain, complain, complain, no one ever confronts anybody, nothing ever really happens or changes, complain, complain)
Chivon
Aug 01, 2011 Chivon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute little book. I like the span of time that this story took you through and how it followed the dynamic of two friends Elizabeth and Ricky.

I enjoyed Ricky' character, she was a sweet girl who was intent on following her dreams and she made it.

I love her sarcasm... Very decent book.
Madge
Feb 22, 2015 Madge rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it but not as much as some of her other works. A good beach read but not sure that is what the author was going for.
Michelle
Jun 20, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
This was my first attempt at reading a book in the humour genre. I was bitterly disappointed. I didn't laugh, but worse, I didn't relate. Maybe it is because I can't relate to the strong Jewish ties in the book, but I think the protagonist was too narcissistic to enjoy and every character seemed a caricature of reality.
Louise Silk
Jun 04, 2012 Louise Silk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I wanted to read this book because the author is a writing instructor and I had hoped to see a quality piece of writing. It's not.

The best part of the book is the author's ability to write dialogue but after that there is nothing redeeming of note. The characters are insipid and shallow. The plot is boring and uneventful. I can't think of one reason to waste your time with this.
Tracy
I only sort of liked her other fiction book which I reviewed in the last week or two. I've gotten through about 80 pages and I'm not enjoying it. I don't have much else to read so I might just keep on. It's about a photographer who moves to NY and becomes friends with someone who eventually seems to take her place in her family by marrying her brother.
Lisa
Nov 11, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed Susan Shapiro's memoirs. She can be very funny, engaging and observant. For this reason, I found Overexposed disappointing. The pettiness and endless nattering of the main character was tiresome.
Christian
Aug 14, 2014 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two thumbs up. Just a good solid story.
Manda
Sep 06, 2013 Manda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much every character in this book was unlikeable! It made it really hard to find somebody to root for. On the other hand, this book was a quick and easy read.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2010- Ugh. I really didn't care for this book, and I felt too much of the plot was revealed on the inside cover.
Marcia
Aug 16, 2013 Marcia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to like a book when you do not like any of the characters.
Fuschia
Dec 21, 2010 Fuschia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why I bothered to finish this one, pretty lame.
Rhonda
Very good fast reading
Camille
witty
Lissel Devetori
Lissel Devetori marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Cindy Hoose
Cindy Hoose marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Michelle Hart
Michelle Hart marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Kimberly Ricci
Kimberly Ricci rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Torin
Torin rated it it was ok
May 02, 2016
JJ
JJ rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Tawana Jamison
Tawana Jamison marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Roni
Roni marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Coffeebelle
Coffeebelle rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2016
Rosa Nuzhat
Rosa Nuzhat marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Kira
Kira added it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Hold Love Strong
  • Brass Ankle Blues: A Novel
  • All of Me: A Voluptuous Tale
  • Of Blood and Sorrow (Tamara Hayle, #8)
  • The Queen of Harlem: A Novel
  • Blacker Than a Thousand Midnights
  • Starlit: A Novel
  • Neecey's Lullaby: A novel
  • Indiana, Indiana
  • Just One Taste (Recipe for Love #3)
  • Leftovers