Start by marking “Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1)

Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  3,972 Ratings  ·  289 Reviews
Newly widowed Lydia Gray discovers that through an unforeseen fluke, she is the sole recipient of her husband's fortune. But instead of granting her security, it only causes strife as her adult stepchildren battle to regain the inheritance for themselves. Lydia, longing to put the memories of her painful marriage behind her, determines to travel to Alaska to join her aunt. ...more
Published August 20th 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dawn's Prelude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn's Prelude

TJ
Oct 14, 2010 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean, kindle
The thing that stood out for me in this book was the author's beautiful writing style. The storyline caught the readers attention immediately, then held it rapt through all the twists and turns of the plot while keeping an almost lyrical feel to the words being written. The only downside was some of those twists and turns were a little beyond the fray of even suspended belief.(view spoiler) ...more
K
Oct 06, 2010 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to really think about what rating this book should get. The first fifty pages and the last 75 to 100 pages were decently written, worth at least a three but the rest of the book was boring and one dimensional. The plot itself was sort of interesting, while not a mystery, since you knew whodunit, the bad guys were so malicious you just had to find out how bad they would really be but in the safety of a Christian novel where everything always turns out just fine. That to me is at least worth ...more
Lydia Presley
So, here's the deal. If you like Janette Oke-type books, you will probably enjoy this one. However, it is a bit darker and deals with some heavier issues.

This is my beef with these types of books. If you are going to do something like this, make it somewhat believable. Don't tell me things like the main character slept through all of her first labor, or that she, through a knock on her head, has no idea that she birthed a child mere weeks before. There are tell-tale signs of this and surely you
Camille
Let me start out by saying 5 out of 5 stars!!!!

I absolutely loved this book, it truly exceeded my expectations!

But first, let me start with a summary.

The book is set in the late 1800s and begins shortly after the death of Lydia Gray's husband. She is young, only 28, and now a widow with several stepchildren who have never liked her. In fact, not only did her husband beat and abuse her, her stepchildren have made it their personal mission to make her suffer as much as possible.

Lydia now is forced
Virginia
I really enjoyed reading this!! Oh my goodness! This was the best book that I've read in a long time! I had been reading other books and it was like, "okay I read it,NEXT"! You know what I mean? The storyline of Dawn's Prelude really entranced me from the beginning and I knew I had to finish reading this one. Also this is probably the first book that I've read that was solely by Tracie Peterson if I'm correct. I've read some books that were written by Tracie Peterson and other co-authors. I was ...more
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Suze
Jun 05, 2015 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lydia's husband died in an accident and even though she's relieved he can no longer bully her there are new problems caused by his death. It's the end of the nineteenth century and women don't have much to say yet. To everyone's surprise Lydia inherits a lot of money as she's the sole beneficiary of both her husband's and her father's fortune. Unfortunately her late husband's children don't want to accept this and they're trying to win back their father's money and assets via various lawsuits. L ...more
Barbara
Jan 24, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tracie Peterson has a way of drawing the reader into the story. Some may say that this book is predictable. I think it's predictable only if you read a lot of novels. If you read a lot, you begin to know how an author thinks. Predictable isn't all that bad, either. I guessed how the story "might" go, but I had no idea how it would get there. There is some sense of satisfaction in being right when you predict the ending of a novel. This book has been on my shelf for months. I'm glad I finally pic ...more
Shari Larsen
When 28 year old Lydia Gray's husband passes away unexpectedly in the fall of 1870, instead of grieving, she is relieved to finally be free of her abusive husband of 12 years. Wanting to put the past firmly behind her, she leaves Missouri to make a new life for herself in Sitka, Alaska, with her aunt. As she gets to know Kjell Lindquist, she finds herself slowly opening up to the idea of love and a future with him, but she finds the peace she has longed for cruelly shattered when her past catche ...more
Rebekah Tooley
Oct 23, 2015 Rebekah Tooley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely heart touching story about a young girl who was previously forced into an abusive marriage to a man who is much older than her, has children older than her, and murdered his past wife. I really liked Kjell and I can't wait to find out what happens to Evie!
Christina
This book is supposed to be a Christian book, but I found there was too much violence for my liking. The story alludes to rape of the main character, mentions spousal abuse, murder, gun violence, and more. The violence isn't a main theme, but I still cringed whenever it was mentioned.

Without giving away the plot twists, I have to say I expected more from this book. The main character, Lydia, becomes seriously injured and has an odd reaction to it once she is physically recovered. I think the aut
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
let me begin with a nice snobby opinion -- anyone who has written eighty adult-length books (and is not, say, 140 years old) is not generally going to write literature of much quality. so when i flipped this one open and saw the extensive title list of novels by this author, i set my sights a bit lower than usual.

LIKES: the historical settings, kansas city and the alaskan islands; the clean content; and that's about it...

DISLIKES:
the cardboard cut-out characters;
the exaggeratedly evil ex-step
Deidre
Feb 22, 2010 Deidre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a beautiful story that is heartbreaking and uplifting all at the same time.
Tausha
Apr 23, 2012 Tausha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was an okay read for me. I felt it was kind of depressing, but ends happy. Lots of drama for poor Lydia, but glad she found peace and Kjell.
Cindy Hudson
Jun 13, 2016 Cindy Hudson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read the next in this series!
Georgia Tarver
Mar 10, 2017 Georgia Tarver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very intriguing. The title drew my interest. The rating well deserved. No dislike what so ever

I would suggest my friends read this book. I would consider reading more of her books. I had never come across Tracie Peterson till yesterday.
Kristine
Mar 03, 2017 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I loved this book. I can hardly wait to start the next book. The characters were so easy to like. The writing was excellent and the storyline was great. Highly recommended.
Camille
Dawn's Prelude (Song Of Alaska #1) by Tracie Peterson

Let me start out by saying 5 out of 5 stars!!!!

I absolutely loved this book, it truly exceeded my expectations!

But first, let me start with a summary.

Jean
Jan 26, 2017 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an interesting story - Great characters with action & romance - Historical Fiction- Many emotions along with trials & tribulations - You will not want to put it down.
Heather
Mar 24, 2017 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read about early Alaska and healing power of God and prayer.
Judy Harden
Jan 15, 2017 Judy Harden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Reading

This book was captivating from start
to finish. It was refreshing to read about faith and trust in our Heavenly Father, which I have no doubt that Ms. Peterson must have or she would not have written it into this novel.
In a world where violence and corruption is so prevalent, it was refreshing to read of such a wondrous ending to give others never ending faith in God.
Thanks to the author, Ms.Peterson
Judy H.
Barbara Gore
Mar 13, 2017 Barbara Gore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I loved this book, I really liked reading about life I Alaska. This author really makes you feel you are in old Alaska and it had great characters. I highly recommend this book.
Gray
Mar 13, 2017 Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Enjoyed the book couldn't put it down
Great story plot plus I love the author she is the best writer ever
Abigail Harder
Mar 11, 2017 Abigail Harder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
I LOVED this book!! I finished it in less then one day. I literally started it around 2 in the afternoon and finished around midnight! I couldn't put it down!! If you like Christian Fiction and Christian Romance I HIGHLY recommend this amazing book!!!!!
Mary Ann
A beautiful story of the struggle for control over a young woman's life in a male dominated society. Thankfully the depravity of several males is balance by thehonor of others!
Eileen Carter
Mar 05, 2017 Eileen Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful Christian mystery that also has romance.
Lydia has endured a loveless, painful marriage but that all has changed with the death of her husband. But when she thought her problems were over New ones just began.
Kjell is a hard working man who said God would have to do a woman in his arms if he was to ever get married. How little did he know that God had that just landed for him.
Julie
Mar 07, 2017 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice easy fluffy read.
Rachel Brand
I know that Tracie Peterson is super popular in the Christian historical market, but until now I'd only read one short story written by her in a Christmas collection. This book has been languishing on my shelves for a couple of years now, and it made for a surprisingly quick read on a lazy Saturday afternoon and evening.

I wouldn't consider this a straight historical romance, as the romance between Lydia and Kjell was pretty slow and gentle, and kind of took the back-burner to the drama of Lydia
Carolyn Mae Kolssak
The Users and the Used of the Lord

Suspenseful, well woven plot about a family whose love of money and influence led to murder, abusive marriages,and lies. Contrasts rise, when God fearing individuals extend patience and love as a healing balm to enslaved and broken individuals.
Rupmala
This book was sweet and soulful, heartbreaking at times

Beautiful characters

Lydia had been to hell and came out alive, this story rings true and Kjell, I love their quiet yet determined characters.

It held my attention with the twists and mystery, the romance. Well written.

Enjoyed it...though the ending was abrupt in my opinion*****I would have loved an epilogue
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • Somewhere to Belong (Daughters of Amana, #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)
  • A Hope Undaunted (Winds of Change, #1)
  • A River to Cross
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Love Blooms in Winter (The Dakota Diaries #1)
  • The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls, #3)
  • Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill, #2)
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)
  • No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1)
  • The Rose Legacy (Diamond of the Rockies, #1)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Song of Alaska (3 books)
  • Morning's Refrain (Song of Alaska, #2)
  • Twilight's Serenade (Song of Alaska, #3)

“Just remember, forgiveness is a way of setting yourself free of the bondage put on you by others. There is liberty to he had in it.” 12 likes
“Just remember, forgiveness is a way of setting yourself free of the bondage put on you by others. There is liberty to be had in it.” 0 likes