Start by marking “Swim! Swim!” as Want to Read:
Swim! Swim!

Swim! Swim!

A snazzy story about friendship and true love! Lerch is one sassy, snazzy fish who seems to have it all: good looks, charm, a great sense of humor, and a perfect smile. But he's lonely (the bubbles and the pebbles ain't talkin'!) and wants to find a friend. But where? Then, with the help of an unexpected "admirer," Lerch meets Dinah, and it's true love from first glance.
Published July 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Swim! Swim!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swim! Swim!

Sammantha
Aug 04, 2016 Sammantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books, funny
My daughter enjoyed this story when I read it to her. It's a silly and fun read for the little ones.
Powerm2
Jun 20, 2017 Powerm2 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-texts
This book tells the story of an optimistic fish who is looking for a friend in a lonely tank. He asks numerous bubbles and pebbles to be his friends and becomes upset when nothing will be his friend. Then, from the help of a hungry cat, he finds a new friend by chance.

This picture book is a great entrance way for graphic texts and novels. It is written in a comical way that allows children to connect to and understand the genre. It can also teach the theme of being optimistic and can be part of
Shraddha Kapadia
Feb 22, 2017 Shraddha Kapadia rated it it was amazing
Proimos, James. Swim! Swim! / by Lerch. New York: Scholastic, 2010.

This is a story of a lonely goldfish named Lerch who in search of a friend. Everything and every sea creature he along meets will not be friends or shake fins with him. He eventually gets caught by a cat who calls him "Lunch". What does a poor little fish have to do to make friends? Will he ever truly befriend anyone or anything? Will he survive?

The strength of this graphic novel lies in the humor and illustrations. The comic lik
Dana Burnett
1. Swim! Swim! written by Lerch is about a fish who is very lonely because he does not have any friends who talk to him. Throughout the book, the fish asks different objects such as the pebble, the underwater diver toy, and the bubbles if they are his friends. Throughout asking all of these creatures, none of them responded to him. He also encountered a cat in the process, which he attempted to make friends with but the cat had different intentions than Lerch did because he was more interested i ...more
An Abundance of Books
Sep 07, 2011 An Abundance of Books rated it really liked it
Featured at An Abundance of Books

I don't know how I missed this book but I'm so glad my coworker found it and added it to the library order. Swim! Swim! is funny and engaging picture book that kids of all ages will enjoy. Our lonely hero Lerch is simply looking for a friend. He asked the pebbles, the sunken diver, and the bubbles from the water filter to be his friend, but they just ignored him. (He even tried talking in bubble, but to no avail.)

Just when Lerch thought it was official that nobod
Sharon Tyler
Aug 31, 2012 Sharon Tyler rated it really liked it
Swim! Swim! by Lerch by James Proimos is a great picturebook about a lonely fish named Lerch. He swims around his fish tank looking foe a friend. He swims, and swims, and swims, until he sees a possible friend, and then asks if the likely companion will be his friend. Sadly he does not seem to get answers. He asks the pebbles at the bottom of the tank and they ignore him, then the little scuba man with similar results. The he asks some bubbles, but they just run away and pop. A very sad Lerch th ...more
Sep 25, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
1. In the story, "Swim, Swim" the main character, a fish named Lerch, is eager to make a friend. However, his efforts are ignored when he approaches the pebbles, the underwater scuba-diver ornament and the hungry cat watching from outside the fishbowl, all of whom reject his appeals. In the end, Lerch does find a friend who matches exactly what he has been missing....and she was worth the wait.

2. "Swim, Swim" by Lerch is an entertaining read for students of all ages. We can relate to this littl
Shawna Sachs
Dec 05, 2012 Shawna Sachs rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. Lerch is a very lonely goldfish he just wants to make some friends in his fishtank. He asks the underwater diver but he is to doesn't want to talk to him. Then he asks the pebbles he they will be his friends but they are to shy they do not want to talk. Lerch then sees some bubbles but all they can say is "blup". Lerch tries to talk to them in their own language but somehow he frieghtens them and they are run away and then they go "pop". Next, he see a cat and the cat in ...more
Brianna
Dec 06, 2016 Brianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-texts
Swim! Swim! is a fun and comical book about a small fish named Lerch with a big heart, simply looking for friendship. The fish tries to make friends by talking to anyone he can find..bubbles, even the plastic scuba diver. At the end of the book, a not-so-friendly-kitty decides to scoop him out of his bowl and introduce to him to another fish friend, Dinnah.

This silly graphic introduces story telling in a format different from many other picture books, with its comic like design. Readers are boun
Katrina Knight
Dec 07, 2016 Katrina Knight rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Summary: This book is about a little fish in a bowl, swimming around, looking for friends but he is lonely. A cat seeks out the fish and at first, you think the cat is going to eat the little fish. At the end, the cat takes the fish out of the bowl and puts him in another bowl where there is a fish friend for him. The two fish become friends and swim together.

Review: The book Swim! Swim! is a cute story about a fish in need of a friend! The illustrations are magnificent and really help to tell t
Maggie Sideris
1. Lerch just wants a friend. He searches all around his tank, but noone seems to want to talk to him. Then he finds what he think will be his friend, but that is a mistake.
2. This was such a cute book. It is a very simple book, but has a great story. This book is also a great introduction to graphic novels for young readers.
3. Some other books that would connect well with this book are "Lunch Lady" and "Baby Mouse" because they would be graphic novels for readers at a little bit of a higher lev
Sara Magliocca
Dec 08, 2016 Sara Magliocca rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
1) Summary: This book is about a fish named Lerch who is looking for a friend. Once he realizes the bubbles and pebbles arent talking back to him, he ends up meeting Dinah, who is an unexpected, but lovely surprise.
2) Review: This is a very cute book. The graphic format is an interesting way to present a story like this. The images and plot are appealing to many age groups and even to adults. Anytime you want to read a graphic text to a group of students, this is a great picture book to introduc
Romelle
Mar 07, 2012 Romelle rated it it was amazing
Lerch is all alone in his fish tank. He tries desperately to make friends with the pebbles, scuba diver, and bubbles in his tank, but to no avail until he meets a cat. Everyone knows what happens when you put a cat together with a fish. Or do we? The surprise ending will give the readers a good laugh in this rollicking picture book by the fish himself- Lerch.

The first few pages falls a little flat, but as the story progresses, it becomes funnier and funnier. You can't help but pity the poor fis
Heidi-Marie
That made me laugh, especially the pictures. Poor guy--but hilarious to see him find a friend. Still not quite sure while the cat didn't eat Lunch, and wondering just how safe Lunch and Dinner are. (The play on names was hilarious, by the way.)

Could work as a filler in storytime. Would be fun to get the kids involved in saying what Lerch does. Would the cat part confuse them, too?

Downside: One of the bubble pages was completely torn out, so I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I got the idea.

2/12
Alyssa
Dec 06, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
1. Original 3 line summary: Lerch is a goldfish that is on a quest to find a friend. He asks the pebbles, the bubbles, and an underwater diver figurine, all to no avail. Suddenly a cat scoops him out of the tank and drops him in with another lonely goldfish named Dinah.
2. Original 3 line review: This is a really sweet story about a lonely fish. My favorite part is when he meets Dinah and they hold hands. They are just little goldfish but I was very happy when he made a friend!
3. Other books you
Sandybear76
I'm at the school's book fair and I hear a couple of teachers giggling and laughing as they are reading a picture book. They asked if I read this book Swim, Swim. I hadn't read it so I did while waiting for a class to come in. This book is in cartoon illustrations and told by the fish in the bowl. He is trying to make friends with "people" in his bowl but no one is talking to him. Then the cat nabs Lerch out of the bowl and ........................................... surprise, happy, funny endin ...more
Perri Hammershlag
Swim! Swim! Is about Lerch the fish who is looking for a friend. Lerch swims around asking everyone to be his friend, but is unsuccessful. Will Lerch ever find a friend?

This book is considered a graphic novel because of the multiple panels and use of gutters on a page. This is a great book to introduce younger students to graphic novels. The book includes humor and will entertain a reader.

Similar books:
This Is Not My Hat by Lerch
You're Finally Here by Melanie Watt

"Swim! Swim! Swim! Swim!"
Amianne Bailey
Sep 13, 2011 Amianne Bailey rated it it was amazing
1st, 2nd, 6th--Read-Aloud. We discussed text features (thought bubbles) and the importance of using background knowledge when reading. The kids already knew that cats and fish don't always get along, so we talked about how they already knew that fact before I read them the story. This background knowledge helped them make a prediction, but then there is a "surprise" ending, so that made the book even more enjoyable. This is a new favorite!
Diane
Nov 02, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
Poor Lerch. All he wants is a friend, but he can't get anyone to talk to him: not the pebbles, not the plastic diver and the bubbles just don't understand what he's saying. Then along comes the cat. Is the cat a friend? Is the fish Lerch or lunch? Is she dinner or dinah? It's always fun when a picture book has a plot twist that goes "against character." It's a good discussion starter with readers.
Cemeread
Oct 21, 2013 Cemeread rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A fish is lonely and tries to make friends, but it's hard to make friends with pepples and bubbles. Just as he thinks no one loves him he sees someone who really likes him outside his tank. His new pal quickly names him Lunch. Don't worry, the story doesn't end the way one might expect. Simple drawings illustrate this kind of cute story.

For a similiar story that is outstanding try Memoirs of a Goldfish. (No cats in this one.)
Loren
Aug 02, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
I have wondered who exactly is, Lerch?! Hmmm....
As with most of my reviewed books in goodreads, I like the illustration style. I also like the how the subject of frienship is discussed thru out this book ... it kind of reminded me of one of my favorite fish picture books (Big Al or is it Ugly Al)? Still a bit uncertain of the true intentions of the cat although it reminds my of Mary Bee's kitty.

Cornelius
Sep 13, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it
The book Swim! Swim! by Lerch is about a charismatic fish who is the only fish in the tank; as a result, becomes lonely. So, he goes in search for a friend. On his jouney, he asks the pebbles would they be his friend, a toy in his fish tank, and the bubbles. However, later is placed in a tank with a friend. The words in the book are big and the fish prounce different sounds of words, such as pop and blub. I would use this in the classroom to help children learn different sounds of words.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: fish, friendship
Lerch wants to make friends (rather desperately) but there's a decided lack of companions in his fish tank. He tries out being friendly on the pebbles, a plastic deep sea diver, and some bubbles. Only when a cat (who implies that it's Lunch not Lerch to him) places him in another bowl with Dinner (who insists it's pronounced Dinah!) does Lerch finally find what he's looking for.

Cute illustrations.
Elizabeth
May 04, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jane G Meyer
Mar 22, 2012 Jane G Meyer rated it really liked it
A little bit of sarcasm, a little bit of love, a tiny speck of suspense, and a whole lot of fish bowl swimming as Lerch is on the lookout for a new friend. That's what you'll find in this new picture book by... Lerch, the goldfish.

I can see that some kids would get totally hooked on this short and colorful, cartoony book. And it wouldn't be too torturous for an adult to read it 346 times straight. (Unless the child wanted you to read every one of the 51 "Blubs" on the Bubble Talking Page.)
Kristen
I've like James Proimos ever since I read "Johnny Mutton: He's So Him". Here, he lets Lerch tell his fish tale of looking for friendship in all the wrong places (the pebbles, the bubbles, the ceramic diver) until he sees a cat peering at him.
"What's your name, pal?"
"Yummy!"
"Nice name. My name is Lerch."
"Lunch?"
"No, Lerch."
"No, I think you're lunch."
Yikes! Is this the end for our lonely Lerch? To avoid spoiling the ending, I will leave you in the... dark.
☆Brittany☆
Mar 08, 2011 ☆Brittany☆ rated it it was amazing
Okay so I would give this 3-4 stars but Ethan absolutely LOVED this book & one part just cracked him up SO much that after I finished reading him the book he insisted on acting the part out with me at least 5 times until I told him he had to stop, haha!
His favorite part was when Lerch met "Yummy", hahahaha!
Paige Lofton
Feb 23, 2016 Paige Lofton rated it it was amazing
This book is very entertaining. The way that the little fish goes through is journey is sad yet appealing. It's neat to see how much effort the fish puts into finding a friend and how he doesn't give up even when he wants too. His hard work does pay off because he eventually finds not only a friend but a companion too. When he meets his new friend, it's like a love at fist sight.
Scott Robins
Jan 11, 2011 Scott Robins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lerch is a fish in search of a new friend and while pebbles, bubbles and that undersea statuette have no interest, he eventually finds a new friend to swim, swim with. James Promios is such an underrated talent--his characters are expressive and his writing is witty, hilarious and sweet all at the same time.
Gphatty
Oct 26, 2010 Gphatty rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, picture
Clever comic as illustrated by the fish in the story, named "Lerch." It does several silly jokes about the fish looking for a friend; then comes a little bit of tension as a cat agrees to be his "friend"; and wrapped up with a silly pun for the finish. The drawings are large and easy to make out from large distances, so this could be a very good book for a younger story time.
  • Chicken Big
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • Cat Secrets
  • Dogs
  • Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Little White Rabbit
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • New Socks
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • The Bear Who Shared
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!