Start by marking “Wounded Prophet” as Want to Read:
Wounded Prophet

Wounded Prophet

Henri Nouwen was one of the most prolific and popular spiritual writers of recent times. His many books include 'The Wounded Healer' and 'The Genesee Diary'. This book offers a sympathetic view of Nouwen's life.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wounded Prophet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wounded Prophet

Mark
This is another instance for me of the curse of Bette Davis. When you read a study or biography or reflection on the work/oeuvre/output of an individual and your admiration for their skill in their chosen field is heightened but conversely your attraction towards them as a person seems somehow lessened.

Michael Ford has written a very lucid and easy to read reflection on the amazing life and outpouring of thought of Nouwen, this man who has inspired and reinvigorated the spiritual lives and hopes
Joy Matteson
After having read at least 75% of Nouwen's incredible books, all of which have moved me immensely from one degree to another, I decided to give his post-humous biography a try. I was not disappointed--Mr. Ford tells Nouwen's life story with humility and love. He does not elevate Henri to an iconic pedestal, although many have been tempted to do so, myself included. His greatest gift was in his shared woundedness and vulnerability to others. Ironically, his closest relationships suffered from a l ...more
Wade
Though the part of this biography that probably garnered the most attention was the matter of fact statement of Nouwen's homosexuality, the greater theme of the biography was his struggle with true intimacy in human relationships. I thought that it there were interesting observations about the myriad extenuating circumstances that made this such a central problem for Nouwen: his role as a priest with its calls to 'self-availability' and celibacy, his fame and the connections that were perceived ...more
Veronica Zundel
Aug 06, 2011 Veronica Zundel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henri Nouwen's writings have inspired millions, but many are also aware of his internal struggles and contradictions. Ford's biography, the first word on Nouwen's life, shows us a man in love with a vision of life which he was rarely able to live in practice. For a spiritual writer, the disjunction between what one writes about and how far one lives it out, is always a source of disquiet. Yet Nouwen's very success in opening the eyes of others to a deeper experience of God, is an encouragement e ...more
Jack Kooyman
Aug 05, 2011 Jack Kooyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this "portrait" of Nouwen and learning about some of his lifelong struggles with some of his personal demons, I gained a new appreciation for this very human person. If you're not prepared to learn about his shortcomings and struggles as a fellow brother in Christ on this earthly journey, I suggest reading it nonetheless. In many ways, Nouwen was simply another broken and sinful human in need of God's loving grace and healing. The beauty here, in my opinion, is that God chooses to ...more
Melanie
Jan 01, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an intimate look at the life of Henri Nouwen, an inspirational and intriguing--but clearly tortured--person whose writings on spirituality continue to be influential. Very interesting.
Philippe Lazaro
"There was never any question in my own mind of the gifts which Henri Nouwen offered to his readers as a direct result of his own personal human-ness; his own imperfections -- his woundedness."

–Michael Ford

A friend gave this to me. I wish I had read something directly by Nouwen before reading this writeup of his life. I feel like that would have allowed me to appreciate it a little bit more.

Interesting picture painted of Nouwen as a complex but endearing writer, imperfect but a true source of en
Anthony Wick
Jan 05, 2017 Anthony Wick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book about a wonderful man. Henri Nouwen lived within the tension that was faith, and was able to bring people into the presence of God through his life and writings. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves his books or who want to know more about him. His witness to Christ is something we desperately need today.
Jamie Howison
Aug 30, 2016 Jamie Howison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good and sometimes unsettling biography of Nouwen. Read his books, and you see what he longed for. Read this biography, and you get a sense of where his longing came from. In the end, though, it is an encouraging book for anyone in ministry of any kind. You're reminded that good things can be offered by wounded people.
Sandy
Feb 15, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, memoir-bio
This is a nice biography of Henri Nouwen. Nouwen was a Catholic priest whose prolific writings are popular devotionals. Nouwen always struggled with finding himself and the book talks about his struggle with homosexuality, particularly at the end of his life. This is a man who had a big heart and the book does a good job of capturing his complexity.
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
John Ham
John Ham rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Calvin Habig
Calvin Habig rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Luke Hillier
Luke Hillier rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Jason Lyle
Jason Lyle rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
T.M. Williams
T.M. Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Dwight Lacy
Dwight Lacy rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2016
Zheluo Cai
Zheluo Cai rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Eclecticity
Eclecticity rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Jeremy Allen
Jeremy Allen rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2013
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Jacklyn
Jacklyn rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Carolyn Kreuger
Carolyn Kreuger rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Sharon Lovoy
Sharon Lovoy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Generous Spaciousness: Responding to Gay Christians in the Church
  • Spiritual Friendship: Finding Love in the Church as a Celibate Gay Christian
  • Consider the Birds: A Provocative Guide to Birds of the Bible
  • Bible, Gender, Sexuality: Reframing the Church's Debate on Same-Sex Relationships
  • From Brokenness to Community
  • Reaching Out: The Three Movements of the Spiritual Life
  • The Sign of Jonas
  • Angel
  • Strange Glory: A Life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Love Undetectable: Notes on Friendship, Sex, and Survival
  • Redeeming Singleness: How the Storyline of Scripture Affirms the Single Life
  • Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Dorothy Day: A Radical Devotion
  • Maurice and Therese: The Story of a Love
  • When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God
Michael Ford is a journalist and broadcaster. Before joining the BBC as a religious affairs producer, he studied theology at the University of Bristol in England. He currently resides in England, where he is pursuing a doctoral degree in Henri Nouwen's spirituality.

Librarian's Note: There are authors with similar names on Goodreads.
Michael Ford - Fiction (The Poisoned House, Spartan Warriors Serie
More about Michael Ford...