Blank-133x176
How to Make Money in S...

William J. O'Neil

How to Make Money in Stocks : A Winning System in Good Times and Bad

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  804 ratings  ·  63 reviews
From the school of unemotional investing comes the classic How to Make Money in Stocks, by Wall Street analyst and publisher William O'Neil. Readers new to securities will find it an excellent primer, one that relies on time-honored indicators such as quarterly earnings, market capitalization, and daily indexes. O'Neil's study of winning stocks stretches back to the 1960s,...more
Kindle Edition, Fourth Edition, 464 pages
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Money in Stocks , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make Money in Stocks

Jim
Horrible book filled with useless garbage and nonsense. Basically, a get rich quick by using my subscribing to my website scam. Author's technical investing strategies are presented in a very non-rigorous and non-compelling manner. He uses examples but any idiot can cherry pick a few examples to prove a point. That does not make a convincing argument.

I could belabor my point with more examples but instead I recommend 2 much more insightful and informative books on investing: The Warren Buffet W...more
Curtis
Oct 20, 2008 Curtis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Curtis by: Dave Maddock
I've read a few investment books, and this is the most comprehensive system I've found for determining when EXACTLY to enter and exit positions. The consistent, unemotional method that O'Neil provides has helped me immensely in thinking about and executing my investing strategies.
Matt
William O'Neil's book made me want to give up fantasy sports and take up investing. It seems like the time I spend reviewing an athlete's past performance and projecting future ones could be better spent on researching stocks, something that could actually make me money and possibly provide a similar stimulation.

How to Make Money in Stocks teaches readers how to identify good companies that are about to become great and then how to determine if and when to buy their stock. The mnemonic CAN SLIM...more
JP
The foundation of this classic by William O'Neil is his CANSLIM framework. He adds a richness of other ideas, including learning when to buy, when to sell, and how to develop your own style. The book is also filled with charts throughout, such that you sometimes need set it aside and return later with fresh eyes. The 4th edition includes data back into the 19th century all the way through the 2008 financial crisis. I'm glad I took the recommendation for this book made to me by a master technicia...more
Michael
I traded the O'Neil CANSLIM method covered in this book for about 8% a month 10 years ago. Having daytraded for 2.5 years in recent years, I probably wouldn't be comfortable trading this method during the current economic situation.

The CANSLIM is great for finding quality stocks. One could apply it to a shorter time frame than suggested in the book and still be trading a strong stock, which of course gives you greater chances for a successful trade. Sounds simple doesn't it. Ha!
Wayne
Overall I think that the author has some good information that he is strying to get across, but unfortunately I felt that his writing and education style was poor. For a subject that I generally find very interesting, it was a dry book that I was definitely ready to put down once I reached the end. This is more of a reflection of his presentation of the information rather than is message.
aldo
seems still relevan to use in stock market including jakarta composite.CAN SLIM is powerful strategy for picking the best stock
Raphael
I mostly read biographies and other non fiction. Even so this was a hard read for me because it was packed with theories and data or history to back it up. Maybe a few personal stories here and there(I read those faster). I had this book in my house for a while but didn't realize it was a classic until I read Michael Lewis's The Big Short, and found one of the people who saw the crash coming(and made 100+million off of it) had been using this method as a guide along with other sets of strategies...more
Ryan
Worth your time if you’ve learned the basics of investing and want to go a little deeper. O’Neil’s philosophy revolves around identifying strong companies in leading industries, and buying them at the right point in time. The idea is that anyone can do well in a bull market (1982-2000, 2003-2008), but you can do better with a portfolio of market leaders. Even if they seem expensive at first glance -- once-costly stocks like Apple, after all, went on to far greater highs. O’Neil’s CANSLIM strateg...more
Loren
Oct 15, 2010 Loren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: money
This was really rough at first and I hated it, mostly because I couldn't understand a damned thing I was reading. The very first 100 pages are stock charts...with no narrative. Even though my interest went up as I continued through the book, this beginning was very frustrating. One of the first things I learned in my science and math classes was how to properly label and display graphs, so that anyone looking at them can understand what the relationships are. I realize that in the world of stock...more
Robin
As a 'value investor' with my own personal investments, I think there's a lot of useful information in the can slim method--particularly for determining *when* to buy and sell. The problem that I have with this book is that unless you subscribe to the Investors Business Daily, it's difficult to find all the data required by the can slim method elsewhere.
Adam
I seldom ever made a dime trading stocks until I learned O'Neil's CAN SLIM system. If you're looking to set aside everything you know about investing or get started invested, I would highly recommend adding this book to your library. It's a great strategy that has been proven to help you apply hard facts to your research rather than relying on hunches. The system also has sound logic and structure behind it whereas most investment books tend to be more grounded in talk and less on action.
Rick Mccaffrey
You have to give up all value investing concepts you've learned for years. This book won't have too much value unless you also subscribe to the Investor Business Daily, his paper.

Jose Taveras
All wiliam's books are based on his approach to his stop losses and take profits. His can slim system works also the way he explains how he started out is very inspiring.
Grazyna Nawrocka
It is a very concise and hard to read book that requires focus and attention. I had love/hate relationship with it. It took me a few months to get through it (the first time). The book questions old belief in buying cheap and selling expensive. Mr. O'Neil attempts to teach intuitive interpretation of charts, and shares from the wealth of his experience and knowledge. I wish I could learn from the less demanding source. Although main target audience for the book are speculators who want to commit...more
K. E. Hawkins
This book is a classic for investing in individual stocks and understanding stock market charts. His research is not based on personal opinion, but historical data of winning stocks over decades. His book is written to educate the reader to allow personal analyzes of market conditions and stock performance along with correct timing techniques and guarding against heavy loses.

A great deal of information and it will probably need to be reread a few times to absorb it all. But, the information is h...more
Mido Gamal
ﻛﺘﺎﺏ ﺍﻛﺜﺮ من
James Miller
Althogh O'neil denies it, he is a momentum trader - just a very good one. Some of the technical analysis stuff in the book was a little bit over the top in my opinion. But other strategies like only buying stocks with 3 consecutive quarters of high EPS growth make a lot of sense. O'neil also bashes on value investing. Overall, this book is not very good if you don't know anything about investing, but great if u are looking to add a little edge to your strategy.

Ardi Nursyamsu
It's a good companion after you finished some of Market Wizard series.
Coral
I'm taking a personal finance class and this is one of the text books. So far, it's interesting and written for someone who has only a small amount of knowledge about the stock market (i.e., myself).

So...given that I had the highest bank account value in my class's stock simulation project, I guess the lessons in this book proved themselves. Definitely not the most interesting book, but written pretty clear and to the point.
Luke
This book is an excellent foundation for understanding the stock market. Bill O'Neil does a great job explaining why it is possible to make money by investing and/or trading stocks. His CAN SLIM methodology focuses on using historical studies to find chart patterns of fundamentally strong companies. These chart patterns are based on human psychology, which does not change and affects crowd behavior.
Brendan
Contains some good and useful information about the stock market. It also offers a strategy to beat the market but for the amount of good information in this book there is a ton more useless garbage. This book seemed more about promoting InvestorsBusinessDaily.com than giving you any real advice. It also reads like a textbook so needless to say it takes a while to get through.
Karen
Jun 22, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read
Again, saw this at the library. It looked good. The guy who wrote this is the founder of Investor's Business Daily. I skimmed through the book and he was identifying what things meant (e.g. PER) and talking about how we are not looking at the right things or making the right interpretations. Anyhow this looked really good!
Moss
This is the best how-to book on stock gambling I've ever read. Using O'Neil's principles, I ran $10,000 up to a quarter of a million in about 2 years, but then violated his most important rule about cutting short my losses, and gave it all back. Now I'm selling StreetWise outside a Walgreens in Chicago. But I'll be back!
Anthony
Jan 07, 2008 Anthony rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in momentum investing
Excellent book highlighting the CANSLIM method for picking stocks. It essentially shows what various stocks that have previously skyrocked have in common and gives the reader a guideline to pick other potential stocks. Geared not toward the value invester, but toward the momentum investor who is thinking more short term.
Alo
Superb book about stock market trading. Strongly recommended reading to everyone whether you're investing regularly, having a pension fund or considering some new business. The concepts and psychology outlined in this book applies to a large variety of topics, not just stock markets.
Selma Siahaan
Very good book for learning stocks. If we read carefully, learn to understand the contents and trying to implement them, we would have much chance the possibilities to win the stock trading. At least we would only get little loss when the situation against us.
Joseph
i really like this book as it gives a brief overview and a proven framework ( marrying technical and fundamental analysis) in an elegant manner. regretted didnt read it earlier. changed the way i trade shares and will be a more informed investor now and in the future
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Feb 28, 2010 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: investors
Shelves: 2010, investing
This updates instructions for how to use the new format of the Investor's Business Daily newspaper and its investors.com website. There are some subtle changes between the 3rd edition and this edition so it is worth reading this edition too.
Jeremy Raper
even for those involved with stocks, I would avoid. It is purely technical in nature (ie, charting) and basically tries to sell you on subscribing to the newspaper Investors Business Daily. I didnt take anything useful from reading it.
How to pick hot stocks 2 10 Nov 01, 2013 05:05PM
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • Beating the Street
  • Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets
  • Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
  • Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market
  • Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
  • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline, and a Winning Attitude
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • The Little Book That Still Beats the Market
  • Your Money and Your Brain: How the New Science of Neuroeconomics Can Help Make You Rich
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • Security Analysis: Principles and Technique
  • Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
William J. O'Neil is a stock trader, entrepreneur and writer, who founded the business newspaper Investor's Business Daily and the stock brokerage firm William O'Neil & Co. Inc. He is the creator of the CAN SLIM investment strategy.

He studied business at Southern Methodist University, received a Bachelor's degree and served in the United States Air Force.
More about William J. O'Neil...
24 Essential Lessons for Investment Success: Learn the Most Important Investment Techniques from the Founder of Investor's Business Daily The Successful Investor: What 80 Million People Need to Know to Invest Profitably and Avoid Big Losses The How to Make Money in Stocks Complete Investing System: Your Ultimate Guide to Winning in Good Times and Bad Business Leaders & Success: 55 Top Business Leaders & How They Achieved Greatness How to Make Money Selling Stocks Short (Wiley Trading)