Start by marking “Ugley Business (Sophie Green Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Ugley Business (Sophie Green Mystery #2)

Ugley Business (Sophie Green Mystery #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  639 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

Sophie Green, the worst spy the British secret service has ever seen, is back and she’s in love—with a car.

Book two of the Sophie Green Mysteries.

Her best friend is being stalked, and to find out why, Sophie has to solve a murder committed fifteen years ago. Complicating the case is Docherty, whose brooding eyes and Irish accent get Sophie almost as hot as his Aston Ma

Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ugley Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ugley Business

Aug 25, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, kindle
I loved the first book in this series and I was dissapointed with this book. There were several loose ends, or a lot of detail on topics that didn't really seem to tie in to the rest of the story. I felt like the mystery component of this story was sorely underdeveloped in contrast to the relationship aspect of the story regarding Luke and Sophie. Whereas the first book in the series had a great mystery, this book did not.

I thought this book could have been much better. I did enjoy it, but not
Tuuli
Jan 30, 2015 Tuuli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the first book of this series. A lot. Not quite so the second. Here's why (these REALLY are spoilers btw):

(view spoiler)
Joni
Jan 28, 2012 Joni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With 2 sick kids, a husband that had meetings for two straight days this book was the perfect get away. I lost track of time reading this book either on the couch with the kids or later that evening. Super easy, super silly, and a super escape from reality. Will I read the next book in the series? The next one I read may be by the pool enjoying the summer time ahhh....
Stina
Aug 09, 2011 Stina rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book just as much as the first one. A fast, fun, read, it was great for laying poolside on vacation.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who like quirky, fun chick-lit myseteries.
Michelle Corman
Jul 13, 2011 Michelle Corman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! Cannot wait to start the next book!
Shanyn Hosier
Sophie Green is back in all her lovable, disorganized, spunky glory. If you like snappy, snarky dialogue chockablock full of vulgar Brit slang and dry Brit humor, this is your series. An extensive familiarity with Buffy the Vampire Slayer might also help with some of the jokes, but I still enjoyed the story without it.

The friendship between Sophie and her friend, Angel, is warm and believable. The chemistry between Sophie and Luke continues as hot as ever. And then there's the mysterious Irishma
Karen Syed
I am so hooked on this series. Kate Johnson has one of the freshest voices I have read in a long time. Her stories tickle me to no end, despite being mysteries. the dialogue is always snappy, the characters are always real enough to live down the road from you and Johnson knows how to make setting a great part of her stories.

There are so many dimensions to her books that I can't seem to make myself stop reading. With each page I read, I dread going on because I know eventually I will get to the
Lisa
Apr 17, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am starting to like this series. It has a lot of the trademarks of the Stephanie Plum books although it is set in England.
Vittoria
Very fast and funny, quite like the first one, but too many lose ends. Too many whys and hows to which I found no answer. I will certainly read the next one though. The heroine is crazy (we should ask a psychiatrist to read the book and diagnose her) and she's got that wonderful sense of humour I so much love. Is it so, that the idea of fun for the British always involves getting drunk? How peculiar.
Hilde
Sep 30, 2011 Hilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I absolutely adored the first installment of the Sophie Green Mysteries as the heroine is just your average girl. She doesn't have super powers, is far from perfect and has a great sense of humour. The sequel does not disappoint either, the story is fast paced and it's difficult to put the book down: think Bridget Jones meets MI5. I'm looking forward to reading part 3: A is for Apple.
Josi
May 13, 2015 Josi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am loving the Sophie Green books. She is a great character. I want to read the other books in this series. The combination of humor and mystery is great. Throw in the mentions of some of my favorite things like Buffy, Stephanie Plum and all the British stuff. It is like my catnip. Love it. I just re-read this book and it is just as great this time.
Linda882
Chick lit spy caper, a la Stephanie plum but without....? Quick and easy read, no brainer, fun. A great deal of willing suspension required, particularly the re- arrangement of a charity ball. Seriously.. Sophie as a spy is one thing, but event management is another thing altogether. Still any girl who loves Buffy is a friend of mine
Cassiday Tamillo
Funny, easy read. Lots of loose ends, so will have to continue to hopefully get some answers. The heroine is a little looney, but in a very entertaining and familiar way....if I were British (and a spy) it might almost be like reading about myself......no, probably not.
Jo.
Another great read by Kate Johnson, I've grown addicted to the wonderful, witty and sometimes wacky world of Sophie Green. Excellent writing, brilliantly funny characters, I love how this series is developing.
Jenn
Jun 11, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the first one, I think. More excitement and mystery. Except there is lots of language I take offense to. So, I was disappointed about that.
Kimberly
Jan 06, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This was really good. All the lead in from the first book and the prequel helped make this one go by fast because most everything was already explained.
Meredith Kaupp
Dec 10, 2011 Meredith Kaupp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was in the mood for a Stephanie Plum/Izzy Spellman type of book and remembered this series. It hit the spot. (Sophie is even a Stephanie Plum fan.)
Audra
Aug 31, 2011 Audra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery, comedy
Laugh-out-loud funny. I giggled like Anderson Cooper! This series is what Stephanie Plum was like in its heyday! Really fun and funny!!!
Stupid69lamb
Jun 22, 2011 Stupid69lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, quirky and sexy like the first one, slightly less funnier. But veeery entertaining all the same.
Lakshmi
Apr 14, 2011 Lakshmi rated it really liked it
More fun with Sophie and the gang in this second book of the series. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lori Whitwam
Jul 19, 2010 Lori Whitwam rated it really liked it
Book 2 held up to book 1. Fast, funny, good tension, well-paced plot, good flow.
Sharon_b
Jun 28, 2012 Sharon_b rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't care I love Sophie Green! Luke sounds pretty cute too
Johnna Ehlendt
Jun 06, 2011 Johnna Ehlendt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Can't wait to read the 3rd book!
Ljj
Jul 19, 2011 Ljj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun series. Light "summer reading" books.
Janessa14
Nov 09, 2007 Janessa14 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves:
this book brings you in to a diffrent place..
Joan Thompson
Jul 17, 2011 Joan Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with humour and action.
Linda Liske
Jul 03, 2014 Linda Liske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Claire Mears
Claire Mears rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
  • Not One Clue (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #6)
  • No Such Thing As A Good Blind Date (A Brandy Alexander Mystery #2)
  • Command Indecision (Lexi Graves Mystery, #3)
  • No Money Down (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #0.5)
  • Voodoo, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox, #3)
  • Whiskey for Breakfast (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #3)
  • Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #2)
  • Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)
  • Unbreakable Bond (Jamie Bond, #1)
Kate Johnson lives in rural Essex where she belongs to a pride of cats and puts up with a demon puppy. She did actually do most of her homework, but quickly so as to have more time to stare out of the window thinking about heroes. Stay in school, kids. Kate has done a variety of not-particularly great jobs, ranging from airport check-in to lab assistant, but much prefers writing for a living. For ...more
More about Kate Johnson...

Sophie Green Mystery (5 books)
  • I, Spy? (Sophie Green Mystery, #1)
  • "A" is for Apple (Sophie Green Mystery, #3)
  • Still Waters (Sophie Green Mystery, #4)
  • Run Rabbit Run (Sophie Green Mystery, #5)