The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)

The Last Legends of Earth (Radix #4)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"A grand and glorious visionary epic."-Robert Silverberg *** Set in the artificial planetary system of Chalco-Doror, which is no more and no less than a vast cosmic machine, The Last Legends of Earth is a love story, a gripping saga of struggle against alien control, and an examination of the machinery of creation and destruction. Above all, it is world-building of the hig...more
Leather Bound, 481 pages
Published 1989 by Easton Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Legends of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Legends of Earth

Meggan
Spoiler free summary: An alien archaeologist digs through dead Earth's past to use humans as bait for the purpose of intergalactic pest control. Humans don't like being bait for alien spiders who drink their neurological pain endorphins, so they resist, ally, or betray one another to the exterminator. Centipedes, spiders, humans, gnomes, robots, ghosts, and zombies clash in a space war fought across 15 planets and two sentient "suns" that are actually machines designed to maintain the insect tra...more
Peter
Complex. Disjointed, in a way. I didn't realize it when I began, but this is the fourth book by Attanasio in a tetrad devoted to the four cardinal dimensions that rule our lives - height, depth, width, time. In retrospect, it makes sense for the one about time to be disjointed. That's not a bad thing, of course.

Distant. As with any book that covers a span of seven thousand years, there are plenty of characters that are introduced, make their effects felt, and disappear - a handful of characters...more
Harold Ogle
Aug 03, 2012 Harold Ogle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jack Vance fans, space opera nuts, science fiction fans
WARNING to my friends: do NOT read reviews or summaries of this book on Goodreads, as every one I've seen has casually given away a big portion of the book, explaining what's going on in a way that the book intentionally takes a long time to reveal. A second NOTE: this book stands alone, so do not be fooled by the "Radix #4" label, as if it is fourth in a larger cycle.

That said, this is an A.A. Attanasio book. Among other things, this means that it is a big story that has been intentionally and...more
Nathan
Quite possibly the best science fiction book I have ever read. And that's saying a lot. Epic on a scale rarely attempted in a series, let alone a single novel.
GCB-LovesGoodBooks
This is a most excellent of reads if you like epic science fiction/ fantasy. I have read it twice and will read it again. It is brilliantly written. It is delicious like the very best dessert and when you are finished reading, it is the moment when all the dessert is gone. But you are full, content and possibly introspective and savoring the taste in your mouth.
J.T. Hartke
I read this book in High School, when it first came out. I have also committed to reading it again as an adult.

I was drawn into it instantly. I loved its exploration of what love, life, and death are all about, while inside a vastly weird and wonderful plot involving mankind as bait -- bait who earns the compassion of its fisherman.
Brent Hayward
One of the craziest plots ever. Attanasio uses language beautifully.
Stephanie
A fantastic read. Attanasio really should return to science fiction as it is what he does best. This dense, imaginitive story is a must read for anyone who enjoyed Radix. This is another book I re-read every few years and it always leaves me saying "wow....".

From Last Legends of Earth: "We are all fugitives. We have always been fugitives from the void. Whatever comfort, whatever power we gain from outside ourselves diminishes us - because comfort and power, unless they are won from the void ins...more
Brian
It's big (huge, collossal, overwhelmingly large) in time, societies and surroundings. It's complicated, with characters coming and going and coming and going, sometimes in both directions. And it's interesting, in a "how the heck is this all going to hang together?" kind of way. But,as much as the authour tries desparately to hold the whole thing together, in my case he failed to hold onto my interest. The best characters and civilizations come and go, and the boring, underdeveloped, predictable...more
Salam
LLOE, as Attanasio's fans refer to it, is a science-fiction epic and should be a classic. The scope and dazzling brilliance of the book defy easy description. It tells the story of characters living in a universe created by a god-like alien for the sole purpose of attracting and destroying another alien race of predators. The humans who inhabit its worlds are bait for the predators. Earth, their original home, has long since been destroyed. They have been recreated from waveforms in the void of...more
Jeremiah J.
This book has the most outrageous plot I've ever encountered, but the author never loses control and the book provides a fantastic read.
Brian Welch
Hands down one of the best SF books ever written and one of my favorite books of all time. The plot is, essentially, a love story across time, space, death, and reality. The story sprawls across six thousand years and involves a number of characters, but always seems to drive forward with purpose. The settings and storylines are imaginative and grandiose. The core themes of the book are epic and unforgettable.
Zane Jon Dickens
This is a complex massive saga that somehow the author fits into 400 pages, it felt vaster than Wheel of Time, yet succinct and well paced. It does have tangents where certain characters come in seemingly randomly but they do tie in and I felt there were no loose ends. As a young writer I recommend it to all aspiring authors as it has a style and structure that is very different.
Aaron
A very complex -- ultimately too complex -- story, with many characters, settings, and ideas. Lot's and lots of ideas, philosophical, metaphysical, and scientific. Very beautiful descriptions, with an original, unexpected, yet very fitting, use of words. The scattered nature of the story, however, prevents the book from being truly great.
Myrto
Although I liked the spiritual overtones (like the Tryl), the story-line of this book was so convoluted that it was easy to get lost. There are many characters and their stories get fragmented. Attanasio's Arthurian series had me spellbound. This book felt like heavy going.
Cal Clapp
Attanasio is a master wordsmith of the metaphysical and spiritual with a solid foundation in complex transformations. The authors insight and imagination is wonderful!
Punk
Dec 01, 2013 Punk marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Phoenix Pick's free ebook of the month for December, DRM-free in a variety of formats.
Jeff
Excellently written and will draw you in. Makes you empathize with ALL characters! I will be seeking out more of this authors work.
Martin
This is an interesting and enjoyable book. Way out there from a science stand point but not completely unbelievable.
Joseph Guyan
Last read this about 10 years ago, still one of my favourite books ever.
Nicholas Hunter
Well written, original and inventive speculative fiction.
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 11, 2014
Ronald Justin
Ronald Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Pbwebb
Pbwebb marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sequel?? 1 6 May 03, 2010 04:16PM
  • Starfarers
  • Neverness (A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, #0)
  • Floating Worlds
  • Encounter with Tiber
  • The Ages of Chaos (Darkover Omnibus, #2)
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • After Long Silence
  • Vitals
  • Starborne
  • Forty Thousand in Gehenna (Unionside, #1)
  • The Kinsman Saga
  • Odd John
  • The Jewels of Aptor
  • The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)
  • Sister Alice
  • Tomorrow and Tomorrow
  • Litany of the Long Sun (The Book of the Long Sun, #1-2)
  • Norstrilia
I’m a novelist and student of the imagination living in Honolulu. Fantasies, visions, hallucinations or whatever we call those irrational powers that illuminate our inner life fascinate me. I’m particularly intrigued by the creative intelligence that scripts our dreams. And I love carrying this soulful energy outside my mind, into the one form that most precisely defines who we are: story.
More about A.A. Attanasio...
The Dragon and the Unicorn (Arthor, #1) Radix (Radix, #1) The Eagle and the Sword (Arthor, #2) The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3) Wyvern