Start by marking “Candy Houses (Grimm's Circle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Candy Houses (Grimm's Circle, #1)

Candy Houses (Grimm's Circle #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  32 reviews
So you think you know fairy tales? Guess again.

Greta didn’t get her happy ending her first time around. And now that she’s a Grimm—special kind of guardian angel and official ass-kicker in the paranormal world—romance is hard to find. Besides, there’s only ever been one man who made her heart race, and the fact that he did scared her right out of his arms. Now Rip is back....more
Published October 6th 2009 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Candy Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candy Houses

Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Greta is a Grimm, a guardian angel of sorts that fights demon takeovers. Greta is better known as Gretel (uh huh, that Gretel) and the stories about her couldn’t be further from the truth. Then there is Rip (yep, Van Winkle) and he sets Greta’s heart a pitter patter but it scared her so bad she took off.

Now both of them are on a mission that brings them together and puts them both in danger, but the attraction between them might be a tad more dangerous.

Greta no longer wants to be called Gretel b...more
Jennifer Estep
Gretel from the old fairy tale Hansel and Gretel gets a makeover in this fairy tale retelling by Shiloh Walker. She calls herself Greta now, and she's a Grimm -- a warrior who protects humans from demons. Greta is feeling rather bored, but that quickly changes when she comes across a girl in trouble -- and Rip, another Grimm warrior. Greta has been trying to forget Rip for years now, but she can't deny her attraction to him any longer -- especially when the two of them are being hunted by a dang...more
Calisto
A new take on fairy tales.

A friend rec'd this series to me and I'm glad they did. Grimm's Circle is more than your typical paranormal romance. There is a strong vein of Urban Fiction throughout this universe.

Greta is a Grimm. A type of guardian angel avenger (no worries, there are no feathers here) whose job is to protect humanity from demons. Her latest job involves the one Grimm that sets her heart a racing.

I really liked both main characters, the universe and the story. Ms. Walker can certai...more
Witchmag's Boekenplank
Greta is bored, she doesn’t have anything to do lately as a Grimm. But that all changes when she’s attracted by something, while walking down the street. Someone needs her! When she arrives at the place her feelings led her to, she sees a young girl, surrounded by two Orin and with a book of demons in her hands. That doesn’t look good…

At the same time, not far from where Greta sees the girl, Rip is busy with destroying another demon when he smells Greta, with a Bocan! He runs to her aid as fast
marlene
A super quick read form Walker. The story gives a new spin on our Grimm fairy tale characters. An actual new take on them.

The story was written from two very different PoVs. we had Greta, and Rip. i loved Greta's voice. she was a refreshing read to say the least. the switch back and forth to the different PoVs was easy to follow and flowed seamlessly. sometimes i get a little twitchy about going back and forth but that wasn't a problem in this story.

in this world our fairy tales were all human...more
E.
4 1/2 stars.
"Candy Houses" by Shiloh Walker is the first novella in her Grimm series, a very different take on familiar fairy tales and fables. Forget everything you remember about the story of Hansel and Gretel and allow yourself to be drawn into this mesmerizing tale of Greta, a woman who survived the torture inflicted upon her by her evil stepmother and stepbrother and became a Grimm. Those who become Grimm have their work cut out for them, to protect the mortals on earth from the monsters wh...more
Alexandra Spurgeon
I chose this book for a reading challenge because the promise of the book sounded fun. A Grimms fairy tale...gussied up a bit for adults. It is the Grimms story of Hansel and Gretel. except Gretel goes by Greta and is a Grimm, a fighter, a warrior for all the things that go bump in the night

The story has 3 tellers; Greta POV, Rip POV and narrator. The author missed the chance to capture an audience. Instead she switches back and forth between the tellers. Quite confusing and i personally don't l...more
Tracy
A Gem More Grim than Grimm
The Grimm brothers have nothing on Shiloh Walker, who tells a mean tale. Literally. This grim twist on Grimm is original, unique, and interesting, and Walker has penned another dark, rich novella to start an exciting new series. So much urban fantasy and paranormal romance is based around the idea that there's always a kernel of truth in all folk lore and fairy tales, and Walker not only embraces that ideology, she slams into it, tackles it to the ground, and hog ties i...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this series but my definite first attraction was the fact that this series is based on fairytales. There aren't enough erotic books out there that play on this, so I was super excited. I should've known that this being a Shiloh Walker book, I wasn't going to get flowery fairytales. And I couldn't be more pleased. The Grimm's Circle series is not your everyday fairytale, it's better.

CANDY HOUSES was dark and a bit gr...more
Heather C (Darkly Reading)
I am, of course, a sucker for tormented male main characters and damaged yet strong heroines. Thankfully, in Candy Houses, that particular sweet tooth is indulged. The book has elements of urban fantasy, fairy tales, and romance that are put together exceptionally well. The main characters, Rip and Greta are Grimms, which are kind of like super sexy ass-kicking guardian angels. The Grimms protect humanity from demons that try to take over human bodies and destroy the soul that resides in the bod...more
Kathy
J.A. Kenney
I liked but did not love this story. The mythos was interesting...and the love story was fulfilling.

My main discontent was a factor of this being a novella. A lack of character and world development leaving a lot of gray areas. That and the fairy tales.

A lot could have been done with the Grimm tales, but the references were more a list of what was not right, which was pretty much everything other than the names.

And there was a minor consistency issue with whether vampires exist...

So, worth rea...more
Kelly
Do you remember growing up and hearing those old fairy tales and thinking "Oh, magic! And Happily Ever After!"? Then when you're older you get the real version and you realize it's not all roses and fairy godmothers and such. Yeah. These books lean more to toward the wall of thorns side of the spectrum. Which is, you know, cool because those fairy tales were crazy bloody and sometimes just downright crazy.

Having read these books out of order, I think the later books are a bit tighter story-wise....more
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
Sometimes a girl just needs a good ole does of smut to cheer her up. :) That's what I was thinking when I bought this book. I'm helping my cousin through a nasty divorce and my opinion about guys has been somewhat negative as of late, so I figured this type of book would be exactly what I need to perk myself up. And WHOA MOMMA was this an awesome book! I really like the mythology behind the Grimms and the way they each ahve a history that ties into a fairytale/folklore. And the characters were r...more
Jackie (Literary Escapism)
Overall, Candy Houses is an amazing story, and while it is an ebook, it is totally worth the effort of getting and reading it. There are not very many books that make me instantly want to get a sequel enough to preorder it, but as soon as I heard No Prince Charming was going to be released, that’s exactly what I did. In fact, I can tell you exactly how many novels I’ve preordered in the past two years, because I’ve only done it twice. Seriously, Candy Houses is a fabulous and everyone should be...more
Djg
Actually read this a couple of years ago and just re-read it.

I like the world building, but I think the romance got a bit lost in it. Both characters were likable but I wasn't crazy about the shifting POV even though it was easy to follow.

Overall, a good read by a solid author. I'll probably purchase the next in the series with the hope that the relationship will be more central (now that the setting is established).
Katilyn
A new take on all the old fairy tales! This book is great, Shiloh can keep you on the edge of your seat with a action, while pulling at your heart strings. She also doesn't leave anything to the imagination when it comes to the sec scenes. I wish that the book wad longer but all in all a fantastic read and I would recommend to anyone.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Rip and Greta. Greta, why don't you just rip his heart out? This was the first in the Grimm series which I enjoyed. I'm hooked on reading these fast and short books. None of them are too complex but the way they loosely involve the Grimm Fairy Tales was a nice touch.
Angelina Justice
This story fell short of what I'd imagined. The underlying concept was good but was not well fleshed out. The romance was too sudden and lacked depth. The sex scenes were flat and 2-dimensional. Great potential...but reads like fan fiction.
Tasha
Mar 30, 2012 Tasha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tasha by: Colette
Shelves: satire-fairy-tale, uf
Loved the romance between Rip and Greta, but the demon thing was kinda boring.
Read the review on Truth Beauty Freedom and Books>>>
Michelle Leah Olson
Not too bad. Liked the fairytale undercurrent. Doesn't play a big role, but is a very interesting way to set up back story. :-). The romance was good...the leading male very poetic. We'll see how the rest of the series goes...
Nikki
This is my first from this author and I have to say, I really liked it! A nice twist on fairy tales with a little bit of erotica thrown in! I'll definitely be checking out the next in this series.
Steve
Samantha
This could have been a good story but the language was just too much. Steamy love scenes are ruined when you use profanity. I won't be picking up anymore of this series.
Mary Lauer
Good, but I thought that there wasn't enough (it was only a novella, so not enough space!) development over why all of a sudden Greta felt that she could stay with Rip.
Maria Almeida
loved it felt for Greta people who have been abused in the past may understand her views on many things
Shelley
Interesting but not very thought provoking. Something to pass a rainy day away.
Marianne
Interesting world and likeable characters. Will check out more of the series.
Jamie Patty
Really enjoyed this book!
Deborah
Jul 02, 2010 Deborah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Paranormal,Erotica
Shiloh Walker Boo...: September's Book 41 67 Nov 01, 2012 11:09AM
  • Little Red and the Wolf
  • Earth
  • Slave Princess (Sons of Lyra, #1)
  • Mr. Real (Code of Shadows, #1)
  • Undertow (Building Sanctuary, #2)
  • The Grass King's Concubine
  • Secrets
  • The Night Beat (Necropolis Enforcement Files #1)
  • Kiss of the Goblin Prince (Shadowlands, #2)
  • Game Over (Guardian, #1)
  • A Stolen Season
  • The Flight of the Griffin (The Flight of the Griffin, #1)
  • The Promise
  • The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments, #1)
  • Blood Moon (Moonstruck, #1)
  • Summer in the City of Sails
  • Sin's Daughter (Otherkin, #0.5)
  • Spirit Binder (The Cascadian Chronicles #1)
Hello... thanks for swinging by. I don't log into Goodreads much, so if you have questions, please visit my website to email me through my site.
Thank you!

My other me.... J.C. Daniels

Bio...

Shiloh Walker has been writing since she was a kid. She fell in love with vampires with the book Bunnicula and has worked her way up to the more...ah...serious vampire stories. She loves reading and writing anyt...more
More about Shiloh Walker...
If You Hear Her (The Ash Trilogy, #1) Fragile (Rafferty, #1) Broken (Rafferty, #2) The Missing (The FBI Psychics, #1) If You See Her (The Ash Trilogy, #2)