Start by marking “Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings

Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In this landmark book, Seven Stories Press presents a powerful collection of literary, philosophical, and political writings of the masked Zapatista spokesperson, Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos. Introduced by Nobel Prize winner José Saramago, and illustrated with beautiful black and white photographs, Our Word Is Our Weapon crystallizes "the passion of a rebel, the poetry ...more
Published December 5th 2000 by Seven Stories Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Our Word is Our Weapon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Word is Our Weapon

Benjamin
Tons of Marcos's strange communiques from the Lacandon Jungle, from 1994 through 2000. The first half of the book are the (for Marcos) more or less standard reports about Zapatistas actions and invitations to encuentros etc. The second half as the Don Durito the Beatle stories and the truly excellent Viejo Antonio stuff, a mix of Popul Vuh and post-everything rebellion. I wish the editors had just left everything in chronological order because reading one kind of missive for while gets a bit tir ...more
Malcolm
On New Year's Day 1995, the day the NAFTA Agreement came into force, a group of indigenous Mexicans, manly armed with wooden guns, occupied five towns in the southern state of Chiapas: they were fighting to be seen, yet their leader wore a ski mask and his face was never seen. The politics of the Zapatista rebellion (named for the national liberation leader in the early 20th century) are quite brilliant and paradoxical – a fight to be left alone, a fight to be seen, a fight to demand that Mexico ...more
Israel
Terminado de leer hace mucho, me faltaba tiempo para la reseña. Le doy 3 1/2.

El Subcomandante Marcos es el vocero y estratega de los zapatistas, un movimiento insurgente indígena basado en México, Chiapas específicamente.

En los diecisiete años que han pasado desde esa rebelión, Marcos ha alterado el curso de la política mexicana y ha surgido como un símbolo internacional de la construcción de los movimientos de base, rebelión y democracia.

"Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra", está dividido en tre
Dan
Subcomandante Marcos has a way with words. He relays his political ideology through a series of whimsical and humorous short stories and essays. He brings the real-world tragedy of a people to light, in a way that is not preaching nor heavy handed, but lyrical and beautiful. An enlightening read, and one that will change the way you look at society, and the plight of the Zapitista movement.
Br1cht
This book and the author really touched me. So if you want to read one of the most thought inducing books of the century, read this one.

The sub-commandante puts his very soul on display for all to see and even if you dont agree with his politics youll agree with his humanism.
Sparring
"dignity cannot be studied. you live it or it dies. it aches inside you and teaches you how to walk."

"everything for everyone. nothing for ourselves."
Rachel Jackson
I first heard about Subcomandante Marcos in a writing class three years ago but never got around to reading any of his publications until more recently. But once I cracked open Our Word is Our Weapon, I was hooked. Marcos writes about the history of the Zapatista National Liberation Army and the physical fights they've had to go through to get the slightest bit of attention. He writes of them being blown off or being regarded as terrorists. He tells tales of their struggles for acceptance and id ...more
Micah
"We are the end, the continuation, and the beginning. We are the mirror that is a crystal that is a mirror that is a crystal. We are rebelliousness." Wearing masks so they might have a face, going nameless so they might be known, dying in order to live . . . Upon consulting with the dead in the mountains, the Zapatistas demand everything for everyone and walk in a world with many worlds. Marcos is a master of the communique, but I probably enjoyed the stories of Old Don Antonio the most, where t ...more
Jeanne Kay
Without exageration, the one book that changed my life.
Aris Azhari
zapatista, globalisasi dunia, negara-bangsa, dan cerutu kuba.

sebuah buku dengan berbagai kisah tentang mereka yang terpinggirkan, tertekan karena pilihan, yang setia menjaga nilai-nilai warisan dari tanah kelahiran.

perjuangan tak melulu soal peluru dan senjata, selalu ada 'ruang untuk kata'.
karena bagi marcos, kata adalah sebuah senjata.

vale!
Linda
This collection of writings by the head of the Zapatista movement in Mexico tracks the growth of this important grassroots rebellion against neoliberalism. Don't expect a dry read; Subcomandante Marcos is an clear and poetic writer with an enlightening message.
Josh Hogan
Beautiful, sad, hilarious and real, all at the same time. Subcomandante Marcos and his compatriots aim to "plant the tree of tomorrow, and this book tells you exactly what they mean by that and how they are doing it.
Sps
The best kind of nonsense. Of course my East Bay leftist heart was completely won over by the politics, but really, the combination of gravity-plus-whimsy in the tales made it irresistible.
Michael
An interesting look into the man behind the Zapatista rebels in Chiapas. I read the first edition of this book, long before the Zapatista's changed their ideology to outright Marxism.
Courtney
It is a great read. His communiques are moving and passionate, and the short stories are funny, yet there is a seriousness to them. I read it in one day because I could not put it down.
pippi
it's big. real big. thus it can be a little repetitive. and i can't help it if i find subcommandante really hot.
Brook
Apr 05, 2007 Brook rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair revolutionaries
Shelves: nonfiction
A great journey through a wide variety of texts, from pirates to modern communiques.
Og
very informative, first true postmodern revolution
Nina
read The Story of Dreams by Subcomandante Marcos
Alberto
Wonderful to read women lead the revolt.
Elsie
The best. Read this if you read anything.
Anton Rifco
The war for the word has begun.
Diego
Uno de aquellos libros que te cambian.
Jarin
I Don't like it at all
Ruth
i am looking forward to this book!
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Tone
Tone marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • The Zapatista Reader
  • The Fire and the Word: A History of the Zapatista Movement
  • Faces and Masks (Memory of Fire 2)
  • Wobblies and Zapatistas: Conversations on Anarchism, Marxism and Radical History
  • The Ralph Nader Reader
  • Revolution of Everyday Life
  • Anarchy
  • Zapata and the Mexican Revolution
  • The Last Colonial Massacre: Latin America in the Cold War
  • Red Emma Speaks
  • The Heart That Bleeds: Latin America Now
  • The Subversion of Politics: European Autonomous Social Movements and the Decolonization of Everyday Life
  • The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative
  • Basta!: Land And The Zapatista Rebellion In Chiapas
  • Hugo Chavez: The Bolivarian Revolution in Venezuela
  • On Anarchism
  • Hegel, Haiti, and Universal History
  • Walking With The Comrades
Subcomandante Marcos (date of birth unknown) is the spokesperson for the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN), a Mexican rebel movement. In January 1994, he led an army of Mayan farmers into the eastern parts of the Mexican state of Chiapas in protest of the Mexican government's treatment of indigenous peoples.

Marcos is an author, political poet, adroit humorist, and outspoken opponent of
More about Subcomandante Marcos...
¡Ya Basta!: Ten Years of the Zapatista Uprising The Story of Colors/La Historia de los Colores: A Bilingual Folktale from the Jungles of Chiapas Shadows of Tender Fury Kata Adalah Senjata: Kumpulan Tulisan Terpilih 2001-2004 Conversations with Durito: The Story of Durito and the Defeat of Neo-Liberalism

“There once was a brown horse that was brown like a bean, and he lived in the home of a very poor farmer. And the poor farmer had a very poor wife, and they had a very thin chicken and a lame little pig. And so, one day the very poor farmer s wife said: We have nothing more to eat because we are very poor, so we must eat the very thin chicken. So they killed the very thin chicken and made a thin soup and ate it. And so, for a while, they were fine; but the hunger returned and the very poor farmer told his very poor wife: We have nothing more to eat because we are so poor, so we must eat the lame little pig. And so the lame little pig s turn came and they killed it and they made a lame soup and ate it. And then it was the bean-brown horse s turn. But the bean-brown horse did not wait for the story to end; it just ran away and went to another story.

Is that the end of the story? I asked Durito, unable to hide my bewilderment. Of course not. Didn't you hear me say that the bean-brown horse fled to another story? he said as he prepared to leave. And so? I ask exasperated. And so nothing you have to look for the bean-brown horse in another story! he said, adjusting his hat. But, Durito! I said, protesting uselessly. Not one more word! You tell the story like it is”
7 likes