Start by marking “Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)

Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  964 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Fresh out of college, Aggie Milliken thinks she’s prepared for anything life can throw her way. Think again, Aggie!

After the abrupt loss of her sister and brother-in-law, Aggie is stunned to find herself the sole guardian of their eight lively children. If learning basic parenting skills wasn’t complicated enough, she must also battle the children’s half-crazed grandmother
Paperback, First, 348 pages
Published March 27th 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Ready or Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready or Not

This book was so good! I don't know why it took me so long to read it. This author did an amazing job developing her characters and making them feel so real.

I think my favorite part of the book is how unashamed Aggie was of her beliefs, and how seamlessly they fell into her life. The book wasn't preaching or over the top, but Aggie's high standards were there.

The whole concept of mid-twenties year old, suddenly inheriting her eight nieces and nephews was great. Watching Aggie learning to deal wi
Michelle
I got this as a free book through Book Bub and loved it. I'm going to have to get the rest of the series to find out what happens with Aggie and all the kids. I can't even imagine having 8 kids (2 sets of twins) much less suddenly becoming the guardian of 8 kids at the age of 22. While it is sad in places it is also laugh out loud funny in other places.
Sherry Burney
I absolutely loved this book. I can't wait to start the next one in the series.
Andrea Stoeckel
I have written elsewere that when I look back on the past six months or so, some might think I am overdosing on Chautona's books. The thing is, I'm not. Each series, although tied by area (the fictious Rockland) each character arc is different and each storyline unique. That's what's so great about them :)

20-something Aggie inherits her eight nieces and nephews, a grandmother-in-law, and the wherwithall to be able to care for them. She had just graduated from college and was getting ready to tea
Bekah
Barbara
Totally loved this book. It may be due to reading a book when I was in grade school about a family of children who lost their parents and did all they could to stay together and not get pulled apart in foster care. This author just pulls into wishing for the best for this young woman and the responsibility thrust upon her. With the good advice she is given, it seems to me to be a good book for a prospective mother to read. Looking forward to the sequel.
Kay
College grad "inherits" her sister's eight children. She is unprepared and whiny.
Cindy
Interview I did with the author of this book:

Welcome to Cindy's Book Reviews (CBR) Chautona, tell us a bit about yourself.

*taps mic*
I am Chautona and I love to write..

Chautona... yeah. The name. Probably should explain that. It is my real name. It is not "Native American" or French and I am not "African American." It is 100%, totally adulterated, Okie. I was named after apartments in Bakersfield California. Yeah. Born in Oklahoma to an Okie father. Doesn't get much more Okie than that. Just say
Chrissy Stoll
I read this book very slowly over the course of about a month while waiting in the after school pick-up line. I don't think I could have handled it all at once, so I'm glad it worked out that way.

What I liked about this story:

1. Aggie's attitude and quirkiness. Her patience and sense of humor remained, for the most part, even when she was exhausted. She enjoyed the kids, which was nice to see. She was slightly clueless about housekeeping and cooking, which helped her seem a little more real as
Kjirstin
I really enjoyed this story; you want Aggie to survive and thrive, and each step forward (followed, as often as not, by a step back) is a delight. I kept cheering her on and it was good to see her in a good place by the end of the book. (Though with a lot of ends left untied. You know that Grandma-from-Hell isn't going to just disappear...)

I will say that I wondered when the story was written, because the technology described didn't seem up-to-date (or the styles). And Aggie being a 22-year-old
April
A young woman in her early twenties is left to take care of her 8 nieces and nephews after their parents die.

I felt like the book was a never-ending cycle of the same scenes:

The children misbehave and she deals with it.

Her sister's mother-in-law shows up and makes a scene so she has to call the police.

She chats with her best friend online.

She has an emotional breakdown and other people come to her rescue.

A very heavy Christian theme. She wears skirts all of the time, no pants at all. She pr
Jamie Dubois
22 year old Aggie had dreams of becoming a high school teacher but those dreams came to an end when she finds out her sister and brother-in-law were killed as a result of a car accident. Aggie finds out she "inherited" all EIGHT of her sisters children.

This is a story of how Aggie survives the first 6 months of motherhood... taking care of the children, refurbishing an old house, strengthening friendships... with the help of many new friends. She has Luke- the do-it-all handyman, William- the to
Georgann
Lovely Book

I am a fan of Chautona Havig! Ready or Not is everything you could possibly desire and more in a "Christian Romance". I grew weary a long time ago of the predictable formulas in this genre. I got this free and it sounded different...and it was! I am so glad I took a chance on it! I highly recommend it!!
Stacy
Book one in the Aggie's Inheritance series by a new-to-me author, Chautona Havig. I got this one for free, and I believe I have at least two more in this series also on my Kindle. It got a little overly wordy and descriptive in places but overall, a very enjoyable book. Aggie Milliken has just finished college when her older sister and brother-in-law are tragically killed in a car wreck. They've left Aggie the awesome responsibility of raising their EIGHT children. His mother wants the children, ...more
Mandy Moore
I enjoyed this book.. Not so sure I could have handled this situation, had I been in Aggie's shoes!

This story contained alooot of detail, kind of exhausting as you read every detail of a situation.. but if you think of it.. I think that may have been intentional from the author to give a insight to Aggie's daily routine.. She's completely dead on her feet after a day of struggling to maintain leadership & care for 8 kids, and you are too! lol

I would have liked a little more closure in the en
Jestine Myers
This was a cute little Christian tale. Aggie struggles to raise her eight nieces and nephews after the death of her sister and brother-in-law. There are some quirky, some sad, and some serious trials chronicled here.
Tonya
This was an ok read. The plot was funny, but the characters could use some more development, and there were things that were never explained. Also, I thought the book was overly preachy. But not a bad quick read.
Catherine
It started out fun and a little cheesy, but cute. The farther I got the more cheesy it got and the more frustrated I got with the author's horrible character development and inconsistency with the story line. It's a good concept for a series and maybe I'm being too critical, but I will not be reading any of the other books.
Julie
Jul 25, 2013 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: amazon kindle - free book
The format has traditional third-person narrative mixed in with text conversations. The text conversations annoyed me: they speak using outdated lingo (at least lingo that I do not use) and from an outsider's perspective, I don't think anyone wants to read "lol" in a book.

That withstanding, the book's ending (no spoiler here) was different than the standard Christian book, and for that, I think it says something good about the author and her willingness to explore realities of life within light-
Megan Wade
Love this book series.

I love this book series. I cannot put her books down. These books are like a television series and keeps you interested the entire time.
Ruth
Great Read!!

When a book gets my attention from the first chapter I know I'm hooked. I loved this book and and looking forward to the next books in the series.
Maria Claudia
Like so much tais book. I think Aggie great and real, but the two men made me unconfortable. Love Luke, but he was so perfect in every way. seems unreal. William is the oppositte. Lot of conflits. But it kept me reading through the night.
Lora Armendariz
Such a fun story! It took my mind off of worries and had me laughing each time I turned a page. Beautiful novel...can't wait to read the second.
Renee
I like the story a lot and the characters are great too. Its just pretty conservative religious, so that part got annoying. Nothing is resolved at all by the end of this book, you have to read the whole series to get any closure I'm sure.
Stephanie Repnyek
Great Read

Great Read! Ready to read the rest off the series. Didn't want to put this book down. I recommend it!
Sonia
This was a good read with lots of wonderful insights and tips for good parenting. However, the religious/preachy aspect was a little over the top. Not that I don't like a Christian book but when I feel like it is being thrown at me instead of softly handed to me, it is too much.
Laurie Mooney
Refreshing

I love this book. look forward to reading next installment. so refreshing to read a story where the characters lean in to prayer to guide in choosing the right words and actions.inspiring story.
Jacqueline
There was a strong Christian theme running through the story, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment, it was simply an aspect of the tale & not at all preachy. I enjoyed this tale of a young 22 year old woman who inherits her 8 nephews & nieces when her sister & brother in law die in am accident. She meets the challenge of dealing with grief, becoming an instant substitute parent, moving house etc with little if any time to seriously consider any romantic involvement. Would recommen ...more
Patti Pierce
Loved this book!
Melissa Maffei
I enjoyed this book. I love how all the character grew throughout the book. I even enjoyed some of the most dramatic moments, laughing at the weirdest experiences that Aggie had as a first time mother. I do recommend this book to everyone who is old enough to be around with kids, or thinking about working in a job that has children (15 and up). There are lessons about parenting and working with children that help me see a new perspective in dealing with problems everyday. Most enjoyable, ad fun ...more
  • Long Time Coming
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Delivered with Love
  • Nadia's Hope
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • The First Gardener
  • Blue Christmas (Moody Blue, #1)
  • The Sister Circle (Sister Circle #1)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Beyond the Storm (Quilts of Love #1)
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • Truffles By The Sea (Chocolate Series Book 2)
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • Maggie's Journey (McKenna's Daughters, #1)
  • Until Forever
  • Betrayed
  • A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3)
I am fortunate enough to live in the great state of California (in the Mojave Desert) with my husband Kevin and seven of my nine children. My eldest is married with four children, so I have the fun of a son-in-law and grandbabies to enjoy. I’ve graduated six out of my nine children from our home school, and they’re all doing quite well in their lives. My younger children keep me from getting too s ...more
More about Chautona Havig...

Aggie's Inheritance (3 books)
  • For Keeps (Aggie's Inheritance, #2)
  • Here We Come (Aggie's Inheritance, #3)
For Keeps (Aggie's Inheritance, #2) Here We Come (Aggie's Inheritance, #3) 31 Kisses Discovering Hope Past Forward: The Beginning, Episode 1 (Past Forward, #1)

“Well, I think her exact words were, ‘Luke, sometimes I don’t wike you vewy much,’ so I just told her that I’d always love her very much.” ~Luke Sullivan” 4 likes