Start by marking “Swim! Swim!” as Want to Read:
Swim! Swim!

Swim! Swim!

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  92 reviews
A snazzy story about friendship and true love! Lerch is one sassy, snazzy fish who seems to have it all: good looks, charm, a great sense of humor, and a perfect smile. But he's lonely (the bubbles and the pebbles ain't talkin'!) and wants to find a friend. But where? Then, with the help of an unexpected "admirer," Lerch meets Dinah, and it's true love from first glance.
Published July 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Swim! Swim!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swim! Swim!

The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah DiesenOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThis is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenSwimmy by Leo LionniThe Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
Picture Books About Fish
18th out of 105 books — 13 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonThe Amazing Super Great Awesome Incredible Fantastic Space Race! by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
273rd out of 538 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon Tyler
Swim! Swim! by Lerch by James Proimos is a great picturebook about a lonely fish named Lerch. He swims around his fish tank looking foe a friend. He swims, and swims, and swims, until he sees a possible friend, and then asks if the likely companion will be his friend. Sadly he does not seem to get answers. He asks the pebbles at the bottom of the tank and they ignore him, then the little scuba man with similar results. The he asks some bubbles, but they just run away and pop. A very sad Lerch th ...more
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

I don't know how I missed this book but I'm so glad my coworker found it and added it to the library order. Swim! Swim! is funny and engaging picture book that kids of all ages will enjoy. Our lonely hero Lerch is simply looking for a friend. He asked the pebbles, the sunken diver, and the bubbles from the water filter to be his friend, but they just ignored him. (He even tried talking in bubble, but to no avail.)

Just when Lerch thought it was official that nobod
Shawna Sachs
This is an awesome book. Lerch is a very lonely goldfish he just wants to make some friends in his fishtank. He asks the underwater diver but he is to doesn't want to talk to him. Then he asks the pebbles he they will be his friends but they are to shy they do not want to talk. Lerch then sees some bubbles but all they can say is "blup". Lerch tries to talk to them in their own language but somehow he frieghtens them and they are run away and then they go "pop". Next, he see a cat and the cat in ...more
Matthew
I could easily give this book to any number of my students and they would be enthralled. A year ago, Memoirs of a Goldfish was a big hit with my kids. If only I'd known about this one then. The panel style illustration and dialogue only text is pure graphic novel styling for the younger crowd. The same kids that still clamor after James Stevenson's Grandpa stories would gobble this up. Good book.
Romelle
Lerch is all alone in his fish tank. He tries desperately to make friends with the pebbles, scuba diver, and bubbles in his tank, but to no avail until he meets a cat. Everyone knows what happens when you put a cat together with a fish. Or do we? The surprise ending will give the readers a good laugh in this rollicking picture book by the fish himself- Lerch.

The first few pages falls a little flat, but as the story progresses, it becomes funnier and funnier. You can't help but pity the poor fis
Karen
There are some clever parts in this book -- especially when the fish meets the cat. Oh, and talking to bubbles -- that was pretty funny. But, as whole, this book didn't really work for me. Or my six-year-old son.

The illustrations are super cartoony, which I think makes you think that the text will be funnier than it is.
Felicia
I choose this book because it was in the graphic section and I was hoping to use it for my resource collection as well but I don't think it's necessarily a "novel." Cute little book about friendship. I wouldn't take a lot of time to read so it's a good small time filler. This book is primarily for younger kids though.
Heidi
That made me laugh, especially the pictures. Poor guy--but hilarious to see him find a friend. Still not quite sure while the cat didn't eat Lunch, and wondering just how safe Lunch and Dinner are. (The play on names was hilarious, by the way.)

Could work as a filler in storytime. Would be fun to get the kids involved in saying what Lerch does. Would the cat part confuse them, too?

Downside: One of the bubble pages was completely torn out, so I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I got the idea.

2/12
Sarah Fletcher
The message of this book is cute for little kids, showing them that when you think you are alone and have no friends you just need to broaden your horizon. However, I thought this book was dragged on for far too long.
Keyann Griffin
This is a silly book that can be used to show children how words can sound the same, but mean different things. It is also a good book to use for exploring different types of friendships.
Lauren
A picture book for independent readers, this is a cute story about how Lerch the fish manages to make a friend. With it's simple vocabulary, very funny moments of misunderstanding, and repetitive plot, this is a great one to give to fans of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.
Mary
A lonely fish is looking for a friend and has some ridiculous adventures. Bright and bold illustrations with a couple of surprises at the end make this a fun read-aloud.
Paula
Lerch the fish is lonely, and after trying to befriend some unreceptive--and inanimate--objects, he finally succeeds in finding a friend.
Jennie
A children's book about a desperately unhappy and lonely goldfish who finds a friend shortly before his untimely demise.
Carson Marie
A fun way to introduce graphic books to children with big colorful illustrations and a universal friendship theme.
Michele Stalmer
There are so many things to love about this book: the bright illustrations, the humor, and the wonderful and sweet friendship that blossoms in the end (Whew! No fish are eaten!). Great story about friendship and true love.
Nurul
A fun and engaging read about a lonely who strives to find a friend.
Holly
I had to be loud!!! This WILL be a Storytime book!!!
Juliette Molina
this is all i have to say, great humorous book!
Emily
My kid loves this book! So cute!
Cheri Linton
Loved it. Now this is true love.
Joe Palmer
Lunch and Dinner. 'Nuff said
Sandybear76
I'm at the school's book fair and I hear a couple of teachers giggling and laughing as they are reading a picture book. They asked if I read this book Swim, Swim. I hadn't read it so I did while waiting for a class to come in. This book is in cartoon illustrations and told by the fish in the bowl. He is trying to make friends with "people" in his bowl but no one is talking to him. Then the cat nabs Lerch out of the bowl and ........................................... surprise, happy, funny endin ...more
Cornelius
The book Swim! Swim! by Lerch is about a charismatic fish who is the only fish in the tank; as a result, becomes lonely. So, he goes in search for a friend. On his jouney, he asks the pebbles would they be his friend, a toy in his fish tank, and the bubbles. However, later is placed in a tank with a friend. The words in the book are big and the fish prounce different sounds of words, such as pop and blub. I would use this in the classroom to help children learn different sounds of words.
Jane G Meyer
A little bit of sarcasm, a little bit of love, a tiny speck of suspense, and a whole lot of fish bowl swimming as Lerch is on the lookout for a new friend. That's what you'll find in this new picture book by... Lerch, the goldfish.

I can see that some kids would get totally hooked on this short and colorful, cartoony book. And it wouldn't be too torturous for an adult to read it 346 times straight. (Unless the child wanted you to read every one of the 51 "Blubs" on the Bubble Talking Page.)
Kris
I've like James Proimos ever since I read "Johnny Mutton: He's So Him". Here, he lets Lerch tell his fish tale of looking for friendship in all the wrong places (the pebbles, the bubbles, the ceramic diver) until he sees a cat peering at him.
"What's your name, pal?"
"Yummy!"
"Nice name. My name is Lerch."
"Lunch?"
"No, Lerch."
"No, I think you're lunch."
Yikes! Is this the end for our lonely Lerch? To avoid spoiling the ending, I will leave you in the... dark.
Matthew
My three-year-old smiles nice and big when the two fish meet up. The author does a good job of leading the character through feelings of finding a friend. The words connected with my boy.
Elizabeth
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Chicken Big
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Cupcake