Start by marking “Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book” as Want to Read:
Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book

Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Based on interviews with Stan Lee and dozens of his colleagues and contemporaries, as well as extensive archival research, this book provides a professional history, an appreciation, and a critical exploration of the face of Marvel Comics. Recognized as a dazzling writer, a skilled editor, a relentless self-promoter, a credit hog, and a huckster, Stan Lee rose from his hum ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book

Philip
Aug 15, 2014 Philip rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Originally written on Epinions in March 2004:

I’m a latecomer to comic books – I did read a few as a kid, but never had the same sophisticated appreciation for them as, say, Bart Simpson has for Atomic Man. However, I’ve paid more attention to them lately as they’ve become lucrative fodder for Hollywood and (related to my work) video games. And as I get older, I find it easier to get through a graphic novel over the weekend then the non-graphic kind.

So Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the Americ
Howard
Mar 04, 2008 Howard rated it liked it
Biography of Stan Lee, and through him, the history of, primarily, superhero comics; evenhanded and readable, despite a (possibly unavoidable) fannish, tempest-in-a-teapot, feel.

In 1940, 18-year-old Stanley Lieber, smart, ambitious and raised in poverty, went to work at cousin Martin Goodman's Timely Publishing (later, Marvel). Goodman had moderate success imitating the pulps and comics of market leaders, and Lieber, now Stan Lee, was soon running the comics division. An accomplished and well-li
Michael
Aug 29, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok
I'm giving up on this book.

Maybe it's because I've just recently read two rather excellent biographies ("Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson and "Walt Disney" by Neal Gabler), but this bio of Stan Lee doesn't stand in the same league. It's not as well organized, it's not as well written, it's not as well researched, and worst of all it doesn't give me any insight into what has made Stan Lee so great.

I'm dropping out just getting into Lee's stint doing Marvel comics in the 60's, the work that made him
Steve Peifer
Aug 17, 2014 Steve Peifer rated it liked it
My grandmother worked in a newsstand, and I received a box of comics every month, which led to a still embarrassing love of comics. This is SO much better than his autobiography, but it confirms that except for a few years in the 60's, what he was best at is promoting himself. He is more than the right guy in the right place lucky, but not much more.
Brian
Feb 09, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing
It is surprising to learn about Stan the Man's problems and lack of credibility in the comic arena. To me he will always be the creator of Marvels best.
Monica Copeland
Nov 07, 2007 Monica Copeland rated it liked it
I'm not typically one for non-fiction, but I really enjoyed the balance of this biography. It would have been easy to fall on the side of Stan-love or Stan-hate, so it is impressive the authors chose to examine the issues and triumphs surrounding Lee's role as Marvel ringmaster. I guess it was refreshing to read a journalistic piece that wasn't giving a thinly veiled presentation of opinion...
Caleb
May 15, 2009 Caleb rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Probably the definitive (so far) story of one of the most important, influential and fascinating men in the history of American comics, a man who, for better or worse, pretty shaped the industry and, to some degree, the medium. Authors Raphael and Spurgeon treat their subject quite fairly, particularly considering how polarizing he has been and can be.
Kris
Mar 01, 2009 Kris rated it liked it
Ok - some interesting stuff here, but I was way more interested in the general comic book history than Stan Lee himself. I guess I should maybe try a different, less specific book then!
Alicia
Aug 16, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it
Slightly repetitive, but interesting look at Lee's career and the history of Marvel and DC Comics.
Paul
Dec 20, 2010 Paul rated it it was ok
Pretty interesting but a little dry
Roland
Aug 22, 2012 Roland rated it liked it
A decent history of Marvel comics.
Dee
Oct 15, 2011 Dee marked it as to-read
Shelves: unread, nook
$2 at B&N
MisanthropeRaft
MisanthropeRaft marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Kurt
Kurt is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2016
Salvador Ferraro
Salvador Ferraro marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Juana
Juana rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sween
Sween marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Ryon Keith
Ryon Keith marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Zoey Blake
Zoey Blake marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Eric Eisele
Eric Eisele rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Ivo
Ivo marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jose E. Barragan Bothwell
Jose E. Barragan Bothwell rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Craig Lipke
Craig Lipke rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
jyllae
jyllae rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Nathan Byrd
Nathan Byrd marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016