Start by marking “Planet Home: Conscious Choices for Cleaning and Greening the World You Care About Most” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
FROM THE COFOUNDER OF SEVENTH GENERATION, the most trusted brand in environmentally friendly household products, comes this indispensable guide to maintaining absolutely everything in the home in a natural, nontoxic way. Jeffrey Hollender leads you through each room of the house with straightforward advice, comprehensive checklists, quick tips, and unparalleled resources w ...more
Published December 28th 2010 by Potter Style

To ask other readers questions about Planet Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet Home

Bethany
While this book could get preachy at times, and it got tiring hearing about organic sheets and organic upholstery and organic everything, I actually learned a lot from this book. You can skim the less-attainable parts and focus on trying to take a few suggestions home to improve your life and the earth. The book did a great job of describing the overall systems that are involved in something like providing tap water or electricity to your house, and had tons of resources, websites, natural home ...more
Carman
I don't think I could praise a book more... HIGHLY informative, impressively written/edited and a very interesting read. This from the stand point that it really makes you want to question the choices you make on a daily basis. I would have to say this is a MUST READ for anyone slightly interested in making changes in their daily life to better impact not only the environment, but their own health and the health of those around them.

I am a mother and since the birth of my own children I have wa
Doreen
This book is so earnest and humorless (and, occasionally, unnecessarily condescending: check out the categories of women who can't breastfeed) that even though I agree with a lot of it on energy efficiency and laundry and the benefits of fresh air, I just couldn't enjoy it at all. It was like reading a dull, if graphic-filled textbook: if you're already set on learning more about living consciously, you'll find a lot to guide you here. If you're neutral or opposed, you won't find yourself suaded ...more
Cindy
A good reference to have around the house, however, I was turned off early on in the book with the condescending tone about how it needs to be all or nothing as far as going "green". This tone may change later in the book, but I had to stop reading it because it was giving me anxiety and a feeling of not doing it "right". I never really sat down with it after that but did reference it for some specific scenarios while cleaning a few weeks later.
Latasha
This was a great read. A quick over of the home and how to take care of it in a non-impactful way. The most interesting parts were the bits about recycling, plastic (and the chemicals needed to make plastic), the use of water, the use of energy, and how to get active in your community to make a change. I've been browsing a lot of these books lately and this is by far my favorite. Makes it easy to make a change.
Jillian
This was disappointing. I've read other books on the subject that are better, and frankly, an "eco-book" that doesn't mention vegetarianism or veganism is a joke. And I can't believe the author advocates the use of dryer sheets. This book seemed like a cleaning guide for neurotic parents instead of a truly eco-conscious guide to green living.
Catherine

Like a good cook book the "recipes" for safe home products are clear, concise, easy to make and good for you. ( See 28 and 29, 258, 259 Safer cleaning products. ) Lots of good practical checklists, index, and resources, could use some editing (p 50, 143.)
Zoe
This book has a lot of interesting info; some of it can easily be found elsewhere, but I like that it includes green cleaning schedules for the different rooms of the house, and provides real, easy to implement green solutions.
Whole Terrain
Whole Terrain interviews Alexandra Zissu about her part in writing Planet Home in this blog entry
Kerry
This is great book that covers all the various rooms in your house and has a great resource list at the back.
Mai El zainy
Mai El zainy marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Colin Chisek
Colin Chisek marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Kimberly Kenzig
Kimberly Kenzig marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Renae
Renae marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Amy Hassig
Amy Hassig marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Karyn Palmer
Karyn Palmer marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Responsibility Revolution: How the Next Generation of Businesses Will Win Naturally Clean: The Seventh Generation Guide to Safe & Healthy, Non-Toxic Cleaning What Matters Most: How A Small Group Of Pioneers Is Teaching Social Responsibility To Big Business, And Why Big Business Is Listening The Age of Responsibility: CSR 2.0 and the New DNA of Business How to Make the World a Better Place: A Guide to Doing Good