Start by marking “Candy Houses (Grimm's Circle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Candy Houses (Grimm's Circle, #1)

Candy Houses (Grimm's Circle #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  472 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
So you think you know fairy tales? Guess again.

Greta didn’t get her happy ending her first time around. And now that she’s a Grimm—special kind of guardian angel and official ass-kicker in the paranormal world—romance is hard to find. Besides, there’s only ever been one man who made her heart race, and the fact that he did scared her right out of his arms. Now Rip is back.
Published October 6th 2009 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Candy Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candy Houses

Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Greta is a Grimm, a guardian angel of sorts that fights demon takeovers. Greta is better known as Gretel (uh huh, that Gretel) and the stories about her couldn’t be further from the truth. Then there is Rip (yep, Van Winkle) and he sets Greta’s heart a pitter patter but it scared her so bad she took off.

Now both of them are on a mission that brings them together and puts them both in danger, but the attraction between them might be a tad more dangerous.

Greta no longer wants to be called Gretel b
Iris
Jan 11, 2015 Iris rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011, paranormal
Greta is bored, she doesn’t have anything to do lately as a Grimm. But that all changes when she’s attracted by something, while walking down the street. Someone needs her! When she arrives at the place her feelings led her to, she sees a young girl, surrounded by two Orin and with a book of demons in her hands. That doesn’t look good…

At the same time, not far from where Greta sees the girl, Rip is busy with destroying another demon when he smells Greta, with a Bocan! He runs to her aid as fast
Alexandra Storm
I chose this book for a reading challenge because the promise of the book sounded fun. A Grimms fairy tale...gussied up a bit for adults. It is the Grimms story of Hansel and Gretel. except Gretel goes by Greta and is a Grimm, a fighter, a warrior for all the things that go bump in the night

The story has 3 tellers; Greta POV, Rip POV and narrator. The author missed the chance to capture an audience. Instead she switches back and forth between the tellers. Quite confusing and i personally don't l
Jennifer Estep
Aug 10, 2010 Jennifer Estep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gretel from the old fairy tale Hansel and Gretel gets a makeover in this fairy tale retelling by Shiloh Walker. She calls herself Greta now, and she's a Grimm -- a warrior who protects humans from demons. Greta is feeling rather bored, but that quickly changes when she comes across a girl in trouble -- and Rip, another Grimm warrior. Greta has been trying to forget Rip for years now, but she can't deny her attraction to him any longer -- especially when the two of them are being hunted by a dang ...more
Calisto
A new take on fairy tales.

A friend rec'd this series to me and I'm glad they did. Grimm's Circle is more than your typical paranormal romance. There is a strong vein of Urban Fiction throughout this universe.

Greta is a Grimm. A type of guardian angel avenger (no worries, there are no feathers here) whose job is to protect humanity from demons. Her latest job involves the one Grimm that sets her heart a racing.

I really liked both main characters, the universe and the story. Ms. Walker can certai
marlene
Dec 18, 2009 marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A super quick read form Walker. The story gives a new spin on our Grimm fairy tale characters. An actual new take on them.

The story was written from two very different PoVs. we had Greta, and Rip. i loved Greta's voice. she was a refreshing read to say the least. the switch back and forth to the different PoVs was easy to follow and flowed seamlessly. sometimes i get a little twitchy about going back and forth but that wasn't a problem in this story.

in this world our fairy tales were all human
J.A. Kenney
I liked but did not love this story. The mythos was interesting...and the love story was fulfilling.

My main discontent was a factor of this being a novella. A lack of character and world development leaving a lot of gray areas. That and the fairy tales.

A lot could have been done with the Grimm tales, but the references were more a list of what was not right, which was pretty much everything other than the names.

And there was a minor consistency issue with whether vampires exist...

So, worth rea
Theresa
This is the first book of the series “Grimm’s Circle. If any of you have seen and/or like the new TV Show ‘Grimm’ (I do), I’ll let you know right of the bat that, other than the name Grimm, there’s not much similarity. The TV show is one of the resons I started reading this, which was written before, but I'm having trouble keeping the diffences sorted in my head.

The book Grimm’s are ‘guardian angels’ chosen to fight demons (instead of Wesen). They are extremely hard to kill and each has a spec
E.
Sep 11, 2012 E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, erotica
4 1/2 stars.
"Candy Houses" by Shiloh Walker is the first novella in her Grimm series, a very different take on familiar fairy tales and fables. Forget everything you remember about the story of Hansel and Gretel and allow yourself to be drawn into this mesmerizing tale of Greta, a woman who survived the torture inflicted upon her by her evil stepmother and stepbrother and became a Grimm. Those who become Grimm have their work cut out for them, to protect the mortals on earth from the monsters wh
Tracy
Apr 09, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
A Gem More Grim than Grimm
The Grimm brothers have nothing on Shiloh Walker, who tells a mean tale. Literally. This grim twist on Grimm is original, unique, and interesting, and Walker has penned another dark, rich novella to start an exciting new series. So much urban fantasy and paranormal romance is based around the idea that there's always a kernel of truth in all folk lore and fairy tales, and Walker not only embraces that ideology, she slams into it, tackles it to the ground, and hog ties i
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this series but my definite first attraction was the fact that this series is based on fairytales. There aren't enough erotic books out there that play on this, so I was super excited. I should've known that this being a Shiloh Walker book, I wasn't going to get flowery fairytales. And I couldn't be more pleased. The Grimm's Circle series is not your everyday fairytale, it's better.

CANDY HOUSES was dark and a bit gr
Heather C (Darkly Reading)
I am, of course, a sucker for tormented male main characters and damaged yet strong heroines. Thankfully, in Candy Houses, that particular sweet tooth is indulged. The book has elements of urban fantasy, fairy tales, and romance that are put together exceptionally well. The main characters, Rip and Greta are Grimms, which are kind of like super sexy ass-kicking guardian angels. The Grimms protect humanity from demons that try to take over human bodies and destroy the soul that resides in the bod ...more
Kathy
Plainweird
Okay... first review of 2015!!

Read this book this afternoon, and although its not the first book I've read by this author, I must say the plotline was quite intriguing; but still, the way it was written made it difficult for me to follow the actions, to imagine what was going on in each scene and ... BRIEF! I don't know if I flicked through it, but before I realized, it was over.

Jury's still out on reading the next one in the saga.

Kelly
Do you remember growing up and hearing those old fairy tales and thinking "Oh, magic! And Happily Ever After!"? Then when you're older you get the real version and you realize it's not all roses and fairy godmothers and such. Yeah. These books lean more to toward the wall of thorns side of the spectrum. Which is, you know, cool because those fairy tales were crazy bloody and sometimes just downright crazy.

Having read these books out of order, I think the later books are a bit tighter story-wise.
Lisa
Sep 25, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start to the series. I liked the characters. I did have problems at times with PO. Sometimes it wasn't clear at first who was saying or doing what. And the beginning was a bit choppy like the author wasn't sure how she wanted to start off the book.. But over all it was a good story. With an interesting concept and characters. I look forward to reading more of the series.

****Gifted ARC copy****
L.
Cheryl
Jan 08, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure what to really think about this story. I liked the fairy tell premise of it all but I just can't put my finger on what was actually wrong with the book. I loved how the book began and who the characters were. I liked the twist on the characters but I am not sure if the characters were evolved enough. I never got a good sense of who these people really were or what made them who they became. There did not seem to be much substance to any portion of the book which is maybe why it too ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Sometimes a girl just needs a good ole does of smut to cheer her up. :) That's what I was thinking when I bought this book. I'm helping my cousin through a nasty divorce and my opinion about guys has been somewhat negative as of late, so I figured this type of book would be exactly what I need to perk myself up. And WHOA MOMMA was this an awesome book! I really like the mythology behind the Grimms and the way they each ahve a history that ties into a fairytale/folklore. And the characters were r ...more
Rosa Maria Garcia
Oct 28, 2014 Rosa Maria Garcia rated it it was amazing
Great book

It was an interesting fairy tale and different. The story was exciting, with monsters, and heroes. Highly entertaining and can't wait to read the next book.
Jackie (Literary Escapism)
Overall, Candy Houses is an amazing story, and while it is an ebook, it is totally worth the effort of getting and reading it. There are not very many books that make me instantly want to get a sequel enough to preorder it, but as soon as I heard No Prince Charming was going to be released, that’s exactly what I did. In fact, I can tell you exactly how many novels I’ve preordered in the past two years, because I’ve only done it twice. Seriously, Candy Houses is a fabulous and everyone should be ...more
Claire
Nov 03, 2014 Claire rated it liked it
Interesting concept - Grimms as guardian angel type beings, whose origins are the inspiration for the fairy tales we all know and love.
Deb Diem
Not what I expected, but still a good read as always from Shiloh Walker.
Wench
TW: child sexual abuse, and yes it's mentioned starting on the like third page
crashqueen73
A nice story. I don't feel any more strongly than that. Quick and decent.
T.
Dec 02, 2014 T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded Candy Houses as a free book from Amazon. The book presented some interesting twists on the Grimm fairy tales, but I never really cared much for the plot or characters. It was worth a read, and some parts ere very intriguing, but I was never really sucked in. Horror and suspense readers may have more appreciation for the storyline.
Ahnah
Okay.....a few spelling errors that greatly irked me made this review a 4 star instead of 5 star review. This is definitely a promising series. I love the whole aspect of the Grimm's being fallen angels of a sort. Greta is actually Gretel from Grimm's Hansel and Gretel fairy tale...but in a very sadistic twist. This book is NOT for YA's or anyone who is easily offended. This book IS for those looking for a new twist on an old tale. Would reccomend and reread in the future.
Djg
Apr 05, 2013 Djg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually read this a couple of years ago and just re-read it.

I like the world building, but I think the romance got a bit lost in it. Both characters were likable but I wasn't crazy about the shifting POV even though it was easy to follow.

Overall, a good read by a solid author. I'll probably purchase the next in the series with the hope that the relationship will be more central (now that the setting is established).
holly quigley
Jan 21, 2015 holly quigley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I wanted to like this - it seemed like a setup for a pretty neat world. Just couldn't get around the writing/editing issues. :/
April Sarah
Jun 03, 2015 April Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, ebooks
I found this for free at the Kindle store along with a few others in the series.

I'm not sure what I was expecting to get but overall it wasn't half bad. It is an interesting spin on how fairy tales came to be and demon fighting.

For a first book there was a lot of flipping back and forth on the story line trying to get the whole back story somewhat told.
Katilyn
Jan 07, 2013 Katilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new take on all the old fairy tales! This book is great, Shiloh can keep you on the edge of your seat with a action, while pulling at your heart strings. She also doesn't leave anything to the imagination when it comes to the sec scenes. I wish that the book wad longer but all in all a fantastic read and I would recommend to anyone.
Shiloh Walker Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. September's Book 41 67 Nov 01, 2012 11:09AM
  • Little Red and the Wolf
  • The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments, #1)
  • Wilder's Mate (Bloodhounds, #1)
  • Slave Princess (Sons of Lyra, #1)
  • Blade of Moonlight (Midnight Justice #1)
  • Hunter's Moon (Moonstruck, #3)
  • A Happily Ever After of Her Own (Ever After 1)
  • Lost Wages of Sin (Sinners and Saints, #1)
  • Game Over (Guardian, #1)
  • Wedding Stud
  • Sin's Daughter (Otherkin, #0.5)
  • Heart of Fire
  • Marrying the Enemy
  • Victoria's Demon Lover
  • Hitmail dot com
  • Pure & Sinful (Pure Souls, #1)
  • Erotic Weekend
  • The Night Beat (Necropolis Enforcement Files #1)
Hello... thanks for swinging by. I don't log into Goodreads much, so if you have questions, please visit my website to email me through my site.
Thank you!

My other me.... J.C. Daniels

Bio...

Shiloh Walker has been writing since she was a kid. She fell in love with vampires with the book Bunnicula and has worked her way up to the more...ah...serious vampire stories. She loves reading and writing anyt
More about Shiloh Walker...

Grimm's Circle (10 books)
  • No Prince Charming (Grimm's Circle, #2)
  • Crazed Hearts (Grimm's Circle, #3)
  • Tarnished Knight (Grimm's Circle, #4)
  • Locked in Silence (Grimm's Circle, #5)
  • Grimm Tidings (Grimm's Circle, #6)
  • Blind Destiny (Grimm's Circle, #7)
  • Furious Fire (Grimm's Circle, #8)
  • Grimm's End
  • The Second Book of Grimm (Grimm's Circle, #3 & 4)