Start by marking “Little Girl in a Red Dress with Cat and Dog” as Want to Read:
Little Girl in a Red Dress with Cat and Dog

Little Girl in a Red Dress with Cat and Dog

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  3 reviews
That s me over the fireplace. When I was a little girl and living with my parents on the farm, Mr. Ammi Phillips came, and I sat for a portrait. Well, I almost sat. In those days, I couldn t sit still for long. The arrival of a travelling painter is cause for great delight when the young narrator is looking for someone to play with. She s too young to help the cook, her br...more
Published March 1st 1998 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Little Girl in a Red Dress with Cat and Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Girl in a Red Dress with Cat and Dog

Miriam
Pleasant fiction about what the life of the little girl in a real painting might have been like, and under what circumstances it might have been painted. The story of the littlest child being chosen because all the older siblings were too busy isn't too probable given the cost and social prestige of portraiture at the time, but it would be a fun project for elementary school kids.
Cheryl
Quite a charmer. A reasonable guess about what kind of family the painter Ammi Phillips met in New York when he painted this particular portrait. Historical note included. Both history and art come alive. Might be too quiet for some folk, but as another GR reviewer says, it does appeal to at least one 3 year old child.
Kelly
My three year old daughter LOVES this book, and asks to read it most nights for her bedtime story. The illustrations are gorgeous, and I enjoy reading it to her just as much as she loves hearing it.
Dana Beyer
Dana Beyer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Nicholas
Aug 29, 2012 Nicholas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Giovanna
Giovanna marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2012
Lisa Scott
Lisa Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2012
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2012
Jessica Dumitru
Jessica Dumitru marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2011
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2011
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
May 15, 2010
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2010
Nicholas B.A. Nicholson was born in New York and first visited the Soviet Union in the 1980’s. Informed by his time there, he developed an interest in Russian Fine and Decorative Art which led him to study Art History and Russian Area Studies at Kenyon College, from which he was graduated in 1991. Nicholson worked first for Karl Kemp, a premier dealer in continental furniture and decorative arts,...more
More about Nicholas B.A. Nicholson...
Object of Virtue: A Novel