Start by marking “Public Secrets” as Want to Read:
Public Secrets

Public Secrets

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  11,024 Ratings  ·  417 Reviews
Emma.  Beautiful, intelligent, radiantly talented, she lives in a star-studded world of wealth and privilege.  But she is about to discover that fame is no protection at all when someone wants you dead....

All she has to do is close her eyes and she remembers the day Brian McAvoy swept into her life.  A frightened toddler, she didn't know then that she was his illegitimate
Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Public Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Public Secrets

jenjn79
Apr 23, 2008 jenjn79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
Public Secrets isn't one of Nora Roberts most popular books. It's not one that gets mentioned much and I know a lot of her readers don't particularly care for it. But there's something about this book that thoroughly captures me. It's one of my all-time favorite books. I think I've read it about 6 times now.

It's a rather atypical romance novel (semi-romantic suspense) because the romance doesn't really come into play seriously until the last 150 pages. This book is more about the heroine, Emma,
Beth
Apr 19, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Wow, this is... intense. I want to say it reminds me of Coming Home, a little bit, because they've both got this - atmosphere, I guess - that conveys such a sense of reality. As if the story is already known and is simply being transcribed. Not the sort of work where you think about plot and pacing, just about the inexorable march of time. The almost inevitability of the ending, something hard-won after years of work put into making it from day to day. The courage of everyday living.

I wish there
Carina Carvalho
Jul 11, 2016 Carina Carvalho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5
Nora Roberts não desilude
Neste livro acompanhamos a vida de Emma desde os três anos e vamos acompanhando as histórias de todos as seu redor.
Só não dou 5 porque achei que no fim o relacionamento de Emma e de ..... (Não quero fazer spoiler) Devia ter sido diferente...
Ele merecia mais!!
Laura V.
Un secreto a voces, también conocido como Alegrías y desgracias en la vida de Emma McAvoy

Definitivamente, este es un libro de la época en la que Nora no sabía resumir. ¿Eran necesarias QUINIENTAS páginas para profundizar en el pasado de un personaje?

Con un capítulo YO hubiera estado igual de tranqui. Pequeños flashbacks, qué se yo. No entiendo porqué tuvo que ser tan minuciosa para describir toda la infancia, adolescencia de Emma.

La parte interesante (el romance) llega en la página 450/600. Y
Michelle
Dec 29, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I purchased the book last year, it looked vaguely familiar. Let me be clear; I have read a LOT of Nora Roberts. Between haunting the library shelves in Germany for her books and purchasing almost all of the rest, I do believe that I have read most of her books. There are only a few I have not gotten around to reading. When I bought Public Secrets, I thought this was one of those that remained unread. After reading the first page, I remembered the story. It turns out I did read it more than ...more
Tempo de Ler
Oct 07, 2016 Tempo de Ler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Filha das Estrelas é um bom exemplar do trabalho de Nora Roberts. Gostei especialmente que o livro fosse tão completo em relação à protagonista, Emma, que acompanhamos ao longo da sua vida, desde pequenina, passando pelos diversos episódios que, para o bem ou para o mal, a moldaram. A escritora levou-me a criar genuína afeição por Emma, uma ligação fortificada pelo sofrimento da personagem.

Ao mesmo tempo, Roberts conseguiu que todas as personagens tivessem o seu espaço na narrativa, mas sem qu
Bridget
Apr 29, 2013 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an oldie but a goodie. I first read Public Secrets over 15 years ago and since then I continually pick it back up for a reread. I just finished rereading the story after a good 7 or 8 year break and I am so happy to say that it's still as compelling, intriguing, and delightful as it was the first time I read it.

This story in particular is a favorite of mine as it follow the story of not just the main character Emma, but an entire cast of characters that you love to love and love to hate
Zwart Raafje
Jul 06, 2016 Zwart Raafje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Op basis van bovenstaande samenvatting zou je als lezer een uiterst spannend boek verwachten. Dat zou ik zelf ook doen mocht dit mijn allereerste Nora Roberts-boek zijn. Er zit zeker enige mate van spanning – of eerder mysterie – door dit verhaal heen verweven maar … het vormt zeker niet de belangrijkste factor.

Eén van de zaken die er voor zorgen dat ik de boeken van deze schrijfster zo graag lees is de manier waarop en de mate waarin ze haar personages uitwerkt. Binnen de kortste keren leef je
Sonia Cristina
Apr 09, 2016 Sonia Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: português, 2016
Quando comecei hoje a ler, faltavam 265 páginas para terminar e tencionava dividir a leitura por 3 dias mas estava a gostar tanto, mas tanto que tirei a tarde para o despachar. A sério, nunca pensei que fosse possível gostar tanto. Afinal, este livro tem elementos que me fazem desprezar uma leitura, como seja passar-se há umas décadas atrás, a ação estender-se por diversos anos, não é apenas um romance de amor + um mistério como é mais usual em NR mas sim a vida de Emma durante 20 anos.

Confesso
Lizzy
Mar 08, 2008 Lizzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Scott Rhine
The characterization and settings are superb. based solely on this, it would have been a 5. but after a while the detail is too much. For about an hour's worth of crime drama, you need to span 20 years. There were scenes where the person has traveled hours to ask one life-or-death question. Rather than ask, they draw it out for a page saying "I'm going to ask a question," or neglect to share a vital piece of information entirely. I found myself wanting to edit several times. Whole chapters, such ...more
fleurette
I have really mixed feelings about this book. I generally love all the books by Nora Roberts and this one is really well written. But I haven't enjoyed it as much as some of her other books.

First, I was definitely expecting something completely different. I was thinking about a good romantic suspense with nice developed characters and a bit of this rock star glitter. Instead it is a story more into woman's fiction genre or even a very well-written biography of a non-existing person, Emma. Really
Lora Tihomirova
Feb 01, 2011 Lora Tihomirova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I simply loved this book. I honestly couldn't put it down. The characters were touching and real, not flawless and perfect but real.
What I hated was being in Emma's head. Not the writing hate, I just loved the story, but rather the existantial hate. I don't want to think of child abuse, that's just one of the most horrible things out there. And the worst of it was that, even when she grew up in a loving environment with all luxuries etc., in the end she was still the traumatised little girl who
Cecely
Aug 21, 2012 Cecely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not one of my favorites from Roberts, but it was well written and a good read. Most of the reasoning for my rating has to do with pacing. It's not that the story ever lags, but there was a section I felt lasted too many chapters. That being said, it's more of my personal distaste for the subject matter going on in the story--brutal domestic abuse and violence against children. It makes me sick to even read about such things and know they exist in reality. So, though it may be a bit unfa ...more
Christina
Feb 17, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing! It's not a typical romance, more of a story about the girl Emma and her life which at times is quite tragic. But I just loved this book and found myself unable to put it down. I felt like I was right along with Emma experiencing and feeling all of these events and emotions with her. It's a not so glamorous side to life but I truly loved it and again, Roberts will NEVER disapoint!
Ana
Apr 14, 2016 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts é uma autora que me surpreender sempre. Mesmo depois 60 e muitos livros que partilhamos juntas (ela escreve, eu leio). É verdade que os seus livros não podem ser considerados Nobel da literatura, mas todos eles têm um fio condutor, a capacidade de nos entreter durante cada minuto que dura a leitura e não será este o objectivo principal quando pegamos num livro?
Jim
Jan 09, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most wonderfull book I've ever read! The book has it all, love, happiness and sadness. It's the first book that made me have tears in my eyes, some where from happiness but there where also tears of sadness. But everything meaningful in the book and I love the happy end!!!!
Mojca
Although this story spans 23 years, telling the life of the heroine, Emma McAvoy, from just before her third birthday to the beginning of the nineties, from the moment she met her father, through her adolescence, her first crush, through a disastrous marriage, to the moment she discovers the truth about a tragic incident in her youth, I didn't understand the woman. Maybe I didn't because I couldn't connect or empathize with her due to the fact I didn't live such a life, or maybe I couldn't becau ...more
Linz Bassett
I could not put this book down! Everything I did I just wanted to stop and read Public Secrets. It is so good! I really enjoyed reading about Emma, Brian, and his band mates. The story is well developed and interesting to read. I did think the romance and mystery aspect was a bit predictable but other than it was really enjoyable.

For my complete review check out http://linzthebookworm.blogspot.com/2...
Shauni
I have great memories of this book and decided it was time to take Nora Roberts Public Secrets off the shelf and enjoy it once more. While it was definitely as good as I remembered there was so much more to this book than just a romance. In fact I wouldn't really even call this book a Romance but because NR wrote it, the publishing industry lacks imagination and insists on calling it so.

This book is a retrospective of life, love, family, connections and how you learn to deal with it all.

At the
Erica
Jun 20, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
Feb 02, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis above, not going to make my own.

This was a great book from Nora Roberts, better than some of the others I have read. It is one of her time progression novels, so a lot of the book is about Emma's childhood and the lives of the band members. The major romance between Emma and Michael doesn't really begin until after half of the book is already over with, somewhere in the last 175 pages or so.

I loved reading about all the lives in this book, though. Usually NR focuses on the main two cha
Rowan
Jul 06, 2016 Rowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of negative reviews about this book and I think it is because people expect romance from Nora Roberts and this was so much more. To me this was an intense and dramatic character study of Emma McAvoy. She starts life as the daughter of a miserable and abusive junkie mother who cares about nothing more than herself and her fix. Her father, a rock and roll icon, didn't know she existed for years and when he learns of her existence he rescues her and she begins a new life with him ...more
Jonetta
Emma McAvoy met her rock star father for the first time at the age of three when her mother, a pitiful but vengeful mess, forced the interaction. Brian McAvoy had no idea of her existence and fell in love with his daughter, his spitting image, at first sight. From here on out, the tale unfolds about their lives, a saga of heartache, betrayal, love and commitment.

It's hard to capsulize this book into a one-paragraph summary as it chronicles the lives of this family over a 20-year time span. Even
Teena in Toronto
I liked this book ... there was a lot to it and a lot going on.

It starts out in the 1970s in the early years when the English rock band, Devastation, is just starting to become famous. Emma's father, Brian, is the lead singer and she's friends with the other three guys in the band. There's lots of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll along with the times a'changin'.

We follow Emma after her brother dies, until she's in her twenties, and everyone in her family and circle. I liked the characters we are supp
 Mary
Me alegré muchísimo cuando editaron este libro al español y mucho más cuando lo encontré en la librería. Es espectacular, tiene tanta trama y personajes que es realmente difícil comentarlo en pocas palabras, pero a pesar de ser un poco largo, ya que narra la vida de los miembros de una banda de rock y su familia a través de 20 años, el libro es fluido con la perfecta cantidad de detalles para no perderse durante los saltos de tiempo sin llegar a ser tedioso, en otras palabras la combinación perf ...more
Caitlin
Jul 21, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michele
Aug 07, 2011 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little slow in the beginning as it built the story, but the book was great! You find you needed all the slow moments to build to the end! It was such a great story to watch Emma grow up and see the world through her eyes as a child, a teenager and then to adult. It showed her handling stardom and becoming her own person. And then when she falls in love...it was painful to read about but in the end...she stood up and took control.

I so recommend this book! It is definitely worth t
Trewen
May 20, 2012 Trewen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemp, nora-roberts
I really liked this story until the end.
So I knocked the rating down a bit.

Such an engaging story that spans about 20 years. When I put the book down, the characters stayed fresh in my mind and I couldn't wait to see them again.
The down fall for me was the Hero. He was a good guy but I found him to be too impatient for our Heroine and then when they're finally together I never felt a real connection between them.
Also, the ending, which finally wraps up a major piece of the story was way too tidy
ʝαиє
2015 Reading Chal...: Public Secrets by Nora Roberts 2 26 Aug 20, 2015 01:22PM
TeenReads: Public Secrets Review 2 14 Feb 25, 2015 01:24AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Purity in Death (In Death, #15)
  • Running Scared (Rarities Unlimited, #2)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Mirror Image
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

“Shall I tell you what rock and roll is, Johnno, from someone who doesn't perform, but observes?
It's restless and rude. It's defiant and daring. It's a fist shaken at age. It's a voice that often screams out questions because the answers are always changing. The very young play it because they're searching for some way to express their anger or joy, their confusion and their dreams. Once in a while, and only once in a while, someone comes along who truly understands, who has the gift to transfer all those needs and emotions into music.”
22 likes