Start by marking “Planet Home: Conscious Choices for Cleaning and Greening the World You Care About Most” as Want to Read:

FROM THE COFOUNDER OF SEVENTH GENERATION, the most trusted brand in environmentally friendly household products, comes this indispensable guide to maintaining absolutely everything in the home in a natural, nontoxic way. Jeffrey Hollender leads you through each room of the house with straightforward advice, comprehensive checklists, quick tips, and unparalleled resources w ...more
Published December 28th 2010 by Potter Style

To ask other readers questions about Planet Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet Home

Bethany
May 31, 2012 Bethany rated it liked it
While this book could get preachy at times, and it got tiring hearing about organic sheets and organic upholstery and organic everything, I actually learned a lot from this book. You can skim the less-attainable parts and focus on trying to take a few suggestions home to improve your life and the earth. The book did a great job of describing the overall systems that are involved in something like providing tap water or electricity to your house, and had tons of resources, websites, natural home ...more
Carman
Mar 04, 2011 Carman rated it it was amazing
I don't think I could praise a book more... HIGHLY informative, impressively written/edited and a very interesting read. This from the stand point that it really makes you want to question the choices you make on a daily basis. I would have to say this is a MUST READ for anyone slightly interested in making changes in their daily life to better impact not only the environment, but their own health and the health of those around them.

I am a mother and since the birth of my own children I have wa
Doreen
Jun 08, 2013 Doreen rated it it was ok
Shelves: crown-winnings
This book is so earnest and humorless (and, occasionally, unnecessarily condescending: check out the categories of women who can't breastfeed) that even though I agree with a lot of it on energy efficiency and laundry and the benefits of fresh air, I just couldn't enjoy it at all. It was like reading a dull, if graphic-filled textbook: if you're already set on learning more about living consciously, you'll find a lot to guide you here. If you're neutral or opposed, you won't find yourself suaded ...more
Cindy
Mar 19, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it
A good reference to have around the house, however, I was turned off early on in the book with the condescending tone about how it needs to be all or nothing as far as going "green". This tone may change later in the book, but I had to stop reading it because it was giving me anxiety and a feeling of not doing it "right". I never really sat down with it after that but did reference it for some specific scenarios while cleaning a few weeks later.
Latasha
This was a great read. A quick over of the home and how to take care of it in a non-impactful way. The most interesting parts were the bits about recycling, plastic (and the chemicals needed to make plastic), the use of water, the use of energy, and how to get active in your community to make a change. I've been browsing a lot of these books lately and this is by far my favorite. Makes it easy to make a change.
Jillian
Jun 03, 2011 Jillian rated it did not like it
Shelves: green-living
This was disappointing. I've read other books on the subject that are better, and frankly, an "eco-book" that doesn't mention vegetarianism or veganism is a joke. And I can't believe the author advocates the use of dryer sheets. This book seemed like a cleaning guide for neurotic parents instead of a truly eco-conscious guide to green living.
Zoe
Mar 12, 2011 Zoe rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of interesting info; some of it can easily be found elsewhere, but I like that it includes green cleaning schedules for the different rooms of the house, and provides real, easy to implement green solutions.
Catherine
Jul 08, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing

Like a good cook book the "recipes" for safe home products are clear, concise, easy to make and good for you. ( See 28 and 29, 258, 259 Safer cleaning products. ) Lots of good practical checklists, index, and resources, could use some editing (p 50, 143.)
Whole Terrain
Jul 11, 2011 Whole Terrain rated it it was amazing
Whole Terrain interviews Alexandra Zissu about her part in writing Planet Home in this blog entry
Kerry
Jan 14, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This is great book that covers all the various rooms in your house and has a great resource list at the back.
Mckenzie Gaby
Mckenzie Gaby rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Catherine Patti
Catherine Patti rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Nichole
Nichole rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Lvta
Lvta rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Devon
Devon rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Ruby Gj
Ruby Gj rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Samantha Sweatt
Samantha Sweatt rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Nadia
Nadia rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Kacy
Kacy rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Libby King
Libby King rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Amber Osborn
Amber Osborn rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013