Start by marking “Lyra's Oxford” as Want to Read:
Lyra's Oxford

Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials #3.5)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,420 Ratings  ·  618 Reviews
Lyra's Oxford begins with Lyra and Pantalaimon spotting a witch's daemon. Lyra shelters the daemon from the pursuit of a frenzied pack of birds, and then attempts to help by guiding the daemon to the home of an alchemist living in a part of Oxford known as Jericho. The journey through Oxford reveals more dangers than Lyra had anticipated.
Published January 21st 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lyra's Oxford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lyra's Oxford

mark monday
"Everything means something," Lyra said severely. "We just have to find out how to read it."

Lyra the little liar is back in full force. she gets to use her special power of super-lying at least twice, so it's clear that despite the amazing and horrible and life-changing adventures of the preceding trilogy, some things will never change. a witch and an alchemist cameo, and naturally her daemon Pantalaimon remains by her side. all is well in Golden Compass Land, at least for this reader. things ar
Antonio
Lyra y Pantalaimon están de vuelta en su Oxford natal con una nueva aventura, con brujas, alquimistas y por supuesto Daimonions.

Me gusto esta pequeña historia, pero tiene el problema, de que deja más preguntas que respuestas, es como el primer episodio de una serie, que sabes que podría llegar a gustarte mucho, porque tiene las cosas que ti te gustan, pero, por ser solo el principio quedas algo perdido en la trama y quieres saber más, mucho más.

Así me encantaría que Pullman desarrollara mas est
Kirstine
Nov 14, 2015 Kirstine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own, reviewed, 1-men
Is there such a thing as literary roots? If so, this series is part of mine.

This particular story is an easy, short and very enjoyable read - that is, if you've formerly enjoyed His Dark Materials books (and why wouldn't you have? they're fantastic).

Perhaps this short story (novella?) isn't deserving of 4 stars in itself, but it filled me with nostalgic longing and I was reminded of the immense love I have for this series and how much it still means to me. We forget these things sometimes, bec
Shovelmonkey1
Phillip Pullman lite. Treat either as an amuse bouche for those who are yet to read His Dark Materials but want a little hint of the tone and content of the sub-oxfordian world of little girls and their daemons or, for those au fait with the excellent His Dark Materials trilogy this is a little unexpected extra.

A short story complete with pages of ephemera and published to look a little like an old skool Baedecker guide, the look of the thing is perhaps more of a joy than the short story but, as
Andrew
Oct 31, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a strange little book, basically a beautifully bound short story set in the world of "His Dark Materials" and amongst the sleeping spires of Oxford, Lyra's Oxford that is.

The book I will admit was picked up on my travels and at a fraction of the cost (I would have baulked at the idea of paying what it was listed at) anyway the book really is just a short story however there is a sub-text "everything has a story to tell" which helps put a interesting twist to the book. The introduction o
Rhys Thomas
Mar 02, 2011 Rhys Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this little delight in a charity shop the other day and read it on my commute today (it’s quite short). I loved the Dark Materials trilogy, and have a special affinity with Northern Lights because I bought it after quitting my job at British Gas (I walked out and didn’t go back) before taking it to the roof garden café of David Morgans where I stayed reading it until 8 o’clock at night.

I started reading this story and it didn’t take me long to remember how magical the first books were. I
Maciek
Lyra's Oxford is a small publication, a short story essentially, which can be easily read in one sitting. It is after the events of His Dark Materials trilogy and features the familiar duo of Lyra Silvertongue and her daemon, Pantalaimon. Both are stationed at Oxford, when a witch's daemon arrives, begging Lyra to help him find a person who's unknown to her...

To say more would spoil the book, since it is so very short. And that's my complain. While it is certainly enjoyable, and Pullman's writin
Young Lightning in Dark Sky
Aug 04, 2009 Young Lightning in Dark Sky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Philip Pullman/Neil Gaiman, and want a quick read
Recommended to Young Lightning in Dark Sky by: Becca
This was a very quick read-sixty pages at the most, though I'm not sure, and I knocked it out in about half an hour. This one will surely be a re-read though-I was doing some extreme multitasking.
Philip Pullman's writing style draws me in, and envelopes me in worlds that no other author aside from Neil Gaiman can seem to put me in. The dark illustrations really iced this chocolate cake, and I found this book full of plot, with characters full of unique personalities, interesting scenes, and the
John
Mar 06, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick glimpse back into the world of His Dark Materials. No need for a book mark, this can be achieved in one sitting.

I really liked this book, short as it was, though I know many didn't. They expected Lyra to have gone unchanged over the two years since her last adventure. But even in the final book of the trilogy, she'd changed. She'd lost some of her abilities as she matured. So I didn't expect anything less.

It still amazes me that Pullman knows his world so well that he throws in the most
Shannon
Jun 16, 2007 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate when authors don't know when to end something. His Dark Materials trilogy is OVER. We get that you're a sell-out, Philip Pullman (judging by the movie previews.. oh man).. just leave it alone. You wrote some great books. Now hush.
Simon
Oct 22, 2011 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only Pullman / HDM fans
Shelves: kindle-books, fantasy
The main problem with this book is the issue of EXPECTATIONS.

If you read and liked His Dark Materials, you expect something good, even though it's a short story, you expect Lyra's Oxford to provide some kind of additional insight, some kind of additional information, or, at the least, to describe Lyra and Oxford 2 years since the events of The Amber Spyglass.

None of that happens. This is basically a novella, a short story that was written, it seems, to allow Pullman to make a bit more money off
Joana
You may recall Lyra from the His Dark Materials trilogy or from another post I made regarding the best female literature characters of all time. This small book is intended to be a small sequel to that series that marked my childhood so intensely. I greatly recommend HDM as a young-adult read, as well, for it tackles important subjects such as theology, ethics and alchemy. Moreover it explores the theory of parallel universes and fuses fantasy with science fiction in a mesmerizing way. So when I ...more
Debbie
Feb 13, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of His Dark Materials
Lyra's Oxford is a short story that continues, albeit briefly, Lyra's adventures. A map of Lyra's Oxford, a cruise brochure, and a postcard from Mary Malone are also included. In the introduction, Pullman writes that these items "...might be connected with the story, or they might not; they might be connected to stories that haven’t appeared yet. It's difficult to tell."

A witch's daemon named Ragi is being attacked by birds when he is rescued by Lyra and Pan. The daemon begs Lyra to take him to
Derek
Lyra and Pan are settled in Jordan College, and life's mundane, but good, until one afternoon they see a flock of starlings attack a witch's daemon. They save the daemon, who professes to them that he's looking for a Mr. Makepeace, an uncanny alchemist who has a golden elixir that will save the life of his dying witch. Lyra and Pan devise to help the daemon, little do they know that it's a trap.

This was all in all, quite enjoyable. A nice slice of nostalgia for all the fun I had reading His Dar
Thibaut Nicodème
It's not a bad continuation, but also…not very interesting. Not much of a point to it, and it raises more questions than answers.

And what's the deal with Lyra going "Be like Will"? Like she can't be brave on her own anymore?
Craig
The world created in His Dark Materials could be home to some great short stories, unfortunately Lyra’s Oxford isn’t one of them. Ignoring the fact the book 40 page* book and costs the same amount as The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, nothing really interesting happens. Philip Pullman introduced just enough new things to make people feel compelled to read it before his starting his upcoming The Book of Dust. Lyra’s Oxford isn’t bad it is just really unsatisfying and doe ...more
Coralie
Nov 24, 2014 Coralie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Aah it makes me want to live in Oxford, or at least to visit it again with the story in mind!
This really thin book is a nice little story but I think the "plot" is more of a pretext to give the reader a tour of Lyra's Oxford. It isn't supposed to be a real sequel to His Dark Materials (this would be much more ambitious and risky...), but I enjoyed it. I like the map and other little additions, especially the postcard, because there are some important spots for Lyra and Will on it...
I miss them.
betsy
May 06, 2016 betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have listened to this as an audiobook three or four times over, and I only decided to buy the physical book the other day. it is only short - took me about 20 minutes to read, but it has that feeling to it, the one that's distinct and very Pullmanesque. I felt as though I was visiting jordan college and meeting lyra and pan for the first time. it has the same magic to it, the same thing about it that grips you and takes you with it, although I'm fairly sure at this point I'd give pullman's sho ...more
Dan. Thompson
There is nothing wrong with Philip Pullman's Lyra's Oxford - it is a competent little side story about Lyra a little older than we see her in His Dark Materials, and her discovery about the misbehaviour of some birds. It was delightful to read some of her character in a more mature frame of mind, albeit the rebelliousness is still evidently, thankfully.

The addition of a beautiful map of Lyra's Oxford, as well as a postcard from Mary is a nice touch. Although I'm not quite sure what the brochure
Robin
May 28, 2016 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute, but... no substance and lacking all the depth and sweeping adventure of His Dark Materials. I really like the map. But then I fell asleep.
Darth J
Jun 28, 2013 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Was it just me, or did Lyra's Oxford look a bit like Hogwarts? They were filmed at the same location? What? Madness, I say. Madness!
Hollie Ruthless
Jul 14, 2015 Hollie Ruthless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to be back with Lyra and Pan! This story was WAY too short. Not a lot of backstory or setup involved, but it wasn't meant to be a full story. Just a fun little "day in the life" of someone who had unspeakable adventures just a few years before. It feels so weird to hear about her average life after everything she has been through, but it also goes to show that just because the war is done, does not mean she is safe. Boy, do I miss the alethiometer, though! I think that Lyra losing the ...more
Táranis
Jul 18, 2016 Táranis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un pequeño regalo de Philip Pullman, que encantará a quienes disfrutasen con la trilogía La Materia Oscura. La acción transcurre en el Oxford natal de Lyra, protagonista de Luces Del Norte, La Daga y El Catalejo Lacado, unos años después del desenlace de dicha trilogía. Así somos testigos de una nueva aventura, que se inicia cuando Lyra y su daimonion, Pantalaimon, observan el extraño comportamiento de unas aves...

Esto proporciona la excusa perfecta para adentrarnos en ese Oxford del mundo de Ly
Felix
Jan 20, 2012 Felix rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
German edition – German review:

Es handelt sich um eine kleine Kurzgeschichte, die einige Jahre nach dem Ende der His Dark Materials-Trilogie spielt und eine weiteres Abenteuer von Lyra erzählt. Beigefügt sind eine fiktive Postkarte, eine Werbeanzeige für eine Kreuzfahrt und ein Stadtplan von Lyras Oxford.

Die Kurzgeschichte ist zwar ganz nett, gibt jedoch wenig Neues her. Weder ist Lyras Figur wesentlich weiterentwickelt worden noch erfahren wir wirklich mehr über Lyras Welt. Die Handlung ist ab
Kate
May 11, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
When I finish a good book, it can take ages for me to stop thinking about a character, a scene, a feeling I got from the book. After consuming the His Dark Materials trilogy in the span of only a few weeks, I was a little fixated on Lyra.

Lyra had courage and an adventurous spirit that I admired. My husband is reading The Golden Compass now and I am truly jealous of him as he gets to meet Lyra for the first time. And if I haven't been able to shake Lyra, what of the author, Philip Pullman?

When
Matthew Hunter
Sep 16, 2013 Matthew Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
"Everything has a meaning, if only we could read it."

I knew nothing of this book other than the obvious connection to Pullman's His Dark Materials universe. I was surprised how eager I was to reconnect with Lyra and Pantalaimon! I've missed them so since I completed the trilogy.

Does everything really have meaning? Is the universe pregnant with significance? I think so. But it's still somewhat surprising to hear such almost-mystical ideas from strident atheist Philip Pullman. His description of a
Kerry
Oct 16, 2012 Kerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 5, 2006
I've given this a mediocre rating. It was a nice little story about Lyra and Pan, but didn't feel particularly necessary. Either there's very little substance here, or Pullman is being so clever (and the included postcard, maps etc etc certainly imply he's trying to be clever) that I don't get it. I'm left feeling a bit disappointed, stupid or possibly both.

I liked the story about Lyra, but the thing we learned from this short tale doesn't seem worth the effort. Yes, it might be important, but
Skwerlie
Aug 06, 2007 Skwerlie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the His Dark Materials trilogy, it is one of my favourite book series ever. When I heard that there was a short story that follows the series, I was really excited and checked it out from the local library.... ugh. I really disliked the story, wish I had never read it- I felt like it took the character I'd loved through 3 books and ripped off all the interesting bits so that she was an ordinary and unexciting teenaged girl. Where was the Lyra from the earlier triology? I certainly didn't ...more
Cassi
Dec 31, 2015 Cassi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
Well now I want a full length sequel to the His Dark Materials trilogy. There's a reason I don't usually read novellas, they're such a tease.

This was just the tiniest taste of life for Lyra after the events of the main trilogy. Things haven't totally slowed down for her and if this brief story is any indications. There's a lot of mystery and a little action show her at school studying and being the same old Lyra.

It was so great to catch up with Lyra and see her slightly older but I want more. I
Leslie Ann
Mar 03, 2016 Leslie Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A lovely story that requires few memories of His Dark Materials (Lyra, Will, daemons). The novella reminds me of Pullman's skill as a storyteller, but I'm giving an extra star for the attached artifacts (e.g., map, postcard, travel brochure) which tempt the reader to make more meaning. Pullman clearly enjoyed creating them, and I loved them as well.
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • The Jellyfish Season
  • The Art of Faery
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • The Science of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • A Bridge to the Stars
  • The Art of Amy Brown II
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Alis
  • The Boyfriend Game (Sweet Valley Twins, #113)
  • The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • Superflirt
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...

His Dark Materials (3 books)
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)

“Everything means something.” 26 likes