Start by marking “Conscious Living” as Want to Read:
Conscious Living

Conscious Living

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In his bestselling book Conscious Living, pioneering therapist Gay Hendricks taught couples how to find balance and happiness in relationships.Now he gives us Conscious Living, a practical guide for the individual that brings new insights into a fundamental truth of daily truth of daily life. Five simple lessons of "conscious living", rooted in the ancient traditions of St...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Conscious Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscious Living

Paulo O'Brien
As the host of Pathways Interview radio for 25 years (divination.com/podcasts), which has a theme of personal and cultural transformation, I see just about everything that is promoted by publishers in the self-help category. This one takes the cake!

Hendricks and his wife are famous in the relationship arena, with several books on the subject of committed relationship, including most famously "Conscious Loving." This later work, "Conscious Living," incorporates the best of their relationship wisd...more
Zinta
Life is an ongoing, neverending process of self-improvement and enlightenment. While we can be given the best advice and offered the most valuable lessons over and over again, it takes a readiness in ourselves, an open heart and mind and a willing spirit, to be receptive to those lessons. And, to be truly effective, we need be not only ready... but conscious of the lesson learned and applied.

A good friend who has earned my respect with her ability to maneuver through her life with serenity and...more
Janet
Apr 06, 2013 Janet rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: embarking on higher levels of self growth
I found Gay Hendricks at a Business and Consciousness conference in about 2000/1, in a day long seminar.

Gay's example, stories and journey were an inspiration to me on multiple levels. Meeting Gay personally and seeing that he lived his life as stated in the books were also life changing and affirming. His book, like my reading of earlier in my life, "The Road Less Traveled" provided another dimension of how to see what choices I was making, consciously and unconsciously.

In the book, Gay takes...more
Nickjames
Why don't you have a copy of this book? I think this is the most underrated "self-help" book of all time. I rarely see it in stores, and usually there's only one copy, but I think everyone should read it at least once or get an idea of the core concepts that Gay is sharing. He's a great teacher and I have had to buy it a couple of times, as I always give someone my copy. For sure in my top 5. Gay shares many stories and then invites the reader to try on activities from Self-Esteem, Genuine Love,...more
Chris
I learned a lot while reading the first 2/3 of the book. The author is a psychotherapist who discovered that traditional therapy did not always help his clients. He describes specific ways that we can experience more peace, serenity, and happiness in our lives, and his ideas are profound and thought-provoking. I spent hours pondering the amazing techniques he uses to help people find inner peace and joy. The last 1/3 of the book was weak and I strongly disagreed with many of his ideas. However,...more
Rubina
A definite should read...a gem of a book by Gay Hendericks, Conscious Living, teaches how we should segregate between our personas which we create as a protective mechanism while growing up and our true conscious self. If you are ready to change your perspective of life and to live life with conscious intent, this is the book to read. While what Hendericks offers may not seem to be anything new, he delivers his messages by referencing his own personal life, making the journey through this book a...more
Alison
This book is the follow up to Concious Loving which I also read this week. Unlike the first book this one can be read and implemented completely without your partner's participation. It would be ideal for someone without a partner, although I also think I gained a lot from this book as well even though I am partnered. I am glad that my friend recommended them to me to read.
Sloane
This was one of the best self help boks that I have ever read. The only problem that I had with it was sometimes he made it seem like things can change so quickly...like how you can tell your boss that he's hurting your feelings and things will get better right then...seems a little unrealistic.
Elisabeth Kinsey
Apr 05, 2008 Elisabeth Kinsey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to look at their lives objectively.
Recommended to Elisabeth by: got it off the shelf at West Side Books
I love the Hendricks. Concious Loving is one of the books that changed the way I approach relationships. Really think this pair are wonderfully wise people.
Emily Thayer
Very powerful book with thought provoking ideas and ways of living your life. A lot of it makes so much sense. I think I had about 10 "A-HA" moments while reading!!
Selfinquiry
Yet another riveting self helper. Seriously if you are at all interested in self growth or psychology this is a great book.
Lynda
There is no book with all the answers. What I learned from positive living books is that you make positive choices every day.
Angie Millgate
Mar 01, 2009 Angie Millgate is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm discovering that I must take this one in small chunks or I get overwhelmed...
Connie
Some interesting things to think about. I took away a few good nuggets.
Angie Brown
Enjoyed reading this book. I wouldn't mind reading it again.
Darcie
One of the better self-help books.
Sanket Gupta
Sanket Gupta marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Eliot
Eliot marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Melissa Will
Melissa Will marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Dr. Gay Hendricks has served for more than 30 years as one of the major contributors to the fields of relationship transformation and body-mind therapies. Along with his wife, Dr. Kathlyn Hendricks, Gay is the author of many bestsellers, including Conscious Loving, At the Speed of Life, and Five Wishes.

Gay received his PhD in counseling psychology from Stanford University in 1974. After a 21-year...more
More about Gay Hendricks...
The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1) Five Wishes: How Answering One Simple Question Can Make Your Dreams Come True The Second Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #2) The Third Rule Of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #3)