Start by marking “An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation, #1)

An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation #1)

Winner of the Prometheus Hall of Fame Award – thoughtful, idea-centered science fiction from F. Paul Wilson.

Peter LaNague’s voice was low but his eyes blazed as he spoke:

"I propose a revolution, one without blood and thunder, but one that will shake this world and the entire outworld mentality as no storm of violence ever shall. History is filled with cosmetic revolutions
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about An Enemy of the State, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Enemy of the State

Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. An excellent and highly enjoyable read. I really liked the use of "economics" as the means to overthrow the hostile government and thought the characters were well drawn. An original story that was never boring and kept me interested throughout. Highly recommended.
David
Mar 08, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know. At first I was very excited about the premise of this book. Although written a few years ago, the plot seems highly relevant today. A government that employs an easy money policy that could create the risk of hyper-inflation. Sound familiar? So, in that sense, the start to the book is really interesting.
The science fiction here is excellent. A couple of years ago, I read Asimov's "Foundation" series, which this book reminds me of, at least in its descriptions of the future world.
Angie
Oct 03, 2009 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angie by: Jon O
This is a story of political and economic revolution set far in the future and far in space. There are some interesting ideas in this book, but the philosophy was not explored in a very complex way and there are a lot of assumptions and leaps neccesary to follow the progression. As a story goes it was all right, I didn't mind reading to the end; but overall it was didactic, with a lack of character developement. I found the characters cardboady, not necessarily behaving in a very human way. My f ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 25, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Libertarian Science Fiction
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Prometheus Award Winner
I don't think you have to be a libertarian to like this book, but it helps. F. Paul Wilson is best known for his horror fiction, particularly his bestselling vampires-among-the-Nazis, The Keep. I rather enjoyed that pot-boiler, but I like his LaNague novels much more--but then I am a libertarian. This first of the LaNague books deals with a favorite theme of science fiction--a interstellar empire. Peter LaNague isn't trying to build one up or save the fragmenting pieces--he's trying to bring one ...more
Pat Cummings
Read This When the Price of Gold (and Gas, and Bread) Rises!

If you've ever found yourself dismissing the power of inflation to harm the quality of your life, Wilson's An Enemy of the State will provide a swift kick where it will do you the most good!

Peter LaNague, the enemy of the novel's title, takes the concept of Robin Hood to a new (an more accurate) level by exposing how state-driven inflation - the printing of money - drains value from currency. Simple examples of people coping with - or c
Kallierose
Apr 03, 2010 Kallierose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember how I came across this book - I think it was mentioned on one of Kindle's lists or something. Anyway, I thought it might be interesting, but didn't have high hopes. It was sci-fi, but the plot outline didn't really grab me.

I read about 10% and I was hooked. The author's style was simple and easy to follow, the characters interesting, and their motivations made sense and were often surprising. I also like that although this was one of many books in the series, the ending was such
David Teachout
A libertarian hero full of profound philosophy concerning the human condition and equal parts inability to understand that very same condition. What's truly fun about this story is how positively it speaks of freedom even as it drives home the point that such a philosophy doesn't understand human psychology. We are not rational creatures first, we are animals in need of safety first. Lanague figures this out but only after quite the journey to get there. The result is despair, but it didn't have ...more
David Wogahn
May 29, 2013 David Wogahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great combination of politics and scifi; its the book that introduced me to Wilson. It was also one of the early Kindle eBooks and was released with several chapters missing towards the end of the book. I happened to read an article about ebook errors and it referenced that this book was incomplete. I contacted Amazon (they never emailed me) and got the complete version. Even with that problem I still loved the book.
Joseph
Apr 15, 2008 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Enemy of the State is an excellent science fiction book written from a libertarian viewpoint. It tells the very compelling store of a future "Robin Hood" who uses all available peaceful means to end the galactic empire. This book is well written with very exciting characters and story. Understand austrian economics better as it is practically applied to the economics of a future human society.
CK
Apr 05, 2010 CK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: This isn't related to the movie by the same name.

I Really enjoyed this book - very simply written, interesting characters with a strong integration of economic themes (rabidly small government, individual freedom). This is a book that looks to instruct as well as entertain - and while I'm not sold on the economics (simplified libertarian) illustrated I appreciate the thought and passion.
Bob
Nov 16, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. It explores a many-planets totalitarian state (the Imperium) in its natural state of collapse, and how one man, with the help of a very small group of others, plays Robin Hood to speed up that collapse. In the process, that man begins to become somewhat like the oppressive rulers of the Imperium, as others question his decisions and threaten to attempt to bring on the revolution their way instead of his way. Very interesting and thought-provoking.
Christina Cricket
Do you think our government is doing a good job? This futuristic intergalactic novel about totalitarian government and a revolution, while written over 30 years ago, might give you a different perspective of current events. Or perhaps help reinforce the perspective you already have. Either way, it's a great read, highly recommended by me.
Beth Tidman
Feb 05, 2015 Beth Tidman rated it it was amazing
After a bit of a slow start this became a real page turner for me. Sci fi is not one of my favorite genres, but F. Paul Wilson is one of my favorite authors. This book did not disappoint and the rest of the series is now on my to read list.

Peter LaNague sets out to bring about the downfall of the Imperium government using economics instead of violence.
Chris
Feb 07, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this saga!!!!!! It's one of those books you wish would never end! I found this author from reading other authors JA Konrath likes to read and coauthor with, and I'm glad I did! Although this is a sort of sci fi........ it's way too close to how our world and especially our country runs! Great read and I highly recommend it!
Sven Bridstrup
Jun 08, 2010 Sven Bridstrup rated it liked it
I like this book. It's a bit preachy and trashes socialism, but it's a good story.

UPDATE: Finished it. Liked it. He's a good writer. I have since downloaded his latest book on Kindle. It's in my "To Read" list.
Dave
Oct 09, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dave by: just browsing
My very first foray into the mind of F. Paul Wilson. The title caught my attention for sure. How to take down an oppressive imperial state without firing a shot (or least not many...)? Economics, debase the money. How frail is the US war economy?
Kurt Lieber
Mar 04, 2014 Kurt Lieber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting science fiction book that has nearly no violence and instead describes a bloodless, largely financial revolution.
Shreela
May 21, 2008 Shreela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wheels within Wheels, Healer, An Enemy of the State, and Lanague Chronicles are all from the same world, but IIRC, they can be read in any order.
Howard
Sep 26, 2012 Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
k
Gordon
Jul 08, 2016 Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hood in space. Very interesting read and quite different.
John
Nov 23, 2015 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. As a libertarian I really wanted to like this, but ultimately I found the revolution plot terribly naive, and more importantly just not very interesting.
Johnny LeBon
Sep 18, 2014 Johnny LeBon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I honestly couldn't finish this book. To me, this book was a "poor man's" Atlas Shrugged. It totally turned me off.
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 Whitaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great book shows us how love is great and worth to die for
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Reenie
Reenie rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2011
Flo Hudson
Flo Hudson rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2015
Lance Storm
Lance Storm rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Jenn S.
Jenn S. rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
paul gerwig
paul gerwig rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Harry Harrison Megapack: 12 Classics of Science Fiction, including ROBOT JUSTICE, DEATHWORLD, and DEATHWORLD II
  • Salvage Merc One
  • Blackhawk (Far Stars Legends #1)
  • PRIMAL Reckoning (PRIMAL #5)
  • The Kinshield Saga: The Complete Series
  • In Her Name: The Last War (In Her Name: The Last War, #1-3)
  • De Oppresso Liber (Hayden War #6)
  • Purified
  • The Pyramid Builders (Lens of Time, #1)
  • The Controversial Mayan Queen: Sak K'uk of Palenque (Mists of Palenque #2)
  • Lyon's Legacy  (Catalyst Chronicles, #1)
  • Mark of the Dragon (Mysts of Santerrian, #1)
  • The Year of the Dragon Omnibus Edition (The Year of the Dragon, #1-4)
  • Indigo Squad (The Human Legion, #2)
  • The Orc of Many Questions (The Tales of Many Orcs, #1)
  • The Gate (Black Ops, #2)
  • The Great Impersonation
  • Goblins Know Best: The Trivial Trials of Bogrot and Gorag
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

The LaNague Federation (5 books)
  • Wheels Within Wheels (The LaNague Federation, #2)
  • Healer (The LaNague Federation, #3)
  • Dydeetown World (The LaNague Federation, #4)
  • The Tery (The LaNague Federation #5)

“The acronym was derived from the title of the first book--a pamphlet, really-- in which Khyfo was expounded, a supposedly scatalogical phase that meant 'Don't Touch'...

The title was Keep Your Fucking Hands Off. Mean anything to you?

Not a thing.

Nor to me. But it supposedly summed up their philosophy pretty well at the time.”
3 likes
“There must be no bloodshed, no violence unless it is defensive, no coercion! We must do it our way and our way alone! To do otherwise is to betray centuries of hardship and struggle.

Above all else Kyfho. Forget Kyfho in your pursuit of victory over the enemy, and you will become the enemy...worse than the enemy because he doesn't know he is capable of anything better.”
3 likes