Start by marking “Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber: Exploring the Effect of Anxiety on Our Brains and Our Culture” as Want to Read:

In Poe’s Heart and the Mountain Climber, neuropsychiatrist and bestselling author Richard Restak takes an in-depth look at the science of anxiety, offering a fresh perspective and a straightforward approach to exploring and understanding our anxiety before it paralyzes us. In clear, accessible language, Restak addresses such pivotal questions as:

• How does anxiety differ f
Published April 28th 2010 by Crown (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber

Simon_Cleveland_Ph.D. Simon_Cleveland_Ph.D.
I should have paid more attention to the small shrift in the title of "Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber : Exploring the Effect of Anxiety on Our Brains and Our Culture" by Richard Restak. Generally, the book is Neither about Poe Nor about Mountain Climbers. IT IS ABOUT ANXIETY and is heavily geared toward scientific enthusiasts and/or medical students. I seriously believe that if an anxiety suffering patient picks up this book by the time he/she reaches the end, he/she would've experienced a ...more
Brad Mclaws
Good book if you are actually Anxious and need help on that front. It is a OK book from the standpoint of the brain science. If you are not at all dealing with the issue of anxiety you might hate the book. It is sort of a balance of theory and practical advice. Like going to the doctor. :)
Celeste
Jan 06, 2014 Celeste rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, neuro
Just okay. Unfortunately, neuroscience outdated this book became extremely quickly--and while some sections were livelier than others, I found the stream of animal experiments (and the WEIRD never-ending apologies about animal testing) a little tiresome.
Jose
Dec 02, 2009 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome audio book. bought actual book in portland at powell's bookstore. will use in class next semester. interested in reading more by this author
Mark
Restak is a reliable expositor of brain science. Need to get back to this.
Jim
Nov 11, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's the difference between stress, fear and anxiety? Now I know.
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Glas
Glas marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Hanh-Uyen
Hanh-Uyen rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
Lisa Christensen
Lisa Christensen rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Betsy Gant
Betsy Gant marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Candace M Ellison
Candace M Ellison marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Drama Sylum
Drama Sylum rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Romie
Romie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Mari Flynn
Mari Flynn rated it did not like it
Feb 28, 2016
Debra B.
Debra B. rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Cesar Mercado
Cesar Mercado marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Vera
Vera added it
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard M. Restak M.D. is an award-winning neuroscientist, neuropsychiatrist and writer. The best-selling author of nineteen acclaimed books about the brain, he has also penned dozens of articles for a variety of publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and USA Today. A fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Academy of Neurology, and ...more
More about Richard Restak...