Lyra's Oxford

Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials #3.5)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  10,421 ratings  ·  492 reviews
Lyra's Oxford begins with Lyra and Pantalaimon spotting a witch's daemon. Lyra shelters the daemon from the pursuit of a frenzied pack of birds, and then attempts to help by guiding the daemon to the home of an alchemist living in a part of Oxford known as Jericho. The journey through Oxford reveals more dangers than Lyra had anticipated.
Published January 21st 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lyra's Oxford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lyra's Oxford

mark monday
"Everything means something," Lyra said severely. "We just have to find out how to read it."

Lyra the little liar is back in full force. she gets to use her special power of super-lying at least twice, so it's clear that despite the amazing and horrible and life-changing adventures of the preceding trilogy, some things will never change. a witch and an alchemist cameo, and naturally her daemon Pantalaimon remains by her side. all is well in Golden Compass Land, at least for this reader. things ar...more
Shovelmonkey1
Phillip Pullman lite. Treat either as an amuse bouche for those who are yet to read His Dark Materials but want a little hint of the tone and content of the sub-oxfordian world of little girls and their daemons or, for those au fait with the excellent His Dark Materials trilogy this is a little unexpected extra.

A short story complete with pages of ephemera and published to look a little like an old skool Baedecker guide, the look of the thing is perhaps more of a joy than the short story but, as...more
Kirstine
Is there such a thing as literary roots? If so, this series is part of mine.

This particular story is an easy, short and very enjoyable read - that is, if you've formerly enjoyed His Dark Materials books (and why wouldn't you have? they're fantastic).

Perhaps this short story (novella?) isn't deserving of 4 stars in itself, but it filled me with nostalgic longing and I was reminded of the immense love I have for this series and how much it still means to me. We forget these things sometimes, bec...more
Maciek
Lyra's Oxford is a small publication, a short story essentially, which can be easily read in one sitting. It is after the events of His Dark Materials trilogy and features the familiar duo of Lyra Silvertongue and her daemon, Pantalaimon. Both are stationed at Oxford, when a witch's daemon arrives, begging Lyra to help him find a person who's unknown to her...

To say more would spoil the book, since it is so very short. And that's my complain. While it is certainly enjoyable, and Pullman's writin...more
Rhys Thomas
I found this little delight in a charity shop the other day and read it on my commute today (it’s quite short). I loved the Dark Materials trilogy, and have a special affinity with Northern Lights because I bought it after quitting my job at British Gas (I walked out and didn’t go back) before taking it to the roof garden café of David Morgans where I stayed reading it until 8 o’clock at night.

I started reading this story and it didn’t take me long to remember how magical the first books were. I...more
John
A quick glimpse back into the world of His Dark Materials. No need for a book mark, this can be achieved in one sitting.

I really liked this book, short as it was, though I know many didn't. They expected Lyra to have gone unchanged over the two years since her last adventure. But even in the final book of the trilogy, she'd changed. She'd lost some of her abilities as she matured. So I didn't expect anything less.

It still amazes me that Pullman knows his world so well that he throws in the most...more
Simon
Oct 22, 2011 Simon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only Pullman / HDM fans
Shelves: kindle-books, fantasy
The main problem with this book is the issue of EXPECTATIONS.

If you read and liked His Dark Materials, you expect something good, even though it's a short story, you expect Lyra's Oxford to provide some kind of additional insight, some kind of additional information, or, at the least, to describe Lyra and Oxford 2 years since the events of The Amber Spyglass.

None of that happens. This is basically a novella, a short story that was written, it seems, to allow Pullman to make a bit more money off...more
Debbie
Feb 13, 2008 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of His Dark Materials
Lyra's Oxford is a short story that continues, albeit briefly, Lyra's adventures. A map of Lyra's Oxford, a cruise brochure, and a postcard from Mary Malone are also included. In the introduction, Pullman writes that these items "...might be connected with the story, or they might not; they might be connected to stories that haven’t appeared yet. It's difficult to tell."

A witch's daemon named Ragi is being attacked by birds when he is rescued by Lyra and Pan. The daemon begs Lyra to take him to...more
Shannon
I hate when authors don't know when to end something. His Dark Materials trilogy is OVER. We get that you're a sell-out, Philip Pullman (judging by the movie previews.. oh man).. just leave it alone. You wrote some great books. Now hush.
Young Lightning in Dark Sky
Aug 04, 2009 Young Lightning in Dark Sky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Philip Pullman/Neil Gaiman, and want a quick read
Recommended to Young Lightning in Dark Sky by: Becca
This was a very quick read-sixty pages at the most, though I'm not sure, and I knocked it out in about half an hour. This one will surely be a re-read though-I was doing some extreme multitasking.
Philip Pullman's writing style draws me in, and envelopes me in worlds that no other author aside from Neil Gaiman can seem to put me in. The dark illustrations really iced this chocolate cake, and I found this book full of plot, with characters full of unique personalities, interesting scenes, and the...more
Kate
When I finish a good book, it can take ages for me to stop thinking about a character, a scene, a feeling I got from the book. After consuming the His Dark Materials trilogy in the span of only a few weeks, I was a little fixated on Lyra.

Lyra had courage and an adventurous spirit that I admired. My husband is reading The Golden Compass now and I am truly jealous of him as he gets to meet Lyra for the first time. And if I haven't been able to shake Lyra, what of the author, Philip Pullman?

When...more
Matthew Hunter
"Everything has a meaning, if only we could read it."

I knew nothing of this book other than the obvious connection to Pullman's His Dark Materials universe. I was surprised how eager I was to reconnect with Lyra and Pantalaimon! I've missed them so since I completed the trilogy.

Does everything really have meaning? Is the universe pregnant with significance? I think so. But it's still somewhat surprising to hear such almost-mystical ideas from strident atheist Philip Pullman. His description of a...more
Joana
You may recall Lyra from the His Dark Materials trilogy or from another post I made regarding the best female literature characters of all time. This small book is intended to be a small sequel to that series that marked my childhood so intensely. I greatly recommend HDM as a young-adult read, as well, for it tackles important subjects such as theology, ethics and alchemy. Moreover it explores the theory of parallel universes and fuses fantasy with science fiction in a mesmerizing way. So when I...more
Italo André Oliveira
Este livro é uma pequena e simples história protagonizada por Lyra e Pan. E Lyra foi uma personagem que deixou saudades! Se você gostou dos três principais livros de Fronteiras do Universo, provavelmente vai gostar deste livro. Mas tenha em mente a simplicidade do livro. Não espere uma continuação de A Luneta Âmbar nem nada grandioso. Este livro está mais para um colecionável. Ou como passei a vê-lo, um pequeno presente para aqueles que sentem falta da Lyra da Lingua Mágica.

O livro acontece dois...more
Amy
Another short story based around His Dark Materials.

The events in this book occur after those in the final part of HDM, The Amber Spyglass.

The story is only around 100 pages long but still managed to help me reminisce over the stories I loved as a child.

Lyra is back in Oxford with her Daemon Pan, they go on a little adventure around Oxford in the hopes of helping a witch who is apparently very sick but come the end we find this is not the case.

A truly delightful addition to Philip Pullman's Hi...more
Ian Roditi
¿Qué fue de Lyra dos años después de la trilogía de La Materia Oscura? ¿Por qué una bruja la busca para salvar su vida?

Está tan bonito que se merecía unas páginas más. Aunque así, cortito, muy cortito, también está bien.

Siempre me han gustado las historias cortas que los autores escriben, sobre años después de que sus personajes sobrevivieron a la gran travesía a la que se enfrentaron.

Ésta, sin embargo, no sólo es eso.
Es entender que cuando logras pertenecer, incluso hasta tu misma historia te...more
Timothy Morrow
Once I finished "His Dark Materials," I wanted more. Through research I discovered this small novel. I was hesitant to buy it because I didn't want to be disappointed. I forgot about it for a few years, and during Spring Break, I found a copy.

The writing was exactly the same as the trilogy. It was nice to familiarize myself with Pullman's style once more. His personal perspective in a dark spotlight was very entertaining. Reintroducing myself with the characters I loved was refreshing.

My only...more
Izzy
Oh this book was so sweet and clever and tiny and philosophical.

It was a pretty basic story, really, but it had a nice little author's note from Philip Pullman that was really interesting and loads of random little maps and things and also contained a sentence which broke my heart:

"Since she and Will had parted two years before, the slightest thing had the power to move her to pity and distress; it felt as if her heart was bruised forever."

*loud sobbing*
Katie
I loved this but it was too short! I literally just finished The Amber Spyglass and I'm longing for more of that universe. I wish Pullman would write more books about Lyra and Will. Also, I wasn't really sure what kind of puzzle I was supposed to figure out with this, maybe I'm too dense.
Stephany

Lyra's Oxford takes place two years after the events of The Amber Spyglass and is the story of a witch's dæmon asking Lyra's help in finding an alchemist. I enjoyed the theme of reading meaning into one's experiences, and the way Pullman presented that theme in the end of the story was very sweet. I found myself disappointed, however, with the reusing of the trope of (view spoiler), as that trope seemed to make for a

Mike Steven
I picked it up for a quid and it's definitely worth that. It's very short and seems like more of a collectable thing than a great book. It's just forty eight pages long with pull outs of maps, postcards of Oxford and similar things. It's nicely put together and reasonable fun to flick through.

I enjoyed it simply because it was nice to be reading about Lyra again but it literally took half an hour to read. The story is nicely written as you would expect but, being short, obviously lacks the richn...more
Henning
A nice little revisit of Oxford and the adventures of Lyra and Pan. The end leaves you with the feeling like watching into an alethiometer; you know there is a deeper meaning there, but you just can't grasp it.
Elia
Dec 20, 2011 Elia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loved His Dark Materials
Recommended to Elia by: Michael
A short story about Lyra and Pan and their life in Oxford about two years after their separation from Will. It was nice to read about them again, but I wish the story was longer.
Robin
Cute, but... no substance and lacking all the depth and sweeping adventure of His Dark Materials. I really like the map. But then I fell asleep.
Miri
Just a fun, really short story, but it made me anxious to read The Golden Compass again! I'd forgotten how good that series is.
Alex Jones
I was sorting through my bookshelves today and rediscovered this, which I had never brought myself to read before because I didn't want to 'end' His Dark Materials books. This was extremely short, but also extremely sweet, and despite the many years since my last reading of the series I was dropped straight back into the world of Lyra and her Oxford environment. The book is beautiful, full of illustrations and the writing is sumptuous to match. The only issue is that it is over almost before it...more
Taylor Danielle
Why couldn't this be longer? If you have read the His Dark Materials series then please read this! I bought it, and finnished it in the same hour, and wish I would have found our about this a long time ago when I originally read the series! However, I still think it would be better if we could get a Will PoV, but I will take what I can get! Lyra had changed so much since the series began. She has grown up so much, and it breaks my heart because her innocence (which is still there) is now tainted...more
Miriam
Aug 03, 2009 Miriam rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lyra fans
Shelves: fantasy
The book is attractive as a tangible object, but the story disappoints.
Doug H
My initial one word review ("meh") may not have been quite fair. Here's some more thoughts to help explain my reaction.

Being a fan of the HDM trilogy, I had expected good if not great things from this book. I was hoping for some sort of extra insight into the HDM world or at least some rollicking fun. Instead I got a very short story (not even a novella really) that lacks any real substance or sense of adventure. It's not terrible, but it's not special.

Also, although the Goodreads description...more
Julie Sondra Decker
This is a short story with several supplementary materials that all have connections to the His Dark Materials series. "Lyra and the Birds" is a short story about helping a witch's dæmon who'd been sent to her for assistance in healing his witch, and you can also see a really interesting map of the alternate-world Oxford and a postcard from one of the characters, and some other things. The illustrations were really attractive. The story I found difficult to get attached to--it ultimately never p...more
  • Science Of Philip Pullman's " His Dark Materials "
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Art of Amy Brown Volume II
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Time of the Witch
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • The Navigator (The Navigator Trilogy, #1)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • Howl's Moving Castle, Vol. 3 (Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 3)
  • The Ghost in the Bell Tower (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller #4)
  • The Seventh Dwarf (Artemis Fowl #1.5)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards...more
More about Philip Pullman...
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3) Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version

“Everything means something.” 18 likes
“This book contains a story and several other things. The other things might be connected with the story, or they might not; they might be connected to stories that haven't appeared yet. It's not easy to tell.

It's easy to imagine how they might have turned up, though. The world is full of things like that: old postcards, theater programs, leaflets about bomb-proofing your cellar, greeting cards, photograph albums, holiday brochures, instruction booklets for machine tools, maps, catalogs, railway timetables, menu cards from long-gone cruise liners-all kinds of things that once served a real and useful purpose, but have now become cut adrift from the things and the people they relate to.

They might have come from anywhere. They might have come from other worlds. That scribbled-on map, that publisher's catalog-they might have been put down absentmindedly in another universe, and been blown by a chance wind through an open window, to find themselves after many adventures on a market stall in our world.”
1 likes