Start by marking “Cirque Du Soleil: The Spark: Igniting the Creative Fire That Lives Within Us All” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Creativity and innovation are widely recognized as essential to success in business, and so many aspects of our lives. For over two decades, Cirque du Soleil has been a world-renowned laboratory of creativity, enthralling audiences around the world by fusing dazzling acrobatics, staging and choreography, and music, along with beautiful costumes and technical effects to ins ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Broadway Business

To ask other readers questions about Cirque Du Soleil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cirque Du Soleil

Jackie
How do you say "Hokey" in French?
Flavio Guell Casalvolone
If you've ever been to a Cirque du Soleil show, you can tell their performers are unusual human beings who infuse an ecstatic passion to the audience, not only because of their stunts but -most importantly- because of the passion they emanate. Is there something that we can learn from them in order to lead more creative lives and enlighten others with joie-de-vivre? Well, there is. And a lot.

In order to live fully, you need to take risks: you have to trust that real feats come from taking leaps
Amy
Thoughts about how to challenge yourself every day to keep yourself motivated and loving what you do (making your career your calling). Presented in a novel format about a sports agent looking for ways to bring back the joy to his work. He ends up going to the Cirque du Soleil headquarters and working with many of the people responsible for the shows. Each person brings a new perspective, such as how to learn not to be afraid of success, how tighter deadlines can sometimes lead to more creative ...more
Byron
Not a bad little book. There were a few moments where I felt a little twinkle of inspiration. Unfortunately, however, they were short-lived, and in the end I couldn't get over the self-congratulatory tone of the whole thing. I'll admit - Cirque is pretty cool. But I've heard Lyn Heward speak, so I can't say I was terribly surprised to find out who the heroine of this story was. In the end, it's a very quick read, and it wasn't too bad. But I can't give it more than 3 stars...I just can't.
Cecillia
A little book that helps us re-ignite that tiny spark inside every one of us :)
For those who feel stagnant in their daily lives and works, or for those who are simply big fans of Cirque du Soleil, i recommend this book. I happened to be both, but i give only 3 stars for this book. Actually i want to rate this 4 stars, but i hate the cover design...hahaha...well, not something i expect from a book that bear the name Cirque du Soleil on it, in my opinion :p
Kamy
liked it just enough to pass the 2-star mark. reads like a self-help book. interesting to learn about cirque du soleil. mildly inspiring passages. not worth it unless you are slightly desperate for inspiration.
Jon
This book starts off as though the author is trying to hard. The dramatization of his story telling lessens up the further I read. I just remembered; Its sister Jenny's book. I need to get it back to her.
Rebecca
What I enjoyed: A glimpse behind the scenes of how Cirque du Soleil works and what goes into their creative process. While nothing new was presented in regards to creativity, it was a good reminder of how deadlines and other restrictions can be a good thing, be open and honest, and be childlike when creating.

What I disliked: The conversations came off as preachy and didn't sound at all like how people really talk. Sometimes it felt like a hard push to advertise Cirque, which the book didn't need
Magdelanye
what an inspiring blueprint for a creative life!
I enjoyed reading about the behind the scenes at Cirque de Soleil.
Would have appreciated pictures!
Ronaldo Ricioli
Recomendo esta narrativa que leva o leitor direto aos bastidores desta incrível “instituição” chamada “Cirque du Soleil”. Não tive a oportunidade de assistir o espetáculo do Cirque ao vivo, mas é um “to do” na minha lista “obrigatórios”. Ganhei esse livro do meu irmão há um tempo atrás e só agora resolvi devorá-lo, comigo funciona muito a “hora certa para ler” as obras, não é possível extrair o melhor de cada obra se a leitura for “empurrada ou por garganta a baixo”.

Prefiro procurar na minha bib
Christian
Last year, I went to a gym management conference in San Fran. One of the keynote speakers was Lyn Heward. And though I don't remember the details of what she talked about, I remember that she was phenomenal. So when we were in Vegas and wandering the Ká gift shop after the show and I saw her book, I knew I had to buy it. Besides, knowing that I was going back into the job market (blech), I figured I could do with some good inspiration.

This book has some good inspiration, but I must confess to n
Mónica
Un comienzo bastante bueno, sin embargo, hacia la mitad del libro es un tanto predecible lo que escribe el autor, es lo malo con estos libros de autoayuda, sin embargo, a veces aunque uno ya lo sepa, necesitas que alguien venga y te lo diga o en este caso leerlo para ser consciente de lo que ya sabes, la primera mitad me gusto mucho pero después fue puro bla, bla, bla...
Cami Putnam
I had no idea what went on behind the scenes at Cirque Du Soleil and the amazing attitude for life and love of the work that they perform. I found this book inspiring. Giving the reader a reason and a will to reach for ones best self and help others along the way. Life is short don't waist your time being mediocre aim high and bring people with you!
Jay
Fictionalized story of a sports agent who decides he needs to rethink how he's doing business after seeing a Cirque du Soleil performance. Think "Jerry Maguire" but instead of writing a mission statement, this agent joins the circus. The story goes through the different people he meets in his month of training and touring with the company, where he is shown how they operate. Our agent takes this new learning back and changes his job. It was nice and short and lightweight. Not much of surprise he ...more
Dave Emmett
This was a perfect book to read right after Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us; in a way it was a case study of the type of organization that Drive suggests we need more of. Cirque values creativity, innovation, and collaboration above all else, and those are almost exactly what Dan Pink advocates for in Drive.

At first, I found the writing style somewhat... Hokey. It's sort of a mix between an autobiography and a novel, a fictionalized non-fiction story. But as the book went on
Crystal
I really liked this business management leadership title. I think that Lyn Heward did a great job of drawing you into the story while also conveying the principles of inspiration, enthusiasm, and a sincere joy of life and your job. I loved reading about the behind the scenes parts of Cirque du Soleil. Hearing about how the performances are created and how they keep all of their employees continually motivated was great for driving my creativity and inspiring me to reach further in my career. Thi ...more
PathPainters
I have always had an affinity for Cirque Du Soleil. This book is an inspiring story about how one man discovered Cirque Du Soleil and was so moved by the art and passion he saw that it helped him find his path again in life. It's a quick up lifting read!
Jenna
I read this book in June of 2010 and I enjoyed it immensely. I enjoyed reading about the 'glamor', artistry, and hard work that goes into all the shows. The training, the creativity, ingenuity and talent.
Patricia
Jamás había oído hablar del Circo del Sol, hasta que leí este libro, hace más de 10 años. Desde entonces he buscado con ansiedad la oportunidad de verlos en directo.
Yvonne Jarrett
This book was really fun to read and made me want to go see another Cirque Du Soleil show. Love all of the take away advice too.
Jamie Pennington
With out a doubt one of the best books I have read in a long, long time. Lefe transforming even. I am thinking about requiring my staff to read it. Great book.
Katie Hosier
Inspirational. A good book to read when you need a little bit of belief in the impossible.
Karen C.
Well-written; excellent and clear points; shows why and how the author changed over time; a quick read.

After seeing my very first Cirque Du Soleil, Amaluna, in Montreal, I was completely blown away by how brilliant the show was and how sad that I knew nothing about the Cirque experience. While on vacation, I ran to the local bookstore the next day, like a druggie looking for a fix, needing to know more. I found, with the help of a clerk, The Spark, buried in the Business section, only one copy
AnDrea
Being I am utterly obsessed with Cirque du Soleil I enjoyed this book to the fullest!
Lynnette Flatt
I think the reviews are a bit harsh for this fun little read. My opinion is that the book accomplished exactly what it set out to do. I have been in jobs or situations I didn't find personally inspiring, so I totally understood the author's growth process. He found something that gave him a renewed sense of purpose, and he applied the mental skills he learned. It's not a deep read at all, but it is a book that leaves you with a good feeling.
Marisa
This book is fantastic. It reminds you how you can have creativity on the job, no matter what that job is. It made me excited about what I do.
Chad
A good book that approached the heart to drive home some often forgotten things that are simple but powerful. Much akin to books like "Who Moved My Cheese" or "Peaks and Valleys". It is a worthwhile read- and even more so for those who enjoy the Cirque Du Soleil experience. The light reading makes it easy to get through but the lack of depth in delivery does not mean it will not lead to some depth in reflection.
Janice
I watched "KA" and "O" this Christmas with my aunt. We both love them and found they are too amazing.
Behind these amazing shows, we do not know what energize them and how to keep their passion every night to entertain the audiences. From "the Spark", I am inspired by the inputs from everyone in the company.
The shows keep flashing back in my mind which reminds me their efforts in the show.
  • A Smuggler's Bible
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • How to Avoid Making Art (or Anything Else You Enjoy)
  • CAD Monkeys, Dinosaur Babies, and T-Shaped People: Inside the World of Design Thinking and How It Can Spark Creativity and Innovati on
  • On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity
  • Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Learning by Heart: Teachings To Free The Creative Spirit
  • Bear Daughter
  • Grace & Grit: Spirituality & Healing in the Life & Death of Treya Killam Wilber
  • My Body Is a Book of Rules
  • The Soul's Religion: Cultivating a Profoundly Spiritual Way of Life
  • Beyond Love
  • Your Miracle Brain: Maximize Your Brainpower *Boost Your Memory *Lift Your Mood *Improve Your IQ and Creativity *Prevent and Reverse Mental Aging
  • The Daughters of Joy: An Adventure of the Heart
  • The Starseed Transmissions
  • When Everything Changes, Change Everything: In a Time of Turmoil, A Pathway to Peace
  • Emotional Chaos to Clarity: How to Live More Skillfully, Make Better Decisions, and Find Purpose in Life
John U. Bacon has written for Time, The New York Times, and ESPN Magazine, among other publications, earning national honors. He is the author of five books on sports and business, including Three and Out, Bo’s Lasting Lessons (with Bo Schembechler), a New York Times and Wall Street Journal business bestseller. Bacon teaches at Northwestern University and the University of Michigan and is a popula ...more
More about John U. Bacon...
Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football Fourth and Long: The Fight for the Soul of College Football Blue Ice: The Story of Michigan Hockey America's Corner Store: Walgreen's Prescription for Success Cirque Du Soleil (R) The Spark: Igniting the Creative Fire That Lives Within Us All