Start by marking “Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book” as Want to Read:
Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book

Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Based on interviews with Stan Lee and dozens of his colleagues and contemporaries, as well as extensive archival research, this book provides a professional history, an appreciation, and a critical exploration of the face of Marvel Comics. Recognized as a dazzling writer, a skilled editor, a relentless self-promoter, a credit hog, and a huckster, Stan Lee rose from his hum ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book

Originally written on Epinions in March 2004:

I’m a latecomer to comic books – I did read a few as a kid, but never had the same sophisticated appreciation for them as, say, Bart Simpson has for Atomic Man. However, I’ve paid more attention to them lately as they’ve become lucrative fodder for Hollywood and (related to my work) video games. And as I get older, I find it easier to get through a graphic novel over the weekend then the non-graphic kind.

So Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the Americ
Biography of Stan Lee, and through him, the history of, primarily, superhero comics; evenhanded and readable, despite a (possibly unavoidable) fannish, tempest-in-a-teapot, feel.

In 1940, 18-year-old Stanley Lieber, smart, ambitious and raised in poverty, went to work at cousin Martin Goodman's Timely Publishing (later, Marvel). Goodman had moderate success imitating the pulps and comics of market leaders, and Lieber, now Stan Lee, was soon running the comics division. An accomplished and well-li
I'm giving up on this book.

Maybe it's because I've just recently read two rather excellent biographies ("Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson and "Walt Disney" by Neal Gabler), but this bio of Stan Lee doesn't stand in the same league. It's not as well organized, it's not as well written, it's not as well researched, and worst of all it doesn't give me any insight into what has made Stan Lee so great.

I'm dropping out just getting into Lee's stint doing Marvel comics in the 60's, the work that made him
Steve Peifer
My grandmother worked in a newsstand, and I received a box of comics every month, which led to a still embarrassing love of comics. This is SO much better than his autobiography, but it confirms that except for a few years in the 60's, what he was best at is promoting himself. He is more than the right guy in the right place lucky, but not much more.
Monica Copeland
I'm not typically one for non-fiction, but I really enjoyed the balance of this biography. It would have been easy to fall on the side of Stan-love or Stan-hate, so it is impressive the authors chose to examine the issues and triumphs surrounding Lee's role as Marvel ringmaster. I guess it was refreshing to read a journalistic piece that wasn't giving a thinly veiled presentation of opinion...
Probably the definitive (so far) story of one of the most important, influential and fascinating men in the history of American comics, a man who, for better or worse, pretty shaped the industry and, to some degree, the medium. Authors Raphael and Spurgeon treat their subject quite fairly, particularly considering how polarizing he has been and can be.
Ok - some interesting stuff here, but I was way more interested in the general comic book history than Stan Lee himself. I guess I should maybe try a different, less specific book then!
Slightly repetitive, but interesting look at Lee's career and the history of Marvel and DC Comics.
Pretty interesting but a little dry
A decent history of Marvel comics.
Oct 15, 2011 Dee marked it as to-read
Shelves: unread, nook
$2 at B&N
Andrew Shane Autry
Andrew Shane Autry is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2015
Jason Allen
Jason Allen marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Mitchell Kukulka
Mitchell Kukulka marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Mike Lee
Mike Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Lillian Madson
Lillian Madson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015