An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation, Book 1)

An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Winner of the Prometheus Hall of Fame Award – thoughtful, idea-centered science fiction from F. Paul Wilson.

Peter LaNague’s voice was low but his eyes blazed as he spoke:

"I propose a revolution, one without blood and thunder, but one that will shake this world and the entire outworld mentality as no storm of violence ever shall. History is filled with cosmetic revolutions...more
Published (first published 1980)

Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. An excellent and highly enjoyable read. I really liked the use of "economics" as the means to overthrow the hostile government and thought the characters were well drawn. An original story that was never boring and kept me interested throughout. Highly recommended.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 25, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Libertarian Science Fiction
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Prometheus Award Winner
I don't think you have to be a libertarian to like this book, but it helps. F. Paul Wilson is best known for his horror fiction, particularly his bestselling vampires-among-the-Nazis, The Keep. I rather enjoyed that pot-boiler, but I like his LaNague novels much more--but then I am a libertarian. This first of the LaNague books deals with a favorite theme of science fiction--a interstellar empire. Peter LaNague isn't trying to build one up or save the fragmenting pieces--he's trying to bring one...more
David
I don't know. At first I was very excited about the premise of this book. Although written a few years ago, the plot seems highly relevant today. A government that employs an easy money policy that could create the risk of hyper-inflation. Sound familiar? So, in that sense, the start to the book is really interesting.
The science fiction here is excellent. A couple of years ago, I read Asimov's "Foundation" series, which this book reminds me of, at least in its descriptions of the future world....more
Kallierose
I can't remember how I came across this book - I think it was mentioned on one of Kindle's lists or something. Anyway, I thought it might be interesting, but didn't have high hopes. It was sci-fi, but the plot outline didn't really grab me.

I read about 10% and I was hooked. The author's style was simple and easy to follow, the characters interesting, and their motivations made sense and were often surprising. I also like that although this was one of many books in the series, the ending was such...more
Angie
This is a story of political and economic revolution set far in the future and far in space. There are some interesting ideas in this book, but the philosophy was not explored in a very complex way and there are a lot of assumptions and leaps neccesary to follow the progression. As a story goes it was all right, I didn't mind reading to the end; but overall it was didactic, with a lack of character developement. I found the characters cardboady, not necessarily behaving in a very human way. My f...more
Kurt Lieber
Interesting science fiction book that has nearly no violence and instead describes a bloodless, largely financial revolution.
Bob
Excellent book. It explores a many-planets totalitarian state (the Imperium) in its natural state of collapse, and how one man, with the help of a very small group of others, plays Robin Hood to speed up that collapse. In the process, that man begins to become somewhat like the oppressive rulers of the Imperium, as others question his decisions and threaten to attempt to bring on the revolution their way instead of his way. Very interesting and thought-provoking.
David Wogahn
A great combination of politics and scifi; its the book that introduced me to Wilson. It was also one of the early Kindle eBooks and was released with several chapters missing towards the end of the book. I happened to read an article about ebook errors and it referenced that this book was incomplete. I contacted Amazon (they never emailed me) and got the complete version. Even with that problem I still loved the book.
CK
Note: This isn't related to the movie by the same name.

I Really enjoyed this book - very simply written, interesting characters with a strong integration of economic themes (rabidly small government, individual freedom). This is a book that looks to instruct as well as entertain - and while I'm not sold on the economics (simplified libertarian) illustrated I appreciate the thought and passion.
Joseph
An Enemy of the State is an excellent science fiction book written from a libertarian viewpoint. It tells the very compelling store of a future "Robin Hood" who uses all available peaceful means to end the galactic empire. This book is well written with very exciting characters and story. Understand austrian economics better as it is practically applied to the economics of a future human society.
Christina Cricket
Do you think our government is doing a good job? This futuristic intergalactic novel about totalitarian government and a revolution, while written over 30 years ago, might give you a different perspective of current events. Or perhaps help reinforce the perspective you already have. Either way, it's a great read, highly recommended by me.
Brilliant, prophetic, and just plain intriguing.
Dave
Oct 09, 2008 Dave rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dave by: just browsing
My very first foray into the mind of F. Paul Wilson. The title caught my attention for sure. How to take down an oppressive imperial state without firing a shot (or least not many...)? Economics, debase the money. How frail is the US war economy?
Sven Bridstrup
I like this book. It's a bit preachy and trashes socialism, but it's a good story.

UPDATE: Finished it. Liked it. He's a good writer. I have since downloaded his latest book on Kindle. It's in my "To Read" list.
Shreela
Wheels within Wheels, Healer, An Enemy of the State, and Lanague Chronicles are all from the same world, but IIRC, they can be read in any order.
Steve Smoot
not sure I've read a more "for the politics" SF story before.
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how love is great and worth to die for
Gilliam
Too didactic for my taste and the quality of the writing is wanting.
Neil Houston
Neil Houston is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Charlie Weakland
Charlie Weakland marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Marc Van
Marc Van marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • Orion Shall Rise
  • The 97th Step (Matador, #5)
  • On My Way to Paradise
  • Tool of the Trade
  • Neverness (A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, #0)
  • Marxism: Philosophy and Economics
  • Ash Ock (The Paratwa Saga, Book 2)
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers
  • The Merchants' War (The Space Merchants, # 2)
  • True Names... and Other Dangers
  • The Incredible Origins of the Onyx Sun
  • The Demon Princes
  • Starfarers
  • Radical Son: A Generational Odyssey
  • Examined Life: Philosophical Meditations
  • Angel Station
  • Fleet of the Damned (Sten, #4)
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...
The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) The Tomb (The Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1) Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2) Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3) All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)

“The acronym was derived from the title of the first book--a pamphlet, really-- in which Khyfo was expounded, a supposedly scatalogical phase that meant 'Don't Touch'...

The title was Keep Your Fucking Hands Off. Mean anything to you?

Not a thing.

Nor to me. But it supposedly summed up their philosophy pretty well at the time.”
1 likes
“There must be no bloodshed, no violence unless it is defensive, no coercion! We must do it our way and our way alone! To do otherwise is to betray centuries of hardship and struggle.

Above all else Kyfho. Forget Kyfho in your pursuit of victory over the enemy, and you will become the enemy...worse than the enemy because he doesn't know he is capable of anything better.”
1 likes