Swim! Swim!

Swim! Swim!

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  70 reviews
A snazzy story about friendship and true love! Lerch is one sassy, snazzy fish who seems to have it all: good looks, charm, a great sense of humor, and a perfect smile. But he's lonely (the bubbles and the pebbles ain't talkin'!) and wants to find a friend. But where? Then, with the help of an unexpected "admirer," Lerch meets Dinah, and it's true love from first glance.
Published July 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhat a Carve Up! by Jonathan Coe
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
169th out of 325 books — 19 voters
Swimmy by Leo LionniOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThe Rainbow Fish by Marcus PfisterThe Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah DiesenThe Story of Fish and Snail by Deborah Freedman
Picture Books About Fish
33rd out of 88 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon Tyler
Swim! Swim! by Lerch by James Proimos is a great picturebook about a lonely fish named Lerch. He swims around his fish tank looking foe a friend. He swims, and swims, and swims, until he sees a possible friend, and then asks if the likely companion will be his friend. Sadly he does not seem to get answers. He asks the pebbles at the bottom of the tank and they ignore him, then the little scuba man with similar results. The he asks some bubbles, but they just run away and pop. A very sad Lerch th...more
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

I don't know how I missed this book but I'm so glad my coworker found it and added it to the library order. Swim! Swim! is funny and engaging picture book that kids of all ages will enjoy. Our lonely hero Lerch is simply looking for a friend. He asked the pebbles, the sunken diver, and the bubbles from the water filter to be his friend, but they just ignored him. (He even tried talking in bubble, but to no avail.)

Just when Lerch thought it was official that nobod...more
Shawna Sachs
This is an awesome book. Lerch is a very lonely goldfish he just wants to make some friends in his fishtank. He asks the underwater diver but he is to doesn't want to talk to him. Then he asks the pebbles he they will be his friends but they are to shy they do not want to talk. Lerch then sees some bubbles but all they can say is "blup". Lerch tries to talk to them in their own language but somehow he frieghtens them and they are run away and then they go "pop". Next, he see a cat and the cat in...more
Romelle
Lerch is all alone in his fish tank. He tries desperately to make friends with the pebbles, scuba diver, and bubbles in his tank, but to no avail until he meets a cat. Everyone knows what happens when you put a cat together with a fish. Or do we? The surprise ending will give the readers a good laugh in this rollicking picture book by the fish himself- Lerch.

The first few pages falls a little flat, but as the story progresses, it becomes funnier and funnier. You can't help but pity the poor fis...more
Heidi
That made me laugh, especially the pictures. Poor guy--but hilarious to see him find a friend. Still not quite sure while the cat didn't eat Lunch, and wondering just how safe Lunch and Dinner are. (The play on names was hilarious, by the way.)

Could work as a filler in storytime. Would be fun to get the kids involved in saying what Lerch does. Would the cat part confuse them, too?

Downside: One of the bubble pages was completely torn out, so I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I got the idea.

2/12...more
Lauren
A picture book for independent readers, this is a cute story about how Lerch the fish manages to make a friend. With it's simple vocabulary, very funny moments of misunderstanding, and repetitive plot, this is a great one to give to fans of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.
Sandybear76
I'm at the school's book fair and I hear a couple of teachers giggling and laughing as they are reading a picture book. They asked if I read this book Swim, Swim. I hadn't read it so I did while waiting for a class to come in. This book is in cartoon illustrations and told by the fish in the bowl. He is trying to make friends with "people" in his bowl but no one is talking to him. Then the cat nabs Lerch out of the bowl and ........................................... surprise, happy, funny endin...more
Cornelius
The book Swim! Swim! by Lerch is about a charismatic fish who is the only fish in the tank; as a result, becomes lonely. So, he goes in search for a friend. On his jouney, he asks the pebbles would they be his friend, a toy in his fish tank, and the bubbles. However, later is placed in a tank with a friend. The words in the book are big and the fish prounce different sounds of words, such as pop and blub. I would use this in the classroom to help children learn different sounds of words.
Jane G Meyer
A little bit of sarcasm, a little bit of love, a tiny speck of suspense, and a whole lot of fish bowl swimming as Lerch is on the lookout for a new friend. That's what you'll find in this new picture book by... Lerch, the goldfish.

I can see that some kids would get totally hooked on this short and colorful, cartoony book. And it wouldn't be too torturous for an adult to read it 346 times straight. (Unless the child wanted you to read every one of the 51 "Blubs" on the Bubble Talking Page.)
Kris
I've like James Proimos ever since I read "Johnny Mutton: He's So Him". Here, he lets Lerch tell his fish tale of looking for friendship in all the wrong places (the pebbles, the bubbles, the ceramic diver) until he sees a cat peering at him.
"What's your name, pal?"
"Yummy!"
"Nice name. My name is Lerch."
"Lunch?"
"No, Lerch."
"No, I think you're lunch."
Yikes! Is this the end for our lonely Lerch? To avoid spoiling the ending, I will leave you in the... dark.
Elizabeth
Amianne Bailey
1st, 2nd, 6th--Read-Aloud. We discussed text features (thought bubbles) and the importance of using background knowledge when reading. The kids already knew that cats and fish don't always get along, so we talked about how they already knew that fact before I read them the story. This background knowledge helped them make a prediction, but then there is a "surprise" ending, so that made the book even more enjoyable. This is a new favorite!
Cemeread
A fish is lonely and tries to make friends, but it's hard to make friends with pepples and bubbles. Just as he thinks no one loves him he sees someone who really likes him outside his tank. His new pal quickly names him Lunch. Don't worry, the story doesn't end the way one might expect. Simple drawings illustrate this kind of cute story.

For a similiar story that is outstanding try Memoirs of a Goldfish. (No cats in this one.)
Diane
Poor Lerch. All he wants is a friend, but he can't get anyone to talk to him: not the pebbles, not the plastic diver and the bubbles just don't understand what he's saying. Then along comes the cat. Is the cat a friend? Is the fish Lerch or lunch? Is she dinner or dinah? It's always fun when a picture book has a plot twist that goes "against character." It's a good discussion starter with readers.
Loren
I have wondered who exactly is, Lerch?! Hmmm....
As with most of my reviewed books in goodreads, I like the illustration style. I also like the how the subject of frienship is discussed thru out this book ... it kind of reminded me of one of my favorite fish picture books (Big Al or is it Ugly Al)? Still a bit uncertain of the true intentions of the cat although it reminds my of Mary Bee's kitty.

Gphatty
Clever comic as illustrated by the fish in the story, named "Lerch." It does several silly jokes about the fish looking for a friend; then comes a little bit of tension as a cat agrees to be his "friend"; and wrapped up with a silly pun for the finish. The drawings are large and easy to make out from large distances, so this could be a very good book for a younger story time.
Scott Robins
Lerch is a fish in search of a new friend and while pebbles, bubbles and that undersea statuette have no interest, he eventually finds a new friend to swim, swim with. James Promios is such an underrated talent--his characters are expressive and his writing is witty, hilarious and sweet all at the same time.
☆Brittany☆
Okay so I would give this 3-4 stars but Ethan absolutely LOVED this book & one part just cracked him up SO much that after I finished reading him the book he insisted on acting the part out with me at least 5 times until I told him he had to stop, haha!
His favorite part was when Lerch met "Yummy", hahahaha!
Brandon
My kids burst out laughing every time the cat says "Lunch?". It is hard to tell what books they end up enjoying the best but this book they love. In the short time we have had it from the library they have asked to read it at least once a day.
Colette
Lurch, I mean Lunch is wonderful. Kids love the aspect of a little fish swimming around his tank looking for a friend. The bubble talk is the best part of the whole book, kids are just rolling with laughter on the floor as this book is read a loud!
Britt, Book Habitue
Aug 17, 2010 Britt, Book Habitue rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: picturebooks
Okay, so I maybe wouldn't give it 5 stars, but my kids LOVED LOVED LOVED it. So there you are.

If you read it-- don't miss the about the author stuff on the flaps (front and back). BEST part of the book!! (For me, anyway, lol.)
Angie
How fun to find this at the bookfair!

Really quite funny with very simple and colorful illustrations.

A poor little goldfish is lonely and looking for a friend. Will he find one?

PS Lerch is the name of the fish.
Arlene Allen
Sweet enough for the little ones but with enough subtle humor to engage adults. All Lerch wants is a friend but no one will talk to him until....well, find out for yourself. The illustrations just made my day.
Lindsay
A cute book about a fish who wants to make friends. Some less linguistically inclined youngsters might not get all of the verbal humor, but the illustrations are funny and the story is basic enough to understand.
Teresa Garrett
Found this in my book fair and the kids loved hearing it. Awesome way to model some fluency and prosody lessons. Good story of friendship as well.I think Scholastic should market this book more aggresively.
Shelli
Very simple, funny picture book that could be a great read aloud if read with lots of expression and funny faces. Lerch is lonely and is searching his tank for a friend; his options are very limited.
Christina Camp
This is a good picture book about a fish who is lonely and wants to make friends. It is an easy read and there are not many words on each page. I used this book as a read aloud and the kids enjoyed it a lot.
Tara
For fans of Mo Willems and his pigeon - the simple illustrations and big text is fun to read. The fish is looking for a friend and tries everything he can find. The fish reminds me of Dory from Finding Nemo.
Dolores Colarosa
Loved, loved, loved reading this book in storytime. The preschoolers were so into it and loved the "yowza" part so much that we said it every time the little fish swam! Fun, fun, cute story!
Kim
A lonely goldfish is desperate to find a friend. He searches his tank but finds no one, but a cat puts him with another fish in another tank. (the cat calls the fish Lunch and Dinner)
  • Chicken Big
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Cat Secrets
  • The Doghouse
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • A Balloon for Isabel
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers