Start by marking “Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Based on interviews with Stan Lee and dozens of his colleagues and contemporaries, as well as extensive archival research, this book provides a professional history, an appreciation, and a critical exploration of the face of Marvel Comics. Recognized as a dazzling writer, a skilled editor, a relentless self-promoter, a credit hog, and a huckster, Stan Lee rose from his hum ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book

Philip
Originally written on Epinions in March 2004:

I’m a latecomer to comic books – I did read a few as a kid, but never had the same sophisticated appreciation for them as, say, Bart Simpson has for Atomic Man. However, I’ve paid more attention to them lately as they’ve become lucrative fodder for Hollywood and (related to my work) video games. And as I get older, I find it easier to get through a graphic novel over the weekend then the non-graphic kind.

So Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the Americ
Howard
Biography of Stan Lee, and through him, the history of, primarily, superhero comics; evenhanded and readable, despite a (possibly unavoidable) fannish, tempest-in-a-teapot, feel.

In 1940, 18-year-old Stanley Lieber, smart, ambitious and raised in poverty, went to work at cousin Martin Goodman's Timely Publishing (later, Marvel). Goodman had moderate success imitating the pulps and comics of market leaders, and Lieber, now Stan Lee, was soon running the comics division. An accomplished and well-li
Michael
I'm giving up on this book.

Maybe it's because I've just recently read two rather excellent biographies ("Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson and "Walt Disney" by Neal Gabler), but this bio of Stan Lee doesn't stand in the same league. It's not as well organized, it's not as well written, it's not as well researched, and worst of all it doesn't give me any insight into what has made Stan Lee so great.

I'm dropping out just getting into Lee's stint doing Marvel comics in the 60's, the work that made him
Steve Peifer
My grandmother worked in a newsstand, and I received a box of comics every month, which led to a still embarrassing love of comics. This is SO much better than his autobiography, but it confirms that except for a few years in the 60's, what he was best at is promoting himself. He is more than the right guy in the right place lucky, but not much more.
Monica Copeland
I'm not typically one for non-fiction, but I really enjoyed the balance of this biography. It would have been easy to fall on the side of Stan-love or Stan-hate, so it is impressive the authors chose to examine the issues and triumphs surrounding Lee's role as Marvel ringmaster. I guess it was refreshing to read a journalistic piece that wasn't giving a thinly veiled presentation of opinion...
Caleb
Probably the definitive (so far) story of one of the most important, influential and fascinating men in the history of American comics, a man who, for better or worse, pretty shaped the industry and, to some degree, the medium. Authors Raphael and Spurgeon treat their subject quite fairly, particularly considering how polarizing he has been and can be.
Kris
Ok - some interesting stuff here, but I was way more interested in the general comic book history than Stan Lee himself. I guess I should maybe try a different, less specific book then!
Alicia
Slightly repetitive, but interesting look at Lee's career and the history of Marvel and DC Comics.
Paul
Pretty interesting but a little dry
Roland
A decent history of Marvel comics.
Dee
Oct 15, 2011 Dee marked it as to-read
Shelves: nook, unread
$2 at B&N
Nick Orosan
Nick Orosan marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Rionel
Rionel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Brantz Woolsey
Brantz Woolsey marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Romana1
Romana1 marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Cate
Cate is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Sanchit Bhandari
Sanchit Bhandari marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Aaron Dudziński
Aaron Dudziński marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014