Start by marking “Cirque Du Soleil: The Spark: Igniting the Creative Fire That Lives Within Us All” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  354 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Creativity and innovation are widely recognized as essential to success in business, and so many aspects of our lives. For over two decades, Cirque du Soleil has been a world-renowned laboratory of creativity, enthralling audiences around the world by fusing dazzling acrobatics, staging and choreography, and music, along with beautiful costumes and technical effects to ins ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Broadway Business

To ask other readers questions about Cirque Du Soleil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cirque Du Soleil

Jackie
How do you say "Hokey" in French?
Flavio Guell Casalvolone
If you've ever been to a Cirque du Soleil show, you can tell their performers are unusual human beings who infuse an ecstatic passion to the audience, not only because of their stunts but -most importantly- because of the passion they emanate. Is there something that we can learn from them in order to lead more creative lives and enlighten others with joie-de-vivre? Well, there is. And a lot.

In order to live fully, you need to take risks: you have to trust that real feats come from taking leaps
Mark Rast
Mar 12, 2010 Mark Rast rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crap.
Amy
Dec 16, 2007 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts about how to challenge yourself every day to keep yourself motivated and loving what you do (making your career your calling). Presented in a novel format about a sports agent looking for ways to bring back the joy to his work. He ends up going to the Cirque du Soleil headquarters and working with many of the people responsible for the shows. Each person brings a new perspective, such as how to learn not to be afraid of success, how tighter deadlines can sometimes lead to more creative ...more
Rebecca
Jan 31, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I enjoyed: A glimpse behind the scenes of how Cirque du Soleil works and what goes into their creative process. While nothing new was presented in regards to creativity, it was a good reminder of how deadlines and other restrictions can be a good thing, be open and honest, and be childlike when creating.

What I disliked: The conversations came off as preachy and didn't sound at all like how people really talk. Sometimes it felt like a hard push to advertise Cirque, which the book didn't need
Byron
May 18, 2013 Byron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
Not a bad little book. There were a few moments where I felt a little twinkle of inspiration. Unfortunately, however, they were short-lived, and in the end I couldn't get over the self-congratulatory tone of the whole thing. I'll admit - Cirque is pretty cool. But I've heard Lyn Heward speak, so I can't say I was terribly surprised to find out who the heroine of this story was. In the end, it's a very quick read, and it wasn't too bad. But I can't give it more than 3 stars...I just can't.
Cecillia
A little book that helps us re-ignite that tiny spark inside every one of us :)
For those who feel stagnant in their daily lives and works, or for those who are simply big fans of Cirque du Soleil, i recommend this book. I happened to be both, but i give only 3 stars for this book. Actually i want to rate this 4 stars, but i hate the cover design...hahaha...well, not something i expect from a book that bear the name Cirque du Soleil on it, in my opinion :p
Kamy
Oct 14, 2008 Kamy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked it just enough to pass the 2-star mark. reads like a self-help book. interesting to learn about cirque du soleil. mildly inspiring passages. not worth it unless you are slightly desperate for inspiration.
Jon
Dec 02, 2008 Jon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off as though the author is trying to hard. The dramatization of his story telling lessens up the further I read. I just remembered; Its sister Jenny's book. I need to get it back to her.
Magdelanye
what an inspiring blueprint for a creative life!
I enjoyed reading about the behind the scenes at Cirque de Soleil.
Would have appreciated pictures!
Ronaldo Ricioli
Recomendo esta narrativa que leva o leitor direto aos bastidores desta incrível “instituição” chamada “Cirque du Soleil”. Não tive a oportunidade de assistir o espetáculo do Cirque ao vivo, mas é um “to do” na minha lista “obrigatórios”. Ganhei esse livro do meu irmão há um tempo atrás e só agora resolvi devorá-lo, comigo funciona muito a “hora certa para ler” as obras, não é possível extrair o melhor de cada obra se a leitura for “empurrada ou por garganta a baixo”.

Prefiro procurar na minha bib
Christian
Last year, I went to a gym management conference in San Fran. One of the keynote speakers was Lyn Heward. And though I don't remember the details of what she talked about, I remember that she was phenomenal. So when we were in Vegas and wandering the Ká gift shop after the show and I saw her book, I knew I had to buy it. Besides, knowing that I was going back into the job market (blech), I figured I could do with some good inspiration.

This book has some good inspiration, but I must confess to n
Mónica
Un comienzo bastante bueno, sin embargo, hacia la mitad del libro es un tanto predecible lo que escribe el autor, es lo malo con estos libros de autoayuda, sin embargo, a veces aunque uno ya lo sepa, necesitas que alguien venga y te lo diga o en este caso leerlo para ser consciente de lo que ya sabes, la primera mitad me gusto mucho pero después fue puro bla, bla, bla...
Cami Putnam
Oct 13, 2014 Cami Putnam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what went on behind the scenes at Cirque Du Soleil and the amazing attitude for life and love of the work that they perform. I found this book inspiring. Giving the reader a reason and a will to reach for ones best self and help others along the way. Life is short don't waist your time being mediocre aim high and bring people with you!
Doublezerodomino
Cirque! I've seen three of their shows live and it's fantastic to hear more about what goes on backstage. This is framed like a short fiction work, but it is based on the experiences of the co-author, who was allowed to explore and train with a cirque troupe for a brief time. It is an easy read full of adventure and inspiration, just what I need before a big audition!
Jay
Nov 28, 2013 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
Fictionalized story of a sports agent who decides he needs to rethink how he's doing business after seeing a Cirque du Soleil performance. Think "Jerry Maguire" but instead of writing a mission statement, this agent joins the circus. The story goes through the different people he meets in his month of training and touring with the company, where he is shown how they operate. Our agent takes this new learning back and changes his job. It was nice and short and lightweight. Not much of surprise he ...more
Dave Emmett
Sep 02, 2010 Dave Emmett rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, 2010, vpl
This was a perfect book to read right after Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us; in a way it was a case study of the type of organization that Drive suggests we need more of. Cirque values creativity, innovation, and collaboration above all else, and those are almost exactly what Dan Pink advocates for in Drive.

At first, I found the writing style somewhat... Hokey. It's sort of a mix between an autobiography and a novel, a fictionalized non-fiction story. But as the book went on
Crystal
Apr 27, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
I really liked this business management leadership title. I think that Lyn Heward did a great job of drawing you into the story while also conveying the principles of inspiration, enthusiasm, and a sincere joy of life and your job. I loved reading about the behind the scenes parts of Cirque du Soleil. Hearing about how the performances are created and how they keep all of their employees continually motivated was great for driving my creativity and inspiring me to reach further in my career. Thi ...more
PathPainters
Feb 17, 2015 PathPainters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always had an affinity for Cirque Du Soleil. This book is an inspiring story about how one man discovered Cirque Du Soleil and was so moved by the art and passion he saw that it helped him find his path again in life. It's a quick up lifting read!
Jenna
Jul 22, 2014 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in June of 2010 and I enjoyed it immensely. I enjoyed reading about the 'glamor', artistry, and hard work that goes into all the shows. The training, the creativity, ingenuity and talent.
Patricia
Jul 28, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamás había oído hablar del Circo del Sol, hasta que leí este libro, hace más de 10 años. Desde entonces he buscado con ansiedad la oportunidad de verlos en directo.
Yvonne
Aug 19, 2014 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fun to read and made me want to go see another Cirque Du Soleil show. Love all of the take away advice too.
Jamie Pennington
With out a doubt one of the best books I have read in a long, long time. Lefe transforming even. I am thinking about requiring my staff to read it. Great book.
Katie Hosier
Jul 03, 2014 Katie Hosier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational. A good book to read when you need a little bit of belief in the impossible.
Megan R
Nov 30, 2015 Megan R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit corny.. I enjoyed the parts about behind-the-scene practice, especially after seeing my first Cirque show a few weeks ago.
Karen C.
Jul 10, 2012 Karen C. rated it it was amazing
Well-written; excellent and clear points; shows why and how the author changed over time; a quick read.

After seeing my very first Cirque Du Soleil, Amaluna, in Montreal, I was completely blown away by how brilliant the show was and how sad that I knew nothing about the Cirque experience. While on vacation, I ran to the local bookstore the next day, like a druggie looking for a fix, needing to know more. I found, with the help of a clerk, The Spark, buried in the Business section, only one copy
AnDrea
Sep 04, 2014 AnDrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being I am utterly obsessed with Cirque du Soleil I enjoyed this book to the fullest!
Lynnette Flatt
Dec 02, 2014 Lynnette Flatt rated it really liked it
I think the reviews are a bit harsh for this fun little read. My opinion is that the book accomplished exactly what it set out to do. I have been in jobs or situations I didn't find personally inspiring, so I totally understood the author's growth process. He found something that gave him a renewed sense of purpose, and he applied the mental skills he learned. It's not a deep read at all, but it is a book that leaves you with a good feeling.
Marisa
Apr 30, 2015 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic. It reminds you how you can have creativity on the job, no matter what that job is. It made me excited about what I do.
  • Unlearn, Rewild: Earth Skills, Ideas and Inspiration for the Future Primitive
  • With or Without God: Why the Way We Live is More Important than What We Believe
  • Secrets of the Soil: New Solutions for Restoring Our Planet
  • Jump...And Your Life Will Appear: An Inch-by-Inch Guide to Making a Major Change
  • The Green Boat: Reviving Ourselves in Our Capsized Culture
  • A Smuggler's Bible
  • A Theory of Expanded Love
  • Building Findable Websites: Web Standards, Seo, and Beyond
  • The Creative Spirit
  • CAD Monkeys, Dinosaur Babies, and T-Shaped People: Inside the World of Design Thinking and How It Can Spark Creativity and Innovati on
  • At a Loss For Words: a Post-Romantic Novel
  • Your Miracle Brain: Maximize Your Brainpower *Boost Your Memory *Lift Your Mood *Improve Your IQ and Creativity *Prevent and Reverse Mental Aging
  • How to Avoid Making Art (or Anything Else You Enjoy)
  • Keeper'n Me
  • The Daughters of Joy: An Adventure of the Heart
  • What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education
  • The Afterlife of Stars
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
John U. Bacon has written for Time, The New York Times, and ESPN Magazine, among other publications, earning national honors. He is the author of five books on sports and business, including Three and Out, Bo’s Lasting Lessons (with Bo Schembechler), a New York Times and Wall Street Journal business bestseller. Bacon teaches at Northwestern University and the University of Michigan and is a popula ...more
More about John U. Bacon...